You are not logged in.

#701 2011-07-29 03:27:59

GSF1200S

Re: Clyde - A better libalpm/makepkg wrapper

I too am saddened to see Clyde die off- the loss of bauerbill and clyde have made me stagger around the Arch world lost (kidding, but still).

I can vouch for cower as a great option, aurget also works well (is pretty simple as well), and paktahn is a great option as well. Paktahn is written in lisp which scares some people, but its been around a while and still works well.

Id say it depends on what aspect of clyde you like as to what choice you might make. Cower and Aurget are more simple, while Paktahn is more of a yaourt replacement.

Personally I use Cower at times and Paktahn at times- that is, once I started having Clyde issues.

Sad to see the project go (unless someone grabs the torch)- thanks so much for your work on this project.

#702 2011-07-31 18:32:28

sas

Spyhawk wrote:

If you really like Clyde interface, you might have a look at yaourt. Clyde originally started as a replacement for yaourt due to its poor performance, but yaourt gained lot of speed since it switched to a C backend.

I had switched from yaourt to clyde, and the better performance was not the only thing I quickly came to love about clyde...

Another important thing (to me) is that it's much less annoying than yaourt used to be.

In yaourt, the number of "Yes/No [ENTER]" prompts I had to answer for every single AUR package I wanted to install was simply ridiculous. And to make it even trickier, they made it so that you had to answer "Y [ENTER]" to some and "N [ENTER]" to other questions in order to continue with the installation.

I clyde, after clyde -S packagename I only have to press "y" twice (don't even have to press ENTER), and then (after having looked over the packagebuild contents) "[CTRL]+X" to close the editor, and then no more interruptions.

Also, I really hated yaourt's behavior of not installing the package I explicitly requested on the command line, but instead showing me a list of all packages that contain this string and forcing me to enter the number for the package I intended. Not only because this amounted to additional keyboard input, but also because sometimes, the intended package (which matched the package name I entered 100%) was buried between many dozens of other, partly-matching "search results" which made it a hassle to even find it.

So, my question is... is yaourt still like that, or has it changed in that regard too?

If not, which of the other AUR helpers (preferably with pacman-syntax so I don't have to re-learn, and preferably with nice colorful output like clyde) are less annoying?

Last edited by sas (2011-07-31 18:33:19)

#703 2011-07-31 21:11:33

kaptenen
Website

sas wrote:

Damn, so much hate! I agree with most of the things you are writing but I think that you are very hard against an application (and it´s developer) from at least 2006, how many AUR wrapper did we have then? Maybe we should be grateful and just move on?

And, you can use alias if the syntax is to annoying.

#704 2011-07-31 22:27:40

Spyhawk

sas wrote:

I had switched from yaourt to clyde, and the better performance was not the only thing I quickly came to love about clyde...

Another important thing (to me) is that it's much less annoying than yaourt used to be.

So, my question is... is yaourt still like that, or has it changed in that regard too?

I'd say that I fully agree with you, all you said were the reasons why I really prefered clyde over yaourt. Unfortunately, yaourt hasn't become "less annoying" to use over time (it personally gives me headache), but yes, yaourt was designed many years ago and many others aur helper have been designed since then, although yaourt is still widely used in the French community where it originated from. But afaik, no other aur helper is as feature rich as yaourt/clyde. You only have to ask yourself if you really need those features, or if they are just extra bloat.

sas wrote:

If not, which of the other AUR helpers (preferably with pacman-syntax so I don't have to re-learn, and preferably with nice colorful output like clyde) are less annoying?

I might be *very* biased here, but pacaur was designed specially is this regard: fast workflow, uncluttered interface.

Last edited by Spyhawk (2011-07-31 22:48:11)

#705 2011-08-01 12:38:41

sas

@kaptenen: Ah, I didn't mean to come across like that... I don't think the yaourt developers are incompetent or anything, most of the "annoyances" I mentioned are probably "features" in the eyes of others (I think I even remember some users asking for similar behavior to be implemented in clyde a while back). It's just that I, personally, don't like those "features" very much, and I thought describing my grievances with yaourt would make it possible for others to point me in the direction of alternative AUR helpers that better match my personal taste.

@Spyhawk: Thanks, I'll give pacaur a try.

#706 2011-08-16 10:58:13

smartboyathome
Website

(just found out about this) I'm sorry to see this go, but I'm glad that yaourt has since moved on to become better than it once was. Clyde will alway be one of my favorites though. smile

#707 2011-10-19 13:45:58

hoelzro

Hi,

I'm the hoelzro from the identica discussion (wow, it's been over four years since I last logged in).  I'm still interested in assembling a team to work on this, and I think this forum would be a more effective place to do so.  Is anyone still interested in helping?

-Rob

Board footer