You are not logged in.

#176 2010-03-30 12:54:59

muunleit

Re: Clyde - A better libalpm/makepkg wrapper

Ghost1227 wrote:

Yay for updates! The clyde homepage just got a major overhaul!

clap3.gifbiggrin2.gifclap3.gifbiggrin2.gifclap3.gif

"The mind can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven" -- John Milton

#177 2010-03-30 23:00:02

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Kiwi wrote:

At the moment that is one of only like two features of Pacman not implemented yet. When I was at the spot I would have written it I did not have something else implemented I needed, iirc. Since then I have implemented the other thing but never made it back to it.

Thanks, will wait on that. Great job, this thing is REALLY fast.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#178 2010-04-01 05:20:40

Kiwi

I just did a huge stream of commits. Fixed a few bugs and display issues. Changed/added some colors. -G now downloads to the current directory. /tmp/clyde has been changed to /tmp/clyde-$USER to avoid permission issues. The Makefile now supports building only lualpm, there is an AUR package for lualpm-git now. There exists a man page. Thanks davekong! Just waiting on Ghost1227 to update the install stuff so it actually gets installed. I also need to touch it up as it does not have all the options Clyde has listed yet, but I figured something was better than nothing.

Most importantly....I give to you -Syu --aur !!!! and ofc `-Su --aur`

It is in still in a baby stage but it seemed to work...let me know if there are any issues and suggested improvements. It certainly is not finished, but as I said about the man page, something is better than nothing.

#179 2010-04-01 05:58:47

EnvoyRising

Clyde doesn't seem to exit cleanly when trying to -Rsn packages that have other packages that depend on it:

$ clyde -Rsn awesome-git
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
lua: /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/remove.lua:105: attempt to index global 'C' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
        /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/remove.lua:105: in function 'clyde_remove'
        /usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/remove.lua:148: in function </usr/share/lua/5.1/clydelib/remove.lua:147>
        (tail call): ?
        /usr/bin/clyde:1018: in function </usr/bin/clyde:929>
        (tail call): ?
        [C]: ?
$

Subsequent run:

clyde -Rsn awesome-git
error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
  if you're sure a package manager is not already
  running, you can remove /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
$

Removing /var/lib/pacman/db.lck then retryin returns the first snippet.  Running via pacman reveals that the problem is that I have a program that requires awesome-git installed:

pacman -Rsn awesome-git
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: eminent-git: requires awesome
$

-Rcn works as expected.  Sorry for the length of this "bug report". I just figured the more details there were, the easier it would be to find an elegant way to handle the above use case (especially considering it demonstrates pacman's response to the situation).

Anyways, getting ready to try an -Syu --aur, so wish me luck! Clyde pwns, I'm pretty sure.

#180 2010-04-01 06:08:42

Kiwi

Date:   Thu Apr 1 00:57:12 2010 -0500

[remove.lua] Forgot to add C = colorize, thought it was already there tbh...

Either you are slow or I am insanely fast, I fixed it before you even posted. smile

Sorry about that.

#181 2010-04-01 07:47:42

EnvoyRising

Damn, way to be, man!

How about this: Trying to grep for a particular repo when using -Q jacks up terminal colors. ('clyde -Q | grep local' for example)

Also, doing 'clyde -Su --aur' displays 'syncing AUR database' which seems odd to me, considering I thought that was what the 'y' is for.

Last edited by EnvoyRising (2010-04-01 07:51:53)

#182 2010-04-01 20:28:05

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

I just got some bad news that I felt needed to be shared with all our users. As some of you probably know (I believe it's been mentioned here before, and I know it's been mentioned online), DigitalKiwi's girlfriend recently broke up with him. What you probably don't know is that he's been severely depressed ever since. About an hour and a half ago, he left school and ran his car off the road. He was admitted to the Saint Elizabeth Regional Medical Center in stable condition, where he informed doctors that the 'accident' was a suicide attempt. He was subsequently released from Saint Elizabeth and committed to the Richard Young Center Psychiatric Hospital on suicide watch. From the information I've been able to gather, he will be staying with them for an as-of-yet indetermined amount of time.

As such, clyde development will be stalled for now. I will be providing what little support I can while still keeping up with my other responsibilities, but I can make no promises as to the extent of work I'll be able to do. Working two jobs and being an Arch dev monopolize much of my time.

I hope you can all join me in hoping that Kiwi makes a speedy recovery and that the doctors at Richard Young can find a way to stabilize him. Hopefully, upon his release, he will be able to rejoin the community and restart clyde development. I will be keeping you all up-to-date on any news I hear about his status and/or condition. We will miss you DigitalKiwi! Get well soon!

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#183 2010-04-01 20:33:55

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

If that's an April Fools joke, it's in extremely poor taste.

Otherwise, Damn. Hope you're feeling better soon!

#184 2010-04-01 20:37:16

flamelab

Ehm, is that true ...? I really hope that it is a (bad) April's fools joke.

#185 2010-04-01 20:48:54

pogeymanz

I hope everything ends up okay.

#186 2010-04-02 05:11:12

Kiwi

hehe

It was only partly true.

#187 2010-04-02 05:43:59

EnvoyRising

Sorry to hear the news bro. I know its got to be rough finding other kiwis to breed with.

