You are not logged in.

#426 2010-07-26 16:44:26

hut
Website

Re: Ranger, a textbased filemanager

If there are more ctrl-keys that don't work, like ^H, because they are mapped differently, I'd better like to know big_smile

Last edited by hut (2010-07-26 17:23:30)

"hut_" or "h00th00t" in irc.freenode.net #archlinux
Ranger Mailing List: https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/ranger-users

#427 2010-07-26 20:51:40

slumslayer

hut wrote:

May I ask one of you guys to report any other ctrl key (^A..^Z excluding special keys like ^C) for which the script prints a number over 26?

Other keys are always between 1 and 26 here. And ^H is indeed backspace, pressing it do the same as backspace in urxvt.

#428 2010-07-27 12:45:22

hut
Website

thanks ^^

#429 2010-07-27 17:02:33

blodorn

Is there a way to get it to display as ranger in the tmux bar instead of displaying as python?

#430 2010-07-28 11:45:02

hut
Website

Yeah there is:
ln -s /usr/bin/python ~/ranger

Then, start ranger with:
~/ranger /usr/bin/ranger

#431 2010-07-28 13:11:27

firecat53
Website

Or you can start ranger automatically and name it when you start tmux  by adding (for example) in your tmux.conf:

new -d -s server -nMutt 'exec mutt'
neww -d -nranger 'exec ranger'

Scott

#432 2010-07-28 22:17:23

blodorn

Thanks to both of you.

#433 2010-08-02 06:18:08

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Wow! You have done such an amazing job with this file manager! Really impressed! smile

#434 2010-08-04 18:27:12

F4eedu

Ranger is my favourite file manager. Big thanks for contributors.

#435 2010-08-05 00:14:07

72linus
Website

I made a Desktop Application file for my Slackware Ranger

/usr/share/applications/ranger.desktop

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Ranger CLI File Manager
Categories=System;Utility;Core;GTK;
Exec=xterm -e /usr/bin/ranger
Icon=apple-green
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
Terminal=false
MimeType=x-directory/normal;inode/directory;
GenericName=File Manager
GenericName[ru]=Файловый менеджер
GenericName[zh_TW]=檔案管理程式
GenericName[fi]=Tiedostonhallinta
GenericName[et]=Failihaldur
GenericName[ja]=ファイルマネージャ
Comment=Browse the file system and manage the files
Comment[zh_TW]=瀏覽檔案系統及管理檔案
Comment[fi]=Selaa tiedostojärjestelmää ja hallitse tiedostoja
Comment[et]=Lehitse failisüsteemi ja halda faile
Comment[ja]=ファイルシステムをブラウズし、ファイルの管理を行います
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heres the Slackware pkg I made of Ranger; it's awesome

http://multidistro.com/downloads/Apps/slackpkgs.html

#436 2010-08-06 00:35:07

Army

hut wrote:
Army wrote:

I'd like to have 3gp files played by mplayer just like avi, mkv etc. Where's this file list which I have 3gp to add to?
[edit] Just found it out, added it to /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ranger/data/mime.types (I tried it with ~/.mime.types, which didn't work...)

Hi army.

It's weird that ~/.mime.types didn't work. I'll investigate.

Any progress with this?

#437 2010-08-08 09:06:03

jsgt

Great program, I've started using this instead of vifm.

I think a time threshold for loading directory content would be nice. For example, if there is a list of directories a, b, c, cursor at a and I want to get to c, Ranger loads the content of b even though the cursor is only on it for maybe 100 milliseconds. It would be nice if it waited for maybe 200 ms (or configurable) before loading.

#438 2010-08-08 16:34:01

kelnoky

I hope this hasn't already been asked, but I didn't want to read 18 pages. big_smile

First of all, awesome FM!
Now, if I want to open a terminal in the current directory, I would press "S", however this just kinda quits ranger and brings me back to me terminal. Which of course let's me do what I wanted to do, but when I start ranger again after that I lost my tabs and all, even though I am still in the directory I was in. Can't I somehow spawn an external terminal on a shortcut?

#439 2010-08-08 17:35:53

Army

just type "exit" and you'll be back in ranger just the way it was before

#440 2010-08-08 19:04:24

kelnoky

Hah, of course! Thanks. big_smile

#441 2010-08-12 22:26:03

hut
Website

Army wrote:
hut wrote:
Army wrote:

I'd like to have 3gp files played by mplayer just like avi, mkv etc. Where's this file list which I have 3gp to add to?
[edit] Just found it out, added it to /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/ranger/data/mime.types (I tried it with ~/.mime.types, which didn't work...)

Hi army.

It's weird that ~/.mime.types didn't work. I'll investigate.

Any progress with this?

Thanks for reminding me. And yes there is: It turns out that the python mimetypes module doesn't read ~/.mime.types by default, so I manually added it.

jsgt wrote:

I think a time threshold for loading directory content would be nice. For example, if there is a list of directories a, b, c, cursor at a and I want to get to c, Ranger loads the content of b even though the cursor is only on it for maybe 100 milliseconds. It would be nice if it waited for maybe 200 ms (or configurable) before loading.

