You are not logged in.

#26 2010-01-10 15:27:52

pointone
Wiki Admin

Re: The current state of ArchWiki internationalization

Well, it's almost official. Please see Help:i18n for near-complete draft of the final product of this discussion. Please voice any objections/suggestions now before it's too late!

I'm still looking for feedback regarding category naming. I believe they, too, should follow the "English" naming scheme for similar reasons (facilitate administration and inter-language linking).

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#27 2010-01-10 18:43:07

faelar
Website

ArchWiki wrote:

Localized titles can and should be created, but must redirect to the English-named article as described above. Redirect titles need not include language tags. For example: Manuel du débutant redirets to Beginners' Guide (Français).

That would be a better idea to do it the other way. The title you see must be in the same language than the whole page don't you think ? So I advise you to redirect the reader from Beginners' Guide (Français) to Manuel du débutant.

#28 2010-01-10 18:56:53

pointone
Wiki Admin

The reason why content is included in English-named articles and localized titles redirect is because this is the title that appears in various "Special" pages used for wiki maintenance/administration. Further, with the new i18n template, links to the current page will be blacked-out so as to indicate which version of the page is currently being viewed. Otherwise, separate i18n links must be maintained on each translation, which has proven to be a maintenance nightmare.

#29 2010-01-10 22:11:58

Gen2ly
Website

pointone wrote:

Well, it's almost official. Please see Help:i18n for near-complete draft of the final product of this discussion. Please voice any objections/suggestions now before it's too late!

I'm still looking for feedback regarding category naming. I believe they, too, should follow the "English" naming scheme for similar reasons (facilitate administration and inter-language linking).

Yeah, IMHO categories should be renamed too.  For those thinking of translation concerns, this won't have effect on their respective Main Pages and Table of Contents so navigation should still be fairly feasible in several areas.  For any willing to help for those pages that don't have a fully localised redirect to their 'English Title (Lingua)' equivalent (e.g. many of the (Deutsch) pages don't) you can probably help numerous people by doing so.

On note of the categories, this is going to take some dedication big_smile.  When I moved titles to their new English title, there was around 500 articles to do so.  For categories, I'm guessing this number would be around (1000-1500, possibly more).  Translators will be needed (though I supposed Google Translate will do) and then all pages that contain the category will need to be updated(?).  From what I remember categories cant' be 'moved', right???

Last edited by Gen2ly (2010-01-10 22:15:09)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#30 2010-01-11 16:46:19

pointone
Wiki Admin

Correct; AFAIK there is no "automatic" way to move categories. Pages must be manually edited to be moved from one category to another, then the content of the category page itself must be manually copied to the new category page.

I have been considering coding a simple Python + mechanize script to handle the bulk of this, but am worried about simple mistakes causing major damage. I am relatively unfamiliar with MediaWiki bots/scripts/extensions that may exist, as well, and would hate to "re-invent the wheel", as it were.

It would appear that 1/2 the language categories already follow the "English" naming scheme, so this task may not be as overwhelming as it appears at first glance. Further, many translated categories are empty or contain only a handful of pages. The difficult ones will be Spanish and the Chinese categories, I believe.

Before embarking, I would like to begin by including [[Template:i18n]] on English category pages -- this will allow us to more easily see which categories exist and which still require attention.

#31 2011-03-15 19:02:22

sironitomas
Website

I'd like to help with spanish translations, but I don't know which pages need to be translated. Can anyone tell me how to get that info?

Board footer