You are not logged in.

#51 2005-04-06 22:35:35

MrGrumpy

Re: ati radeon driver install

Right am I missing something here what am i supposed to do with these PKGBUILD codes that have been posted in this thread ? I`m following the howto on this site and it talks about making a directory etc etc which i`ve done and creating files such as PKGBUILD in the aforemention directory ? However i appear to be hitting a brick wall, I get the following error :-

[root@myhost ati]# makepkg
==> Making package: ati-drivers  (Wed Apr  6 23:35:28 BST 2005)
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
==> Missing Dependencies:
==>
requires: ati-drivers-module
==>
[root@myhost ati]#

Anyone shed some light ???

MrG

#52 2005-04-07 00:59:56

qwerty

You need first to make and install ati-drivers-module-kernel26 (or something like that) that is required to build/install ati-drivers package.

good luck wink

#53 2005-04-07 08:07:16

MrGrumpy

and how do i go about that ? as the how to on this site is out of date.

MrG

#54 2005-04-07 08:51:17

puntmuts

When I read the post of qwerty correctly, there are 2 package builds. So why don't you try the other one first ? You'll probably have to install it after creating a package.

Or throw away your ATI card and get a card with decent Linux support. big_smile

Out / Gone
Mirgrating all my machines off ArchLinux . No longer part of the ArchLinux community / users .
Done. Goodbye.

#55 2005-04-07 10:25:49

MrGrumpy

puntmuts wrote:

When I read the post of qwerty correctly, there are 2 package builds. So why don't you try the other one first ? You'll probably have to install it after creating a package.

Or throw away your ATI card and get a card with decent Linux support. big_smile

Don`t tempt me on the throw away comment, I can tell you one thing unless things improve dramatically with ATI linux support it will be the last card I buy from them. Anyway I`ll try out the build seperatly and see if that helps.

MrG

#56 2005-04-07 10:35:52

MrGrumpy

Right I`ve tried the pkgbuild for ati-driver-modules-kernel26 and i get this

[root@myhost ati]# makepkg
==> Making package: ati-drivers-module-kernel26  (Thu Apr  7 11:33:00 BST 2005)
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
==> Missing Dependencies:
==>
requires: kernel26=2.6.11.6-ARCH
==>
[root@myhost ati]# uname -r
2.6.11.6-ARCH
[root@myhost ati]#

I changed the appropriate line in the PKGBUILD file to reflect the kernel version and still no dice. If only rpm -i was an easy option. Thing is the card works quite well as I had it working in Mepis and Ubuntu.

MrG

#57 2005-04-07 11:25:19

d3c3it
Website

thanks for the pkgbuild, i came across this while using the power of search, going to test tonight as currently i cant get dri working at all.

1 thing thou, from what ive read above do i just need to set my agpgart as a module in the kernel? or do i need to compile anything as a module?

"Covered in blood, Cant understand" - Biffy Clyro

#58 2005-04-07 16:52:12

starthis

@ MrGrumpy :

Do you have the kernel26 package? Check with 'pacman -Q kernel26'.
If you are using the kernel26-scsi, change this line in the ati-drivers-module-kernel26 PKGBUILD :

depends=("kernel26=$kernelpkgver" 'xorg') 

to

depends=("kernel26-scsi=$kernelpkgver" 'xorg') 

@d3c3it

1 thing thou, from what ive read above do i just need to set my agpgart as a module in the kernel? or do i need to compile anything as a module?

Both agpgart and chipset apg code. (The latter is already build as module in arch stock kernel I think)

#59 2005-04-07 17:04:01

MrGrumpy

starthis wrote:

@ MrGrumpy :

Do you have the kernel26 package? Check with 'pacman -Q kernel26'.
If you are using the kernel26-scsi, change this line in the ati-drivers-module-kernel26 PKGBUILD :

depends=("kernel26=$kernelpkgver" 'xorg') 

to

depends=("kernel26-scsi=$kernelpkgver" 'xorg') 

@d3c3it

Both agpgart and chipset apg code. (The latter is already build as module in arch stock kernel I think)

Ok i get this

[root@myhost ~]# pacman -Q kernel26
kernel26 2.6.11.3-1

but I`ve just installed a new kernel as per another problem does this need to change. My reasoning for this was due to this problem http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=11460

All very confusing

MrG

#60 2005-04-07 18:43:06

starthis

As I see it you installed a kernel the old fashioned way (not using abs).
If your kernel is built ok (agpgart as module), drop the dependency kernel26 so dependency looks like :

depends=('xorg')

Another way is to put 2.6.11.3-1 as kernelpkgver in the PKGBUILD.
The cleanest way is to build your kernel through ABS and add the new kernel package with pacman. (Matter of taste though)

Your problem originates from the fact that building a kernel the 'normal' way (make -s clean bzImage modules modules_install) won't add it as package to pacman. So its normal that pacman doesn't find the dependency kernel26=2.6.11.6 because it finds kernel26 2.6.11.3-1.

