You are not logged in.

#26 2010-01-24 08:50:32

JN

Re: DHCPCD wont give NIC an IP address [SOLVED]

JuseBox wrote:

Can you try a live cd of something else with the current setup?

*sigh*
I was almost hoping it wouldn't work. That would've made things easier. *lol*

/me bangs head on wall...

EDIT:
I'm not entirely sure, this isn't the router. Does anyone know about the quirks of linksys routers (specifically the one I mentioned). Quirks that can possibly bother DHCPCD?

Last edited by JN (2010-01-24 09:00:26)

#27 2010-01-24 10:55:53

M177ER

I'm have no idea why this isn't working for you but would you be willing to try Wicd instead of having having the network daemon?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wicd
You can also go back to this if it doesn't work.

Last edited by M177ER (2010-01-24 10:56:27)

#28 2010-01-24 17:47:40

anonymous_user

This may sound weird but boot into a Linux LiveCD where the network does work, trying browsing to confirm the internet is working, then exit and boot back into Arch and see if you can get an IP.

#29 2010-01-24 18:36:52

JN

I just want to thank everybody for the help you've all offered thus far. This has been going on for incredibly long and I'm thankful for all the ideas you guys have offered.

----------

M177ER wrote:

I'm have no idea why this isn't working for you but would you be willing to try Wicd instead of having having the network daemon?
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wicd
You can also go back to this if it doesn't work.

1. Wicd depends on dhcpcd. How is it bypassing the problem?
2. Installing Wicd will be difficult without an Internet connection. A problem exacerbated by it's dependencies and [in some cases] the dependencies of it's dependencies. It may require relatively very little, but I'm still with only the initial install of a core system.

anonymous_user wrote:

...confirm the internet is working, then exit and boot back into Arch and see if you can get an IP.

It is working. The only computer on this network that can't get online is the Arch one. But this isn't even about the Internet yet, I still can't get an IP from the router. If I can't get a successful DHCP session going with my router, for all intensive purposes there is no Internet.

Last edited by JN (2010-01-24 18:41:16)

#30 2010-01-24 18:54:27

anonymous_user

I meant to boot the LiveCD on your Arch box and see if you can get an IP using a different distro.

#31 2010-01-24 19:08:52

JN

anonymous_user wrote:

I meant to boot the LiveCD on your Arch box and see if you can get an IP using a different distro.

Oh I see. Well, we already tried that. Arch live doesn't work but other OSes on this laptop do.

#32 2010-01-24 19:11:03

anonymous_user

After trying another distro, try going back to Arch and see if you can get an IP then.

#33 2010-01-24 19:12:03

manuC

Long shot, but... check your router's configuration as well. I've known routers to have access-control lists that only let certain MAC adresses get a DHCP address.

You should be able to browse that, even if you have no internet, by surfing to 192.168.1.1 directly. Depending on your model you might also have a log there that could shed some light on what is going on.

#34 2010-01-24 19:16:03

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Could it be driver related? Are you sure that e1000 is the correct driver, and not e100 or perhaps eepro100?
Did you lsmod on Debian/*buntu to compare?

edit: I see you have the gigabit version...which means it would make sense to have the e1000...
It may still be worth a shot(?)

Last edited by Misfit138 (2010-01-24 19:17:33)

#35 2010-01-24 20:09:17

ScottArch

Hi folks,

I (and many other people on the forums) currently have a very similar issue. The details of my issue are here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=89315

A similar post from yprum is here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 76#p694576

Do we all have generally the same issue. this looks likely to me anyways, although I am no expert.

Its strange that I can sometimes connect, and other times not. Baffled! Is this a common discussion on the forums generally or is there something currently happening with a piece of software. Many people seem to be saying that they have used Arch fine before (as I have), and are having problems now after a new install.

I will be sure to post here if I can resolve this issue in my case.

Cheers,

Scott

Acer Aspire 5920G - 2Ghz Core 2 Duo T7300 - 256mb Nvidia 8600GS - 4GB RAM

#36 2010-01-24 20:32:03

JN

manuC wrote:

Long shot, but... check your router's configuration as well. I've known routers to have access-control lists that only let certain MAC adresses get a DHCP address.

It doesn't have an access-control list. Even if it did, I've been online with it before Arch so it already have had the MAC.

