You are not logged in.

#301 2011-07-07 20:59:43

tacticalbread
Website

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

portix wrote:
firecat53 wrote:

Can anyone else load vim.wikia.com? It loads partway and then freezes with a steadily climbing cpu usage. Have to kill the process to close it. Is this a webkit problem or just another one of my own configuration bugs? tongue  If it's not just me, I'll submit a bug report to Portix

Are you using a adblocking filterlist? It seems that this only happens with enabled adblocker, so maybe this is not a webkit bug.

I'm using Privoxy, with dwb's blocker disabled, and the same thing happens to me.

don't save us from the flames

#302 2011-07-08 02:44:01

mhertz

Well, privoxy is also a "adblocker", so try with privoxy disabled... It's not a webkit bug since it works for me in two webkit browsers; dwb and jumanji...

#303 2011-07-08 03:07:20

tacticalbread
Website

Well, it works fine for me without privoxy as well. So it seems wikia doesn't like adblockers. >.>

Last edited by tacticalbread (2011-07-08 03:07:41)

#304 2011-07-08 04:58:39

firecat53
Website

Ok, I've got the /etc/hosts list from someonewhocares.org/hosts and commenting those entries allowed wikia to work. So...you're right...it's an adblock thing. Although, for the record, both firefox and chromium would open the page (albeit slower than normal) without choking to death.

Thanks for the tip
Scott

#305 2011-07-10 07:25:03

jakob

Hey portix,

thank for this very nice browser. I’ve tried uzbl and was lately using luakit mainly, but dwb seems to be a bit more stable plus I like configuration being a bit simpler than with luakit’s lua configuration files.

I’ve already posted three bugs @ bitbucket, but there is (among others) one thing, I’d like to ask here:

How are we supposed to close dwb using the keyboard? since „d“ doesn’t close dwb if the last view has been closed (what I would find quite intuitive), which way is there? I only found ZZ to be doing the job, however, that one is saving the session, which is not actually always needed…

Best,

Jakob

#306 2011-07-10 09:25:33

portix

jakob wrote:

I’ve already posted three bugs @ bitbucket, but there is (among others) one thing, I’d like to ask here:

I fixed those three bugs.

jakob wrote:

How are we supposed to close dwb using the keyboard? since „d“ doesn’t close dwb if the last view has been closed (what I would find quite intuitive), which way is there? I only found ZZ to be doing the job, however, that one is saving the session, which is not actually always needed…

Pressing 'd' closed dwb a few months ago but i changed  this behaviour because this could be really annoying when there is only one tab open. I prefer the window manager for closing applications but now i also added a shortcut for closing dwb, the default ist 'C-q'.

#307 2011-07-10 14:34:03

jakob

portix wrote:

Pressing 'd' closed dwb a few months ago but i changed  this behaviour because this could be really annoying when there is only one tab open. I prefer the window manager for closing applications but now i also added a shortcut for closing dwb, the default ist 'C-q'.

Yes, I saw that there were complaints earlier in the thread. I’ve set quit to „D“ now, I think that’s logical and not too easily confused with „d“.

Thanks for these blazening fast fixes! I’ll report some other incongruities at the settings pages soon, as some descriptions do not correspond to the options to be set…

But one other thing that is no bug but rather a feature that is not implemented yet or I did not found yet.
Configurability of Mouse buttons
Middle click opening in a new tab is fine, but I’d like to double this function to Control + Button 1 click. Is there a way to do this in the keysfile?

Best wishes,

Jakob

#308 2011-07-10 14:42:11

portix

jakob wrote:

But one other thing that is no bug but rather a feature that is not implemented yet or I did not found yet.
Configurability of Mouse buttons
Middle click opening in a new tab is fine, but I’d like to double this function to Control + Button 1 click. Is there a way to do this in the keysfile?

Currently this is not possible, but you can submit a feature request on bitbucket, i will have some time to implement new features in the next weeks.

#309 2011-07-13 22:51:56

jakob

portix wrote:

[…] you can submit a feature request on bitbucket, i will have some time to implement new features in the next weeks.

Hey, I’ve used the bugtracker to post the things I had in mind it might be worth reconsidering or I found not solved so well.

There is still the settings page to come which I want to correct next; I hope, I’ll be able to create correct patches.

Selecting text in text areas by keyboard isn’t supported by webkit, or is that a dwb caveat? Via mouse it works, only <Shift>+<Arrow> won’t do

…and hinting still doesn’t work on bitbucket? how crazy!

Thanks for the good work and the awesomely stable browser! Crashed only once or twice in a week!

Jakob

#310 2011-07-13 23:37:47

portix

jakob wrote:

Selecting text in text areas by keyboard isn’t supported by webkit, or is that a dwb caveat? Via mouse it works, only <Shift>+<Arrow> won’t do

Selection in textareas works fine here, even in normalmode.

jakob wrote:

…and hinting still doesn’t work on bitbucket? how crazy!

Hinting doesn't work with any browser/script on bitbucket. I haven't found out why.

#311 2011-07-14 09:41:13

jakob

portix wrote:
jakob wrote:

Using the mouse, yes, but if you are e.g. editing a post in the forums here, can you select the last line by pressing <Shift><Pos1> in a given line of text? This doesn’t work here, but didn’t work with luakit as well…

#312 2011-07-18 13:44:22

portix

jakob wrote:
portix wrote:
jakob wrote:

Using the mouse, yes, but if you are e.g. editing a post in the forums here, can you select the last line by pressing <Shift><Pos1> in a given line of text? This doesn’t work here, but didn’t work with luakit as well…

Strange, which webkit version are you using? I have no problems with any webkit browser (version 1.4.2).