Last edited by EnvoyRising (2010-04-02 05:44:14)

#188 2010-04-02 06:03:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

EnvoyRising wrote:

Sorry to hear the news bro. I know its got to be rough finding other kiwis to breed with.

The way of the dodo?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#189 2010-04-02 07:41:12

Kiwi

muunleit wrote:
Kiwi wrote:

I thought I fixed that as Daenyth said, when did you install/update Clyde last?

And I do not check bugs.archuser very often, use github.

The '-Rs' problem still exists with todays Clyde-build, if you meant me not litemotiv.

I moved my bug-report to github. Maybe the 'Bugs'-button on Clyde's webpage should link to github instead bugs.archuser.com and maybe Ghost1227 should edit his post on page 1 to send people only to github for bug-reports.

This is fixed. In more than one way. The problem is fixed and the bugs link now goes to the issues page on github. I also asked Ghost1227 to edit the post so that should hopefully get resolved as well.

It is okay, I will find another lovely bird/fruit I am sure. Chicks dig geeks who write "package managers", amirite?

#190 2010-04-02 09:14:28

ijanos

Kiwi wrote:

It is okay, I will find another lovely bird/fruit I am sure. Chicks dig geeks who write "package managers", amirite?

Show them your plush penguin smile

#191 2010-04-02 10:48:40

Rasi
Website

hmm.. i tried a -Syu today with pacman and with clyde.
Oddly, they differed. pacman had an update for pacman, clyde didnt...

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#192 2010-04-02 11:47:02

Kiwi

Rasi wrote:

hmm.. i tried a -Syu today with pacman and with clyde.
Oddly, they differed. pacman had an update for pacman, clyde didnt...

Well how else am I supposed to compete with pacman if not by keeping it outdated... ;D

Do you have [testing] enabled in pacman.conf and not clyde.conf?

P.S.
The penguin gets them every time.

#193 2010-04-02 22:11:37

pogeymanz

That was not a funny April fools joke.

#194 2010-04-03 16:29:33

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Clyde seems to work ok.
just some thoughts:
- wouldn't it be easier to read pacman.conf and only put clyde-specific things in clyde.conf?
- on first start: "You do not yet have a clyde.conf, would you like to create one? [Y/n]" ,  why not just tell the user to copy the config form /usr/share/clyde/..defaultconfig? and edit it.  No need for config generation.  KISS wink

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#195 2010-04-03 16:50:59

ideopath72

- wouldn't it be easier to read pacman.conf and only put clyde-specific things in clyde.conf?
- on first start: "You do not yet have a clyde.conf, would you like to create one? [Y/n]" ,  why not just tell the user to copy the config form /usr/share/clyde/..defaultconfig? and edit it.  No need for config generation.  KISS wink

+1

Live it or live with it...

#196 2010-04-03 19:38:52

Bregol

Dieter@be wrote:

Clyde seems to work ok.
just some thoughts:

I was thinking the same thing - it would be helpful if i use clyde most of the time but have some scripts that use pacman. That way when I mess with my repos and so forth I only need to update 1 config.  It just seems a little redundant to have clyde.conf be exactly pacman.conf plus one extra section.

In other news, after bouncing around trying out different pacman wrappers and so forth to try and replace yaourt (which i did enjoy due to the completeness of the feature set and amount of information given when running searches), i finally landed here with clyde and today i decided i was happy enough with it to finally uninstall yaourt smile

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

#197 2010-04-03 23:00:51

bcat
Website

ideopath72 wrote:

+1

+2

Running Arch on a Dell Studio 1735. xmonad FTW! Dotfiles here.
Want free cloud-based file sharing? Sign up for Dropbox and we both get some bonus storage!

#198 2010-04-03 23:21:46

aeosynth
Website

[request] Now that we've got -Syu --aur, can we get something like packer's --devel, which updates all the git/hg/svn/etc packages? Ideally clyde would store information about the packages and only update when there have been new commits.

[request] --noedit option. I want clyde to wait for me to confirm installation, but once I've done that, I don't want it to repeatedly ask me to edit pkgbuilds.

#199 2010-04-03 23:54:57

JohannesSM64
Website

Dieter@be wrote:

Clyde is a pacman replacement, not a wrapper. It does not make sense to read pacman.conf.

- on first start: "You do not yet have a clyde.conf, would you like to create one? [Y/n]" ,  why not just tell the user to copy the config form /usr/share/clyde/..defaultconfig? and edit it.  No need for config generation.  KISS :wink:

Indeed that would be more KISS, but the config generation from pacman.conf is more convenient for users coming from pacman that have customized pacman.conf already and don't want to first cp blah blah blah then diff clyde.conf and pacman.conf and edit clyde.conf appropriately.

aeosynth wrote:

[request] Now that we've got -Syu --aur, can we get something like packer's --devel, which updates all the git/hg/svn/etc packages? Ideally clyde would store information about the packages and only update when there have been new commits.

+1

Last edited by JohannesSM64 (2010-04-03 23:58:41)

#200 2010-04-04 14:38:19

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

JohannesSM64 wrote:
Dieter@be wrote:

Clyde is a pacman replacement, not a wrapper. It does not make sense to read pacman.conf.

Uhm yes it does. exactly because it's design goal is to "be an easy move from pacman".  I suggest you take a look at clyde.conf; 90% of it == pacman.conf

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Board footer