You are not logged in.

#1976 2015-06-05 12:22:49

Ambrevar
Website

Re: Ranger, a textbased filemanager

Check the value of 'preview_script' in the settings dump (default key binding is '?s'). Did you copy scope.sh to your ranger config folder?

Last edited by Ambrevar (2015-06-05 13:58:49)

#1977 2015-06-06 09:41:16

Teyras

@Ambrevar: weird, I tried starting ranger again and highlighting works fine (I had scope.sh copied)... Thanks!

#1978 2015-06-24 12:21:47

bartuka

Hello guys, Ranger is just awesome! I've been using it for 3 months already! Thx

I would like to know if we can define the "method 0" to open a file. For example, right now my images are open with  " feh " but I would like to change it to gpicview. I couldn't find any way in the docs.

Thx

Specs: Macbook Pro Mid 2012 + 16GB RAM + 256GB SSD + 512GB HDD
Windows Manager: i3wm
File Manager: Ranger
Web Browser: qutebrowser

#1979 2015-06-24 16:14:46

Miblo
Website

bartuka wrote:

Hello guys, Ranger is just awesome! I've been using it for 3 months already! Thx

I would like to know if we can define the "method 0" to open a file. For example, right now my images are open with  " feh " but I would like to change it to gpicview. I couldn't find any way in the docs.

Thx

Hi bartuka, you'll want to edit "~/.config/ranger/rifle.conf" such that you have a line for gpicview in the "Image Viewing" section similar to the line for feh, making sure that your new line is the first one in the section. The first one ends up being "method 0".

@archun: Intel® Core™ i5-4210M • [GPU] Intel® HD Graphics 4600 • [Kernel] linux-ck-haswell
Handmade.NetworkGitLab
The Life and Times of Miblo del Carpio

#1980 2015-06-24 23:19:02

bartuka

Miblo, thanks for your help. I added the following line:

mime ^image, has gpicview,  X, flag f = gpicview -- "$@"

Worked perfectly. Now I can do the same for other apps. This community is great smile

#1981 2015-07-19 13:21:09

bartuka

Sorry guys, this may be a really newbie question but I've been searching for a while and I couldn't find an answer. I create a keybind to open ranger in my i3wm:

bindsym $mod+space exec /home/username/bin/st -e ranger & exit 

As you can see I am using the st terminal from the suckless.org project. I would like to open tmux as well before ranger. I open the st+tmux in a similar way:

bindsym $mod+space exec st -e tmux

The st terminal for ranger is different because I use one with transparency as default. Can someone help me with this? How to open st + tmux + ranger, I tried to add some connectors like AND or &, but I didn't work.

Thanks guys!

#1982 2015-07-19 13:48:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What is that "& exit" at the end?  Get rid of that.  If you want to start a command in tmux, just check tmux's man page.  Something like st -e tmux -c ranger should do.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#1983 2015-07-19 14:23:18

VanillaFunk
Website

just a heads up ranger running inside tmux cannot ( afaik ) display images with w3m previewing

archx86_64 : awesomewm
https://github.com/dreemsoul

Remeber to feed the squirrels

#1984 2015-07-19 16:17:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

VanillaFunk wrote:

just a heads up ranger running inside tmux cannot ( afaik ) display images with w3m previewing

It certainly can just fine.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#1985 2015-07-19 16:18:31

VanillaFunk
Website

Trilby wrote:
VanillaFunk wrote:

It certainly can just fine.

wow really?  hmmm i must have done something wrong there.

--edit--

hmmm just tested ... i dunno where i got that wrong idea sorry for any missinformation

Last edited by VanillaFunk (2015-07-19 16:19:35)

#1986 2015-07-19 17:01:31

progandy

VanillaFunk wrote:

[...]

VanillaFunk wrote:

hmmm just tested ... i dunno where i got that wrong idea sorry for any missinformation

Maybe you were using termite as your terminal. w3imgdisplay crashes with termite, I don't know why.

Last edited by progandy (2015-07-19 17:03:07)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#1987 2015-07-19 22:57:14

bartuka

Trilby, that "& exit" was wrong... I had an alias in .bashrc where I opened ranger when I typed "ranger" in st terminal and killed the terminal from where the command came from. But, your idea works here. However, if I open a file with vim from this ranger instance, I cannot use the mouse scroll.

