You are not logged in.

#126 2010-03-30 14:42:39

hut
Website

Re: Ranger, a textbased filemanager

litemotiv wrote:

here's a thought; if you make Ranger a client-server model (with a daemon), would it be possible to run several instances and yank-paste from one instance to the other? smile

edit: oh wait, this already seems to work tongue

edit 2: oh no it doesn't, my mistake

with a bit of hacking, you can make it work =p

"hut_" or "h00th00t" in irc.freenode.net #archlinux
Ranger Mailing List: https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/ranger-users

#127 2010-03-31 10:22:08

erno

I think draw_borders just broke.

#128 2010-03-31 12:26:01

hut
Website

erno wrote:

I think draw_borders just broke.

I think I just fixed it.

#129 2010-04-01 20:06:28

JohannesSM64
Website

How do I show dotfiles? I really can't figure out..
:filter doesn't seem to work

Last edited by JohannesSM64 (2010-04-01 20:08:24)

#130 2010-04-01 21:14:33

GGLucas

You can toggle show_hidden with "bh".

#131 2010-04-01 21:34:49

JohannesSM64
Website

Thanks.

#132 2010-04-01 23:00:15

igor_b

you did a nice work with ranger!
just a question: would it be hard to add support for tabs? it would be a great feature.

Last edited by igor_b (2010-04-01 23:03:13)

#133 2010-04-02 00:05:07

JohannesSM64
Website

Please don't set so many mplayer options by default. It is up to the user to set desired options in .mplayer/config.

Last edited by JohannesSM64 (2010-04-02 00:05:21)

#134 2010-04-02 02:00:40

GGLucas

The only option ranger sets by default for mplayer is -fs/"fullscreen", which you can avoid by pressing "1l" instead of "l" to open it. The only modes that set a lot of options are 2 and 3 which are just convenience modes.

But yeah, I would suggest for the default and mode 1 to be switched. If you want it to start fullscreen by default you put it in .mplayer/config.

Last edited by GGLucas (2010-04-02 02:01:54)

#135 2010-04-02 05:20:25

hut
Website

GGLucas wrote:

You can toggle show_hidden with "bh".

in recent versions it's changed to "zh" though.

The "b" key for options was randomly picked. "z" is more appropriate for changing options, since it is similarly used in other programs: Vim uses it for folding settings, vimperator for changing zoom settings.

igor_b wrote:

you did a nice work with ranger!
just a question: would it be hard to add support for tabs? it would be a great feature.

I miss tabs too. Let's see what I can do. Maybe write some nice key bindings which use bookmarks to simulate tabs.

GGLucas wrote:

The only option ranger sets by default for mplayer is -fs/"fullscreen", which you can avoid by pressing "1l" instead of "l" to open it. The only modes that set a lot of options are 2 and 3 which are just convenience modes.

But yeah, I would suggest for the default and mode 1 to be switched. If you want it to start fullscreen by default you put it in .mplayer/config.

I agree.

#136 2010-04-03 22:45:14

JohannesSM64
Website

Ranger freezes when attempting to put the cursor on a fifo pipe. It also doesn't color them correctly (orange)

Last edited by JohannesSM64 (2010-04-03 22:52:40)

#137 2010-04-03 23:10:15

hut
Website

JohannesSM64 wrote:

Ranger freezes when attempting to put the cursor on a fifo pipe. It also doesn't color them correctly (orange)

Not anymore. Thanks again.

#138 2010-04-03 23:47:12

JohannesSM64
Website

Thanks for the fix, but you still don't have the colors right. fifos should be yellow/orange and sockets should be magenta.

#139 2010-04-03 23:48:58

aeosynth
Website

The man page doesn't describe which settings can be changed with 'zX', and I'm not sure what collapse_preview is supposed to do.

[request] I don't know if collapse_preview is supposed to do this already, but I'd like an option to just show two columns - the current directory and the preview pane. Ranger is awesome at navigating the filesystem, but once I've reached my destination, my focus switches from the filesystem to the contents of the files.

#140 2010-04-04 11:05:17

hut
Website

aeosynth wrote:

The man page doesn't describe which settings can be changed with 'zX', and I'm not sure what collapse_preview is supposed to do.

[request] I don't know if collapse_preview is supposed to do this already, but I'd like an option to just show two columns - the current directory and the preview pane. Ranger is awesome at navigating the filesystem, but once I've reached my destination, my focus switches from the filesystem to the contents of the files.

It would be too much work to document every detail in the man page, considering that the program is still developing and I would have to constantly update the documentation. You can always take a look at the config file.

"collapse_preview = True" will collapse (shrink) the preview column when there is no preview, so the space is used more efficiently.

