You are not logged in.

#26 2009-12-23 06:35:13

reuben

Re: Is Arch good to use on a server? [solved]

asheguy79 wrote:

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, got the RAID and server up running on Gentoo.

You are one crazy dude. And remember to be careful with 'emerge -auD world'. Also revdep-rebuild is your friend, and when all else fails 'emerge --emptytree world'.

Personally, the experience of running mythtv on gentoo was enough to scare me away. These days I run mythtv on slackware, and I'd also consider that a good choice for a server. Debian Stable is a good choice if you don't mind ancient packages.

Last edited by reuben (2009-12-23 06:38:24)

#27 2009-12-23 12:29:13

TemplarGR

Well... since i am new to Arch and this forum, i decided not to write anything about this topic even though it was tempting. But since some people already mentioned that Gentoo is not the best choice, i will just say what i have in mind.

To put it simply, this guy just wanted to start a flame war. He didn't need any advice from us. I had suspected his post from the start, and his last message confirmed my suspicions. I have been a Fedora user for many years, and i have switched many distributions, and tested even more. Including gentoo. There is no way a sane man would install Fedora alpha on his main and only computer. NO WAY. Fedora isn't stable even with "final" editions... Even if he did, then that would mean that he was a competent linux user and wouldn't really need any advice, especially such a novice advice... And most of all, he would know that more or less most distributions can act like a home server, with some tweaking.

He was tired of constant updating then he installed gentoo(and Arch)... Oh well... And is it just a coincidence that there is a rivalry(i have noticed many arch vs gentoo discussions) between Arch and Gentoo, and he tossed the name Gentoo in here? Only a naive person would believe that he needed advice...

Anyway i really liked the way you guys handled his question. This proves that arch users are on the most part mature enought to avoid flamebates. In the past, i have experienced much worse reactions in other forums, of other distros. I really like the community of Arch just like the distro.

#28 2009-12-24 06:27:30

fumbles

Last edited by fumbles (2020-09-26 11:29:02)

#29 2009-12-24 08:59:59

mvdvarrier

Hello friends,
wink
I am using arch in couple of file servers (without GUI) in my home network. With these humble experience my observations are
Merits
Really fast performance in file sharing, and network services.
Can install softwares only needed that makes the system lean & mean.
The most important thing; Community Support; Throw any complicated problem to Arch Forum, It will be examined by the experts and in 99% cases solution can be achieved  by careful reading and sensible posting in the forum. It stands higher than any professional support. Even if such professional support can solve the problem for money or as warranty they hides the way to the solution. Some reading, search and digging will surely make a system administrator  more efficient in his job. I think this is a bonus.
Of course some quirks are there like instability due to up gradation and such things.
My suggestion is that avoid GUI, third party softwares, and ambitious and hasty upgradings.  Stick on basic but core programs that are shipped with mainstream OS. Avoid several programs for the same task. For example if your network has only Linux machines  and your needs may agree use open ssh for both file sharing and remote administration. This will not only minimize consumption of  computer resources but also security risks. In such a situation usage of samba or nfs or even ftp is an overkill.  That means tailoring for each individual.
By adhering simple but firm and clear system policy I found that Arch Linux is better  for servers than to  desktops.
Note: - tongue I fear I turned little over talkative of the things that everybody knows better than me!

Last edited by mvdvarrier (2009-12-24 13:48:32)

mvdvarrier is a Warrior; Born to Expedite!!!

Board footer