Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Clyde - A better libalpm/makepkg wrapper

clyde has native color support... it doesn't rely on pacman-color

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#28 2010-02-27 20:47:48

linkmaster03

If anyone reading this is thinking about installing Clyde, do it. There are a couple chained dependencies you'll need to install from AUR, but they are small, and Clyde is worth it. See for yourself:

$ time clyde -Ss lua
real    0m0.726s
user    0m0.287s
sys     0m0.193s

$ time yaourt -Ss lua
real    0m9.305s
user    0m6.013s
sys     0m2.966s
$ time clyde -Qs
real    0m0.177s
user    0m0.140s
sys     0m0.033s

$ time yaourt -Qs
real    1m18.135s
user    0m54.830s
sys     0m33.828s

Clyde is awesome! Thanks Kiwi! I have one suggestion though. Would it be possible to add a configuration option to search only official repositories by default, and maybe an option passed at run-time to include AUR? There can be a lot of packages in AUR that clog up my screen when I am searching for something like Firefox in an official repository, and I liked being able to invoke pacman or yaourt to filter what I wanted.

Last edited by linkmaster03 (2010-02-27 20:48:41)

#29 2010-02-27 22:26:02

quarkup
Website

Great Thanks !! !! !!

Thanks DigitalKiwi for clyde big_smile big_smile cool
Thanks Ghost1227 too big_smile

Things that yaourt had which where great:
- the use of the 'aurvote' tool
- the yaourt -G flag (to download the source package - PKGBUILD and stuff)
- the -Sb flag (to build from source: ABS or AUR)

- just to notice that clyde -Scc is not working yet.

edit:
the --stats flag is just awesome !!

Last edited by quarkup (2010-02-28 16:13:34)

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

#30 2010-02-28 02:01:27

anonymous_user

Clyde is pretty good. Im almost thinking of switching from packer. Maybe.

#31 2010-02-28 05:32:37

some-guy94

Once clyde supports -Syu from aur, then I'll be happy.

#32 2010-02-28 10:45:58

x0rg

It would be great if you could add a search, where all results are numbered and I can install the packages per number.
That would make me eventually switch from tupac/yaourt!

#33 2010-02-28 11:49:21

zowki
Website

Bug alert!

shaun@hacktop ~ % clyde -Si clyde-git
Repository     : aur
lua: failed to decompress [-3]
stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'read'
    /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/aur.lua:85: in function 'getgzip'
    /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/packages.lua:148: in function 'dump_pkg_full_aur'
    /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/packages.lua:184: in function 'dump_pkg_sync_aur'
    /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:353: in function </usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:294>
    (tail call): ?
    /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:1226: in function 'main'
    /usr/bin/clyde:981: in function '?'
    /usr/bin/clyde:985: in function </usr/bin/clyde:903>
    [C]: ?

Last edited by zowki (2010-02-28 11:52:32)

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#34 2010-02-28 13:14:53

quarkup
Website

using clyde-git  version: 20100227-1

more few bugs:
- clyde -Syu --aur does not update the AUR packages
- clyde -Syu sometimes do not upgrade the stuff, doing it again will just download the packages, not install them.
- clyde -Syu will print lines and lines of output (too many lines, check this: http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/5092/clydeupgrade.png )

- clyde sometimes does not respond immediatly to the Ctrl+C command (Cancel/Abort signal - SIGTERM)

edit: im gonna post it into the bug tracker

Last edited by quarkup (2010-02-28 16:17:29)

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.

#35 2010-02-28 14:05:36

linkmaster03

I have another little feature request. I think it would be cool if clyde showed what versions packages are being upgraded from upon -Syu, like yaourt does. Something like "package 0.9.9-1 -> package 1.0.0-1".

#36 2010-02-28 18:56:48

Kiwi

I have implemented the numerated list + install by number feature and showing what packages will be installed, I have not pushed it yet though because I found something broken in dependency checking/resolution which is causing me all sorts of hell.

I have done most of the work on adding color profiles. I am not good at picking alternate colors though. neutral

-Syu --aur has not been written to update aur yet, so not a bug, just a lacking feature I intend to work on soonish.

-Sc, -Scc, -T, and XferCommand are about the only things I have not put in that pacman has (I just never got to the first 3, the last I did not have the ability to until recently)

zowki, I have seen that from someone else too, but have only been able to reproduce it myself by hard coding bogus inputs so I am not sure why it happens at all... Anyway, I have made that function so it will return nil instead of failing miserably in such a case, all other code that uses it may not have been adjusted yet though to properly handle a nil return....

quarkup, I have not seen any problems with progress bars in a while so I am very sad. I also have not seen it not update packages, hmm... sad What terminal is that? Are you using screen or tmux? Why are you only on irc when I am not there? tongue

linkmaster03, as I said to you earlier on IRC about the official repos only search, sure I can do that. --aur aready searches only aur, there might as well be a --repos switch. I will throw one into the config too. I will consider the second idea.

