You are not logged in.

#76 2005-03-30 06:01:58

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [kernel] gensplash framebuffer boot splash screens for 2.6.x

jw tried your font - looks good!

New, new version! · Removed ArchPool theme to give smaller download
· Fixed font not found problem (fixed ages ago but was testing)
· Fixed script error reported by jw
· Update bootloader samples
· extra themes can now be found here
As I said - maybe some improvements in silent coming soon, spock has actually posted about how these things actually work now - fingers crossed!

#77 2005-03-31 05:47:41

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

whoops - will fix it later...silent working again, mostly...more later wink

#78 2005-03-31 06:32:54

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

should be fixed - new initscript with silent support going up

i now think the old ones would have worked just as well - they just needed a 0 changing to a 7 sad  We don;t need to implement the splash daemon mode at all tho i will look into it.

Consider this a testing release - i get some funny effects with the silent mode - but it is an improvement and no it ain't going to break anything!

#79 2005-04-01 08:46:01

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

no update yet but if you add the following to your rc.multi with the latest version it should actually switch to the log in screen for you (patch syntax):

fi
+ sleep 1 && /usr/bin/chvt 1
   # End of file

Have the daemon partially working already - i impress even myself - expect brand new all singing all dancing by Sunday night wink

#80 2005-04-03 11:13:11

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

fixes to latest initscripts-gensplash

due to a f up on my part the new pkg has the same pkgrel as the previous rel so if you want to update you'll have to remove initscripts-gensplash from /var/cache/pacman/pkg and resync it from my repo - it will to tell you it is up to date (i think) but it isn't - so install it.

It adds fixes to switch to vc1 when boot has finished (you get stuck on vc8 otherwise) and we now switch to vc1 when we shutdown to make sure we catch the shutdown messages

introducing gensplash"-tng" for testing

i got the daemon working big_smile  I'm quite pleased to say that i have managed an almost straight functionality transition too - all the old suggestions have already been worked in already.

the packages are not in the repo - it's all here on my server:

· PKGBUILD for gensplashutils-tng
· splashutils-arch.tar.bz2 (the equivalent of splashutils-gentoo and the new version of gensplash-files)
· initscripts-gensplash-tng.diff - so you can see the changes
· gensplashutils-tng and initscripts-gensplash-tng pkgs

I have tested all this throughly and it seems to work well.

currently the versions in the repo use the new software but the old system but we will be forced to move to the new system eventually.  therefore, after some more testing and hopefully feedback these "tng" pkgs will be moved to the repo.

I personally don't like the way it works now - it is not even remotely smooth and i prefered the old way, it also buggers up all your console messages by forcing you to use tty1 but we are but slaves to the whims of developers!

#81 2005-04-03 16:54:49

lucke

After some playing with those tng scripts I came to the bitter conclusion, that it doesn't work properly with vesafb-tng :-) At least I guess that's the culprit.

#82 2005-04-04 06:04:18

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

oh no!  yet another things for me to sort out!  i need a kernel recompile for that :cry:

new versions of tng stuff now going up and a proper new version of the gensplashutils is in the repo

#83 2005-04-05 18:13:14

miracle

HI,dibblethewrecker, I want to ask how to fill the splash image with all
console? sad

#84 2005-04-06 02:55:04

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

um, use the rc.d/gensplash script?

run /etc/rc.d/gensplash start

?

#85 2005-04-06 11:29:58

miracle

Hi,dibblethewrecker,thanks for your reply.
yes.I use gensplash script.
run /etc/rc.d/gensplash start ,works,splash image fill all console.
And I want to start that at boot time .so I add "splash"
to rc.conf in DAEMONS line.reboot, but It not work,
I still need to  run /etc/rc.d/gensplash start by hand.

#86 2005-04-06 11:33:21

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ah - the install script (i think) tells you you need to add "gensplash" to rc.conf in DAEMONS line - it is the name of the script in rc.d you see?  all the daemons are stored in rc.d smile

#87 2005-04-07 05:35:09

darkcoder

dibblethewrecker, thanks for the package and the time you had spend on this project.  The splash is the only thing I really missed from Gentoo.

I found some issues that maybe you already know.  The issues I'm reporting now are from the packages on your arch repo(vesafb). The  kernel used was a vanilla 2.6.11 + morph5 patch set which includes gensplash.

1)  only got the progress bar working without the status messages over it when using the kernel arguments quiet console=tty1 or quiet console=/dev/vc/1  The second, IMHO having less issues between the startup phase, and KDM/GDM login.

2) the gensplash init script on /etc/rc.d/ checks for a CONSOLE kernel argument, and fail if the argument is not found.  That uppercase CONSOLE argument never worked for me, and when looking to Spock documentation on its site, it mentioned the lowercase console kernel argument, and that's what worked for me.  To made the script work I need to replace all CONSOLE= for console= on the script.

3) maybe due to the arch initialization process, but I add gensplash to the rc.conf just prior to kdm, and while it executes, the vc(2/5) do not get the splash image.  But login on a vc, and re-run the gensplash script, then the splash loaded without problem?  May I need to add it after KDM, or to specify it on other place?

4) this one probably already discussed, but due to my laziness haven't read all posts, but F2 (change to verbose output) appears to do nothing.

Again, thanks for your work.

