You are not logged in.

#401 2011-11-10 01:27:56

portix

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

I cannot say if it is a dwb issue, i never had a whole system freeze. I had some reproducable freezes of dwb with older webkit versions, but they were webkit related as i could reproduce it with other webkit browsers too.
If the system freezes completely you won't be able to make a backtrace, a logfile could be helpful but not as helpful as a backtrace of course. If you have the possibilty to connect to your frozen machine via ssh you could run gdb in screen, try to connect to that screen session and see if you then can create a backtrace.

#402 2011-11-10 06:43:26

nem

mhertz wrote:

Hi nem!

It's because of an issue with libsoup when used together with privoxy.

Here's some more info:

More specifically, the bug comes from libsoup, when it's used with privoxy.

Arch forum thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=835195

libsoup bug report: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=631368

A workaround of this problem is to downgrade libsoup to the version 2.30.

Source: http://www.luakit.org/issues/98#note-4

knowing what the culprit is made easier, thanks. actually upgrading libsoup from 2.34 to 2.36 worked for the 301 problem. now there's the 'blank page' issue they were reporting. damnit. looking for an older package later. thanks.

gregards,
nem

Last edited by nem (2011-11-10 06:47:46)

#403 2011-11-10 08:13:43

hellomynameisphil
Website

mhertz wrote:

@portix

Sometimes when using dwb, then my whole system freezes i.e. I cannot change to a VT or even move the mouse or anything and then have to hit "alt+sysrq > reisub" to reboot...

There are threads elsewhere on these boards about similar freezes. So far, it seems unclear what is causing them (suspects range from xmonad to Intel graphics), but nothing seems conclusive.

Just throwing it out there that it may not actually be dwb that is causing the freezes. But your backtrace will probably give some useful info...

#404 2011-11-10 13:16:06

mhertz

@portix & hellomynameisphil

Thanks for your replys, guys!

Crap, unfortunetly, i'm just having one computer now, so I cannot really connect to it from outside, but i'm then just hoping that the logging i've enabled will bring something usefull...

Anyway, it's probably not even a dwb issue...

Thanks again!

CU, Martin.

#405 2011-11-15 17:50:54

mhertz

@portix

In your latest rev. you've changed the class(not classname) of dwb from 'dwb' to 'Dwb', and so my tagging rule in dwm dosen't propperly open dwb in tag2(web) anymore...

Before I go and rebuild dwm, then could you please tell me if this is a permanent move, or if it's gonna go back to dwb again?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mhertz (2011-11-15 17:51:59)

#406 2011-11-15 18:07:01

portix

mhertz wrote:

@portix

In your latest rev. you've changed the class(not classname) of dwb from 'dwb' to 'Dwb', and so my tagging rule in dwm dosen't propperly open dwb in tag2(web) anymore...

Before I go and rebuild dwm, then could you please tell me if this is a permanent move, or if it's gonna go back to dwb again?

Thanks in advance!

I changed the classname because i read this thread and just wanted to test if changing the classname would make any difference. I just forgot to revert it to the old classname but i will do it with the next revision.

#407 2011-11-15 18:47:43

mhertz

Ahh, Ok, so that was the reason... I stated some wrong things previously in that thread, like the part about xdotool needing non-identical class and classnames from it's clients to work right, so sorry about that! smile

Thanks for your reply, mate!

CU, Martin.

#408 2011-11-19 11:15:46

nenesse
Website

Hello,

I am with arch x86_64.
flashplugin not working.
I tried dwb-gtk3-hg 725-1 and dwb-hg 739-1 , both without success.
What is the proper method of installation?

Thanks

Last edited by nenesse (2011-11-19 11:16:21)

#409 2011-11-19 11:30:14

portix

If the flashplugin is properly installed there is nothing to do if you are using dwb-hg. For dwb-gtk3-hg you need the 32bit flashplugin and nspluginwrapper. 
If the flashplugin is already installed you may be confused by dwb's builtin flashblocker. The default behaviour is, that dwb blocks all flash-content and replaces it with a clickable element, you can generally disable the flashblocker or disable it only for certain domains/urls just for one session or persistent.