There is a new flashplugin-blocker in the actual revision. I haven't tested it to much but if it turns out that it blocks flash reliably, a whitelist for this flashblocker will be added. So any feedback is appreciated.

#313 2011-07-18 16:26:56

jakob

portix wrote:

Strange, which webkit version are you using? I have no problems with any webkit browser (version 1.4.2).

There is a new flashplugin-blocker in the actual revision. I haven't tested it to much but if it turns out that it blocks flash reliably, a whitelist for this flashblocker will be added. So any feedback is appreciated.

version 1.4.2 here as well, and if I use normal arrows + shift key it works.

However, I’m using the NEO layout and mostly using the arrow keys on Level 3 (Mod3 key).

So when using <Mod3 + shift + s (qwertz position, corresponds left arrow)> it doesn’t mark text, while <shift + left arrow> does.

The same is valid for luakit, so I assume it is a webkit issue? I’m considerung an upstream bug report.

Another question: I’d like to fix some incorrect entries in head.html and doing this, I’d like to make it consistent. Sometimes, the option names are written on the left while the description s next to the config boxes, sometimes it’s vice versa.

Which way would you prefer? Also for the other settings?

Best,

Jakob

#314 2011-07-18 16:41:45

portix

jakob wrote:

Another question: I’d like to fix some incorrect entries in head.html and doing this, I’d like to make it consistent. Sometimes, the option names are written on the left while the description s next to the config boxes, sometimes it’s vice versa.

Best,

Jakob

The names should appear on on the left side and the description on the right side, but can you give an example of option-names that appear on the right side?
If you find more inconsistencies, patches are always welcome.

#315 2011-07-18 17:04:46

jakob

portix wrote:
jakob wrote:

Best,

Jakob

The names should appear on on the left side and the description on the right side, but can you give an example of option-names that appear on the right side?
If you find more inconsistencies, patches are always welcome.

It’s different in the scrolling and the completion sections and at least one single entry in another section.

Yeah, I’m not so experienced with patching, so I hope a "diff -u keys-old.html keys.html" will be fine smile

#316 2011-07-19 00:28:56

jakob

submitted one patch for keys.hml and settings.html now. I hope these’ll work! On my system they do at least.

So far, the new plugin blocker is doing its job quite well, I’ve enabled plugins now and only see flash movies I click on…

#317 2011-07-19 19:33:58

portix

jakob wrote:

submitted one patch for keys.hml and settings.html now. I hope these’ll work! On my system they do at least.

Thanks for your patches, i applied them today.

#318 2011-07-20 08:16:42

tacticalbread
Website

Hints have started acting weird for me. Sometimes they'll work, others they won't, and I might have to refresh a few times to fix it. I haven't changed anything big in the config recently, all I've done is a few updates, and enable the plugin blocker (which I'm sure is not the culprit, as it happens on pages that have no flash, and I disabled it, and it still kept happening).

#319 2011-07-20 08:45:31

portix

tacticalbread wrote:

Hints have started acting weird for me. Sometimes they'll work, others they won't, and I might have to refresh a few times to fix it. I haven't changed anything big in the config recently, all I've done is a few updates, and enable the plugin blocker (which I'm sure is not the culprit, as it happens on pages that have no flash, and I disabled it, and it still kept happening).

That's strange, there were no changes in the hints script for quite a few revisions, can you post the revision you are actually using (dwb -v)?
Currently the hinting mechanism is done with javascript and the plugin-blocker doesn't use javascript at all, so the plugin blocker shouldn't affect hints.
Anyway, i will implement a new hinting mechanism that doesn't use javascript.

#320 2011-07-20 08:54:17

tacticalbread
Website

I'm using the latest, dwb-hg rev. 437, and it started happening a few revision ago (don't remember the exact number, but within the past day or two).

Thanks for your work on this wonderful browser!

#321 2011-07-20 10:32:13

jakob

tacticalbread wrote:

I can somehow confirm that. Sometimes, hinting didn’t work. Happened only yesterday. Today not, so far.

First, I thought it was only happening in a view where I had opened bitbucket before, but that turned out to be wrong. I didn’t investigate further because, as tacticalbread already said, a reload or switch to another view and back again did solve the problem.

#322 2011-07-20 10:47:03

portix

jakob wrote:
tacticalbread wrote:

I can somehow confirm that. Sometimes, hinting didn’t work. Happened only yesterday. Today not, so far.

First, I thought it was only happening in a view where I had opened bitbucket before, but that turned out to be wrong. I didn’t investigate further because, as tacticalbread already said, a reload or switch to another view and back again did solve the problem.

I wasn't able to reproduce it, but i think i found the problem and hopefully fixed it with revision 438.

#323 2011-08-15 23:09:46

nem

good day.

nice to see another vimlike lightweight browser. however what i immediately discovered was that some pages autofocus their input fields (i.e. youtube). typing something in then is not consistent (mapped keys work as they are set, but nonmapped already print into the field). is this kind of autofocus adjustable somewhere?

regards,
nem

Last edited by nem (2011-08-15 23:10:10)

#324 2011-08-16 08:25:36

portix

No, this is not adjustable because it is not checked if an input or textarea has the focus after loading the webpage. The only thing that can be done at the moment is to prevent the a webpage to set the focus in a an input or textarea using a small javascript snippet, e.g.

window.addEventListener("load", function() { document.activeElement.blur(); }, false);

But maybe i will make this more consistent with one of the next revisions.

#325 2011-08-26 22:29:20

jsteel
Package Maintainer (PM)

Brilliant browser! Is there any way to get the status bar at the top? Preferably above the tabs.

Many thanks

PGP key: F40D2072
Key fingerprint: 8742 F753 5E7B 394A 1B04  8163 332C 9C40 F40D 2072

Board footer