Misfit138 wrote:

Could it be driver related? ...e100 or perhaps eepro100?
...it would make sense to have the e1000...
It may still be worth a shot(?)

The network wouldn't start up when I had loaded e100 ("dhcpcd: eth0: interface not found or invalid") and I don't have eepro100. Thanks for the idea.

#37 2010-01-24 20:48:21

JN

ScottArch wrote:

Hi folks,

I (and many other people on the forums) currently have a very similar issue. ... Do we all have generally the same issue. ... Its strange that I can sometimes connect, and other times not.

Our issues could be similar and I am almost hoping they are; it would mean I'm not the only one! However, you said that you can sometimes connect to your home network. That would be an improvement.

ScottArch wrote:

I was using Arch fine for months but decided to reinstall it fresh at the new year, but since then I have been plagued by connection issues.

Funny cause I have used previous builds of Arch before and had no network trouble ever. Dare I say, has someone broken something for many of us in the current build?

I'm thinking I might try burning an out-dated build and then trying to upgrade; however, after some (apparently) major changes a while back --normal updating broke my system-- I was forced to do a fresh install of the then current build.

#38 2010-01-24 21:40:04

ploub

As has been suggested already, why don't you give dhclient a shot? There have been many threads over the past few months on this sort of problem and IMO there must be an issue with dhcpcd. After banging my head against the wall and getting nowhere I installed dhclient and the connection came up right away. You will need to edit the /etc/rc.d/network script to get it working.
Good luck!

#39 2010-01-24 22:45:13

ScottArch

Hi there,

Ploub: I thought of that the last reinstall I did and installed the package at install. I have tried selecting the dhclient option in WICD and I thought that was it. Could you point me in the direction of something that details the correct usage of dhclient? I am ok with the basics on Arch, but I am a noob at any kind of advanced configuration. I have searched, and I am sure it has been covered but I cannot find anything like an ArchWiki to help...

JN: Try connecting at another network. I normally connect at the work network and it works, then when I get home my own connection works. The next day ... you guessed it, mine is on the blink again. Weird!

yprum (see link above) commented on my thread stating that a static IP sorted the issue, then after an upgrade, he went back to dhcp and everything was fixed. Because I can connect at work, I am up to date with the dhcp package so this is not a fix for me. Maybe give an upgrade (somehow) a go.

If we establish my issue and yours is exactly the same, I will close my thread by directing everyone to here. Strength in numbers and all that.

I appreciate your help. I am so close I can smell it.

Cheers, Scott

#40 2010-01-24 23:59:56

JN

I'm going to test my system again on another LAN. This time around, I should have more time. That means I'll have more detailed data about my situation.

Whether that works, I'll install dhclient and see if that works any better.

...let you know by some time tomorrow.

#41 2010-01-25 07:42:03

ploub

ScottArch wrote:

Hi there,

Ploub: I thought of that the last reinstall I did and installed the package at install. I have tried selecting the dhclient option in WICD and I thought that was it. Could you point me in the direction of something that details the correct usage of dhclient? I am ok with the basics on Arch, but I am a noob at any kind of advanced configuration. I have searched, and I am sure it has been covered but I cannot find anything like an ArchWiki to help...

Well if you're using wicd then the network daemon is disabled, right? I had the network daemon starting in /etc/rc.conf (no network manager or wicd) and changed the section in /etc/rc.d/network starting dhcpcd to

eval ifcfg="\$${1}"
    if [ "$ifcfg" = "dhcp" ]; then
        # remove the .pid file if it exists
#        /bin/rm -f /var/run/dhcpcd-${1}.pid >/dev/null 2>&1
#        /bin/rm -f /var/run/dhcpcd-${1}.cache >/dev/null 2>&1
        /sbin/dhclient
    else
        /sbin/ifconfig $ifcfg
    fi
    return $?

HTH

#42 2010-01-25 08:40:21

ScottArch

JN: Good luck...

ploub: So does that mean that there is no additional config, or additional daemons, to use dhclinet through WICD? If this is so, then using the dhclient option in WICD does not fix anything for me. The network daemon is disabled.

Scott

#43 2010-01-25 10:41:45

ploub

ScottArch wrote:

ploub: So does that mean that there is no additional config, or additional daemons, to use dhclinet through WICD? If this is so, then using the dhclient option in WICD does not fix anything for me. The network daemon is disabled.

Well, it just worked for me. If you tried it with wicd and it didn't work then I guess it's something else...

