You are not logged in.

#51 2010-10-08 16:17:42

Erus_Iluvatar
Wiki Admin

Re: screenFetch - The Bash Screenshot Information Tool

I wonder if we can output only some infos, with a bash array or something, i'll try to hack something tonight perhaps.

I'm french, don't mind my mistakes in english.

#52 2010-10-08 16:24:44

igndenok

No problem with 2.1.7
That's fast update big_smile

Ask, and it shall be given you.
Seek, and ye shall find.
Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

#53 2010-10-08 16:43:01

anonymous_user

kittykatt wrote:

Question to all users and non-uses of screenFetch:

Is there a demand for system information in your screenshot?

I've noticed that tools like Archey and screenfo are more in use than screenFetch and that they both output system info like memory, processor usage, packages installed, etc. I never went about integrating stats like that into screenFetch because I thought that theme information about the screenshot ITSELF would be more useful. Was I wrong and are the system stats more in demand than the actual theme information? This question's been dragging at my mind for a while now.

Personally I think just information about the screenshot is useful. Theres always programs like inxi if you want system information.

#54 2010-10-08 17:37:45

kittykatt
Website

Thanks for all of the replies! big_smile

@Erus_Iluvatar:  Actually, in the development version (of which there is only a single copy - mine smile), I'm working with turning the display variable into a Bash array so that you won't have blank lines when you take out something in the middle (i.e. WM Theme). If you do come up with a working or even semi-working solution before I do, feel free to email me or post a patch here. I'll revise it the way I want to and throw it in the code.

I still need to apply the other patches you listed. I'll do so tonight and hopefully also have a Bash array solution by the end of the night as well.

@kmason:  If lsb_release isn't installed, screenFetch looks for the file /etc/issue which usually contains some information on the system. In your average, everyday Arch Linux this file would contain the words "Arch Linux". You might be able to modify that file. Not sure. Let me look into it....Got it!

http://linux.die.net/man/1/lsb_release  <<< Read up on this. Seems the /etc/lsb-release file is key to modifying you lsb_release output. That's only if you want to ship Afterglow with lsb_release. Other than that, I'd look into modifying /etc/issue. Or you could ship it with an extra file and I could write the code to detect Afterglow into screenFetch itself. But I'd prefer you just modify it yourself. wink

@Sector11:  Ya know what? I bet your LSB Release binary is installed as 'lsb-release' and not 'lsb_release'. Can you confirm this? If it's true, I'll write another block identical to the lsb_release block, replacing _ with - for cases like that.

@igndenok::  You think this one was fast? I'll be trimming down a lot in the next release so that install is like *snap*. big_smile

@anonymous_user:  See, that's what I've always thought. But there seems to be a large demand for system stats integrated into your screenshot tool as well. After the next couple of updates, screenFetch will be better than ever. If I'm not seeing more users by then, I'll see what I can do about integrating sys stats and still keeping the current ones.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate hearing from the community about this project. big_smile

- [ My Blog ] | [ AUR Packages ] | [ My deviantART ] | [ screenFetch ] | [ SilverIRC ] -

#55 2010-10-08 17:43:06

anonymous_user

kittykatt wrote:

@Sector11:  Ya know what? I bet your LSB Release binary is installed as 'lsb-release' and not 'lsb_release'. Can you confirm this? If it's true, I'll write another block identical to the lsb_release block, replacing _ with - for cases like that.

If its for Debian, its lsb_release. At least thats what it should be:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/all/ … e/filelist

kittykatt wrote:

@anonymous_user:  See, that's what I've always thought. But there seems to be a large demand for system stats integrated into your screenshot tool as well. After the next couple of updates, screenFetch will be better than ever. If I'm not seeing more users by then, I'll see what I can do about integrating sys stats and still keeping the current ones.

I suppose a flag can be used to show the system info. So by default it won't show, but if do you want it you can have it.