Beware that when upgrading kernel later on, you will need to rebuild the ati module pkg.

#61 2005-04-07 19:36:56

MrGrumpy

Right changing the depends made sod all differance. So I`m trying the ABS way and that has now crapped out on me with some validity check, this is now getting a bit silly.

MrG

Right i appear to be getting somewhere, I`ve gone into the ABS directory and did a

makepkg -g >>PKGBUILD

and it looks like its doing a kernel compile hoorah !!!
BTW I edited the config file with the necessary changes to the modules, I think ?? So after doing this what do i need to do, is it a case of

pacman -S kernel26

or something, before more blood and sweat with the ATI install.

#62 2005-04-07 19:39:07

d3c3it
Website

Well i've got the module loading now also /dev/dri/card0 shows up but still no dri.

in the log i have

[agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENOMEM"
cannot init agp

Anyone any ideas? Ive got xorg in, custom kernel, latest ati drivers and mesa.
PS sorry for not using tags above im on elinks

#63 2005-04-07 20:43:47

starthis

@d3c3it

The error unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENOMEM" in your XFree86 log usually means that you are using the built-in AGP support with an unsupported chipset. Set "UseInternalAGPGART" to "no" and load the kernel driver (see below for details) which will hopefully support your AGP chipset.

If you want to use the ATI driver's built-in AGP support instead, set "UseInternalAGPGART" to "yes" (it's the default setting, so you can just omit it) and make sure that the kernel driver is not compiled into your kernel: either compile it as a module or disable it entirely. Beware that discover (and possibly other hardware detection tools) might try to load the kernel driver automatically during startup. If that happens to you, you can tweak discover's configuration or you can simply move the agpgart.* files away from /lib/modules.

If neither one supports your chipset, try using the kernel driver with the agp_try_unsupported=1 option on the kernel command line or as a parameter when you load the module.

Note that in the 2.6 kernel the AGP chipset drivers are separate from the agpgart driver itself, so if you build them as modules you will need to load the agpgart module and a chipset module such as via-agp, nvidia-agp, etc.

@MrGrumpy

Just follow the wiki till the end. You can install the custom kernel package with 'pacman -S packagename' it will be installed next to the stock kernel, just add an entry in you grub's menu.lst for the new kernel.

After a couple of ATI driver installs you will be able to do it blindfolded  8)
Hang in there. (btw your custom kernel built without abs probably worked with the ATI driver already?)

#64 2005-04-07 20:57:55

MrGrumpy

Well I`m tired to be honest, I`m getting myself in knots with this, the ABS thing looked like it worked but i thought I needed to make other changes to the config file after which i get a whole load of errors when i go through the compile again. I blame ATI for this, its utter tosh. I should of stuck to nvidia, won`t make that mistake again.

MrG

BTW  yes I am grumpy  :twisted:

#65 2005-04-07 21:01:55

d3c3it
Website

starthis wrote:

@d3c3it

The error unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENOMEM" in your XFree86 log usually means that you are using the built-in AGP support with an unsupported chipset. Set "UseInternalAGPGART" to "no" and load the kernel driver (see below for details) which will hopefully support your AGP chipset.

If you want to use the ATI driver's built-in AGP support instead, set "UseInternalAGPGART" to "yes" (it's the default setting, so you can just omit it) and make sure that the kernel driver is not compiled into your kernel: either compile it as a module or disable it entirely. Beware that discover (and possibly other hardware detection tools) might try to load the kernel driver automatically during startup. If that happens to you, you can tweak discover's configuration or you can simply move the agpgart.* files away from /lib/modules.

If neither one supports your chipset, try using the kernel driver with the agp_try_unsupported=1 option on the kernel command line or as a parameter when you load the module.

Note that in the 2.6 kernel the AGP chipset drivers are separate from the agpgart driver itself, so if you build them as modules you will need to load the agpgart module and a chipset module such as via-agp, nvidia-agp, etc.

@MrGrumpy

Just follow the wiki till the end. You can install the custom kernel package with 'pacman -S packagename' it will be installed next to the stock kernel, just add an entry in you grub's menu.lst for the new kernel.

After a couple of ATI driver installs you will be able to do it blindfolded  8)
Hang in there. (btw your custom kernel built without abs probably worked with the ATI driver already?)

starthis, i got my own custom kernel done now, but im still not able to install the stock, im not really bothered to be honest i always follow my own kernel path no matter what linux distro i use smile
well the good news is, ive finally got dri working, i upped my agp apature size to 256mb (got 1gb of ram) but still its alot im not happy about, i might try downgrading it to see if it still works.
The bad news is im only getting 700fps, wonder why?? its a 9800, ill l-look over my settings, i think fsaa got turned on

EDIT: *does a silly little dance* tis working tis working, 4xxxfps in glxgears, turns out it was fsaa lol

#66 2005-04-08 00:23:02

qwerty

HEY WAIT A MOMENT!!!!

