You are not logged in.

#76 2005-01-19 17:20:16

allanon

Re: KDE 3.4 pre packages in TUR tpowa available

I just went back to 3.3.91-1 from 3.3.91-2, as a few things were broken in 3.3.91-2:
- Kwallet did not display my wallet, did not let me import it, nor let me make a new one.
- Cookies in konqueror were broken. Did not use my existing ones (had to downgrade kdebase before I could post this, as I have forgotten my l/p to the forum smile, nor saved new ones. Also, the cookie module in the konqueror setup gave an error when trying to configure it.
- Not critical, but the little picture of the wombat (or Konqi) is not there when selecting "Logout" in the K menu anymore. Just a "broken link" kind of symbol.

Apart from that, it seems to work fine smile   Anyone found out what permissions to change for the new logitech-specific stuff (e,g. DPI setting) in kcontrol to work? Works when running as root, but not as normal user. chmod stuff in /dev/input was not enough.

#77 2005-01-19 18:10:20

tpowa
Developer

@allanon
the graphic is also in kdebase-config does it not install it?
really strange i had no problems you describe on 3 pc's.
@cascat
sorry for me thehdd led is quite normal for me, don't know what's the problem, could you try to launch also hal?
daemons list like that:
... hotplug dbus hal ...
thanks for trying

#78 2005-01-19 18:50:52

tpowa
Developer

@ allanon
the missing kdm and picture results from an upgrade error.
i reproduced this now on my machine. please deinstall old kdebase -1
then install kdebase-config and after that kdebase -2 then everything should be there, we just found an other pacman bug sad

btw kwalletmanager starts up for me and i can enter a new wallet.

TO ALL:
If you plan to update to kdebase-2 please remove kdebase-1 package first, until we found a way to fix this pacman bug.

#79 2005-01-19 19:01:58

allanon

Strange. Removed kdebase-1, reinstalled kdebase-config then kdebase-2, and now all three issues are gone smile  Hooray smile

#80 2005-01-19 19:32:51

cascat

tpowa,

Adding hal to the daemon array was the first thing I tried.  In fact, I learned hal has to follow dbus in the list.  Everything worked properly with the beta except for the hard drive issue.  I thought it was strange that kwallet would ask for a password when I started kontact to get mail.  I wonder if the kdebase and kdebase-config issue had anything to do with my problem.

#81 2005-01-19 20:59:00

colnago

markas, try adding alsa-oss for your artsd crash.

#82 2005-01-20 17:06:53

colnago

Sorry, I cleared my logs from when I had the alsa crashes, I cannot compare to them.

#83 2005-01-20 17:44:53

hugelmopf

Thanks for the packages... my friends are amazed when I tell them, that in Arch I can already try KDE 3.4 without compiling it myself :-)

One significant change I noticed so far is KPDF.... it is really beautiful now, no comparison to before. Finally a replacement for acroread.

EDIT: I just found that I cannot change my time anymore. Right clicking on the clock and choosing "Configure Date and Time" doesn't work and kde-clock.desktop is missing on my system. Am I the only one?

#84 2005-01-20 18:43:05

cascat

More info:

After further troubleshooting, I have discovered the problem of the constant hard drive activity is related to dbus.  If i stop dbus after logging into 3.4beta, the abnormal disk activity stops.  Of course, the kde daemon is now inoperable as it depends upon dbus.  BTW, I have the latest upgrades of dbus and hal installed.

#85 2005-01-20 19:23:14

hugelmopf

cascat: I had the same HD activity, but deactivating "KDED Media Manager" in "Control Centre - Service Manager" helped that. I have no idea, whether this is a good and/or final solution.

PS... i have neither "dbus" nor "hal" running.

#86 2005-01-20 20:19:13

reefer

Just wanted to report a success story  big_smile <br>
I don't have access to the net regularly right now (missing my pacman -Syu...), so I downloaded the 3.4 packages and first did a pacman -R kde.
gwenview and one other program came up. I removed them, and then did an pacman -R kde. Everything OK, then I installed the new KDE packages, and moved my old .kde dir. <br>
I can only say that I really like this!
Quanta is faster, konqueror is faster, and I think the whole DE seems more responsive than in 3.3.x, and that really matters on my PII 433Mhz laptop.

Good work tpowa! (and thanks to all KDE developers)

.andreas.

#87 2005-01-20 20:54:55

cascat

hugelmopf,

Thanks for the tip, I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem.  I tried your solution but it did not help.  After further experimentation, I am loading dbus and hal in rc.conf and then logging into 3.4beta.  The hard drive is then being constantly accessed.  I manually stop hal and the drive acts normal and the kde daemon stays operational.  There seems to be a problem with hal itself or its relationship with dbus, and kded may be in the mix as well.  You might want to check and see if kded is running on your system.  It requires dbus.  You may not be far from the problem because if you open konqueror and check the device section it reports "protocol not supported."  This could be related to the problem.

