You are not logged in.

#726 2012-03-29 08:29:16

Gusar

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

stryder wrote:

Luakit groups them under the tag (don't know what it does if multiple tags, never tried).

Yeah, this would be quite cool to have in dwb. Also grouping of history, but here group it by date.

#727 2012-03-29 21:32:35

portix

skottish wrote:

One of the cool things that jumanji does is that one can see the tags when you're searching the bookmarks. It makes it much easier to remember what was going on at the time.

Yeah, that sounds cool, i will definitely implement this when i have time for it.

#728 2012-03-30 00:31:55

skottish
Forum Fellow

portix wrote:
skottish wrote:

One of the cool things that jumanji does is that one can see the tags when you're searching the bookmarks. It makes it much easier to remember what was going on at the time.

Yeah, that sounds cool, i will definitely implement this when i have time for it.

Sweet! That's freakin' killer news. Thanks.

#729 2012-03-30 19:59:28

bloom
Website

Here's a simple custom command to focus the right tab after closing a tab:

D:close_tab;;focus_next

gh · da · ds

#730 2012-03-31 05:51:46

nomadicME

Very cool browser.  Moving away from the bloat.  One question:  In javascript the window.open command opens a tab in dwb.  I have javascript-can-open-windows-automatically checked in settings.  winopen opens a window, but js cannot.  The same page opens a window in chromium.   Here is an example:

http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/met_win_open.asp

Is this a known problem or am I just missing something in the settings?

Also, I'm noticing as I am typing this post that the browser drops out of insert mode from time to time.  Is there a timeout on insert mode, not finding anything in the settings?

Using dwb ver 2012.02.01 on gentoo.

Last edited by nomadicME (2012-03-31 05:59:28)

#731 2012-03-31 08:15:47

portix

I know that window.open opens a new tab, but this is the intended behaviour. Most other browsers that support tabbed browsing open window.open in a new tab, also chromium opens window.open in a new tab for me.

There is no timeout for insertmode, only pressing escape leaves insertmode.

Edit: There is also a keybinding for normal mode, it is default mapped to Control-n, maybe you accidently typed it?

Last edited by portix (2012-03-31 08:45:37)

#732 2012-03-31 09:11:03

Cloudef

Hello, Is it possible to remember site specific last download location?
By script for example? I could imagine that DWB_URI enviroiment variable would be useful here.

#733 2012-03-31 09:32:00

portix

You can use an external downloader in a script and choose the directory based on the url.

#734 2012-03-31 10:19:09

Cloudef

portix wrote:

You can use an external downloader in a script and choose the directory based on the url.

Ah yeah, good thinking. I do prefer the internal downloader's style though. But I can sacrifice that smile

#735 2012-03-31 19:56:43

nomadicME

The window.open issue was a little more subtle than I thought when I selected that example.  So here is a slightly modified example:

<html>
<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function open_win()
{
newwindow=window.open("http://www.w3schools.com",'name','height=250,width=216');
}
</script>
</head>

<body>
<form>
<input type="button" value="Open Window" onclick="open_win()">
</form>
</body>

</html>

I agree, in the example I sent you (without dimensions for the window to be opened) the page will be loaded in a tab in most browsers including chromium.  However, if you include dimensions like the example I have provided above, the page is loaded in a small window instead in chromium & seamonkey, but not dwb.  This is a useful feature for creating popup windows.

On the intermitent insert mode issue, it has dropped out of insert mode probably 30-40 times while I have typed this post.  Very distracting.  I have no normal mode setting, but my command mode is the colon key.  It is unlikely I am hitting that by mistake as that would require the shift key as well.  I have also watched it drop out of insert mode numerous times while my hands are off the keyboard.  I'd be glad to troubleshoot if you have any suggestions.  I disabled the syndaemon thinking that may have had something to do with it, but no luck.

Last edited by nomadicME (2012-03-31 19:58:10)

#736 2012-03-31 20:06:38

nomadicME

It seems part of the problem (maybe all of the problem) with the intermittent insert mode can be attributed to pages on other tabs refreshing.   I watched it drop from insert mode while the percent loaded displayed on another tab. Should that drop me out of insert mode?  I would vote no, since many pages refresh automatically and if you have many tabs open each refreshing at different intervals this can lead to the very distracting behavior while typing, which I have observed.

#737 2012-03-31 20:45:50

portix

I don't know how to circumvent the problem with window.open. The problem here is that webkitgtk emits a signal when the browser should open a new window but i don't know if it is possible to get the parameters of the call of open, the signal itself gives no information about it.
I see what the issue with insert-mode is, i will fix this as soon as possible.

#738 2012-03-31 22:14:19

nomadicME

Epiphany browser & surf (also webkit) launch the window.open example script in another window, but the window is maximized instead of the requested dimensions.  Jumanji also opens it a new tab.  So maybe I'll try to report this to the webkit devs.

Thank you for having a look at the insert mode problem.  Keep up the good work.  This is a great browser.

Last edited by nomadicME (2012-03-31 22:27:21)

#739 2012-04-01 11:19:12

Cloudef

Is there anyway to make userscript launch in background? Adding & at the end of bash script does not seem to work, and dwb is basically frozen until the userscript exits.
Also I seem to get "Argument list too long" errors with simple youtube-dl + mplayer userscript.