#56 2010-10-08 17:51:39

kmason
Website

kittykatt wrote:

@kmason:  If lsb_release isn't installed, screenFetch looks for the file /etc/issue which usually contains some information on the system. In your average, everyday Arch Linux this file would contain the words "Arch Linux". You might be able to modify that file. Not sure. Let me look into it....Got it!

http://linux.die.net/man/1/lsb_release  <<< Read up on this. Seems the /etc/lsb-release file is key to modifying you lsb_release output. That's only if you want to ship Afterglow with lsb_release. Other than that, I'd look into modifying /etc/issue. Or you could ship it with an extra file and I could write the code to detect Afterglow into screenFetch itself. But I'd prefer you just modify it yourself. wink

Good to know, thanks.  I figured it would be something like /etc/issue that I needed to modify, but I wasn't sure.

#57 2010-10-08 19:17:35

kittykatt
Website

kmason wrote:
kittykatt wrote:

Good to know, thanks.  I figured it would be something like /etc/issue that I needed to modify, but I wasn't sure.

I would personally recommend shipping Afterglow with lsb_release and just modifying the /etc/arch-release file, as that seems the place to do it. I was playing around with stuff a few minutes ago and added "(Meow)" to the end of my /etc/arch-release file and it showed up in the lsb_release output. Here's some examples for further explanation...

Before

[kittykatt@mystra][~]$ cat /etc/arch-release 
Arch Linux release
[kittykatt@mystra][~]$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:    n/a
Distributor ID:    Arch
Description:    Arch Linux
Release:    n/a
Codename:    n/a
[kittykatt@mystra][~]$

After

Arch Linux release (Meow)
Distributor ID:    Arch
Release:    n/a
Codename:    Meow
[kittykatt@mystra][~]$

And if I really wanted to go all out, I could do the following...

Afterglow Linux release 1.4.5 (Meow)
Distributor ID:    Afterglow
Release:    1.4.5
Codename:    Meow
[kittykatt@mystra][~]$ 

I personally recommend just adding "(Afterglow)" to the /etc/arch-release so it can be used as a codename and I'll modify screenfetch to detect codenames and output them if they exist.

- [ My Blog ] | [ AUR Packages ] | [ My deviantART ] | [ screenFetch ] | [ SilverIRC ] -

#58 2010-10-10 13:19:26

milomouse
Website

not trying to jump in as I haven't browsed the recent code yet, but regarding a previous patch proposal; shouldn't the $HOME/.config -> $XDG_CONFIG_DIR be changed to ${XDG_CONFIG_DIR:-${HOME}/.config}
Just in case XDG_CONFIG_DIR isn't set. If it's already patched like this, sorry for mentioning it as I'm at work right now. Other than that, I really like the script as it only displays info I need for other's asking question about my setup, etc, instead of basic system info. Thanks for this. :}

#59 2010-10-11 14:59:05

kittykatt
Website

milomouse wrote:

not trying to jump in as I haven't browsed the recent code yet, but regarding a previous patch proposal; shouldn't the $HOME/.config -> $XDG_CONFIG_DIR be changed to ${XDG_CONFIG_DIR:-${HOME}/.config}
Just in case XDG_CONFIG_DIR isn't set. If it's already patched like this, sorry for mentioning it as I'm at work right now. Other than that, I really like the script as it only displays info I need for other's asking question about my setup, etc, instead of basic system info. Thanks for this. :}

Sounds like a sound idea. Still don't have those previously mentioned patches done yet and I'm between classes at the moment, but I could probably implement them in my downtime during my next shift at work. big_smile

BIG FAT EDIT

Erus_Iluvatar:  I tried implementing your uptime function into screenFetch which I suppose was designed to output seconds as well as what was output before, but it didn't manage to grab seconds for me. =\ Implemented all of your other patches. big_smile

I also managed to work out Bash arrays and got them working in my dev version of screenFetch. They're really ugly currently, but they get the job done. I'll push it later after I take a look and see if I can't clean it up some.

Last edited by kittykatt (2010-10-11 23:30:39)

#60 2010-10-12 10:01:38

Erus_Iluvatar
Wiki Admin

My uptime function was mainly designed to workaround a funny bug which displayed 48m of uptime instead of 3d and 48m.

