You are not logged in.

#176 2010-02-10 06:56:15

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: ArchBang 2.00 RC1

Well keeping it simple then yes pacman is all you need, users can still build packages under Archbang if they really need too... not sure I would want to build a kernel using a livecd smile

Mr Green

#177 2010-02-10 16:31:41

lilsirecho
Veteran

FWIW a method to establish static adsl in wicd.

Generate the wicd interface data in the wicd PREFERENCES gui.

Copy /etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf while in root to a usb device folder, say xyz2.

Generate an executable script file in the usb device to perform the cp of that usb folder into /etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf(among other things being done).

In addition, in my system, include in another usb folder xyz script,         

mdadm --assemble/dev/md0 /dev/sd[abcd] && cd /mnt %% mkdir /mnt/md && mount -t ext3 /dev/md0 /mnt/md && pacman -Ud /mnt/md/cache2/vlc/* && cp /media/disk/xyz2  /etc/wicd/wired-settings.conf && cd && /etc/rc.d/wicd restart

This is called in root with :                                                     

exec /media/disk/xyz

This establishes wicd configuration and it takes about 12 seconds to connect.

This creates and mounts  four 8GB  devices Raid0 array using UDMA CF flash devices having a read speed of 176MB/S.  This array contains a pacman cachedir into which downloads are placed. With pacman -U these packages are installed as needed at maximum system install speed.  The raid0 array can be supplemented by an external USB flash device to create a pseudo raid1 storage.  This device can be upgraded at intervals to reflect the raid0 content at the upgrade point in time.  This raid array is available in normal HDD boots.

I recognize that I can use the raid array contents to perform the procedures, placing the files therein.  The usb device is a backup.

Very pleased that the mdadm system is provided and expect it will be a pseudo persistent arrangement in this ArchBang Live.

As to USB audio, it is still in limbo and suspect it is a hang-up in intel kernel data.  Usb audio occurs once in 15 boots.

With the use of the raid0 array and usb flash boot of ArchBang, my system is all flash...no HDD. (available via USB enclosure at any time).  Should I paint it green?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#178 2010-02-10 18:51:38

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Think a persistence drive [if you like] could be created either on a hard drive [local] or usbdrive.. all you need Archbang to do is find the image and load it...

something along these lines

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/Persistence

MrG

Mr Green

#179 2010-02-10 19:22:55

lilsirecho
Veteran

Mr Green:

Thanks for info.

Examining the details in your reference gives some insight into a method of persistent operation.

There is one sticking point in the arrangement.

The setup requires a boot prompt entry F6 and an option selection for persistence.

I haven't any idea how to circumvent this requirement other than using the raid0 to provide the re-entry of desired persistent datum after boot-up.

A second raid0 of 2 devices could possibly be applied for the purpose.  That could be USB devices.  But they cannot be root enabled until after boot up.

Perhaps there is a better way?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#180 2010-02-11 12:50:19

Fackamato

It doesn't boot for me in vmware (32-bit):

archbang-vm.jpg

#181 2010-02-11 13:07:50

sHyLoCk

Fackamato,

Version 1.04?

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#182 2010-02-11 13:10:22

Fackamato

sHyLoCk wrote:

Fackamato,

Version 1.04?

Hm wait a minute. My ISO is 13MB. Shame on me lol

edit: I'll put up torrents to offload the server (seems to go slooooow) when I'm done

Last edited by Fackamato (2010-02-11 13:13:35)

#183 2010-02-11 18:18:58

lilsirecho
Veteran

Shylock;

Re: Usb audio.

When i works the USB audio is identified by ...card0.

When it doesn't operate as usb audio  the USB audio is Id'ed as ...card1.

I do not know how to reverse the situation in a 'Live" install.

I suspect that HAL causes the problem and has been discussed on the internet but fixes apply to HDD boots.

The "mixer" appears as   PCM when the usb audio is present.
I can remove the USB audio device and install to a different usb port without losing audio.  Thus it "restarts".

If F6 is selected (when USB audio is not present and the INTEL mixer is displayed) the PCM mixer appears when "USB card1" is selected but no change occurs in usb audio performance...still no audio.

References on google to pertinent files do not apply to ArchBang file system.

I have tried alsaconf to no avail.