About your feature request: There is a constant called RATIO in ranger/gui/defaultui.py which determines the number and the relative width of columns. At the moment, it's not (comfortably) changable on the fly, but I'll improve that. Thanks for the idea

Last edited by hut (2010-04-04 17:15:30)

#141 2010-04-04 13:46:55

q0tsa

First, I wanna say thank you for this awesome filemanager.

There's one thing I miss, vim's visual mode. I would really like to be able to start visual mode with lets say 'V', then mark several files with movement commands. (e.g. everything from the current to the last file in the directory with 'VG') Another idea would be to somehow adapt vim's '{' and '}' keys to ranger. A possibility would be to jump to the first file (to select all directories) or the jump to the first non-dot file (to select all "hidden" files).

#142 2010-04-04 18:35:45

hut
Website

aeosynth wrote:

Okay, it's implemented. There is no hotkey by default, so add something like this in your ~/.ranger/keys.py (in the function "initialize_commands")

map('x', fm.set_option('column_ratios', [5, 3]))        #show only 2 columns.
map('X', fm.set_option('column_ratios', [1, 1, 4, 3]))  #back to default
q0tsa wrote:

First, I wanna say thank you for this awesome filemanager.

Thanks smile

q0tsa wrote:

There's one thing I miss, vim's visual mode. I would really like to be able to start visual mode with lets say 'V', then mark several files with movement commands. (e.g. everything from the current to the last file in the directory with 'VG') Another idea would be to somehow adapt vim's '{' and '}' keys to ranger. A possibility would be to jump to the first file (to select all directories) or the jump to the first non-dot file (to select all "hidden" files).

I'll think about how to do those things. Such a 'V' key could be easily implemented with the new key parser I'm working on.

#143 2010-04-04 21:17:51

aeosynth
Website

hut wrote:

Okay, it's implemented.

Nice, that was pretty fast smile. I'm using [1, 3] to give the preview pane the most area while keeping the filesystem column readable. I hope I'm not asking for too much, but I now have a couple more requests:

upgrade the function to let me toggle the new/default ratio with the same key
an option to disable the filesize display

[bugs]
"/home/yourname" isn't replaced with "~" anymore.

I get artifacts in the preview pane when I use [1, 5], they disappear when I move the cursor and change the preview.

#144 2010-04-04 21:56:34

hut
Website

JohannesSM64 wrote:

Thanks for the fix, but you still don't have the colors right. fifos should be yellow/orange and sockets should be magenta.

Yep. I didn't think of it since I work very little with sockets and fifos. Thanks for pointing it out.

aeosynth wrote:
hut wrote:

Okay, it's implemented.

Nice, that was pretty fast smile. I'm using [1, 3] to give the preview pane the most area while keeping the filesystem column readable. I hope I'm not asking for too much, but I now have a couple more requests:

upgrade the function to let me toggle the new/default ratio with the same key
an option to disable the filesize display

[bugs]
"/home/yourname" isn't replaced with "~" anymore.

I get artifacts in the preview pane when I use [1, 5], they disappear when I move the cursor and change the preview.

The title bug is fixed.

> upgrade the function to let me toggle the new/default ratio with the same key
That would be up to you to implement. It's trivial:

states = [(1, 5), (1, 1, 4, 3)]
def toggle(arg):
    settings = arg.fm.settings
    current = states.index(settings.column_ratios)
    settings.column_ratios = states[(current + 1) % len(states)]
    if len(settings.column_ratios) == 2:  # hide filesize if there are only 2 columns:
        settings.display_size_in_main_column = False
map('x', toggle)

> an option to disable the filesize display
added

> I get artifacts in the preview pane when I use [1, 5], they disappear when I move the cursor and change the preview.
fixed

Edit:
everything should be resolved.

Last edited by hut (2010-04-04 22:37:56)

#145 2010-04-04 22:44:53

yvonney

Absolutely floored at how in 1 day I have read the help [pressing: 1? 2? 3? 4?] and moved miles ahead with CLI file management.
I've worked plenty on getting, mostly mc and vifm to increase workflow over GUI FMs. currently xfe though occasionally rox. pcmanfm no longer at all as it needs fam I believe.

I do not have the skill that many of the gurus here have though I believe in my determination and intuition based on results.

I'm saying, respectfully, that due to my relief and gratitude upon finding RANGER I did read most of the posts and .... respectfully mind you: I got a wee bit 'wondering' about how what seems almost perfect might get mangled or loose dev energy through cramming in features.
READ: API idea good?

