You are not logged in.

#101 2010-01-18 21:17:38

thoughtcrime
Website

Re: VOTE: Logo contest: Arch Hurd [vote now over]

kolbycrouch wrote:
thoughtcrime wrote:
kolbycrouch wrote:

But when your talking about the gnu kernel, the gnu userland and the gnu c library. You plan on changing any of this?

The point is the GNU userland. One could theoretically also use non-gnu software with the hurd kernel.

Yes theoretically. That implies that Arch calls itself a "Linux" distribution because one day (hypothetically) the devs may decide to use the netbsd userland and libc?

I am not quite sure if we are talking about exactly the same thing. Arch does use the GNU userland, but also plenty non-gnu apps, which can be easily installed. Truecrypt is an example, its source is open, but it has a messy own license, which is afaik not GNU compatible.

- blog (about arch and other stuff): http://thoughtyblog.wordpress.com/
- x86_64 user

#102 2010-01-18 21:20:54

kolbycrouch

thoughtcrime wrote:
kolbycrouch wrote:
thoughtcrime wrote:

The point is the GNU userland. One could theoretically also use non-gnu software with the hurd kernel.

Yes theoretically. That implies that Arch calls itself a "Linux" distribution because one day (hypothetically) the devs may decide to use the netbsd userland and libc?

I am not quite sure if we are talking about exactly the same thing. Arch does use the GNU userland, but also plenty non-gnu apps, which can be easily installed. Truecrypt is an example, its source is open, but it has a messy own license, which is afaik not GNU compatible.

I'm not talking about all the other apps, im talking about the core OS, kernel, userland and libc. I see what your getting at. Yes you may distribute your images with other software, But by that logic calling it arch linux is incorrect, see as it distributes alot more than a kernel.

#103 2010-01-18 21:25:15

thoughtcrime
Website

kolbycrouch wrote:
thoughtcrime wrote:
kolbycrouch wrote:

I'm not talking about all the other apps, im talking about the core OS, kernel, userland and libc. I see what your getting at. Yes you may distribute your images with other software, But by that logic calling it arch linux is incorrect, see as it distributes alot more than a kernel.

They call it GNU/Linux distribution on the about page: http://www.archlinux.org/about/

But this is - again - getting way off-topic and I belive that this discussion has been done a thousand times anyway.

- blog (about arch and other stuff): http://thoughtyblog.wordpress.com/
- x86_64 user

#104 2010-01-18 21:33:50

kolbycrouch

agreed, didn't mean to hijack a thread, and I'm not trying to start any kind of flame war.

Back to the original topic. #3 is the best by far.

#105 2010-01-18 23:00:24

thisoldman

#3 please

#106 2010-01-18 23:44:23

flamelab

It's done guys, 3 was chosen big_smile big_smile

#107 2010-01-19 02:47:48

zowki
Website

Cant you see the logo has already been decided? This topic should come to rest now.

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#108 2010-01-19 06:59:16

sevcsik
Website

zowki wrote:

Cant you see the logo has already been decided? This topic should come to rest now.

have I already said that I vote for #3? wink

#109 2010-01-19 07:35:34

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

It has a flavour of KISS to me. smile

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#110 2010-01-19 08:48:38

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

i actually liked #5 http://omploader.org/vMzl6aQ/archhurd_variation3.png better, it's a nice take on the Arch logo that illustrates how the Hurd project is still young and open for improvement.

so is voting still open? wink

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#111 2010-01-19 13:51:40

whacath

litemotiv wrote:

i actually liked #5 http://omploader.org/vMzl6aQ/archhurd_variation3.png better, it's a nice take on the Arch logo that illustrates how the Hurd project is still young and open for improvement.

so is voting still open? wink

Yeah and it kinda goes togheter with the orginal GNU hurd logo too.

But #3 is also equivalent beautiful as #5 so it doesnt really matter! smile

#112 2010-01-24 08:08:57

antrik
Website

Just to clarify the naming stuff: when referring to the Hurd itself, i.e. the kernel, we say either "Hurd" or "GNU Hurd". The "GNU" part is not strictly necessary, as it's pretty unambiguous really: there is no other software-related project with this name, nor any variants etc. -- nothing that would make it necessary to stress that we are talking about the GNU project here. However, I still usually say "GNU Hurd" when adressing the general public, simply because the play on words is not obvious otherwise :-)

"GNU/Hurd" is the term we use when referring to GNU-based distributions using the Hurd for the kernel (like Debian GNU/Hurd) -- as opposed to GNU/Linux, i.e. GNU-based distributions using Linux for the kernel.

As the Hurd is the official GNU kernel, saying "GNU/Hurd" instead of just "GNU" may seem a bit redundant. We do not generally say just "GNU" though when talking about distributions, as GNU was originally meant to be a compelete system, i.e. have it's own "official" releases. Although nobody is presently working on such, we still prefer to keep the term reserved, and say "GNU/Hurd" when talking about third-party distributions, as opposed to a (possible) official GNU system release.

As for Arch, strictly speaking "Arch GNU/Hurd" would be the proper name; like "Arch GNU/Linux" would for the standard variant -- after all, they are not Arch variants of the Linux or Hurd kernels; but rather both are Arch variants of a GNU-based system, using Linux or Hurd as the kernel respectively. However, considering that "archlinux" is generally established, and the kernel is what actually makes "archhurd" different from it, I think that's quite OK for the short form at least -- mentioning the "GNU/" part only in the Hurd variant would make no sense, as that's the part the two variants actually both have in common...

Last edited by antrik (2010-01-24 08:09:58)

Board footer