You are not logged in.

#51 2005-03-04 06:42:47

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [kernel] gensplash framebuffer boot splash screens for 2.6.x

Some gettheme command doesnt exist and something else

gettheme is defined in functions... are you sure you none of the gensplash-initscripts files have been installed as .pacnew?  that's all i can think of now

all the new files are now up.

as i said please try them all out again - i think rc.d/gensplash may have taken a step back but i am going to email the dev about that - i don't think it is my script as it works fine AFTER the boot has finished.

And let me know about the font thing - i tried to fix it again!

#52 2005-03-04 07:14:25

lucke

Problem with font still persists :-/

#53 2005-03-12 12:49:20

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

i'll update to the new initscripts ASAP - bear in mind that initscripts-custom already has similar support.

initscripts-custom is obviously now going to be removed and initscripts-gensplash will be updated from now on

#54 2005-03-13 12:28:08

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

that was easier than expected!  new initscripts-gensplash are in my repo.

it's worth noting that these scripts don't actually touch any of the daemon scripts so they work fine with phrakture's wireless-initscripts.

initscripts-custom - which combined fastboot and gensplash has been removed as fastboot is now in the vanilla initscripts

#55 2005-03-13 14:15:37

rensel
Website

As I'm going to compile the new kernel with the gensplash patch instead of the bootsplash one, can you please update the gensplashutils package to the latest available version (1.1.9.1)?  smile

Arch GNU/Linux 0.7 Trusted User
"If I were more modest, I would be perfect"

#56 2005-03-14 08:59:49

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ok - i'll check it out - to be honest i am not even watching for it as it is updated so irregularly!

whoops!  my bad in a BIG way!  seems spock is constantly updating splashutils - i'll keep a closer eye - thanks to rensel

#57 2005-03-14 09:30:57

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

my build failed - i'll keep trying smile

#58 2005-03-15 01:01:48

jw

hi dibble

I spent some time getting fbsplash to work with 2.6.11-cko2, but I am not having much luck so far. I have to admit beforehand that I am a noob when it comes to kernel compiles though.

First I built 2.6.11-cko2 (with your PKGBUILD, which is GREAT, btw). I followed the instructions at:
http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/WI … ot%20HowTo

Relevant bits from the config:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_MODE_HELPERS=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
# CONFIG_FB_VESA_STD is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA_TNG=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA_DEFAULT_MODE="640x480@60"
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FONTS=y
# CONFIG_FONT_8x8 is not set
CONFIG_FONT_8x16=y
# CONFIG_LOGO is not set
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE=m
CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_DEVICE=y
CONFIG_LCD_CLASS_DEVICE=m
CONFIG_LCD_DEVICE=y
CONFIG_FB_SPLASH=y

I then built gensplashutils 1.1.9.1 by hacking your PKGBUILD (note: i changed some version information and some instances of "splash" to "gensplash"):

#Packager: dibblethewrecker dibblethewrecker.at.jiwe.dot.org
#Contributors: Steve "TheBashar" - original PKGBUILD and UBIK - scripts
pkgname=gensplashutils
pkgver=1.1.9.1
pkgrel=0
pkgdesc="It's general aim is creating a set of tools which could 'enrich' the Gentoo boot process (displaying messages, animations, progress bars, etc).  This package also contains Arch rc scripts, ArchMetal and ArchPool themes."
url="http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/"
license=""
depends=('libjpeg' 'libpng' 'perl')
backup=('/etc/conf.d/splash')
provides=('splashutils')
conflicts=('splashutils')
install=splashutils.install
source=(http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/gensplash/current/splashutils-$pkgver.tar.bz2 http://dtw.jiwe.org/share/gensplash/gensplash-files.tar.bz2)

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/splashutils-$pkgver
  ln -sf /bin/install /usr/bin/install
  ln -sf /usr/src/linux-`uname -r` linux
  mkdir kernel
  #echo -n 'Please enter full path to patched kernel sources: ' ; read source
  #ln -s $source linux
  make || return 1
  make prefix=$startdir/pkg/ install
  rm /usr/bin/install

