You are not logged in.

#376 2010-03-04 00:26:48

godane
Website

Re: ArchBang 2.00 RC1

I'm working on a folk of archbang called archbang-live. I just uploaded the profile to my github account under testing branch.

Here are the features in my fork:
* a xdg-like menu called Program. This is so i don't have to edit the menu all the time when i added something.
* slim support. Only openbox is option for slim right now.
* Logout option. Added oblogout package for this one to work.
Standard archiso-live features:
* squashfs+lzma support.
* findiso boot option so you can boot from iso with grub 2.
* modpath boot option so you can add a folder of extra squashfs+lzma modules from you hard drive or usb stick. (ex. modpath=modules)
* changes and copy2ram boot option work like in slax.

So i want to know what people think about this idea. I just think i can do it better with my build scripts then with the official archiso scripts.

I hope this helps.

I'm working on a live cds based on Archlinux. http://godane.wordpress.com/

#377 2010-03-04 02:08:35

sHyLoCk

@ godane

Can't find archbang-live in your github.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#378 2010-03-04 02:17:10

godane
Website

@sHyLoCk
Its in testing branch.
here is the link the profile in testing branch:
http://github.com/godane/archiso-live/t … hbang-live

I hope this helps.

#379 2010-03-04 02:26:35

sHyLoCk

Thanks will take a look. smile

~ Regards,
sHy

#380 2010-03-04 02:28:09

vrkalak
Website

Like many, many others ... I found and downloaded ArchBang via Torrent.

I had already read WillExtreme's blog on How-to install Arch.

After putting the LiveCD and gone past the Log-in screen ... it was refreshing to be welcomed to a GUI and not just the Command Line.

A well developed minimalist Arch OS with Openbox ... great job.

Now ... I'm torn between ... SqueezeBang and ArchBang.   There's that GNU/Linux principle again ... Choices!!

Fluxbox Junkie!! | <Debian> <ArchLinux> | my DeviantART

#381 2010-03-04 04:58:14

godane
Website

@sHyLoCk
I found out that there is a Crunchbang Panel. big_smile

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=26444

I hope this helps.

#382 2010-03-04 07:02:13

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Wow Archbang project has been forked already! if details of how to build your Archbang were added to wiki page then I am sure more people would come onboard

MrG

Mr Green

#383 2010-03-04 10:50:02

moulari

first a big thank you to the developers of archbang, installed it on my little eeepc last night and it was a breeze. If recently used Linux Mint Fluxbox and really liked the auto updating menu they had in place there. Any chance of getting something like this on archbang as well. See a description of the menu http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Mint-fm2

#384 2010-03-04 11:08:25

sHyLoCk

Mr Green wrote:

Wow Archbang project has been forked already! if details of how to build your Archbang were added to wiki page then I am sure more people would come onboard

MrG

Making the project isn't that difficult as we are using archiso and it already has a detailed wiki section. What ArchBang needs are a few good programmers to help us out. And a huge no. of testers are already there! We received a huge response not only from Arch community but also from Ubuntu, crunchbang,etc. Anyway, it's an open project anyone feel like participating are invited and welcome to do so. Just drop me an email so that I can send you our templates and dossier. wink

~ Regards,
sHy

#385 2010-03-04 11:12:08

sHyLoCk

godane wrote:

@sHyLoCk
I found out that there is a Crunchbang Panel. big_smile

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=26444

I hope this helps.

tint2 is more K.I.S.S. tongue

moulari

No idea about auto-updating. If you are talking about system update tools,then Arch hasnone. AUR has many but none of them are considered good enough. Chakra guys have a beautiful tool called shaman, but it will not be installed by default in ArchBang.You can always install what you need using packer.

~ Regards,
sHy

#386 2010-03-04 11:16:57

moulari

@sHyLoCk If already read about Shaman and other Package Managers for Arch. I was referring to an auto updating main menu. e.g. when i install pidgin i would automatically appear in the Internet Section of the main menu

#387 2010-03-04 11:48:49

handy

moulari wrote:

@sHyLoCk If already read about Shaman and other Package Managers for Arch. I was referring to an auto updating main menu. e.g. when i install pidgin i would automatically appear in the Internet Section of the main menu

I don't think that there is anything that does that with Openbox at this stage.  I have been using Openbox for some time & have not heard of such a thing. 

