You are not logged in.

#26 2009-12-18 13:34:34

resi

Re: GNOME, nautilus, devicekit-disks: mount USB disk

PirateJonno wrote:

maybe try it as root? anyway its a pretty ugly command, there must be a way to get it active in the first place...

Forgot to mention, doesn't work as root or user. I will investigate this (and possibly local authority configuration) when I return from christmas holidays (which start for me in approx. 1 hour ;-).

Thanks again, and merry christmas to all.

#27 2009-12-19 00:31:35

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

ok, have a good one. merry christmas!

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#28 2009-12-30 11:29:19

resi

Just to let you know, I tried a couple of thinks regarding ssh/vnc sessions and to mark these active within consolekit.

1.) I switched to gdm as (local) login manager. gdm deals with consolekit, the others (entrance) seem to lack support for consolekit. Even when tampering with entrance_wrapper and /etc/pam.d/entrance the best I could achieve was having inactive sessions registered.

2.) The same picture on ssh logins, adding pam_ck_connector to /etc/pam.d/sshd registers an inactive session, I found no way to make this active.

3.) Using ck-lauch-session seems to be equivalent, the session gets listed but is still inactive.

I found some hints on vnc configuration (http://defect.opensolaris.org/bz/show_bug.cgi?id=10915) but had no luck with that.
There seems to exist a tool to manage seats and sessions called ck-dynamic or ck-seat-tool, (see http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/c … 00015.html), but I didn't actually find its source.

man pam_ck_connector isn't very helpful either, but it all seems to depend from a magic "display-device" or "x11-display-device" which is not set (vnc) or not set correctly (ssh). It mentions CKCON_TTY and CKCON_X11_DISPLAY_DEVICE environment variables to overrule some of the magic behaviour, but I couldn't find more about this.

I also found the consolekit TODO which seems (for me) to indicate these features are just missing (at least ssh and login managers, I have no idea how vnc sessions will be handled):

TODO
====

- Patch all login managers to open CK sessions

- Make a registration interface for per-session
   idle time delegates

- Report idle time per Seat

- Establish what session-types should be

- Improve the ck-list-sessions interface

- Complete the documentation

- Make openssh report sessions correctly
   Not as easy as just using the PAM module.

- Figure out how to register activation handlers

- Use a configuration file for defining how to add sessions to seats

This means I will now stop messing around and wait for next versions to come with more documentation and ssh/vnc support.

#29 2010-08-10 05:30:15

drama

resi wrote:

After reading leeyees post I tried again with ck sessions. I almost forgot about that in my ssh logins. So here we go:

[resi@nomad ~]$ ck-launch-session 
[resi@nomad ~]$ ck-list-sessions 
Session7:
        unix-user = '1000'
        realname = 'Christoph Rissner'
        seat = 'Seat1'
        session-type = ''
        active = FALSE
        x11-display = ''
        x11-display-device = ''
        display-device = '/dev/pts/0'
        remote-host-name = ''
        is-local = TRUE
        on-since = '2009-12-17T11:12:37.181697Z'
        login-session-id = '4294967295'

/dev/pts/0 is the correct terminal, but now I see that the session is marked inactive. A quick pkcheck confirms this, I can now leave allow_any = no but only need allow_inactive.

How do I activate a console kit session? I assumed ck-lauch-session in an interactive shell would be enough, but thats obviously not true.

So everything seems to be fine, I just was awfully misguided on my way.

I know this is an old thread but i too have been struggleing with this same issue for many months. I noticed that the first person to login always gets a result of

active = TRUE

However once that person logs out everyone else including that person will always get

active = FALSE

That is until a system restart.

When i installed i followed the wiki almost to the letter. I chose a gnome desktop since thats what ive always used.

The following page

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … uide#GNOME

States the following

Next, edit your /etc/gdm/custom.conf and in the [servers] section add:

0=Standard vt7

Which i did do initially.

Then while i was attempting to solve a totally unrelated problem i started messing around with various "vt values" in that file. Then i just totally removed the "vt value" so it said

[servers]

0=Standard

And just that one simple changed solved all of my consolekit issues.

I ran a test i logged in and ran ck-list-sessions the current user was listed as active=true. Then i hit switch user and logge din with a second account. Now there was 2 accounts logged in. Ran ck-list-sessions again. The second user was listed as active=true. And the first as active=false. So i hit switch user again and entered the username and password for the first user. That user was now listed as active=true and the second user was listed as active=false.

I use gdm as my login manager. Actually gdm-old from the AUR. And was all done locally so i cant say if it will work or other login managers or for ssh/vnc. But for people using gdm and logging in locally this will mor ethan likely fix the problem for them. I just thought i would share my fix in the hope sthat it would help somebody. I would edit the wiki page adding a note about this but i honestly dont know anything about wiki editing and dont wanna screw anything up.

OS: Archlinux 64Bit Hardware: Cpu: Amd Sempron 3500+(2.0ghz) (socket 939), Ram: Kingston 1gb dual channel ddr (512mb x2), Gpu: BFG Nvidia 8400gs PciE 512mb (G98), Mobo: Asus a8ae-le/amberine-m (factory hp), Optical: LiteOn Dvd writer, HDD: Western Digital 160GB Sata, Soundcard: Dynex 5.1 Channel (VIA Envy24/ICE1724 chip), Monitor: MAG 565 15 inch Lcd

Board footer