A note on signals...Due to how they are implemted at the moment, for better or worse, they cannot exit clyde if it is doing something not Lua (or doing nothing, such as waiting for a y/n). For example, say it is in the middle of a libalpm transaction, and is halfway done installing a package. ctrl+c will not interrupt it, (which can cause issues anyway) but the next time a call is made to Lua (goes on to next package) a debug hook is triggered and it can exit cleanly without doing more. If you are at a y/n and hit ctrl+c <enter> it should exit. I have not decided if I can/should change it to exit no matter what. Really it causes more problems than it solves.

#37 2010-02-28 19:16:09

quarkup
Website

Hey. big_smile

I am using the yakuake application which uses the konsole terminal (i am using the bash shell also)
I was just running clyde.

Its weird because sometimes its working other times it does not work.

I think maybe depends on the number of the lines that can be printed out (the terminal "heigh") and the number of lines that are really printed as output.

good to have such a good yaourt replacement even that's still a beta big_smile

#38 2010-03-02 21:22:09

willl

Hi,

great works, for my daily usage just aurvote is missing,
I just notice this issue with elixir :

:: elixir package not found, searching for group...
:: elixir group not found, searching AUR...

==> Installing the following packages from AUR
 elixir  
 (Plus dependencies)

==> Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
lua: failed to decompress [-3]
stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'read'
    /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/aur.lua:82: in function 'getgzip'
    /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:779: in function 'getdepends'
    /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:808: in function 'getalldeps'
    /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:841: in function </usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:619>
    /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:1217: in function 'clyde_sync'
    /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:1223: in function 'main'
    /usr/bin/clyde:975: in function '?'
    /usr/bin/clyde:979: in function </usr/bin/clyde:897>

good luck.

#39 2010-03-03 02:07:06

Kiwi

Judging from the "Plus dependencies" output you likely have a version older than one I pushed something that should have fixed that crash. Though, I had problems installing elixir but for different reasons than that...I'll look into fixing that when I get a chance. >.>

#40 2010-03-03 11:50:01

alterecco

Clyde seems to be working wonderfully. Thanks a lot for this.

As a tmux user however, the white background on the descriptions burn my eyes smile
I suggest not wrapping the printing of the descriptions in C.italic. At least that fixed the problem for me. It might be a quick fix, but tbh I don't know how many terminal users like italics, so it might not be that bad smile

#41 2010-03-03 18:07:34

Kiwi

When I get the color profiles implemented, which should be pretty soon, then it will be trivial to disable italics (just put "" in instead of an ansi code). It would be disabled for all places I use them, but if I remember right descriptions are the only place, and besides, you would most likely want them gone entirely anyway. Note: Until I do get them you can edit /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/colorize.lua by hand if you really want.

Change: ['italic']=     '\27[3m',
To: ['italic']=     '',

Also, I finally got transaction and event callbacks in! (Will try to push to git at least by this evening) Those are for the messages that Pacman has that people have been wondering where they are in Clyde...also logging! Now pacman.log will show that you installed/updated etc. like Pacman does.

Note: These are likely the least tested things in Clyde as a lot of them occur pretty uncommonly. From the ones I have tested and the fact they are mostly the same as the others they are highly likely to work pragmatically, most bugs that might appear would probably be stupid spelling failures.

There are a few things I really need to fix as they are utterly stupid and unfinished in sync.lua, then I will probably finish color profiles, update --help to reflect additional options provided by Clyde, and then start on -Syu --aur. big_smile

BTW: I added the ReposOnly option to clyde.conf, you might want to recreate it or add that if you would like to use it. 

#Searching AUR is enabled by default. Uncomment the following line to only search with --aur
#ReposOnly

People have been asking how often they should update Clyde, basically I push at least something most days, so if you updated every day you would get some potentially major bug fixes, on the other hand, more bugs might get introduced. >.> But if I do happen to push a bug on accident, I usually find it within a few hours, maybe a day if it is really obscure.

Until --help is updated, for those curious, these are the additional flags Clyde has at the moment.
--color
--nocolor
--aur
--repos
--stats
--editor

Last edited by Kiwi (2010-03-03 21:55:57)