Naturally I would of course be very happy to be wrong. smile

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#388 2010-03-04 11:55:56

ammon

I see you only have "exit" in menu. It would be better to use something like this...

gPpA0.png

This is gxmessage running this script:

#!/bin/bash

gxmessage "Du ju viš tu kontinju?" -center -title "Take action" -font "Sans bold 10" -default "Cancel" -buttons "_Cancel":1,"_Kill X":2,"_Reboot":3,"_Shut down":4,"_Suspend":5 >/dev/null 

case $? in
    1)
        echo "Exit";;
    2)
        xkill;;
    3)
        sudo reboot;;
    4)
        sudo halt;;
    5)  
        sudo pm-suspend ;;
esac

And you need to edit sudoers to enable user to use halt, suspend, and reboot without password.

#389 2010-03-04 12:02:00

sHyLoCk

@ammon

cool! We actually thought of something like that.

<item label="Shutdown">
                        <action name="Execute">
                                <prompt>
                                        Are your sure you want to shutdown?
                                </prompt>
                                <execute>
                                        xterm -e "sleep 5 && sudo shutdown -h now"
                                </execute>
                        </action>
                </item>

But I guess putting them all in one place makes more sense.

~ Regards,
sHy

#390 2010-03-04 12:10:17

danielrmt

moulari wrote:

You can use the obm-xdg pipemenu that is bundled with obmenu. It won't work unless you install the gnome-menus package, but don't worry it does not depend on the whole gnome, only pygtk.

Last edited by danielrmt (2010-03-04 12:11:46)

#391 2010-03-04 12:10:50

ammon

I run this script via ob menu. So I click on "exit" and that window showes up. Sry, i forgot to mention that.

</item>
        <item label="exit">
            <action name="Execute">
                <execute>
                    /home/user/bin/exit
                </execute>
            </action>
        </item>

*/home/user/bin/exit is that script.

So this is nothing but cheap way to emulate gnome/xfce behaviour.

#392 2010-03-04 12:35:12

MikeT
Website

handy wrote:
moulari wrote:

I don't think that there is anything that does that with Openbox at this stage.  I have been using Openbox for some time & have not heard of such a thing. 

Naturally I would of course be very happy to be wrong. smile

Add mmaker -vf OpenBox3 to autostart.sh?  Not sure if the menus are read before or after  autostart is run so it might be a tad out of date.

Not @ home so can't check if this would work.

#393 2010-03-04 16:13:30

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

There are millions of livecds [well lots....] but Archbang stands out just purely on speed...

Cannot see me as a developer but would love to have a go at building Archbang

MrG

Mr Green

#394 2010-03-04 16:46:18

jorpheus

MikeT wrote:

Add mmaker -vf OpenBox3 to autostart.sh?  Not sure if the menus are read before or after  autostart is run so it might be a tad out of date.

Another option would be the archlinux-xdg-menu package.

#395 2010-03-04 17:01:33

sHyLoCk

xdg_menu and ammon's quit script added. smile

~ Regards,
sHy

#396 2010-03-04 18:08:37

whompus

csat wrote:

Hello

I tried archbang-2.00-RC1-x86_64.iso to my Dell notebook that has a SATA hard drive and can only get the splash screen to choose Archbang, Archbang [intel], ArchBang [failsafevesa], Memory tester. My laptop works with AMD Turion 64.

After selecting ArchBang as the first option presented initramfs Loading, Starting udevd ... done and then Buffer I / O error on device sr0, logical block 1048576, and a sequence of block addresses until the final message ERROR: boot device did not show up after 30 seconds.

On my desktop, that also uses a DVD / CD-RW SATA like,  the same type of error is presented.

Already tested two types of recording on 2 different CDs. The iso image is perfect because I can install ArchBang 2:00 RC1 using VirtualBox.

Sorry but I don't know how to fix it.

