You are not logged in.

#376 2011-10-30 12:07:40

portix

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

nperry wrote:

Still getting the pink colouring on the buttons, I have changed the gtk-theme to Adwaita now, restarted my WM. Also still getting the white on white with the command box where I am typing.

http://i.imgur.com/5pU7b.png
http://i.imgur.com/8JQNg.png

The colouring of the buttons is not (and won't be) done by dwb, the pink just
seems to be the default webkit3 color for buttons. You can either use a
gtk-theme that modifies the color of buttons or define a userstylesheet in dwb,
i.e. set "user-stylesheet-uri" to a path of a stylesheet file.
I have just fixed the issue with white on white in the command box, so all
themes should work now.

#377 2011-10-30 12:26:55

nperry

portix wrote:
nperry wrote:

Still getting the pink colouring on the buttons, I have changed the gtk-theme to Adwaita now, restarted my WM. Also still getting the white on white with the command box where I am typing.

http://i.imgur.com/5pU7b.png
http://i.imgur.com/8JQNg.png

The colouring of the buttons is not (and won't be) done by dwb, the pink just
seems to be the default webkit3 color for buttons. You can either use a
gtk-theme that modifies the color of buttons or define a userstylesheet in dwb,
i.e. set "user-stylesheet-uri" to a path of a stylesheet file.
I have just fixed the issue with white on white in the command box, so all
themes should work now.

I have pulled in the change, rebuilt and is working perfectly.

I have created a css file with

input{  color:#000000; } 

which I think will work, set "user-stylesheet-uri" to /home/neil/.config/dwb/button.css restarted dwb but still have the pink colour, I have I done it right?

#378 2011-10-30 12:30:59

portix

nperry wrote:

which I think will work, set "user-stylesheet-uri" to /home/neil/.config/dwb/button.css restarted dwb but still have the pink colour, I have I done it right?

The stylesheet-uri must begin with "file://", in your case file:///home/neil/.config/dwb/button.css.

#379 2011-10-30 14:37:49

nperry

portix wrote:
nperry wrote:

The stylesheet-uri must begin with "file://", in your case file:///home/neil/.config/dwb/button.css.

All working, as I said in irc - ty.

#380 2011-10-31 18:19:31

mhertz

.. Just changed over to dwb-hg, and am allready totally in love with it, and so I just wanted to say thank you so much to portix!

I've just finished rebuilding dwm to have dwb as the only browser and now everything is just simply heaven!

Thanks again!

#381 2011-11-01 01:26:40

Isola

Each of the following three commands makes dwb crash when starting up:

Making userscript a symlink to another directory:

rmdir $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/dwb/userscripts
ln -s $HOME/bin $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/dwb/userscripts

and making a symlink of a file inside the userscript folder:

ln -s $HOME/bin/some_script.py $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/dwb/userscripts/some_script.py

and mount "binding" a directory into userscript:

mount --bind $HOME/bin $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/dwb/userscripts

For now I've placed the scripts directly in userscripts, but it would be nice if I could symlink some of the scripts I share among other programs too!

Other than that I love it so far. I switched from uzbl.

Thank you

#382 2011-11-01 10:17:18

portix

Isola wrote:

For now I've placed the scripts directly in userscripts, but it would be nice if I could symlink some of the scripts I share among other programs too!

Fixed in the current revision.

#383 2011-11-01 21:40:43

Isola

portix wrote:
Isola wrote:

Fixed in the current revision.

Hurray!

#384 2011-11-01 23:29:28

mhertz

@portix

I'm currently using dwb-hg, which rocks!, but i'm beginning to think about if I maybe should change over to your gtk3 version instead, and so I would much appreciate if you could please tell me what your view is of the gtk3 version's current stability and feature-completeness and just about how you would rate the diffs between the two currently?

Also, I was wondering if you plan to co-develop those two branches in the feature, or if you at some point(soon?) would pull the plug on the gtk2 edition and only concentrate on the gtk3 one?

(I haven't really been following the libwebkit-gtk+ development for some time, and so I was actually thinking that your gtk3 version where using a development version of libwebkit, but now I see that it's a fully stable release and that libwebkit2 and 3 just differs in which gtk+ toolkit they're linked against...)

Thanks in advance!