#410 2011-11-19 13:06:43

nenesse
Website

portix wrote:

If the flashplugin is already installed you may be confused by dwb's builtin flashblocker. The default behaviour is, that dwb blocks all flash-content and replaces it with a clickable element, you can generally disable the flashblocker or disable it only for certain domains/urls just for one session or persistent.

that's exactly it.
it works (and it works too on Debian/wheezy)

thanks.
merci.

Last edited by nenesse (2011-11-19 16:00:23)

#411 2011-11-23 21:07:30

nenesse
Website

Hello,

I have installed spell checkers below
I set enable-spell-checking and spell-checking-languages (French and English)
but it is not working.
Example: messsge is not reported as a fault.

How do?
Thanks

# pacman -Qs spell
local/aspell 0.60.6.1-1
    A spell checker designed to eventually replace Ispell
local/aspell-en 7.1-1
    English dictionary for aspell
local/aspell-fr 0.50.3-5
    French dictionary for aspell
local/enchant 1.6.0-4
    A wrapper library for generic spell checking
local/vim-spell-en 20100829-1
    Language files for Vim spell checking
local/vim-spell-fr 20100829-1
    Language files for Vim spell checking

#412 2011-11-23 22:48:44

portix

nenesse wrote:

Hello,

I have installed spell checkers below
I set enable-spell-checking and spell-checking-languages (French and English)
but it is not working.
Example: messsge is not reported as a fault.

Installing aspell and enabling spell checking should be enough, you only need to
set the language if you want to use a language other than your language specified
in your locale, otherwise you can leave spell-checking-languages empty.
How exactly did you try to set the spell-checking languages?
I think you have to set it to 'fr' for french and to 'en' for english, you can
also specify a comma-seperated list, the first language in that list that is
installed will be used then.
If i remember correctly, there was also a bug with french. Words with accents
are always underlined in input-fields, in textareas it should work.

#413 2011-11-29 06:25:51

Mithril Leaf

I was wondering if someone had a functional adblocker file that they would be willing to share? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it working. I've tried using the file generated by the privoxy adblock script to no avail, and using my hosts blocks thing that I would like to keep usable on another browser. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could post what they have done to block ads that works. Thanks!

#414 2011-11-29 09:46:36

portix

I would recommend to wait for some days, i have implemented a new adblocker that is compatible with adblock+ filterlists, only some rules aren't supported. It will be merged into the default branch in a  few days.
If you want to test it, you can use dwb-hg and checkout the experimental branch, just add

hg up experimental

in the PKGBUILD in the line before 'make'. There is also a script in the examples-directory, called grab_adblocker that will download filterlists and remove the unsupported filterrules. There are several filterlists defined in grab_adblocker all commented out, you must at least uncomment one filterlist-url to use the script.

Last edited by portix (2011-11-29 13:36:49)

#415 2011-11-29 13:33:26

mhertz

Wow, that's incredible news!!!

Thanks alot portix, you rock!

(Btw, the freezing issue i've not had for along time, and after reading the thread where a bunch of other non-dwb using people had the exact same issue, then i'm sure it wasen't dwb's fault either, and that it was fixed  by a xorg-server, ddx driver or kernel update...)

#416 2011-11-29 19:28:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Hi, just wanted to stop by to say thanks - both in general for dwb which I love, and for a recent feature: presentation mode.

Perhaps it was a coincidence and it was there in dwb-hg for a while (I had been using the 'stable' version), or perhaps it was already on it's way.  But yesterday I put in a feature request, and five hours later it was available from the AUR.

Great work on dwb.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#417 2011-11-29 21:56:20

sablabra

I just started using this web browser, and I'm really liking it so far. Great to hear that updated adblocker is on the way! I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to make history appear automatically as I type in urls? As it is now I have to press tab to see if I can find what I need, and if it's not there I need to start writing all over again.
2) Can I specify color on input fields? I use a dark gtk theme, but I get dark text on dark background.
3) Is there a scrollbar or some other easy way to scroll with mouse? (for those times you just lean back and surf with only mouse tongue )

#418 2011-11-29 22:14:28

portix

sablabra wrote:

1) Is it possible to make history appear automatically as I type in urls? As it is now I have to press tab to see if I can find what I need, and if it's not there I need to start writing all over again.

