You are not logged in.

#26 2005-02-18 12:31:12

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [kernel] custom/patched kernel PKGBUILD

my PKGBUILD uses the LOCALVERSION you set in the config file to create the dir names and pkgnames - as you said they are only as unique as you make them when you set LOCALVERSION - i'll answer a bit more in detail later - I have just come back from a disaster area in the Philippines and I am a bit tired!  Sorry  sad

#27 2005-02-18 12:34:39

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

AHHHH! WHOOPS!  Looks like an important line got left out in the ongoing editing!

# Set a new pkgname from  kernel release and pkgver suffix 
  pkgname="${pkgname}${_pkgversuf}${_kerncust}"

It is correct in the first version of the PKGBUILD in this thread (which i have kept updating) and in the wiki but not in the most recent PKGBUILD post - sincere apologies!

I'll triple check everything and fix it all tomorrow!  Sorry! But the wiki one should work fine - i think it is just that missing line!

.:EDIT:. It was just that missing line in the one place - the wiki and the 1st version of teh build in this thread were correct - sorry you had that trouble  :oops:

#28 2005-02-22 12:15:50

tomk
Forum Fellow

Thanks again, dibble - not just for the fix, but for confirming that it wasn't me (for once)!

#29 2005-02-23 02:30:30

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

's ok - sorry it happpened in the first place - you shouldn't have lost anything tho?  Did you keep your original kernel pkg, it might still be in /var/cache/pacman/pkgs?

#30 2005-02-23 10:21:47

tomk
Forum Fellow

No - didn't lose a thing. Reinstalled the original package, and everything was back to normal.

I think my posts would have been a little more "hardcore" if my system had been hosed........ lol

#31 2005-02-24 08:56:12

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ah - you couldn't have hosed your system, it'd have been fine smile

Let me know if you sucessfully build unique pkgs now smile

#32 2005-02-24 17:27:55

falmarian

This is a pretty slick project man
I'm highly impressed!
I wish I used a patched kernel, I'd test it out for you
alas, I use vanilla sources.
well
right now I'm using arch sources, but I'll probly go back to vanilla sources before very long.

Those who would surrender a little freedom for the false sense of security deserve neither freedom nor security.
- Benjamin Franklin

Therefore

Give me Liberty, or give me death.

- Patrick Henry
falmarian-at-falmarian-dot-us

#33 2005-02-25 09:54:14

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

it's getting much better too - i just rewrote the splash rc.d script - still has the old probs but it is much less buggy

#34 2005-03-14 00:54:29

Mith

I got a problem.
I used the pkgbuild from the wiki for the custom kernel compilation.. with kernel 2.6.10 it was flawless and I had no problems patching the kernel and creating a package. However with kernel 2.6.11.3 I can't seem to get it done.. I tried the PKGBUILD with the nitro1 and cko2 patchset and both times the makepkg process aborts with

==> ERROR: Build Failed.  Aborting...

after the patching..
Applying the patch manually works .. I actually don't think it's a problem with patching.. I am quite sure the patching is finished without a problem, however I don't know what exactly breaks afterwards.. any ideas?

ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

#35 2005-03-14 09:11:25

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

dude - you can't honestly expect me to help with that info do you?

That build failed is a message from makepkg - there must be more information, check what else it tells you.

I have successfully compiled cko1 and cko2 so there is nothing wrong with the PKGBUILD afaik although neither of the kernels worked smile

#36 2005-03-14 19:55:12

Mith

dibblethewrecker wrote:

dude - you can't honestly expect me to help with that info do you?

That build failed is a message from makepkg - there must be more information, check what else it tells you.

I have successfully compiled cko1 and cko2 so there is nothing wrong with the PKGBUILD afaik although neither of the kernels worked smile

^^
well I can't expect YOU to help me but you know.. when you see no light you throw the question and hope someone might help you out.
Anyway,
ok so it's a makepkg problem. However there is no error message. Maybe the PKGBUILD swallows something.. if there was an error message I might have been able to work around it or give more information here.. there just was none.. oh well..

#37 2005-03-15 04:47:48

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

mith - nah, that doesn't seem possible - the pkgbuild doesn't do anything different to any other pkgbuild with regard to makepkg - it passes makepkg a build function - something in that build functions is returning an error.

The most common ones for me are patch already extracted or a patch fail.

When did the error occur?  Did you get to the config stage?  Had the make started?

#38 2005-03-15 05:07:49

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

This pkgbuild is UNTESTED with 2.6.x.y branches - it should work but you will get odd names with periods (.) in them - therefore i don't recommend it, i'll work on support for that ASAP.

Suggestions welcome

# Get the pkgver suffix for unique pkgname and /boot file suffices 
  _pkgversuf="`echo $pkgver | sed "s|2.6.||g"`"

With 2.6.11 this will return 11.  With 2.6.11.3 this will return 11.3 - which is bad.