#88 2005-01-20 21:41:57

hugelmopf

No, there is no kded running on my system anymore (yes there is... look at edit). Neither are dbus and hal (never even heard of them before this thread ;-) )

Correct, since I disabled the KDE Media Manager, I can't access the "Devices" section in Konqueror anymore. But that doesn't bother me too much.

Feel free to ask, if I can help you with any further information.

PS: Off-(your-)topic... can you access your KDE clock and change the time/date etc.?

EDIT: Sorry, there indeed seems to be kded running on my system:
# ps ax
3520 ?        S      0:00 kded [kdeinit] kded

#89 2005-01-20 22:18:42

cascat

hugelmopf,

Your tip DID solve the hard drive problem.  I removed hal from rc.conf and left dbus in the daemon array.  Unchecked the media manager and rebooted just to clear everything.  No hard drive problems but I wonder what we disabled.  Everything so far is working well.

I am able to set the date and time on my system by right clicking the clock on the panel.

Thanks for your help. I hope tpowa is following this thread and is able to correct this problem in future releases or passes the bug upstream.

#90 2005-01-21 06:58:07

tpowa
Developer

hi
i surely follow this thread wink
i have no problems with hal and dbus.
Can you check your fstab? and /media?
stop hal then enter fstab:
make a backup of your fstab before!
remove the entries with 'managed'.
then you can also disable your cd/dvd drives
then go to /media
remove the dirs in it
start again hal and look if you have constant activity again.
then you can enable display devices in kcontrol and you get dynamic icons on desktop when inserting cds or plugging in usb stuff
thanks for testing
greetings smile

#91 2005-01-21 13:32:54

cascat

tpowa,

Per your request,

I removed the lines with "managed" in fstab.
I removed /media.
Enabled media center service in kded
Added hal to daemon list.
Rebooted so the system will read the new fstab.

And the hard drive access problem was still there.

During the reboot, the "managed" lines were re-written and /media was added again to the tree.  Fstab is written by fstab-sync which must have been added to my system during an upgrade and does things automatically.

I removed hal and turned off the media center service, the hard drive returned to normal.

#92 2005-01-21 14:07:10

cascat

More info:

I have the media center services disabled in 3.4b.
I put hal in rc.conf and reboot.. The hard drive constant access starts at the kdm screen.

I remove hal from rc.conf(dbus is still there).  Reboot and the problem is gone.  I login into 3.4b, still no problems.  Turn on media center service and the problem returns.

I think the problem is hal.

#93 2005-01-22 09:34:56

tpowa
Developer

hi
now i see the led of hdd also blinking regulary
my explanation for this is:
hal is pollng the cd-drives, if you insert cd's into your drive and mount it the led should be less active.
i thznk it doesn't access the hdd only cd driver are checked if a medium was inserted.
hope you can test if this reduces the led.
greetings

#94 2005-01-22 12:14:36

hugelmopf

I am able to set the date and time on my system by right clicking the clock on the panel.

Then it's my system that is weird. From whereever I try to set my clock (Control Centre or right bottom corner) I get the error

Befehl kcmshell kde-clock.desktop nicht gefunden
Translation: "Command kcmshell kde-clock.desktop not found"

And some other "links" don't work either, because of missing .desktop files I suppose. I will try some more later.

#95 2005-01-22 12:17:25

tpowa
Developer

that's probably an upgrade issue
try removing kde and reinstall it then all is fine
pacman has a bug that is not fixed yet

#96 2005-01-22 13:07:52

hugelmopf

You were right... removing and adding kdelibs solved my problem. I didn't know, that Pacman still has this bug. Thanks for your help.

#97 2005-01-22 16:38:57

cascat

tpowa:

As you suggested I inserted a data cd and mounted the cdwriter.  Voila, the the hard drive light activity returned to normal with just an occasional blink.  Previously, the hd LED would stay on 98% of the time.  I concur that  the system is polling as gkrellm indicated there was not any read or write process while the LED was on.

#98 2005-01-22 19:36:48

allanon

One of the new things in 3.4 is the Logitech-specific parts in Kcontrol, as battery status of cordless keyboard/mouse. I have a MX510, where you have the option to change between 400 and 800 dpi (Great in Enemy Territory), but in Kcontrol the options are unavailable, saying I don't have the right permissions. I tried a chmod a+rwx /dev/input, but that did not help. I CAN change it if I run the control center as root, but not really an ideal solution. Any suggestions on what to change?

#99 2005-01-24 17:04:47

tpowa
Developer

@cascat:
it could be that your cd drive is connected to same bus as hd.
then the activity should get more than on the other bus.
just a guess smile

next beta2 will include a fix that you don't need dbus or hal running if you don't like it.

#100 2005-01-25 03:10:28

cascat

tpowa:

I have two hard drives on one ide channel and my cdwriter is on channel 2. I am using kde 3.4b with the media center service turned off and everything works well.  I will wait for beta 2 and futher development of hal and dbus and see what happens in the future.  Usually these problems work themselves out one way or another.  Thanks for your work supporting kde on arch.

Board footer