#88 2005-04-07 08:49:05

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

1) i too can only get it to work using quiet and a lower case console command

2) I fixed that already - the fix is in the latest pkgs - but thanks for mentioning it - i put it before i really understood what was going on - now it's out again

3) try setting a custom CONSOLEFONT in rc.conf - that seems to work for nearly everyone - i have no idea why!  report back after

4) yup, dunno about that one either, you can of course use alt+f1 and alt+f8 to switch between vc1 and vc7 and thus verbose and silent - i think spock is still working on this

f2 does work for me in the -tng scripts

#89 2005-04-07 08:53:56

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Please check the lilo/grub samples in /etc/splash after every update - they are constantly updated and contain info you may need to get this working!

I will add a note to the install script in the next release of *splashutil packages to remind everyone.

New version of initscripts are up (standard and tng) they now contain a reminder to reinstall normal initscripts if you remove these ones - this was necessary after someone removed one of initscripts pkgs and couldn't boot their system.

#90 2005-04-07 10:45:24

miracle

Hi,dibblethewrecker.
My gensplashutils was the old version ,so there is splash in /etc/rc.d :-)

after updated the gensplashutils,there is gensplsh.

but,there are some problem here:
1,  After installed initscripts-gensplash-tng,the gensplsh didnt work
it displayed some like that"/etc/rc.d/func:line99
/etc/rc.d/func:line167             
/etc/rc.d/func:line168
miss files or dir"

2. when use the initscripts-gensplash  and  gensplashutils ,
both  the splash slient mode and verbose mode work  in the some time.

3, I still need to run /etc/rc,d/gensplash start by hand to fill the splash image with all console

My new  kernel is  2.6.11 with morph6 patch
the old is 2.6.10 with nitro4 patch,it work well except problem 3 above

title  Arch Linux (morph)
root      (hd0,1)
kernel   /vmlinuz2611-morph6-ARCH root=/dev/hda5 ro video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-16@85 splash=verbose,theme:current quiet CONSOLE=/dev/vc/1
initrd     /fbsplash-current-1024x768

Thanks for working so much on gensplash for arch smile

#91 2005-04-08 09:16:10

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

OK - new versions of regular and tng are up - they have an enhanced gensplash script which should reduce resource use.

I also added some bootchart images showing times for gensplash verbose and silent - they are here

#92 2005-04-12 11:52:47

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

another new version will be up soon

i have made some progress on the vc background setting problems and the CONSOLEFONT issue smile

#93 2005-04-12 20:15:49

jw

hey dibble,

i tried your new tng packages (gensplashutils-tng 1.1.9.3-4 and initscripts-gensplash-tng 0.7-4), but i get some really weird behaviour. for silent mode i boot with:

kernel /vmlinuz2611-cko2-jw ro root=/dev/discs/disc0/part3 devfs=nomount elevat
or=cfq-ts video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-16@75 splash=silent,theme:ArchMetal console=/dev/vc/1 quiet

-i get an empty progress bar, but the screen does not dissappear when runlevel 3 is reached.
-i can access a console by pressing alt+f2 and can login normally. however the prompt is incorrect. it says "(none) login:" instead of "myhostname login".
-when i login i get some message blurb printed on the screen, that is normally logged instead of printed
-none of the services are started

when i boot in verbose things are a little better. this is with:

kernel /vmlinuz2611-cko2-jw ro root=/dev/discs/disc0/part3 devfs=nomount elevat
or=cfq-ts video=vesafb:ywrap,pmipal,1024x768-16@75 splash=verbose,theme:ArchMetal console=/dev/vc/1

-i get to a normal login prompt
-however no services are started in this mode either

it seems the initscript are not working well on this system. i am afraid i do not really have time to mess with this stuff right now, so I will roll back to a previous version. fyi: i am still on kernel 2.6.11-cko2

#94 2005-04-13 12:25:45

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

jw - thanks for the great feedback - i have had this issue too.

try using

console=tty1

rather than

console=/dev/vc/1

i bet that fixes it perfectly!

i dunno why spock recommend the other one - may be it is distro specific or the gentoo kernel is built with something un-standard that he has overlooked

#95 2005-04-15 20:23:50

miracle

In fact,Problem also occur in Gentoo.
The new gensplashutils is still in  masked status,means unstable or need for testing,and cannt install it from  regular way in Gentoo.
I am also a gentoo user :-).
The gensplash of new version  still donnt work well in my gentoo now.
You have done a great job,dibble!

#96 2005-04-15 20:33:17

darkcoder

I also tryed the latest splash on a Gentoo box I had at work, also had problems with it (text over graphics no matter if I used tty1 or /vc/1) I just give up.

#97 2005-04-17 07:36:31

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

did you try the quiet option on your grub kernel line?

splash=verbose,theme:ArchMetal quiet console=tty1

that works best for me?

#98 2005-04-17 07:41:57

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

i just added new -tng pkgs to my server - they were supposed to be in the repo as of today but I forgot the dbase file.

this is the final testing release before they become standard so please test them and possibly pm me your results, I think i miss things in the thread sometimes smile

I can see a few people are having issues - I hope I am answering the questions ok - I am trying to keep up to date with fixes in the bootloader sample files so please remember to check them - i will also update the wiki

#99 2005-04-17 23:57:12

darkcoder

It works fine on my Arch PC, but no matter the setting I tryed on Gentoo, it just didn't work, always got text over the bar itself.  Anyways the system is configure as a server so no need for a nice splash anyway.

#100 2005-04-18 03:59:23

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

well, - glad you got it working in Arch! did what i said help?

Board footer