#install TTY scripts by UBIK and default theme
  cd $startdir/src/
  mkdir $startdir/pkg/etc/
  mkdir $startdir/pkg/etc/{rc.d,conf.d,splash}
  install -D -m755 gensplash-files/gensplash $startdir/pkg/etc/rc.d/gensplash
  install -D -m644 gensplash-files/gensplash.conf $startdir/pkg/etc/conf.d/gensplash
  cp -pr gensplash-files/ArchPool $startdir/pkg/etc/splash/
  cp -pr gensplash-files/ArchMetal $startdir/pkg/etc/splash/
  install -D -m644 gensplash-files/lilo.sample $startdir/pkg/etc/splash/lilo.sample
  install -D -m644 gensplash-files/grub.sample $startdir/pkg/etc/splash/grub.sample
}

I then installed initscripts-gensplash 0.9.2-1 from your repo, built the initrd's using splash_geninitramfs and changed my menu.lst to include:

# (2) Arch Linux CKO
title  Arch Linux (2.6.11 kernel + CKO patchset) [vmlinuz2611-cko2-jw]
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz2611-cko2-jw ro root=/dev/discs/disc0/part3 devfs=nomount elevator=cfq-ts video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-32@85 splash=verbose,theme:ArchPool
initrd (hd0,0)/fbsplash-ArchPool-1024x768

Please tell me if I missed something. Anyway, I am now experiencing the following problems:

1. i cannot get verbose or silent backgrounds during boot
2. /dev/fbsplash exists, but /proc/fbsplash does not
3. when i start /etc/rc.d/gensplash after boot, i get backgrounds , but the font colors are pretty much unreadable. gensplash is in my rc.conf daemon list, btw.

Any ideas? TIA!

#59 2005-03-15 05:00:30

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

FIRST - let me say - well done you fixed the build problem I was having - why the fuck do you suddenly need to mkdir kernel?   How retarded is that!  roll

So, new version of gensplashutils will be in my repo later.

To answer you questions:

If fonts are unreadable you will need to change the font colour you use in .bash_rc / bashprofile - it's not gensplash's fault - it's a simple white text on white background issue.  If this is too much fuss just don't use that theme, i avoid some for such reasons.  ArchPool for example... big_smile

You have obviously configured you kernel and set up gensplash fine as it does work to set vc backgrounds.

The problem with the boot i suspect is related to vesafb-tng - i have never managed to get it to work on boot - your video line maybe incorrect.  Try searching and posting on the gentoo forums about it smile

Just for clarification and for other users, I think I said in the wiki that I don't recommend vesafb-tng as it is a) slower and b) harder to set up.  Please let us know if you get it to work ok smile and thanks for fixing the build

#60 2005-03-15 11:40:20

jw

ok, messed around a bit more. found out the following:

while /proc/fbsplash does not exist, i have a /proc/sys/kernel/fbsplash. is this the same?

> cat /proc/sys/kernel/fbsplash
/sbin/splash_helper

i tried changing /proc/fbsplash -> /proc/sys/kernel/fbsplash in /etc/rc.d/gensplash and /etc/rc.d/functions, but this does not help.

i went to spock's site and noticed a sizeable changelog:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/g … ngelog.php

there's some stuff about the new default vc for silent being tty8. and a "splash daemon mode" so maybe something changed, i dunno..

btw, recompiling kernel with CONFIG_FB_VESA_STD actually worsens the situation. i got an error when trying to run /etc/rc.d/gensplash

EDIT: Had a look at:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/g … .5.tar.bz2
i think the init scripts should be changed. it's beyond _my_ skills though :-(

#61 2005-03-16 11:30:36

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

um - well those initscripts are now more tied to gentoo than ever before.  i looked at them today and i have made changes but not big ones.  if you don't know how they work how can you suggest they be changed?  They seem to work ok for everyone else.  The way that gentoo uses gensplash at startup is, in my very unskilled opinion , virtually impossible to use in Arch.  As spock tailors the scripts more to gentoo the more difficult it becomes to replicate for us.

i cannot get a 2.6.11 kernel with the relevant patches to run on my system.  However, when i have tried to run it i also get no fbsplash - which is very unexpected as my fbsplash set up is tried and tested.  Howver, i get no errors so i really can't tell you what the problem is.