Great for other patches, and for the arrays smile

[Edit]Wut! found where the bug was :

uptime="${mins}m"
  if [ "${hours}" -ne "0" ]; then
    uptime="${hours}h ${uptime}"
    if [ "${days}" -ne "0" ]; then
      uptime="${days}d ${uptime}"
    fi
  fi

If you are up since a day and a min, $hours is null, but $days should be displayed, so you should get the second if out of the first one, and everything should work smile

Omploaded 'screenfetch-dev' to http://ompldr.org/vNXNrZQ : My uggly test to get arrays working.

Last edited by Erus_Iluvatar (2010-10-12 10:56:07)

#61 2010-10-15 11:50:17

Erus_Iluvatar
Wiki Admin

Last update still dont fix the uptime bug.

#62 2010-10-18 00:49:01

kittykatt
Website

Sorry, really haven't had time to work implement it this weekend. Got slammed with work. I'll do it sometime this week.

#63 2010-12-20 20:55:37

JokerBoy

1. freebsd doesn't have /proc/uptime. use the command uptime instead..
2. on freebsd is better to use gsed (coreutils), not there own sed..

#64 2010-12-24 19:26:17

kittykatt
Website

JokerBoy wrote:

1. freebsd doesn't have /proc/uptime. use the command uptime instead..
2. on freebsd is better to use gsed (coreutils), not there own sed..

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, my knowledge of FreeBSD is pretty limited, so a couple of other issues might pop up as well. I'll implement these changes sometime in the next couple of days and let you know.

Thanks again for letting me know! big_smile

#65 2011-01-19 00:30:45

kittykatt
Website

Uploaded the package "screenfetch" to the AUR. There are now two screenfetch related packages in the AUR...

screenfetch - Pulls a tarball of the screenfetch latest commit from my webserver. Not guaranteed to be as up to date.
screenfetch-git - Clones the screenfetch-dev git repository on my server. Pretty much guaranteed to be the most up to date release.

This is so that people that don't want to install git as a dependency of this won't have to and can just install the "screenfetch" package instead.

Hope this helps some people. ^^;

#66 2011-02-08 12:48:25

penguin

I'm using screenFetch (v2.2.1)
It does not detect my OpenSuSe system:

#####               OS: Unknown x86_64
        #######              Kernel: 2.6.31.14-0.4-desktop
        ##O#O##              Uptime: 50d 2h 10m
        #######              Shell: bash
      ###########            Resolution: 1280x1024
     #############           DE: Not Present
    ###############          WM: IceWM
    ################         WM Theme: Infadel2
   #################         GTK Theme: Not Found
 #####################       Icon Theme: Not Found
 #####################       Font: Not Found
   #################  

Looking at line 218 the reason is obvious:

if [ -f /etc/SUSE-release ]; then distro="SUSE"; fi

...since my /etc/ looks like:

more /etc/SuSE-brand 
openSUSE
VERSION = 11.2

more /etc/SuSE-release 
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11.2

Keep up the nice work!

#67 2011-02-08 21:09:39

kittykatt
Website

Yeah, I never tested the OpenSuSe detection myself as I've never had OpenSuSe installed on my system and no one I'm close to has, either. I'll correct the '/etc/SUSE-release' to '/etc/SuSe-release' ASAP and report back here. Thanks for the feedback!

EDIT: @penguin:  Could you reinstall from the AUR or just clone my git repository here and test the new one for me? I just created a SuSe ASCII logo from scratch and added it in because I realized I never really finished writing the SuSe detection and display. Let me know what you think, please.

Last edited by kittykatt (2011-02-09 08:21:33)

#68 2011-02-09 09:02:38

kittykatt
Website

@penguin:  Could you reinstall from the AUR or just clone my git repository here and test the new one for me? I just created a SuSe ASCII logo from scratch and added it in because I realized I never really finished writing the SuSe detection and display. Let me know what you think, please.

Update! Version 2.3.1!

• Added SuSe detection and new ASCII logo

• Fixed NoASCII output

• Fixed displaying of "n/a" values for distro codename/release

• Updated first post with screenshot of latest version and current information

Update! Version 2.3.2!