I had the same error on a brand new laptop with no O/S installed, found a setting in the BIOS under Advanced Menu for Installed O/S which was set to vista, after changing to other I have now got ArchBang installed. It may be worth trying.

#397 2010-03-04 21:23:09

akurei
Website

sHyLoCk wrote:

What ArchBang needs are a few good programmers to help us out.

I don't know if I count as "good programmer", but I'd be glad to help out. All I need is some guidance. I've never done something like working on a distribution.

What do you guys need? I have about 6 months of spare time laying in front of me (till I start studying in Bochum on a new university). Someone just needs to tell me where I can help. No problem.

#398 2010-03-05 01:28:42

csat

whompus wrote:
csat wrote:

Hello

I tried archbang-2.00-RC1-x86_64.iso to my Dell notebook that has a SATA hard drive and can only get the splash screen to choose Archbang, Archbang [intel], ArchBang [failsafevesa], Memory tester. My laptop works with AMD Turion 64.

After selecting ArchBang as the first option presented initramfs Loading, Starting udevd ... done and then Buffer I / O error on device sr0, logical block 1048576, and a sequence of block addresses until the final message ERROR: boot device did not show up after 30 seconds.

On my desktop, that also uses a DVD / CD-RW SATA like,  the same type of error is presented.

Already tested two types of recording on 2 different CDs. The iso image is perfect because I can install ArchBang 2:00 RC1 using VirtualBox.

Sorry but I don't know how to fix it.

I had the same error on a brand new laptop with no O/S installed, found a setting in the BIOS under Advanced Menu for Installed O/S which was set to vista, after changing to other I have now got ArchBang installed. It may be worth trying.

Thanks, whompus.  I don't have such options to my Dell 131-L at Advanced BIOS menu.  It seems to me that VirtualBox has its own BIOS with some features not present into the host BIOS or vice-versa.  Both ISO file and recorded CD works fine along VirtualBox.  My desktop is Gigabyte X58-UD4p, I7 920, and SATA HD & CDrom.

CSAT
Arch User

#399 2010-03-05 07:37:09

mips1

The changes and updates seem relatively small so how bout a optional repo (or AUR) we can update from instead of downloading a new iso image each time and reinstalling?

So far I'm experiencing a few issues. Things become unresponsive like clicking on icons in tint2 does nothing. Selecting items in obmenu does not always work (all of them), other times it's just Reboot & Exit that does not respond. Conky shortcuts & terminal commands do however respond. Last night for some odd reason my network (wired) stopped working after a forced poweroff(hardware switch). These issues I find weird as i have never experienced anything like it before on Arch or Openbox.

#400 2010-03-05 07:54:27

sHyLoCk

mips1 wrote:

The changes and updates seem relatively small so how bout a optional repo (or AUR) we can update from instead of downloading a new iso image each time and reinstalling?

So far I'm experiencing a few issues. Things become unresponsive like clicking on icons in tint2 does nothing. Selecting items in obmenu does not always work (all of them), other times it's just Reboot & Exit that does not respond. Conky shortcuts & terminal commands do however respond. Last night for some odd reason my network (wired) stopped working after a forced poweroff(hardware switch). These issues I find weird as i have never experienced anything like it before on Arch or Openbox.

We have not created any packages ourselves. All packages are either from official repos or AUR. So as far as updating is concerned you can do it yourself using packer.
I do agree on the frequency of releases.In 2 months we had 7 releases. The reason is that,it was a new and first time experience for us. We wanted to do it perfectly. Each time we got a huge number of suggestions and comments in the next release we struggled to fix/introduce them. There was not even a thought about an installer,but we did it due to your requests. Both me and Will have decided that now that we have made it this far, it's time to progress and improve in a large scale and do most of the testing ourselves before putting it out for public. RC2 will be out in April. Major changes will be made. New kernel, new looks and possibly fixing installer and other issues.

In the end,you should realize that ArchBang = Arch linux. So you know whom to blame. tongue Jokes apart, I think your issues are occurring due to improper installation. Please re-install. I have not received "system unresponsive" bug yet from anyone. But obviously,I'll take a look at your problem. Thanks again for testing! [Remember this is RC and strictly for testing!]

~ Regards,
sHy

Board footer