If I open ranger from my default terminal where tmux is already running, then any file opened in vim is able to use mouse scroll to roll back and forth the file.
Thx

#1988 2015-08-02 11:50:44

pekka

Normal users works

But,root
ranger preview disabled default
manual zp and previevs works ,text and image
if restart ranger preview is disabled
double check rc.conf "set preview_files true" is right

if change other settings
"set show_hidden false/true"
"set colorscheme default/solarized"
other settings works

Any idea ?

#1989 2015-08-02 14:18:28

VanillaFunk
Website

can you run the copy-config all command as root? i dont use ranger as root and not sure if that would be undesirable or cause issues but i would think it would allow you to set some default config for the root user

--edit--

i am not saying do this might be good to ask someone else or have them chime in on if this is a bad idea

Last edited by VanillaFunk (2015-08-02 14:19:03)

#1990 2015-08-02 14:58:11

pekka

ranger --copy-config=all 
copy normal user .config/ranger to /root/.config/ranger
clear,del /ranger 

preview is disabled,only manual zp works.

#1991 2015-08-04 02:37:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I'm certain this has been brought up before, but can't really recall....

How does everyone use ranger when comparing directories, since switching back and forth between tabs looks... clumsy at best. Having two instances of ranger open in tmux means we lose things like file copy-pasting. Any better ideas?

EDIT: Also, now that I'm poking around with ranger (been using it for more than a year but haven't bothered much with customization) I realize I'm not getting image previews in termite. Seems like it should work nowadays even though it didn't previously, is that the case? Termite + tmux here. I could use st + tmux instead (tested to work) but then I lose powerline sad

EDIT2: Ah I forgot powerline is font dependent, so st works. Will keep it around to see how I like it, but I'm just so used to termite smile not that, as a tmux user, I actually use any of the features though I guess.

EDIT3: Actually now that I'm playing around with it, image previews appear for a few seconds then disappear in tmux in st. Anyone seen that?

EDIT4: Here's a screenshot, problem is most definitely tmux. st alone doesn't have an issue with disappearing images, but in tmux they disappear after a few seconds, and when used on ranger in a horizontal split I get this (yes, that's a screenshot of a screenshot of ranger):-

Screenshot of screenshot

Last edited by ngoonee (2015-08-04 06:04:35)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#1992 2015-08-05 13:59:02

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

ngoonee wrote:

How does everyone use ranger when comparing directories, since switching back and forth between tabs looks... clumsy at best. Having two instances of ranger open in tmux means we lose things like file copy-pasting. Any better ideas?

You can use load/save_copy_buffer as described in the manual.

EDIT: Also, now that I'm poking around with ranger (been using it for more than a year but haven't bothered much with customization) I realize I'm not getting image previews in termite. Seems like it should work nowadays even though it didn't previously, is that the case? Termite + tmux here. I could use st + tmux instead (tested to work) but then I lose powerline sad

Image previews no longer work in termite since real transparency was enabled.

https://github.com/thestinger/termite/issues/199

EDIT3: Actually now that I'm playing around with it, image previews appear for a few seconds then disappear in tmux in st. Anyone seen that?

EDIT4: Here's a screenshot, problem is most definitely tmux. st alone doesn't have an issue with disappearing images, but in tmux they disappear after a few seconds, and when used on ranger in a horizontal split I get this (yes, that's a screenshot of a screenshot of ranger):-

I can't reproduce your issues with tmux, ranger 1.7.1 and xterm. Have you tried with standard configurations?

Last edited by Alad (2015-08-05 14:02:39)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#1993 2015-08-11 01:28:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Alad wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

You can use load/save_copy_buffer as described in the manual.

Looks like that would require me to run it each time I switch. Or probably what you meant was to remap, for example, y-y and related to run save_copy_buffer after the copy, and remap p-p and related to run load_copy_buffer before the paste?