The fact that it sometimes boots in USB audio means that the boot performance is flaky suggesting HAL as the culprit.

#184 2010-02-11 19:27:55

lilsirecho
Veteran

Shylock;

Burned a CD of -104 x86_64 to test the possibility that the usb is too fast.  Boot was very slow with the CD.

Tried repeated boots from CD with no USB audio occurring.

Same problem.

#185 2010-02-11 20:40:43

akurei
Website

The 1.04 x86_64 image fails to load X properly on my Thinkpad T400 with intel graphics.

I tried vga=874 in kernel line, but that did not fix the issue.

I am only seeing "colored lines" instead of openbox. Might be a vesa issue? Any ideas?

PS: Image passed md5 check.

Last edited by akurei (2010-02-11 20:49:18)

#186 2010-02-11 20:54:49

willxtreme
Website

Most likely. We have two drivers included: vesa by default & Nvidia (the one for nvidia is for video cards greater than GF FX)

Last edited by willxtreme (2010-02-11 20:55:21)

#187 2010-02-11 21:29:34

Calimero
Website

Hi guys,
nice to see I'm not the only one to make a lightweight arch-based livecd !
I think I've got some advance on you : an installer not using internet, persistent home and an add-on system plus the most free 3D video drivers. smile
Feel free to have a look at my project (in french) http://calimeroteknik.free.fr/ctkarchlive

And my sources can be useful BTW http://calimeroteknik.free.fr/ctkarchli … rc.tar.bz2

cheers !
And don't try to be as near as possible from crunchbang... plus, I believe using proprietary software isn't a good idea !

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?

#188 2010-02-11 21:57:58

akurei
Website

willxtreme wrote:

Most likely. We have two drivers included: vesa by default & Nvidia (the one for nvidia is for video cards greater than GF FX)

Could you give me some suggestions what I could try to get X started properly?

#189 2010-02-11 22:37:34

lilsirecho
Veteran

Calimero;

Bon Jour

Perhaps you can learn english while I learn french?

Persistant in english is incorrect...persistent is correct english.

Can an Irish american download your 64 bit program or is it not "open"?

"Persistent" is applied poorly when it just means to be able to install a Live CD or flash drive contents.

The true meaning as applied to Live flash devices is a bit obscure as well.

If the "live" system is placed in ram, true persistent capability is provided via overlays.

Perhaps you can describe your persistent ideas as are provided within 64bit "live" operating system and the impact on a flash device boot.

I am 84 and have great interest in "Live" systems, especially those running in ram.

#190 2010-02-11 22:59:12

Calimero
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

Calimero;
Bon Jour

Bonsoir. smile

lilsirecho wrote:

Persistant in english is incorrect...persistent is correct english.

Calimero wrote:

... an installer not using internet, persistent home and an add-on system...

?
(On my french webpage, I speak french, where the word is "persistant".)

lilsirecho wrote:

Can an Irish american download your 64 bit program or is it not "open"?

Of course, like anybody else, as soon as the 0.5-x64 is ready ! ^^

lilsirecho wrote:

"Persistent" is applied poorly when it just means to be able to install a Live CD or flash drive contents.
The true meaning as applied to Live flash devices is a bit obscure as well.
If the "live" system is placed in ram, true persistent capability is provided via overlays.
Perhaps you can describe your persistent ideas as are provided within 64bit "live" operating system and the impact on a flash device boot.

In fact, my live system provides all that. Basically, you got the .iso that you can burn on a CD, or put on a flash key.
If it's on an usb key or any other RW storage device, you can create a partition in the free space and /home will be put on it, to keep its contents (documents, settings, and so on).
But this wasn't enough for me, and I added overlays (that I call 'add-ons') in this partition, for people to freely add things to the live.
Additionnally, my live system is able to copy itself to RAM, add-ons included, to enable you to remove the storage media that contains it and continue playing. smile

You can install the system running in RAM with add-ons on your hard drive, for instance ! Everything is allowed.

Each time that there is a choice to do, that's up to the user. It's Arch's KISS philosophy and I try to focus on this !

cheers

Last edited by Calimero (2010-02-11 23:38:37)

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?

#191 2010-02-12 00:42:10

lilsirecho
Veteran

calimero;

Merci Buku for the info and your remarks.

Very similar to Faunos altho not as large.

I downloaded the x64 .iso but it doesn't have a boot capability.

Will terminate this off topic and study the two systems separately.

Au revoir

#192 2010-02-12 01:59:58

willxtreme
Website

Calimero wrote:

Hi guys,
nice to see I'm not the only one to make a lightweight arch-based livecd !
I think I've got some advance on you : an installer not using internet, persistent home and an add-on system plus the most free 3D video drivers. smile
Feel free to have a look at my project (in french) http://calimeroteknik.free.fr/ctkarchlive

And my sources can be useful BTW http://calimeroteknik.free.fr/ctkarchli … rc.tar.bz2

cheers !
And don't try to be as near as possible from crunchbang... plus, I believe using proprietary software isn't a good idea !

WHOA MERCI CALIMERO C'EST TRÈS APPRÉCIÉ. J'arrive pas à croire que tu parles français également lol. C'est pas tous les jours que j'en rencontre un. Si j'ai des questions, je te les poserais big_smile On était justement entrain de bosser sur un installer pour notre live CD.

Last edited by willxtreme (2010-02-12 02:00:14)

#193 2010-02-12 02:06:41

willxtreme
Website

akurei wrote:
willxtreme wrote:

Could you give me some suggestions what I could try to get X started properly?

If you could Ctrl Alt F1-F6, login as root
and remove vesa & nvidia drivers
sudo pacman -R nvidia xf86-video-vesa

then install your appropriate intel video driver:
sudo pacman -S your_intel_driver
and run Xorg -configure > # cp /current_directory/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and then login as live hopefully you will see clearly now big_smile

#194 2010-02-12 02:18:46

sHyLoCk

lilsirecho wrote:

I do not know how to reverse the situation in a 'Live" install.

The only way I can think of right now is to force assign it as card0 in modprobe.conf

Calimero

Thanks for your offer. smile Will look into it.

~ Regards,
sHy

#195 2010-02-12 06:11:51

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Take a look at Calimreo's installer it maybe something that could be useful....:)

Mr Green

#196 2010-02-12 08:46:41

gradgrind

While you're on the subject of installers, I thought I'd mention that I'm having yet another go at the larch installer, and this time trying to do it in 'chunks' (no promises about how 'persistent' this design will be though!). Anyway at the moment, there's code to do just the installation bit - that is, format the (existing) partition(s), mount it/them,  copy the live system, remove stuff that was only intended or necessary for the live system, generate the new initramfs, and autogenerate an initial /etc/fstab. It gives optional progress feedback, and is designed to be incorporated into an 'installer application' either via an stdio interface, or via a python api. Maybe you don't want python, then you won't want this - it is mostly python, with a few calls to bash snippets. It is of course slightly larch orientated, but I thought I'd let you know in case you're interested, the differences are probably not that great.

You can get it from ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/larch/larch7/i686 - the latest larchin package.

#197 2010-02-12 12:39:08

willxtreme
Website

.:Mr Green:. wrote:

Take a look at Calimreo's installer it maybe something that could be useful....:)

We're on it big_smile

He didn't lied when he said

Calimero wrote:

I think I've got some advance on you

lol
(self note: calimero_all.gif Calimero was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid)
He hacked /arch/setup for his installer and that's what sHy was on lol

By the way we're both pretty busy with school but here's what's coming for the next releases

Version 1.05 will be an improved version of ArchBang (we'll tell you about the mods we've made in time of release)
Version 2.00 WILL BE installable big_smile

#198 2010-02-12 14:39:54

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

version 2 already what happened to 1.6?

Did have a look at installer this morning the unsquashfs thing still bothers me as it takes time to unpack, mounting on loop is near instant .......

Say no [or non] to graphic installers!

Mr Green

#199 2010-02-12 15:52:51

wantilles

Have you based it on Larch?

#200 2010-02-12 16:07:52

sHyLoCk

wantilles wrote:

Have you based it on Larch?

Nope ArchISO.

gradgrind

Thanks for the info! smile

I took a look at larchin, it's python+pyqt? We are basically focusing on Arch Installer, pure bash n ncurses based.

~ Regards,
sHy

Board footer