That sounds reasonable. I'm not working much on ranger atm. so perhaps I'll implement it some time in the future.
If this behaviour annoys you, here is a quick and dirty fix: http://pastebin.org/476747 , It stops all "old" directory loading processes when a new one is added. (apply with cd /path/to/ranger; patch -p1 < /path/to/patch). You can also type 2j to skip a directory

#442 2010-08-13 00:07:40

hut
Website

blodorn wrote:

I just want to thank you for ranger and i look forward to slim ranger very much.

I renamed it from "slim ranger" to "pithy" so it's not going to be confused with the original ranger. Pithy works already, but there's no documentation yet, so let me give a little introduction:

Some words of warning though: I don't have time to continue working on it at the moment. So I'm posting this just to make it available to those who are interested in it, not necessarily because I think it should be used yet.

Pithy is not started by executing a file but by executing a bash/zsh function. First you need to source either bash_integration.sh or zsh_integration.zsh, depending on your shell. Either file take the command to run the program as an argument, which is a simple "/path/to/pithy.py" in most cases but can be as complex as python2.6 "/path/to/pithy.py" --option1 .... So, the full line looks like:
source /path/to/bash_integration.py /path/to/pithy.py
It defines the function bash_pithy or zsh_pithy and the hotkey CTRL+O for quickly starting it. Read the *_integration-file for details.

The configuration file is about 300 lines long and you may want to skim through it to grasp the concept and the control keys. It is located at pithy/data/settings.py and can be copied to ~/.config/pithy/rc.py for customization. The settings file is executable python code which is run on initialization. First the default settings.py, then the custom rc.py. To ignore the default settings, use the option --no-defaults.
To run files, you have to set up a file launcher. Try http://xyne.archlinux.ca/projects/mimeo/

echo 'FILE_LAUNCHER = "mimeo %f"' >> ~/.config/pithy/rc.py

The interface is much like in ranger. Main differences as of now: No automatic synchronization with the FS, type "r" to update the view. No parallel loading either, the unicode support is limited and there is no console, just very simple prompts.
Bookmarks are implemented using the file system. Type m<name><ENTER> to create a link at $confdir/bookmarks/<name>, then type ` or ' to go there and pick a directory.
Instead of the console, use the shell. Quitting and restarting pithy will restore almost the same state (which you can reset with pithy --reset.) The variable $f contains the current filename. You need to use "$f" in bash if the filename contains spaces. The command sel runs xargs with the selected files as arguments. For example, type sel echo to display all selected files or sel mv -t /some/directory to move all selected files to /some/directory. Files are selected with SPACE or v and unselected with V. In contrast to ranger, the selection is global.

To install and run:

git clone http://git.sv.gnu.org/r/ranger.git pithy
cd pithy
git checkout slim
source bash_integration.sh /path/to/pithy.py # if you use zsh, source zsh_integration.zsh instead

And start pithy with ctrl+O.
(Note: There's a little bug with the bash-version: when exiting pithy, the directory is changed but the old one is still displayed in the prompt. I don't know how to make bash update it. Pressing ENTER fixes it though.)

I guess thats about it. Feel free to ask your questions

#443 2010-08-16 09:01:47

kosmiciatakuja

Hey, great job! I was just looking for something like this and I absolutely LOVE ranger! Good bye mc big_smile

Thank you very much for your effort and to all the contributors too!

#444 2010-08-17 00:15:30

k.mandla
Website

Linux user No. 409907

#445 2010-08-17 23:59:11

invalido

Love this filemanager! Just moved from vifm to ranger, trying to figure out how to make a command that opens up txt files in geany.
Right now I have vim as my main editor, but i'd like to have geany as an option.
Its probably easly configured but since I've never done anything in python I find it confusing.
Could someone help me out?

#446 2010-08-18 00:06:43

splittercode

@invalido

Just select the file, hit 'r' and type geany.

#447 2010-08-18 10:05:46

invalido

splittercode wrote:

@invalido

Sweet! Just what I was looking for. Dunno how i missed that in the first place.

#448 2010-08-23 09:25:40

jsgt

hut wrote:
jsgt wrote:

That sounds reasonable. I'm not working much on ranger atm. so perhaps I'll implement it some time in the future.
If this behaviour annoys you, here is a quick and dirty fix: http://pastebin.org/476747 , It stops all "old" directory loading processes when a new one is added. (apply with cd /path/to/ranger; patch -p1 < /path/to/patch). You can also type 2j to skip a directory

Your patch didn't seem to really change the observed behavior much, but thanks anyway. I didn't know about the nj command, good tip!

#449 2010-08-24 13:28:38

archman-cro
Website

invalido wrote:
splittercode wrote:

@invalido

Is there a possibility running external apps with "r", but having the same usable instance of ranger at the time when the external app (which is opened in ranger) is opened and in use, so I can still browse the files with ranger while the ext app is running?

Btw, that one's a very fast and nice file manager! Thanks!

#450 2010-08-24 13:33:04

hut
Website

archman-cro wrote:
invalido wrote:
splittercode wrote:

@invalido

Is there a possibility running external apps with "r", but having the same usable instance of ranger at the time when the external app (which is opened in ranger) is opened and in use, so I can still browse the files with ranger while the ext app is running?

Btw, that one's a very fast and nice file manager! Thanks!

Perhaps you're looking for the detach-flag.
try "open with: d" or "open with: myprogram d" to run it detached from ranger

(It's documented in chapters 2.2 and 2.5, type "2?" in ranger)

Last edited by hut (2010-08-24 13:35:05)

Board footer