Last edited by kittykatt (2011-02-09 09:46:41)

#69 2011-02-10 10:04:13

Erus_Iluvatar
Wiki Admin

Still the uptime bug : http://ompldr.org/vN2Q4OA

Here is patch : http://ompldr.org/vN2Q4YQ

#70 2011-02-10 10:08:58

penguin

kittykatt wrote:

Yeah, I never tested the OpenSuSe detection myself as I've never had OpenSuSe installed on my system and no one I'm close to has, either. I'll correct the '/etc/SUSE-release' to '/etc/SuSe-release' ASAP and report back here. Thanks for the feedback!

Actually, I don't use SuSE by free choice, we use it at work. But it's alright. I downloaded this:
http://git.silverirc.com/cgit.cgi/scree … .2.tar.bz2
And I get this:

user@b2
         #####               OS: Unknown x86_64
        #######              Kernel: 2.6.31.14-0.4-desktop
        ##O#O##              Uptime: 51d 23h 29m
        #######              Shell: bash
      ###########            Resolution: 1280x1024
     #############           DE: Not Present
    ###############          WM: IceWM
    ################         WM Theme: Infadel2
   #################         GTK Theme: Not Found
 #####################       Icon Theme: Not Found
 #####################       Font: Not Found
   #################  

Still no go, because it is (apparently) /etc/SuSE-release not /etc/SuSe-release as in your script. wink

EDIT: I changed that line, and the logo looks good.

Last edited by penguin (2011-02-10 10:19:17)

#71 2011-02-11 05:08:30

kittykatt
Website

@penguin and Erus_Iluvatar: I just pushed to SilverIRC's repository and GitHub. Try it out now.

#72 2011-02-11 09:56:57

penguin

Downloaded this:
http://git.silverirc.com/cgit.cgi/scree … master.zip
And it works. Looks like in your updated screenshots.

However, on my Debian-machine I get this (line number refers to old version):
2011_02_09_165732_938x643_scrot.png

#73 2011-02-13 19:58:27

kittykatt
Website

This seems to be a purely font-related error. Perhaps instead of using a bunch of spaces, I should use \t instead? I'll play around with that and see what I get. big_smile

#74 2011-02-14 10:36:03

penguin

While I'm at it, I was playing around with the script the other day, and I could not see any help instruction on how to get the old Arch logo. Also, the text for the "-B" option in the help section is misaligned.

Oh, and I think it would be good if the use of -D was either case insensitive, or at least in a way so you don't have to write the various distributions with capital letter, but rather type them all with small case. But that is just my personal opinion.

keep up the good work.

#75 2011-03-18 21:06:38

metre

I use E17, but it doesn't detect it
"DE: Not Present
WM: Not Found"
The second line is the point.

Anyway, nice work. Have a nice day!

PS:
Yes, this is a screenshot utility after all... so, who cares about sys info, after all?
For me, also uptime is 'useless' for the purpose of this nice program smile
I prefer it far more than alsi, archey, archey3 tongue

PPS:
I corrected that tongue

No one cares about it:

display=( host distro kernel shell res de wm wmtheme gtk )

More interesting:

wmnames="fluxbox ... enlightenment"
for each in $wmnames; do
    PID="$(pgrep -U ${userId} $each)"
    if [ "$PID" ]; then
      case $each in
        'fluxbox') WM="FluxBox";;
        'enlightenment') WM="E17";;
      esac
    fi
  done

PPPS:
In my opinion, it would be a nice idea to add a line for the terminal in use... I suppose that it would be kinda easy to add, it would be something like "echo $TERM"

PPPPS:
Ok, I did it again

detectterm (){
myTerm=$(term)
}
    myicons=$(echo -e "$labelcolor Icon Theme:$textcolor $gtkIcons"); out_array=( "${out_array[@]}" "$myicons" ); ((display_index++))
    myterm=$(echo -e "$labelcolor Terminal:$textcolor $TERM"); out_array=( "${out_array[@]}" "$myterm" ); ((display_index++))
    myfont=$(echo -e "$labelcolor Font:$textcolor $gtkFont"); out_array=( "${out_array[@]}" "$myfont" ); ((display_index++))

Of course, you have to make these lines well integrated... and maybe to rewrite them in a better way tongue

PPPPPS:
'myterm' doesn't work with sakura and terminator sad 'myfont' too

Last edited by metre (2011-03-19 22:09:37)

Board footer