This should fix it - this is UNTESTED -

_pkgversuf="`echo $_pkgversuf | sed "s|.||g"`"

#39 2005-03-17 08:27:23

tomk
Forum Fellow

dibblethewrecker wrote:

Just tried that, dibble, with the 2.6.11.4 source - here's what I got:

Package Name:

kernel26.4.i5ka.20050317-2.6.11.4-1.pkg.tar.gz

(LOCALVERSION=i5ka.20050317)

$startdir/pkg/boot:

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 872K 2005-03-17 01:09 System.map26.4.i5ka.20050317
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  30K 2005-03-17 01:09 kconfig26.4.i5ka.20050317
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1.7M 2005-03-17 01:09 vmlinuz26.4.i5ka.20050317

$startdir/pkg/lib/modules:

drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4.0K 2005-03-17 01:09 2.6.11.4.i5ka.20050317

$startdir/pkg/usr/src:

drwxr-xr-x  15 root root 4.0K 2005-03-17 01:10 linux-2.6.11.4.4.i5ka.20050317

I won't be installing the package, but I hope this info is of use to you.

#40 2005-03-17 15:44:20

lilsirecho
Veteran

Please change the statement in the wiki:

.......              Install the package as normal...

Your descriptive style is broken when you use such non-instructions.

This statement should be as detailed as the rest of the wiki.  After all, it is the culminator!!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#41 2005-03-17 17:13:47

lilsirecho
Veteran

Another point of being consistent is the statement;

.....Run makepkg to start the build....

It probably should read....Start the build with...makepkg PKGBUILD..

This detail is consistent with other details gicen in the wiki.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#42 2005-03-17 17:18:26

lilsirecho
Veteran

The following is my experience with ABS=======================================Entered ABS and received all kernels in /var/abs/kernels.

Moved kernel26 to /var/abs/local/custom.

Used Kwrite to modify config file in custom.

Used Kwrite to modify PKGBUILD (make xconfig)

Performed; makepkg PKGBUILD ...in custom

Received downloaded error messages stating ...config... not verified

acpi.....................diff.bz2............. not verified

Pkg not created..

What procedure will permit me to change the kernel config via ABS?
  tomk
Power User

Post  Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote   
  This one.
  lilsirecho
Linux Addict

Post  Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote   Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
  tomk;

The ABS procedure has been modified again! I used it about three weeks ago and tried it in the same manner yesterday and it failed as described.

Wiki in hawaiian means quick.

The change of a single entry in kernel config does not fit the term wiki.

I am not sure what I should do to fix my PKGBUILD since I don't need patches and the kernel version can remain the same, just one entry in config is changed. The wiki gets more confusing with each parsing!!

The wiki seems to be oriented for patch insertion and rebuilds of kernel configs of large proportions.

Do I need the EXTRAVERSION or LOCALVERSION info to change one entry in config?

I have the config in the PKGBUILD file and it was used to attempt the PKGBUILD.

Previously, the Md5 entry could be ignored. Is that no longer the case?

Suppose I edit the kernel config in /boot to change the single item =y. Will the house of cards come tumbling down?

I suggested the kernel enable of cramfs in a post. Not accepted.

What is essential amid all the verbosity in the wiki to allow a single item change in the kernel config?

Most changes are minor, just enable a config item module or kernel item=y.

#43 2005-03-18 05:01:47

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Sorry mate but I have no clue what you are talking about!  This is a PKGBUILD - which is parsed and used by makepkg.  It has nothing to do with your config.  Your config is your business.

What is essential amid all the verbosity in the wiki to allow a single item change in the kernel config?

It clearly states that the wiki is not about how to this

Have you even read the makepkg tutorial on the wiki as i have clearly stated you should?  The reason you can't build the package is because you have changed your config and thus the md5sum has changed.

The wiki related to this thread is for people who know how to use makepkg to build kernels, not too teach you how to use makepkg.

Please change the statement in the wiki:

....... Install the package as normal...

Your descriptive style is broken when you use such non-instructions.

This statement should be as detailed as the rest of the wiki. After all, it is the culminator!!

erm...no because if you can't do this step simply without instructions you need to take step back and do some more reading on the basics.

Another point of being consistent is the statement;

.....Run makepkg to start the build....

It probably should read....Start the build with...makepkg PKGBUILD..

this is entirely unnecessary - makepkg is fine

#44 2005-03-18 05:06:19

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

tomk - that's a bit odd.

at the top of the PKGBUILD what is pkgver= set to?  2.6.11.4 I asssume?

#45 2005-03-18 05:45:48

lilsirecho
Veteran

PKGBUILD is to use to build pkgs....

I wish to build a pkg....the pkg I wish to build is a Kernel pkg....a special pkg. but a pkg nonetheless.

In building the Kernel pkg. a config file is required to provide one of the items generated by the ABS download into /var/abs/kernels.  The config file thus provided for the selected Kernel can be edited to reflect the desired config.  This kernel file is entered into /var/abs/local/custom to keep all pertinent items in the same directory.

The MD5 sum in previous PKGBUILD listings could be commented out when generating a modified-custom Kernel.  I do not know if this is allowed now or not.