#44 2010-01-25 10:51:38

ScottArch

I tried connecting at work and it worked, I then changed my connection settings to dhclinet in WICD, restarted, and it did not work. There is some configuration for dhclient that I am missing. I will try and address this when I get home.

I tried using the network daemon to connect to my etherenet and no joy. Perhaps network daemon and dhclinet is the answer. I am very keen to use WICD or networkmanager as a front end, as it makes my life much easier though.

#45 2010-01-25 23:26:59

ScottArch

Ok as I said, my connection is fickle so I need to see if this is really a fix but...

I remember once looking at /etc/resolv.conf and it looked like this:

# Generated by dhcpcd from wlan0
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

I was unfamiliar with how this should look so I was not alerted to the issue until I looked today during one of the moments of lucidity for WICD (it connects after I have connected at work!) and it looked like this:

# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
nameserver 89.101.160.4
nameserver 89.101.160.5

This nameserver is the Chorus/NTL nameserver (my ISP). On the back of this, I edited /etc/resolv.conf.head, but unsure whether this was going to cause issues when I try to connect to another network (anyone know?), I added the address for the Google Public DNS (you could use OpenDNS too) as a third party solution to /etc/resolv.conf.head like so:

# First Google public DNS server
nameserver 8.8.8.8
# Second Google public DNS server
nameserver 8.8.4.4

and now /etc/resolv.conf reads:

# First Google public DNS server
nameserver 8.8.8.8
# Second Google public DNS server
nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 89.101.160.4
nameserver 89.101.160.5

I believe this reads the contents from /etc/resolv.conf.head, and reverts to the network DNS assigned by dhcpcd, only when unavailable. If this works after many tests, I may prevent dhcpcd from writing to /etc/resolv.conf at all and stick with Google.

I hope this does not read like noob bollocks smile ... There is a possibility I am missing something here ...

Scott

Last edited by ScottArch (2010-01-25 23:28:39)

#46 2010-01-26 06:17:10

JN

Okay so, here we go!

I tested my system on another network. Dhcpcd acquired an IP address for eth0 just fine. I was fully connected. So, I obviously took the opportunity to "pacman -Syu" and install dhclient.

The interesting thing happened when I got back to my network, with the linksys router, and tried to connect to it with my updated dhcpcd. Instead of just hanging on "[BUSY]", it told me it failed do to a timeout during the DHCP server discovery. Just like several people have suggested --when I used dhclient on the same linksys network, it worked just fine (IP addresses, DNS, websites, and all).

LESSON:
  * dhcpcd, in its default setup, cannot connect [at least] to some Linksys routers.
  * dhclient has an easier time communicating with some servers that dhcpcd does.
  * Either dhclient is the solution to dhcpcd's inabilities or dhcpcd's normal configs are put together without consideration for something important to a number of people's setups.

Should I update this thread to solved or do people still want to attempt getting dhcpcd to work?

#47 2010-01-26 13:39:49

pressh
Developer/TU

JN wrote:

Should I update this thread to solved or do people still want to attempt getting dhcpcd to work?

please test dhcpcd 5.1.4-2 in [testing] and contribute to http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17838 if you can.

#48 2010-01-27 04:19:20

JN

Okay, marked as solved & the initial post has been updated to reflect the situation.

Hope we can have this fixed for the next Arch dhcpcd release.

#49 2010-01-27 17:51:04

linfan

I am tired of this dhcpcd not working, so I downgraded to 5.1.3-1 and put dhcpcd in IgnorePkg in pacman.conf. [snip]

Moderator edit: watch your language, there's better ways to vent your unhappiness.

Last edited by .:B:. (2010-01-27 18:02:24)

#50 2010-01-27 17:59:18

pyther
Website

linfan wrote:

I am tired of this dhcpcd not working, so I downgraded to 5.1.3-1 and put dhcpcd in IgnorePkg in pacman.conf.

Awfully harsh for something that is free! I don't see you contributing. Hell, there isn't even a bug report in the tracker: http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?str … &project=3

Why don't you file a bug report, let the maintainer know there is an issue (tell him nicely). Most devs don't read the bbs. How the hell is the maintainer going know if there is an issue and even if the maintainer reads the bbs who is to say he'd come across this thread?!

Plain rude and disrespectful!

Last edited by pyther (2010-01-27 18:05:50)

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

Board footer