#42 2010-03-04 11:29:02

quarkup
Website

hi again,

~ $ clyde -Syu --aur                    
:: Synchronizing package databases...                          
core                      36,0K  768,7K/s 00:00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
extra                    448,3K 1222,3K/s 00:00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
community                359,2K 1309,7K/s 00:00:00 [------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...                                                                                                                                                      
:: Replace jack-audio-connection-kit with extra/jack? [Y/n]                                                                                                                             
resolving dependencies...                                                                                                                                                               
looking for inter-conflicts...                                                                                                                                                          

lua: /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/util.lua:367: attempt to call method 'pkg_download_size' (a nil value)
stack traceback:                                                                                       
        /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/util.lua:367: in function 'display_targets'                        
        /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/util.lua:410: in function 'display_synctargets'                    
        /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:1179: in function 'sync_trans'
        /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:1322: in function 'clyde_sync'
        /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/sync.lua:1328: in function 'main'
        /usr/bin/clyde:994: in function '?'
        /usr/bin/clyde:1001: in function </usr/bin/clyde:915>

then

~ $ clyde -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed to init transaction(unable to lock database)
  if you're sure a package manager is not already
  running, you can remove /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
error: failed to init transaction(unable to lock database)
  if you're sure a package manager is not already
  running, you can remove /var/lib/pacman/db.lck

i got an alias in which clyde='sudo clyde'

big_smile

#43 2010-03-04 12:54:17

Andrwe
Website

Don't know whether you've already seen it but I've send a bug report here:
http://bugs.archuser.com/index.php?project=4&do=index

#44 2010-03-04 20:51:14

alterecco

I just experienced this:

[box@bliss ~]$ sudo clyde -S chromium                                                                                                                                                

Targets (7): orbit2-2.14.17-1  gconf-2.28.0-1  xdg-utils-1.0.2.20100303-1  chromium-5.0.307.11-1  gconf-2.28.0-1  xdg-utils-1.0.2.20100303-1  orbit2-2.14.17-1  

Total Download Size:    16.23 MB
Total Installed Size:   64.68 MB

==> Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
orbit2-2.14.17-1-i686    354.4K  211.3K/s 00:00:02 [###########################################################################################################################] 100%
gconf-2.28.0-1-i686     1846.5K  276.5K/s 00:00:07 [###########################################################################################################################] 100%
xdg-utils-1.0.2.2010...   43.9K   68.5K/s 00:00:01 [###########################################################################################################################] 100%
chromium-5.0.307.11-...   11.8M  300.7K/s 00:00:40 [###########################################################################################################################] 100%
(4/4) checking for file conflicts                  [###########################################################################################################################] 100%
(1/4) installing orbit2                            [###########################################################################################################################] 100%
(2/4) installing gconf                             [###########################################################################################################################] 100%
(3/4) installing xdg-utils                         [###########################################################################################################################] 100%
(4/4) installing chromium                          [###########################################################################################################################] 100%
[box@bliss ~]$ clyde -Q clyde-git
local/clyde-git 20100303-1
[box@bliss ~]$

It reported three of the deps twice.

Edit: would you prefer bug reports on the tracker, or is it not a big issue?

Last edited by alterecco (2010-03-04 20:52:26)

#45 2010-03-04 21:28:28

thoughtcrime
Website

Clyde is awesome! I like everything about it so far, except for these few bugs like the one with the jack thing mentioned above - I've got that here, too. But anyway, I guess these little bugs will get fixed, and then we will have a perfect yaourt replacement!

- blog (about arch and other stuff): http://thoughtyblog.wordpress.com/
- x86_64 user

#46 2010-03-05 00:55:50

Kiwi

I was pretty sure I fixed the one with the multiple deps on March 1st, now I do not know what is happening. Though come to think of it that was only happening when there were aur packages...anyway I know where it is happening I just need to figure out why exactly.

The jack crash I do not have any idea why it is doing that.

Andrwe, hate to say it but that is user error, not a bug. It does not parse pacman.conf anymore after you create /etc/clyde.conf. You need to edit that instead.

quarkup, delete the lock file like it told you to. ;D

EDIT: I have no idea what you are talking about, installing chromium works exactly as expected here... (*cough* update please and tell me if I really fixed it)

EDIT1: It should update to jack fine now! big_smile

Last edited by Kiwi (2010-03-05 03:32:01)

#47 2010-03-05 05:57:58

smartboyathome
Website

Yet another request, perhaps make clyde able to use something other than the traditional pacman method? I use powerill and rebase to update and install stuff, so those would be nice features to have.

#48 2010-03-05 08:29:09

Andrwe
Website

Kiwi wrote:

Andrwe, hate to say it but that is user error, not a bug. It does not parse pacman.conf anymore after you create /etc/clyde.conf. You need to edit that instead.

Ah, k , sorry didn't know that clyde uses it's own conf copied from pacman.conf.
Thank you for telling me smile

Nice work by the way. cool

#49 2010-03-05 14:16:08

thoughtcrime
Website

Kiwi wrote:

EDIT1: It should update to jack fine now! big_smile

It does, thanks for the fix!

- blog (about arch and other stuff): http://thoughtyblog.wordpress.com/
- x86_64 user

#50 2010-03-05 14:25:38

simongmzlj

Will clyde get a -G operation to just grab a PKGBUILD from aur?

Board footer