Since my needs are to change the enable for one item in the kernel config, it seems a simple matter to edit the PKGBUILD , comment out MD5 sum, change the listing in PKGBUILD to makexconfig.  Then utilize the edited config file within the same directory to act as the config for PKGBUILD.

The next step is to ....makpkg  PKGBUILD ...while in the directory. 

At this point..I regress to the new ABS PKGBUILD which differs a lot from previous uses I have made for it in changing Kernel parameters.

I do not know which of the new changes are mandatory and which can be commented out since I did not write the PKGBUILD program.  I do know that the last time I ran the kernel pkg through ABS I had to include everything within the Kernel26 directory downloaded with ABS or the upgrade would fail.  The wiki described only the requirements for PKGBUILD and the config and said nothing about the remaining downloaded items.

The latest PKGBUILD includes patches that I am not in need of to get my Kernel changed by one single entry.....cramfs=y..

Perhaps this explanation will help you to understand that this is a Kernel change and the Kernel is a package and I used to be able to use ABS to upgrade it.

I have no idea what is meant by the terms EXTRASERVICE and LOCALSERVICE.

I do know I have upgraded my Kernels before using ABS.

How is it to be done now?  ABS downloads the kernels into /var/abs/kernels as always.

Much of the procedure given for the package build seems unnecessary for the Kernel upgrade pkg purpose.

I am not unschooled in doing this Kernel change, I have done it 7 times but not with the latest PKGBUILD.

I cannot find a way to beat the system by reading old material in the face of a new way to do PKGBUILD.

A noobie is an expert trying out the "latest" PKGBUILD without prior knowledge of what can be deleted.

#46 2005-03-18 10:54:04

tomk
Forum Fellow

dibblethewrecker wrote:

tomk - that's a bit odd.

at the top of the PKGBUILD what is pkgver= set to?  2.6.11.4 I asssume?

Yep - just checked again to make sure.

#47 2005-03-18 19:49:56

Mith

dibblethewrecker wrote:

With 2.6.11 this will return 11.  With 2.6.11.3 this will return 11.3 - which is bad.

hey dibble,
I guess you figured it out by now but I just thought I'd mention it

sed "s|.||g"

makes all characters blank. I think you wanted to get rid of the "." so it should be

sed "s|.||g"

I still don't get why makepkg breaks after applying the patch when I use a PKGBUILD with the 2.6.11.4 kernel and nitro1 patch.. patching by hand as I said returns no error..

ps:
~~~
compiling the normal kernel works.. this what comes out of it

package name
kernel26114.4-arch-2.6.11.4-2.pkg.tar.gz
```````
boot/System.map26114.4-arch
boot/kconfig26114.4-arch
boot/vmlinuz26114.4-arch

#48 2005-03-19 10:27:54

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ah - yeah, nice one.  Well done, mith big_smile

let it be here for all to see that I am no expert and never professed to be!  actually it's not quite right yet cos it should just be 26114-arch not 26114.4-arch

right - mith:

do you even get to the config stage? or does it fail before that?  if so post all the output from such a fail please

#49 2005-03-19 10:35:40

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

lilsirecho

this is a special PKGBUILD for building custom kernels with quite a useful facility for patchsets, it has nothing to do with stock ARCH kernel

it has been designed to allow you to produce multiple builds of pretty much the same kernel.

As i understand what you have said you want rebuild the stock kernel but with a new config - you don't need or apparently even want to use the PKGBUILD we are discussing.

Apparently, your builds have failed becasue your config failed the md5sum check but you are also having issues with downloading some patches that the stock kernel uses.

To complete your build simply copy the /var/abs/kernels/kernel26 folder to /var/abs/local.  You enter that dir and you edit the config to your liking, I suggest you also change LOCALVERSION.  Then edit the PKGBUILD and delete the md5sums info and remove any patches you don't want to use from the source array.  Next run this from /var/abs/local/kernel26

makepkg -g >>PKGBUILD

then run

makepkg

Now go and read the documents about makepkg and stop wasting my time, please.  You clearly don't know how PKGBUILDs or makepkg work.  Your issues have nothing do with this thread.

I would imagine a person with 900+ posts would be able to read the documentation that Arch provides - i have no idea what your problem is in this regard, i am utterly confused.

Sorry for being rude - i can see you have made simple mistake and become confused but your agressive manner towards my unrealted work is annoying.  i hope i have helped with your unrelated issue

#50 2005-03-19 17:16:23

Mith

dibblethewrecker wrote:

ah - yeah, nice one.  Well done, mith big_smile

let it be here for all to see that I am no expert and never professed to be!  actually it's not quite right yet cos it should just be 26114-arch not 26114.4-arch

right - mith:

do you even get to the config stage? or does it fail before that?  if so post all the output from such a fail please

hey dibble,
I copied the output of the makepkg command in the output.txt .. as you can see I am not getting to the config stage.. and it crashes right after patching.. I am guessing now that I see those couple of hung errors that that is the mistake?

http://www.metawire.org/~mith/output.txt
and here's the PKGBUILD..
http://metawire.org/~mith/PKGBUILD

Board footer