Last edited by Cloudef (2012-04-01 11:46:12)

#740 2012-04-01 11:55:12

portix

dwb is frozen if your scripts sends output to stdout, this needs to be fixed. However there a two possibilties to circumvent this, you can either take care that no output is sent to stdout by sending output to /dev/null or you can use the usefifo option in the script, dwb then only parses commands sent to a fifo. The path of the fifo is in the environment variable $DWB_FIFO. Using $DWB_FIFO might be the default in the next release because using stdout causes some problems. However if you want to use the usefifo option you can specifiy it in your script in a commentline, e.g.

#!/bin/bash
# dwb:usefifo:

@nomadicME: The issue with leaving insert mode should be fixed now in tip. But there will also be a release in a few days.

#741 2012-04-01 12:01:41

Cloudef

portix wrote:

dwb is frozen if your scripts sends output to stdout, this needs to be fixed. However there a two possibilties to circumvent this, you can either take care that no output is sent to stdout by sending output to /dev/null or you can use the usefifo option in the script, dwb then only parses commands sent to a fifo. The path of the fifo is in the environment variable $DWB_FIFO. Using $DWB_FIFO might be the default in the next release because using stdout causes some problems. However if you want to use the usefifo option you can specifiy it in your script in a commentline, e.g.

#!/bin/bash
# dwb:usefifo:

@nomadicME: The issue with leaving insert mode should be fixed now in tip. But there will also be a release in a few days.

Thank you, usefifo seems to not spawn mplayer for some reason, however outputting to /dev/null works. I pulled the latest version of dwb too where it seems you have fixed the argument list issue (propably by getting rid of arguments all together)

#742 2012-04-01 16:13:10

Reded

Hey, just gotten this browser off the AUR, and immediately noticed a small problem, things like text boxes and drop-downs (The box I type in for Arch Forums, and the 'jump to') Seem to have black-on-black colouring, making the text inside hard to read tongue I have a black GTK theme so I assume it's following that... Any way to make these boxes more readable without changing my theme? Thanks smile

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

#743 2012-04-01 16:26:05

Cloudef

Reded wrote:

Hey, just gotten this browser off the AUR, and immediately noticed a small problem, things like text boxes and drop-downs (The box I type in for Arch Forums, and the 'jump to') Seem to have black-on-black colouring, making the text inside hard to read tongue I have a black GTK theme so I assume it's following that... Any way to make these boxes more readable without changing my theme? Thanks smile

input, textarea, select {
  background-color: #000  !important;
  color:#fff !important;
}

Save that somewhere as dark.css for example and set user-stylesheet-uri on settings to point at the file with file:// syntax.

#744 2012-04-01 16:55:04

Reded

Ahh excellent, worked better than I'd hoped - Was thinking it'd set white background, black writing, the other way round's much better big_smile Thanks for that!

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

#745 2012-04-01 21:44:41

skottish
Forum Fellow

Hey portix,

I upgraded dwb-hg today and there are a few things that are happening. One of them is that all SSL sites are now shown as untrusted and the other is that settings are no longer persistent. I believe that these are both being caused by the stack in [testing] and not dwb though. The first two messages on the command line are:

GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(dwb:10540): libsoup-CRITICAL **: soup_message_set_first_party: assertion `first_party != NULL' failed

--EDIT--

My laptop that wasn't upgraded today shows the same libsoup message, but not the GLib message. But since libsoup and gnutls frequently have issues with upgrades to one another, that may explain the problem.

Last edited by skottish (2012-04-01 21:48:38)

#746 2012-04-01 21:56:17

portix

I am not using testing and haven't built libsoup 2.38 yet but i know that the ssl-certification has changed in libsoup. Is your ssl-ca-cert set correctly? Are settings really not persistent? dwb isn't using GSettings at all, so i would be surprised if the settings aren't saved.

#747 2012-04-01 22:10:24

skottish
Forum Fellow

portix wrote:

I am not using testing and haven't built libsoup 2.38 yet but i know that the ssl-certification has changed in libsoup. Is your ssl-ca-cert set correctly? Are settings really not persistent? dwb isn't using GSettings at all, so i would be surprised if the settings aren't saved.

glib-networking got updated today, so the the cerificate problem may be there. I'll scour the world and see if anyone else is having problems.

I double checked on the settings thing and no, they're not persistent when using :ssettings. I changed the tab order from rightmost to leftmost, closed and reopened dwb, and it went back to rightmost. The GUI worked fine yesterday. There are no permissions issues with the 'settings' file or its parent directory. I'd say just wait on this one. GNOME is going to pushed into the regular repos very quickly I'm sure and there really isn't a reason to enable testing just to see if it's my problem or if it's something larger than that.

#748 2012-04-01 22:58:25

portix

You are right but it had nothing to do with testing, i just broke it when i introduced the local_set command, fixed now in tip.

#749 2012-04-01 23:03:59

skottish
Forum Fellow

portix wrote:

You are right but it had nothing to do with testing, i just broke it when i introduced the local_set command, fixed now in tip.

Works. Thanks.

#750 2012-04-01 23:48:29

nomadicME

portix wrote:

I don't know how to circumvent the problem with window.open. The problem here is that webkitgtk emits a signal when the browser should open a new window but i don't know if it is possible to get the parameters of the call of open, the signal itself gives no information about it.
I see what the issue with insert-mode is, i will fix this as soon as possible.

All of my insert-mode problems are resolved.  Thanks.

Board footer