You are not logged in.

#26 2010-02-11 21:49:11

Acecero

Re: what sound system are you using: ALSA, OSS, or ...?

lordmetroid wrote:

I use alsa, for some reason OSS had crackling sound and was awfully low volume.

Yeah, I couldn't understand why everytime I reboot or restart the oss daemon, I would get this crackling pop sound with my speakers as well. I also kept getting these weird boot errors with oss, so I went back to alsa and it does everything I need to use it for.

#27 2010-02-11 23:11:28

n0dix

i using ALSA, with no major problem

#28 2010-02-12 02:03:29

kalpik
Website

rent0n wrote:

Awarded as the most useful post of the year (for me, at least)! big_smile

Btw, ALSA.

You're welcome big_smile

#29 2010-02-12 11:05:21

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

skottish wrote:

ALSA --> OSSv4 --> ALSA

OSS sounded somewhat better when it wasn't generating little popping noises. Every time it upgraded, the popping got worse. This wasn't from the output overdriving either; I could drop the levels way low and still with the pops.

I also couldn't get half of the hardware that I wanted to work with OSS to work, as well the mixer was a tragedy. I've heard that naming the channels after colors was what the hardware vendor did. If that's the case, ALSA does a good job of making sense of it all.

In the end I went back to ALSA. Surprisingly during the time I spent with OSS, ALSA's sound quality improved dramatically.

+1 one on that.

When I bought the notebook I'm using now, alsa worked terribly, I made the jump to OSS and I've been a happy user. Sound quality was great, no defects whatsoever and the cpu usage was low. But over time I got tired of not being able to attach a vmix to my usb headset, so only one app could play/record at any given time and some programs would not work too well because of this.

Recently I have given alsa + pulse another go and I'm very surprised, it works very well (although pulse uses more cpu than OSS did) and sound quality is the same (at least as far as my untrained ears can tell).

Oh and being able to switch the sound input/output between sources/sinks on the fly is quite cool smile

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#30 2010-02-12 11:23:35

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

alsa smile

#31 2010-02-12 17:30:15

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

right now I'm using ALSA (it was there already, and it worked fine) - but I think I'm going to try (and hopefully switch) to OSS, because it sounds like I'll get much better sound quality (and hopefully more than my left and right speakers will work out of my 5.1 setup)

#32 2010-02-12 17:48:53

antonikus

Ive been using ALSA ever since OSS got depreceated but am now having second thoughts.

ALSA (or linux sound) I should set it up once at install then forget about it. But the last days its been bugging me alot, once I enabled the integrated chip so that I could use it as mic in and not my main soundcard, alsa decided the integrated one should be card 0 ... so sound doesnt work in opera&firefox or other applications since it outputs thru the wrong one. So I tryed removing it when not in use, and the horror when I saw output of lsmod|grep snd ... the horror! And I couldnt even remove the specific sound drivers. WTF. Messed up.
Anyway I solved it by adding the order of modules in /etc/rc.conf (required a reboot, fck up windows style).

The other day I got a new radeon gfx card, apparantly it has HDMI and sound ouptut, what is this!? I bought a gfx card and they gave me 7.1 sound ouput? And again alsa decided this new should be card 0 and my main sound live card 1...

Now Im looking to OSSv4.

Linux user since redhat 6.1. former gentooer, former slacker. Now arher.

#33 2010-02-12 18:11:18

brebs

antonikus wrote:

since it outputs thru the wrong one

Then tell it which is the right one. This sort of thing is not a mystery, to people who can type google.com into their web browser mad

I mean, it must be the truth that OSS magically sounds better, and ALSA has not had a version release since before OSS v4.2, right? People do some research before posting their unknowing opinions as fact, right? roll

#34 2010-02-12 19:17:15

ozar

Still using ALSA...

oz

#35 2010-02-12 19:25:57

kosmiciatakuja

Alsa under KDE phonon, at least I think so smile

#36 2010-02-12 19:55:59

buttons

ALSA. I try OSS periodically to make sure none of my USB sound devices are supported, which is always the case.

Cthulhu For President!

#37 2010-02-12 20:13:14

raf_kig

buttons wrote:

ALSA. I try OSS periodically to make sure none of my USB sound devices are supported, which is always the case.

:-D

alsa since ~2003
the beauty of dmix overwhelmed me - i could just get rid of arts/esound/... :-)

Board footer