#385 2011-11-01 23:37:00

Mithril Leaf

I just switched from Firefox-nightly over to dwb. I love it so far, mainly due to the interface and key commands. I have two questions, or comments possibly. I have noticed dwb taking up an impressive amount of ram when I use it for long periods of time. I stream video a lot, so if it keeps the old video instead of dropping it, that may be related. Another thing that I've noticed is that the browser will not switch to insert mode for flash text entries. Is there any way that could be remedied? Even if only by setting to insert by default when in some sort of flash interface, that would be nice. Sorry if I'm being rude or unreasonable in advance.

#386 2011-11-02 00:02:49

portix

@mhertz
If you don't need the 64-bit flashplugin you can switch to dwb-gtk3-hg, both
libwebkit3 and gtk3 are stable.
I don't want to drop the gtk2 version as long as the flashplugin
doesn't work in the gtk3 version. Also gtk2 and gtk3 are nearly fully
compatible, actually the differences between the the gtk2 and gtk3
version are about 70 lines of code, so it's no big effort to maintain both.

@Mithril Leaf
Streaming videos should not take much more ram but webkit is caching a lot. It
would be possible to reduce the amount of ram webkit uses but this reduces the
load speed.
It is not possible to switch to insert mode for flash text entries because it
can not be detected if a flash text entry is focused.

#387 2011-11-02 00:28:20

Mithril Leaf

Alright, I guess I'll just have to remember to set it to insert mode when typing in flash. I shall investigate further into what in dwb is eating up all my ram.

#388 2011-11-02 00:55:23

kyla
Website

I'm still having the white on white issue. I'm using Ambiance from the light-themes package in the AUR.

EDIT: I built the gtk3 version today.

I also wanted to say that getting flash running in the gtk3 version is really easy; one just needs to use/build nspluginwrapper. The epiphany article in the wiki has instructions.

Last edited by kyla (2011-11-02 00:57:00)

#389 2011-11-02 01:22:28

portix

kyla wrote:

I'm still having the white on white issue. I'm using Ambiance from the light-themes package in the AUR.

EDIT: I built the gtk3 version today.

I also wanted to say that getting flash running in the gtk3 version is really easy; one just needs to use/build nspluginwrapper. The epiphany article in the wiki has instructions.

I cannot reproduce this with the latest revision and Ambiance. You can also try to define a custom gtk stylesheet for dwb, just put

#dwb .entry {
    background-color: #000;
    background-image: none;
    color: #fff;
}

in your $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gtk-3.0/gtk.css.

#390 2011-11-02 01:53:39

kyla
Website

Hmmm, curious that it's not reproducable...

Anyway, your suggested fix worked perfectly, thank you smile

#391 2011-11-02 02:27:32

mhertz

@portix

Thanks alot for your reply, mate!

I've been checking out the gtk3 version for alittle time now, but i've now reverted back to the gtk2 version, and so i'm happy about you're planning to keep the gtk2 version around still...

As dwb was the only app I had that needed gtk3(dwb-gtk3-hg of course), and several others needs gtk2, then I thought that it was better to just stick to the gtk2 version and save 40mb's of extra deps, but also I had some issues that I wanted to take the oppertunity to report to you...

First, I should apologise for that I back in the jumanji thread, stated to you that dwb didn't save the state of igoogle and logged me out, as it didn't do that now, so I must have done something wrong then i.e. that even though I was sure that I had enabled all cookies, then I guess that I must have failed in that somehow...

OK, two things, first then flash didn't work for me, even though i'm on i686...

I did get the content blocking thinggy, but after disabling the block, then no flash shown and just empty white, or the symbol you get when missing the plugin...

Btw, in the jumanji docs, on doc.pwmt.org, then they also state that flash will only work with their gtk3 version, through nspluginwrapper, and they don't state that it's only like that for x64, but just make the statement in general without specifying platform... (I then tried to install nspluginwrapper, but couldn't, since it's in multilib, and even though I enabled multilib repo, then there isn't any multilib repo's on the i686 mirrors! Also even if I could somehow install nspluginwrapper, then it has pretty big redundant deps like lib32-gcc, lib32-xxx etc.)...

Lastly, then in the webinterface for the settings, then only some fields are toggleble, but i'm thinking if it's maybe because I need to change something with gtk-theming or something, but I just use everything as per default for gtk2+3:

The first shot is from gtk2 version and second from gtk3 one:
tYjM4Yg
tYjM4ZA

#392 2011-11-02 07:49:14

portix

@kyla
It's also strange that it doesn't work without this fix. dwb basically does the same, so i wonder why it doesn't work out of the box.
@mhertz
Ok, it seems that flash only works with nspluginwrapper, i haven't tested the flashplugin in the gtk3 version on i686. I can not do anything about the flashplugin anyway, if the native flashplugin isn't supported by libwebkit3, it won't work in dwb.
It seems that you haven't installed a gtk3 theme, whithout gtk3 theme input boxes are invisible.