Needlees to say i am working on it and when i know what is wrong you will know - but for the time being consider 2.6.11 and fbsplash a no go.

what was the error you got by the way?

#62 2005-03-18 13:26:34

lucke

dibblethewrecker wrote:

but for the time being consider 2.6.11 and fbsplash a no go.

Well, I'm quite lost in this topic already, but nevertheless I had fbsplash working without a problem with 2.6.11-morph1, ca. two weeks ago, when I last saw my box :-) AFAIK, it still uses the fbsplash just before its major structure change.

Just my two cents.

#63 2005-03-18 15:37:54

Mith

@lucke
I think it's not the 2.6.11 that is the problem but the 2.6.11.x

ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

#64 2005-03-19 10:18:52

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

whoa! let's not get our lions crossed!

The custom PKGBUILD has probs with 2.6.x.y - fbsplash is GENERALLY dodgy with 2.6.11 because all the major patchsets use a new version of fbsplash patch - but apparently -morph1 doesn't - which is good to know!

but it's two separate issues big_smile

#65 2005-03-19 11:50:11

iphitus
Forum Fellow

most patchsets apply to the base 2.6.x, or at least, ck, cko, nitro and ac do.

#66 2005-03-20 11:04:31

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

iph - yup, that's true, but the PKGBUILD is supposed to be for multiple custom builds of the same kernel - whether with a major patch set or not smile

#67 2005-03-20 17:28:54

Mith

iphitus wrote:

most patchsets apply to the base 2.6.x, or at least, ck, cko, nitro and ac do.

hmmm is that the reason why my attempts to compile the 2.6.11.4 with nitro are fruitless?? guess so..  :evil:

ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

#68 2005-03-22 07:43:27

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Ok, listen up troops.  To my own surprise I have had some success with gensplash and 2.6.11, so here is the deal.  This has taken a while as I was having trouble getting a 2.6.11 kernel running.  Sorry about that.  This is not yet a complete solution.  Consider this port in a transitional phase between the old gensplash and the new.  And, yes, this is a bit complicated but at least you don't have to fix the initscripts again do you?

READ ALL OF THIS CAREFULLY – you may NOT want to upgrade gensplashutils!:
· gensplashutils has been updated in my repo – it had to be built against 2.6.11-cko2 kernel source with the latest patch version to work with the "new" kernels
· I'll clarify the "old" and the "new":

gensplash
OLD: Any version of gensplashutils <=  1.1.9.1-1 from my repo (or basically built against the pre 1.0 fbsplash kernel patch)
NEW: gensplashutils => 1.1.9.1-2 (just uploaded) from my repo
kernel
OLD: all major 2.6.10 and previous kernel patchsets used the old fbsplash patch, so did -morph1 for 2.6.11
NEW: all major stable (not rc version) 2.6.11 kernel patchsets use the new fbsplash patch, so does -morph2

· What works, what doesn't?

Kernel    Gensplashutils    Silent        Verbose    Notes
OLD        OLD                    OK            OK        No change obviously
OLD        NEW                    Broken        OK
NEW        OLD                    Broken        Broken
NEW        NEW                    Broken        OK

This also depends on which version of gensplashutils you built your initrds with; these are what you get from splash_genititramfs and are usually found in boot called fbsplash-themename-resolution.
· initrds built with old gensplashutils will not work with new kernel
· initrds built with new gensplashutils will not work with old kernel

· What should I do?
If you can't live without silent don't upgrade gensplash.  If you do upgrade verbose works fine for old and new kernels BUT if you have several kernels, old and new, that use the same theme, you can't use one initrd for both.  Keep your old one and build a new one with the new gensplashutils but name it something different  in boot:
e.g. From my system ( i have /boot on a separate partition – don't blindly copy, use your brain! - it's just the initrd name you are looking at)

/boot/fbsplash-basqsplash-1024x768
/boot/gensplash-basqsplash-1024x768

grub.conf

title=Arch-2610-cko3
root   (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/vmlinuz2610-cko3 root=/dev/hda10 splash=verbose,theme:basqsplash vga=791 ro CONSOLE=/dev/vc/1
initrd (hd0,5)/fbsplash-basqsplash-1024x768

title=Arch-2611-cko2
root   (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/vmlinuz2611-cko2 root=/dev/hda10 splash=verbose,theme:basqsplash vga=791 ro CONSOLE=/dev/vc/1
initrd (hd0,5)/gensplash-basqsplash-1024x768