New ati drivers are out smile

I'm gonna try them with standard archlinux kernel in a few minutes and i'll let you know if they work.

C ya

#67 2005-04-08 01:04:58

qwerty

ok not in few minutes... it's 3 am, i'm gonna try 'em tomorrow.

#68 2005-04-08 05:01:47

MrGrumpy

new ATI drivers whohooo hope they are easier to install than these current ones on this.

MrG

#69 2005-04-08 05:09:36

grail

I just installed the new ATI drivers and it works fine with my compiled 2.6.11.6 kernel. I just used the PKGBUILD's for the previous ATI drivers and manually modified them.

#uname -r
2.6.11.6-ARCH
#lsmod | grep fglrx
fglrx                 244924  7

#fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: FireMV 2400 PCI DDR Generic
OpenGL version string: 1.3.5010 (X4.3.0-8.12.10)

#fgl_glxgears
846 frames in 5.0 seconds = 169.200 FPS
861 frames in 5.0 seconds = 172.200 FPS
873 frames in 5.0 seconds = 174.600 FPS
858 frames in 5.0 seconds = 171.600 FPS

#70 2005-04-08 08:03:21

d3c3it
Website

ahhg not new ones, ive just got these working lol

#71 2005-04-08 09:07:03

starthis

I have to agree on that one. Reinstalling the ATI drivers over and over is getting boring  :shock:

Though I still experience random system freeze now and then with the ATI drivers (not arch related), I keep on hoping the problem will be fixed with a new driver release. So here we go again  :oops:

#72 2005-04-08 12:54:06

d3c3it
Website

starthis wrote:

I have to agree on that one. Reinstalling the ATI drivers over and over is getting boring  :shock:

Though I still experience random system freeze now and then with the ATI drivers (not arch related), I keep on hoping the problem will be fixed with a new driver release. So here we go again  :oops:

Funny you say that, because i had that on my laptop (nvidia drivers) turns out that its whenever i used use_storage, the machine would freeze.

#73 2005-04-08 14:27:53

MrGrumpy

Is this what my config file should look like with regard the video card-agp section ??

# Ftape, the floppy tape device driver
#
# CONFIG_FTAPE is not set
CONFIG_AGP=m
CONFIG_AGP_ALI=y
CONFIG_AGP_ATI=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL_MCH=y
CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA=m
CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON=y
CONFIG_DRM=m
CONFIG_DRM_TDFX=m
# CONFIG_DRM_GAMMA is not set
CONFIG_DRM_R128=m
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
CONFIG_DRM_I810=m
CONFIG_DRM_I830=m
CONFIG_DRM_I915=m
CONFIG_DRM_MGA=m
CONFIG_DRM_SIS=m

Just before i go any further ?

BTW its a Nforce2 mobo

MrG

#74 2005-04-08 14:38:24

d3c3it
Website

MrGrumpy wrote:

Is this what my config file should look like with regard the video card-agp section ??

#
CONFIG_AGP=m
CONFIG_AGP_ALI=y
CONFIG_AGP_ATI=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=y
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL_MCH=y
CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA=m
CONFIG_AGP_SIS=y
CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON=y
CONFIG_DRM=m
CONFIG_DRM_TDFX=m
CONFIG_DRM_R128=m
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
CONFIG_DRM_I810=m
CONFIG_DRM_I830=m
CONFIG_DRM_I915=m
CONFIG_DRM_MGA=m
CONFIG_DRM_SIS=m

Just before i go any further ?

BTW its a Nforce2 mobo

MrG

IMHO it should read

#
CONFIG_AGP=m
CONFIG_AGP_ALI=n
CONFIG_AGP_ATI=n
CONFIG_AGP_AMD=n
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=n
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=n
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL_MCH=n
CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA=m
CONFIG_AGP_SIS=n
CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS=n
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=n
CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON=
CONFIG_DRM=m
CONFIG_DRM_TDFX=m
CONFIG_DRM_R128=n
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=n
CONFIG_DRM_I810=n
CONFIG_DRM_I830=n
CONFIG_DRM_I915=n
CONFIG_DRM_MGA=n
CONFIG_DRM_SIS=n 

As you only want the nvidia agp to be built, nothing else

#75 2005-04-08 14:41:52

MrGrumpy

Ok ta, so after that what do i need to do to install this new compiled ABS kernel ? Is it a case of pacman -S kernel26 !!

BTW thanks so far

MrG

Board footer