Last edited by portix (2011-11-02 07:51:19)

#393 2011-11-02 23:06:02

mhertz

Thanks for your reply, mate!

Sorry about the "themming(non)-issue", I have never installed any themes on gtk2 and so I was thinking that it would be the same with gtk3 i.e. that there would be a default theme provided with the install and which just would be used then...

I am going to keep using the gtk2 version, and so I won't be affected by the flash issue and just thought that I would report it to you, but as you state, then it's out of your hands...

Thanks again!

CU, Martin.

Last edited by mhertz (2011-11-02 23:08:53)

#394 2011-11-05 02:16:39

mhertz

.. Just wanted to add that if you're using dwb-gtk3-hg on i686, then to enable flash support, then install nspluginwrapper from the aur, which is a special i686-only version, without all those redundant lib32-xxx deps:

wget -qO- https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/nspluginwrapper/nspluginwrapper.tar.gz | tar xz; cd nspluginwrapper-1.4.4; makepkg -si --noconfirm; cd -; rm -rf nspluginwrapper-1.4.4

And then run this command to enable flash through the nspluginwrapper:

sudo nspluginwrapper -i /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Then to fix the dwb ui, also make sure that you have installed and configured a gtk3 theme, like e.g by installing 'gnome-themes-standard' and adding the following to '~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini' :

[Settings]
gtk-theme-name = Adwaita

I'm still just using the gtk2 version to save on the deps, but the above fully works as i've just tested it out to make sure...

Last edited by mhertz (2011-11-06 16:05:51)

#395 2011-11-05 10:58:43

nem

good day,

i'm not sure if you're aware of this, but 'gi' (focus next input) still overlaps with commandinput (try typing 'd' - it closes the tab). focussing the inputfield with 'f' (find hint) works.
also when using a proxy (privoxy in my case) i have to reload https sites to load them if i don't explicitly type https://url. on the first load i only get '301: site moved permanently'.

regards,
nem

Last edited by nem (2011-11-05 11:22:53)

#396 2011-11-05 13:03:32

jakob

nem wrote:

good day,

i'm not sure if you're aware of this, but 'gi' (focus next input) still overlaps with commandinput (try typing 'd' - it closes the tab). focussing the inputfield with 'f' (find hint) works.

I think the idea behind that is that getting into the field and switching into insert mode are two separate steps not taken with „gi“ only.

nem wrote:

also when using a proxy (privoxy in my case) i have to reload https sites to load them if i don't explicitly type https://url. on the first load i only get '301: site moved permanently'.

This has been reported here frequently and is not a browser but a privoxy problem.

Best,

Jakob

#397 2011-11-05 13:30:03

nem

thanks for clarifying both points.

regards,
nem

#398 2011-11-09 19:51:15

nem

good day,

well i can't find any information on the https problem '301: permanently moved'. neither in this thread nor via searchengines. if someone solved this issue i'd be delighted if you shared your workaround.

regards,
nem

#399 2011-11-09 22:52:29

mhertz

Hi nem!

It's because of an issue with libsoup when used together with privoxy.

Here's some more info:

More specifically, the bug comes from libsoup, when it's used with privoxy.

Arch forum thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=835195

libsoup bug report: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=631368

A workaround of this problem is to downgrade libsoup to the version 2.30.

Source: http://www.luakit.org/issues/98#note-4

#400 2011-11-09 23:16:18

mhertz

@portix

Sometimes when using dwb, then my whole system freezes i.e. I cannot change to a VT or even move the mouse or anything and then have to hit "alt+sysrq > reisub" to reboot.

Do you think that this could be a dwb issue, or is that not possible when it's that severe? I'm running latest kernel from [testing] and xf86-video-ati + latest hg tip of dwm...

I'm now running a dwb debug build in gdb and if you think it could be a dwb issue, then I can send a backtrace to you when it happens again, but since the issue is a total freeze, then I cannot run backtrace in the gdb console after the crash, but I have enabled 'set logging on', and so I hope that everything gets loged anyway?

Sorry, i'm a noob at making backtraces...

Board footer