See? Same theme settings, different initrd

· You ALL need to add CONSOLE=/dev/vc/1 to the kernel line of your bootloader as shown above – to ensure future compatibility
· What about the initscripts?
The initscripts only affect silent mode anyway - so they are currently working fine for the old kernel but not for the new kernels – they do have some new features tho in anticipation of support for the new kernels.  The initscripts need serious work to be fully compatible with the latest kernels.
· If you get errors about

Couldn't find font

I know – i have no idea – I am working on it.

Finally, I am defeated by the new gentoo initscripts - I am going to ask spock directly for assistance - it could take me half my life to fix it alone.

#69 2005-03-23 10:23:33

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

i posted my latest attempts to create new arch splashutils on my server.

they are here: http://dtw.jiwe.org/share/gensplash/spl … ch.tar.bz2

They kind of work.

So far I can get silent splash to come up and paint some text but no progress bar.

I had to use

console=tty1 and quiet in my kernel line to get that far

any help on scripts welcome - have posted at gentoo about it but am being ignored

#70 2005-03-25 13:43:05

jw

Wow what a post! Thank you for your help. I now have verbose splash at boot time. I rebuilt the initrd's with your gensplashutils 1.1.9.1-2 and added "console=/dev/vc/1" in menu.lst, and that did the trick. I'm running 2.6.11-cko2 with the tng-framebuffer btw.

I do still have one weird problem though: Eventhough i have gensplash in my daemons array, no backgrounds are enabled for virtual consoles. However, when I do a manual "/etc/rc.d/gensplash start" after boot, the backgrounds are set just fine. I tried moving gensplash around in the startup order of the daemons but this has no effect. Strange no?

#71 2005-03-26 07:00:30

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

jw - strange? yes and no.

yes because it's really annoying and a bit inexplicable, i think it has to with inittab or something - i dunno what but it works fine for me if i also set a consolefont in rc.conf?!

no because it's the one bug that has constantly plagued me throughout the whole process!

glad my long post sorted you out tho - at least it was worth the effort!

silent is in the pipeline but don't hold your breath!

#72 2005-03-27 19:58:52

jw

Setting the font in "rc.conf" worked like a charm. Thanks for your work and help!

#73 2005-03-28 05:15:06

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

do you think you can help work out why it won;t work without it?  And what do you use as a "normal" font for the custom font?  I would do this myself but I prefer the regular font!

#74 2005-03-28 20:57:49

jw

i use "ter-114f.psf.gz" from the "xserver-terminus-fonts" packages. i actually think it looks a bit better than the default font.

i played around some more, but did not succeed in getting gensplash to start properly without setting CONSOLEFONT. you can call setfont without a font argument to just set the default font, but this does not help. sorry :-(.

strangely, the messages.log only mentions console 0 and 6 (this is when no font is set):

messages.log:Mar 28 21:35:10 athlonxp Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/discs/disc0/part3 devfs=nomount elevator=cfq-ts video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-16@75 splash=verbose,theme:Pantheon  CONSOLE=/dev/vc/1
messages.log:Mar 28 21:35:10 athlonxp fbsplash: console 0 using theme 'Pantheon'
messages.log:Mar 28 21:35:19 athlonxp fbsplash: console 6 using theme 'Pantheon'

so, no luck with the font thing, but i did find a bug in your "/etc/rc.d/gensplash" though. the "kill" function does nothing because SPLASH_TTYS is empty. this is easily fixed by moving the bit that initialises SPLASH_TTYS from the "start)" case to the top of the script.

#75 2005-03-29 07:42:51

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

jw - your bug doesn't sound right...whoops, checked and fixed!

new email from spock at gentoo - the dev himself - he told about the new release (which i was just checking for before i update and out of date version with the fixed script) fingers crossed his new docs should give some more silent hints - busy with work at the mo tho!

OK - new gensplashutils in my repo

btw I still have the OLD gensplashutils pkg if anyone needs it!

Board footer