EDIT: Okay I was messing around and got things working on that. Will see how I like running, effectively, 6 columns side by side (thankfully I have a widescreen)! Basically just add load_copy_buffer before every paste and save_copy_buffer before every copy/cut.

map pp chain load_copy_buffer ; paste
map po chain load_copy_buffer ; paste overwrite=True
map pl chain load_copy_buffer ; paste_symlink relative=False
map pL chain load_copy_buffer ; paste_symlink relative=True
map phl chain load_copy_buffer ; paste_hardlink
map pht chain load_copy_buffer ; paste_hardlinked_subtree

map dd chain cut ; save_copy_buffer
map ud chain uncut ; save_copy_buffer
map da chain cut mode=add ; save_copy_buffer
map dr chain cut mode=remove ; save_copy_buffer

map yy chain copy ; save_copy_buffer
map uy chain uncut ; save_copy_buffer
map ya chain copy mode=add ; save_copy_buffer
map yr chain copy mode=remove ; save_copy_buffer

map dgg chain eval fm.cut(dirarg=dict(to=0), narg=quantifier) ; save_copy_buffer
map dG  chain eval fm.cut(dirarg=dict(to=-1), narg=quantifier) ; save_copy_buffer
map dj  chain eval fm.cut(dirarg=dict(down=1), narg=quantifier) ; save_copy_buffer
map dk  chain eval fm.cut(dirarg=dict(up=1), narg=quantifier) ; save_copy_buffer
map ygg chain eval fm.copy(dirarg=dict(to=0), narg=quantifier) ; save_copy_buffer
map yG  chain eval fm.copy(dirarg=dict(to=-1), narg=quantifier) ; save_copy_buffer
map yj  chain eval fm.copy(dirarg=dict(down=1), narg=quantifier) ; save_copy_buffer
map yk  chain eval fm.copy(dirarg=dict(up=1), narg=quantifier) ; save_copy_buffer

This may or may not slow things down a bit. My home directory is on an SSD so I can't tell.

Alad wrote:

Image previews no longer work in termite since real transparency was enabled.

https://github.com/thestinger/termite/issues/199

Yeah I figured that, so I'm now using st.

Alad wrote:

I can't reproduce your issues with tmux, ranger 1.7.1 and xterm. Have you tried with standard configurations?

I absolutely can reproduce that in ranger 1.7.1 with default ranger configurations (except setting image_previews=true) in st and tmux. Up-to-date for everything.

When I switch to xterm (same tmux config), image does not disappear, but it crosses the horizontal split in exactly the same way.

Last edited by ngoonee (2015-08-11 02:22:33)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#1994 2015-08-15 14:09:46

q3cpma

Hello, more (maybe already solved?) urxvt and w3m image preview. I've read on the github that the image preview threading may mitigate this issue.

The said issue: http://104.233.78.12/share/ranger.mkv

#1995 2015-08-15 14:54:34

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

q3cpma wrote:

Hello, more (maybe already solved?) urxvt and w3m image preview. I've read on the github that the image preview threading may mitigate this issue.

You know, I'm not really sure I'd want to be downloading that...

#1996 2015-08-15 14:57:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It certainly doesn't look like something on github to me. q3cpma, can you point us to the original github source that you are referring to?

#1997 2015-08-16 13:16:14

q3cpma

ngoonee wrote:
q3cpma wrote:

Well, I don't know many exploit using an mkv vulnerability.
I was talking about this PR https://github.com/hut/ranger/pull/192

#1998 2015-08-17 01:22:32

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

q3cpma wrote:
ngoonee wrote:
q3cpma wrote:

Well, I don't know many exploit using an mkv vulnerability.
I was talking about this PR https://github.com/hut/ranger/pull/192

Neither do I, but not a chance I'd take, really. Your first post on these forums, newly registered account, and the URL being ip-address... red flags all round smile

That bug report doesn't show 'fixed' as there still seem some (corner?) cases.

#1999 2015-09-30 20:38:57

kozaki
Website

After updating today,

ranger: ImportError: No module named 'ranger'

The error is raised because the package owns files in /usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/ranger, which is not to be found in /usr/lib/             python3.5/site-packages/ranger.

Git version does not have the issue as it created the needed files in python3.5 (as I understand).

ps Is there a tip to launch ranger (from community) anyway? Like back at the Python2.7 » 3 shift we could launch ranger with `python2 /usr/bin/ranger`

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

#2000 2015-09-30 20:46:58

progandy

kozaki wrote:

After updating today,

ranger: ImportError: No module named 'ranger'

The error is raised because the package owns files in /usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/ranger, which is not to be found in /usr/lib/             python3.5/site-packages/ranger.

Git version does not have the issue as it created the needed files in python3.5 (as I understand).

Every version you compile from source should work I think. In the meantime, try to prepend the old location to the python search path.

PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python3.4/site-packages/ ranger

Last edited by progandy (2015-09-30 21:44:33)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer