You are not logged in.

#26 2010-02-07 08:28:24

stryder

Re: GRUB install fails on MacBook during Arch installation

Rodney, AFAIK rEFIt is crucial. The wiki has a part about getting rEFIt to "update partition table" and if I understand the documentation rightly, it creates a GPT/MBR hybrid. This will allow grub to recognize your partition. Also depending on how you installed rEFIt, you might need to enable it, using enable.sh. I have no experience in rEFIt because my installation is a "hackintosh" but I had the same problem with grub when installing an arch dual boot. My solution was to install grub2 which recognizes GPT but I had to find a way to boot the arch install first because the chroot way didn't work for me.

In case your setup is actually OK and you need to find a way to boot your installation, try running your arch livecd and either try to use the option to boot an installation, or go into grub shell and use grub commands.

Finally, in the case of you getting arch booting but it panicked, boot using kernel26-fallback.img. Works every time for me. Then re-run mkinitcpio -p kernel26.

HTH.

** just a thought: are you dual booting or single booting arch? I can't figure this out from what you have said. **

Last edited by stryder (2010-02-07 08:30:55)

#27 2010-02-07 08:45:44

z0rg

I had the same problem with my macbook install, I tried several times the whole install setup and always had the same result.
What I forgot to do as Lexion suggested and as described in the guide http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBook,
was the after your linux partion creation with parted, you must reboot and go to the Refit shell menu to synchronize the efi/gpt partitions
and only then, install arch and grub on the linux partion.

life is short

#28 2010-02-08 03:50:47

DeeCodeUh

Edit: nevermind

Last edited by DeeCodeUh (2010-02-08 03:51:51)

Board footer