Please forgive as it is mostly one part ignorance and one part love of RANGER that compels me to think that the API idea would be logical [don't know if core would be majorly affected by an API though] so that plugins could be added instead of  cramming requests for feature in. I may be totally inaccurate about dev's loosing drive from being pulled all over of course. Everyone's a bit unique on what works for them, so who knows!

Due to how RANGER has changed me over-night I have so much appreciation for this being given to us to use. And people are contributing too I understand.  I'd like to write the above better, though won't.:)

So the above simply means: hut's vision (and contribs) works for me as is.
thanks and best wishes for a steady course to all.

Last edited by yvonney (2010-04-05 00:51:47)

#146 2010-04-04 23:08:19

hut
Website

yvonney wrote:

Absolutely floored at how in 1 day I have read the help [pressing: 1? 2? 3? 4?] and moved miles ahead with CLI file management and I've worked plenty on getting mc or vifm etc. to do the biz.

I do not have the skill that many of the gurus here have though I believe in my determination and intuition based on results.

I'm saying, respectfully, that due to my relief and gratitude upon finding RANGER I did read most of the post and .... respectfully mind you: I got a wee bit 'wondering' about how what seems almost perfect might get mangled or loose dev energy through cramming in features.
READ: API idea good?

Please forgive as it is mostly one part ignorance and one part love of RANGER that compels me to think that the API idea would be logical so that plugins could be added instead of  cramming requests for feature in. I may be totally inaccurate about dev's loosing drive from being pulled all over of course. Everyone's a bit unique on what works for them, so who knows!

Due to how RANGER has changed me over-night I have so much appreciation for this being given to us to use. And people are contributing too I understand.  I'd like to write the above better, though won't.:)

So the above simply means: hut's vision (and contribs) works for me as is.
thanks and best wishes for a steady course to all.

Thank you very much.

About the API:
To get a nice plugin system I'd have to rewrite half of the code and give it a lot of thought so I don't screw it all up. I started working on it, but it will take a while until I complete it. I'm afraid though that it'll blow up ranger and make it too complex. I could instead spend the time to make rangers code more simple and robust. Rather than using plugins, one could edit the source code, make an own GIT branch, apply patches, etc. since Python is an easy language and GIT makes it easy to maintain an own, custom fork. But then again, thats probably still too inconvenient for most people.

Anyway, I decided to wait a while, learn new things and think it through before I make major changes.

Last edited by hut (2010-04-04 23:09:14)

#147 2010-04-04 23:17:18

yvonney

HUT!  my post I had to make as really really, finding RANGER has changed everything.
After 2 years of back and forth I am genuinely FLYING now. OK, I'll say what I'm really thinking simply.
It's TOTALLY LOVEABLE AWESOME RIGHT NOW...  Little tweaks don't make me nervous.
big changes do,  cause >> life's a busy thing. um, I could go on. 

We should send you (and a friend if you like:) on a 2 week vacation/holiday::: 
um, mainly so that RANGER's core can just um, hang out without being patched and prodded for a bit.
errr, and of course to express appreciation, uhhhh... 'cause you didn't have to.

um, respect to all ..... as being expert takes making a lotta misteakes and errors.

OH...read you post above slowly, calmly.
Yes yes yes, 'time' 'learn' 'thinking' wonderful, agreed.

ONLY mentioned API in case it was way better than adding features right into RANGER
though certainly have little real knowledge about APIs. Now I understand a bit better, thank you.
stormy comment after-thought: "don't need no stinkin' API."  'perhaps'.  (as I've heard said of course) hehehe

UPDATE TO 'getting overexcited' comment from below post.
"ABSOLUTELY!!1" settling down nicely however:) file management is critical. RANGER has done it for me.

Last edited by yvonney (2010-04-05 00:23:46)

#148 2010-04-04 23:25:29

hut
Website

Thanks, I appreciate it. And you're getting overexcited!!1

#149 2010-04-05 01:25:01

aeosynth
Website

Thanks again for the quick response. I still don't get a '~' for '/home/me' . Also, I added an else clause to the toggle function:

states = [(1, 3), (1, 1, 4, 3)]
        def toggle(arg):
            settings = arg.fm.settings
            current = states.index(settings.column_ratios)
            settings.column_ratios = states[(current + 1) % len(states)]
            if len(settings.column_ratios) == 2:  # hide filesize if there are only 2 columns:
                settings.display_size_in_main_column = False
            else:
                settings.display_size_in_main_column = True
        map('x', toggle)

Really loving Ranger, it's turning out pretty slick.

#150 2010-04-05 14:39:55

hut
Website

aeosynth wrote:

Thanks again for the quick response. I still don't get a '~' for '/home/me'

It seems like you're talking about the titlebar. Your home directory is only replaced with '~' in the window title, not the titlebar.

Board footer