This is not possible at the moment, personally i find this annoying so i don't know if it will be possible. But i will think about who much effort it takes to implement it.

sablabra wrote:

2) Can I specify color on input fields? I use a dark gtk theme, but I get dark text on dark background.

You can use a custom stylesheet, the setting is called user-stylesheet-uri. The path to the stylesheet has to be a url, so if it is a local file the path must start with file://.

sablabra wrote:

3) Is there a scrollbar or some other easy way to scroll with mouse? (for those times you just lean back and surf with only mouse tongue )

The scrollbars are disabled, if you have a mouse with wheel you can use the wheel, or you can press the middle mouse-button, this activates autoscrolling.

#419 2011-11-29 22:22:31

sablabra

portix wrote:

The scrollbars are disabled, if you have a mouse with wheel you can use the wheel, or you can press the middle mouse-button, this activates autoscrolling.

Autoscrolling with middle mouse button is not working for me. Do I need to enable this somehow?

And regarding history. Say I'm typing something and I want to check history so I press tab. But I don't find it there so I want to keep typing. But if I press esc all what I was writing is now gone. Is it possible to close history but keep what I already wrote?

#420 2011-11-29 23:05:54

portix

sablabra wrote:

Autoscrolling with middle mouse button is not working for me. Do I need to enable this somehow?

I guess you are using dwb from the AUR. The autoscroll feature is just a
javascript-script but is not installed with the dwb-installation. You can either
install dwb-hg or download https://bitbucket.org/portix/dwb/raw/ti … oll.all.js and save it
in $HOME/.config/dwb/scripts, but if you install dwb-hg the autoscroll-feature will also work in frames (it doesn't in dwb).

sablabra wrote:

And regarding history. Say I'm typing something and I want to check history so I press tab. But I don't find it there so I want to keep typing. But if I press esc all what I was writing is now gone. Is it possible to close history but keep what I already wrote?

No, this is not possible, but it would make sense to implement it. I will put
it on my todo list and i think it will get into dwb right after the adblocker is done.

#421 2011-12-02 09:51:30

vekin

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for this great webkit-gtk frontend.

Is it possible to load css userstyle for specific webpages and not others?

Also is it possible to use current pages favicon as the dwb icon for people do not use tabs(hidden) but use window manager for tabs.

#422 2011-12-02 10:37:20

portix

vekin wrote:

Is it possible to load css userstyle for specific webpages and not others?

This is not possible, there is already code to make this possible, but i'm not sure if it will get into dwb. Anyway it needs some testing.

vekin wrote:

Also is it possible to use current pages favicon as the dwb icon for people do not use tabs(hidden) but use window manager for tabs.

That would be relatively trivial to implement and i don't care about the window icon since i'm using a window manager that doesn't show window icons. But i'm not sure how reasonable this is. If this was the common behaviour of other webbrowsers i wouldn't implement it since then one couldn't distinguish between dwb and the other webbrowser through its window icon and i think this is the purpose of a window icon.

#423 2011-12-02 13:20:01

korkadapa

Is there any way to set the default download path? Also, google-talkplugin seems to crash for me if I start a "Hangout" in Google+.

#424 2011-12-02 13:32:15

portix

There is a setting 'download-directory' that specifies the default download directory. You will be asked for the download-path anyway, so you can still change it on the fly. I will see if i can reproduce the crash on google+.

@sablabra: there is a new setting called 'scrollbars' which enables/disables scrollbars. After changing this setting dwb needs to be restarted.

#425 2011-12-03 12:30:50

vekin

portix wrote:

That would be relatively trivial to implement and i don't care about the window icon since i'm using a window manager that doesn't show window icons. But i'm not sure how reasonable this is. If this was the common behaviour of other webbrowsers i wouldn't implement it since then one couldn't distinguish between dwb and the other webbrowser through its window icon and i think this is the purpose of a window icon.

Ah you are right, I don't even know C and figured out how to do this in view.c with one line.

if (pb) {
+    gtk_window_set_icon(GTK_WINDOW(dwb.gui.window), pb);
    rescale = gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple(pb, dwb.misc.tab_height, dwb.misc.tab_height, GDK_INTERP_BILINEAR);

Board footer