You are not logged in.

#1601 2013-04-19 14:59:06

mhertz

Re: dwb - a webkit web browser

@portix

I've just changed from using the grab_adblocker script to instead use the adblock_subscriptions extension, and it works great.

I also have made and maintain a personal unattended arch-install-script(allthough I never reinstall, but just for fun and just in case I ever should need to...), and so I just updated the script to use the adblock_subscriptions extension with dwb, but after testing it out in a vm, then I have some issues which I don't have on my actual system:

There's no ':adblock_subscribe/unscribe' commands, and the subscription file(Easylist) isn't getting updated upon starting dwb, but adds are still blocked though. Also running 'dwbem -a' lists adblock_subscriptions as installed, but running 'dwbem -E adblock_subscriptions' displayes that no configuration is found?

This is the dwb part of my arch-install-script:

[...]
mkdir -p /mnt/home/martin/.config/dwb/{adblock_lists,default}
(cd /mnt/home/martin/.config/dwb && curl -s --remote-name-all http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/URL-REMOVED/{settings,searchengines,mimetypes})
(cd /mnt/home/martin/.config/dwb/default && curl -s --remote-name-all http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/URL-REMOVED/{custom_keys,cookies,quickmarks})
curl -s http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/URL-REMOVED/Easylist > /mnt/home/martin/.config/dwb/adblock_lists/Easylist
arch-chroot /mnt su -c 'dwbem -Ni adblock_subscriptions' - martin
arch-chroot /mnt chown -R martin: /home/martin

Do you see anything that i'm missing, and which could possibly give the previously mentioned issues?

I've also on my real system uninstalled adblock_subscriptions with 'dwbem -r adblock_subscriptions' and then i as root run the same command as the script i.e. 'su -c 'dwbem -Ni adblock_subscriptions' - martin', and then when starting dwb, then everythings perfect and none of the previously mentioned issues are there???

I would really appreciate if you could kindly tell me what i'm doing wrong here, thanks.

Oh, just in case, then here's my settings file:

[default]
hint-font=bold 11px monospace
cookies-store-policy=persistent
editor=urxvt -e vim dwb_uri
adblocker=true
adblocker-filterlist=/home/martin/.config/dwb/adblock_lists
ssl-strict=false

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mhertz (2013-04-19 14:59:54)

#1602 2013-04-19 15:33:27

portix

Are you using testing in the vm together with dwb (not -git)?

#1603 2013-04-19 16:20:18

mhertz

Sorry; Yes I use dwb from community repo in both vm and laptop, and have testing enabled in both...

Anyway, this isn't a dwb issue persay, as it works when doing the install in "realtime", but just not from a "chrooted environment" for some strange reason?

If you come to think of anything, then please drop me a line, as it's making me crazy that I don't know why it says it's installed ok and also block adds, but just that there's no ":adblock_subscribe/unsubscribe" commands, and 'dwbem -E adblock_subscriptions' state no config available. I have diffed the extension file under '.local/...' to the one in the vm's .local dir, and they're the same...

CU, Martin.

#1604 2013-04-19 16:26:11

portix

Do get any output on commandline when starting dwb? At least you should get a

DWB EXTENSION: extension adblock_subscriptions: Successfully loaded and initialized.

You could also test if scripts work at all, to test it open dwb:scripts, enter

io.print("foo");

and then press Ctrl-Return. You should get a "Execution successful" and "foo" should be printed to stdout.

Last edited by portix (2013-04-19 16:29:49)

#1605 2013-04-19 17:56:12

mhertz

portix wrote:

Do get any output on commandline when starting dwb? At least you should get a

DWB EXTENSION: extension adblock_subscriptions: Successfully loaded and initialized.

Nope! Just a libsoup authntlm error, which happens both in vm and real machine...

(dwb:13008): libsoup-WARNING **: No feature manager for feature of type 'SoupAuthNTLM'

You could also test if scripts work at all, to test it open dwb:scripts, enter

io.print("foo");

and then press Ctrl-Return. You should get a "Execution successful" and "foo" should be printed to stdout.

"An error occured" was just outputed in the command-line and no "foo" on stdout either...

The only new thing I noticed is that when I in the vm, uninstall adblock_subscriptions with 'dwbem -r adblock_subscriptions', then the extension is removed, but also I get this error displayed:

(dwbem:329): GLIB-CRITICAL **: g_file_set_contents: assertion contents !=NULL || length 

Strange indeed???

#1606 2013-04-19 18:06:53

portix

The ntlm-error just says that ntlm is no longer supported in libsoup-2.42 which is in testing, i will remove the ntlm option soon.
Are on both systems exactly the same package versions installed? With the latest webkit-release (webkit-2.0) scripts are broken in the community package, this is fixed in -git.

#1607 2013-04-19 22:29:24

mhertz

Yes, it's the exact same package versions on both vm and laptop... Both is testing repo enabled and fully up-to-date

If I go into the vm and uninstall adblock_subscriptions and then reinstall, then everythings fine, and it's just when installing adblock_subscriptions through my install-script that there's an issue...

#1608 2013-04-20 01:40:27

mhertz

..Just wanted to add that I found the issue...

When running: 'arch-chroot /mnt su -c 'dwbem -Ni adblock_subscriptions' - martin', then the extension file is correctly added under '~/.local/share/dwb', but however the extension_loader.js file isn't added to '~/.config/dwb/userscripts', for some strange reason...

I fixed up my install-script to workaround this issue, and now everything is finally perfect smile

CU, Martin.

#1609 2013-04-20 15:14:09

mhertz

@portix

One last thing, please...

I've "fixed" the issue by bypassing dwbem and instead letting my script download 'adblock_subscriptions' and 'extension_loader.js' and placing them correctly. I could also instead make my script install the extension with dwbem as root and move the extension files from '/root/...' to '~/....', but I choosed the first solution i.e.

mkdir -p /mnt/home/martin/.config/dwb/{adblock_lists,default,userscripts}
mkdir -p /mnt/home/martin/.local/share/dwb/extensions
(cd /mnt/home/martin/.config/dwb && curl -s --remote-name-all http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/URL-REMOVED/{settings,searchengines,mimetypes})
(cd /mnt/home/martin/.config/dwb/default && curl -s --remote-name-all http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/URL-REMOVED/{custom_keys,cookies,quickmarks})
curl -s http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/URL-REMOVED/Easylist > /mnt/home/martin/.config/dwb/adblock_lists/Easylist
curl -s http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/URL-REMOVED/adblock_subscriptions > /mnt/home/martin/.local/share/dwb/extensions/adblock_subscriptions
curl -s http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/URL-REMOVED/extension_loader.js > /mnt/home/martin/.config/dwb/userscripts/extension_loader.js
arch-chroot /mnt chown -R martin: /home/martin

(On my real system I use dropbox-uploader.sh in a shell-function to easilly backup files and another shell-function to easilly download them again; 'drop <file>' and 'dget <file>'...)

After testing it out with qemu-kvm, then most things work as they should, meaning that the extension is listed as started in stdout when starting dwb, and the subscription file is auto-updated.

The only thing that dosen't work right, is that 'dwbem -a' dosen't list an 'i' infront of adblock_subscriptions, and 'dwbem -l' also lists no extensions installed! So then I cannot update the extension in the feature with 'dwbem -Nu' unfortunetly...

So, do you know what i'm missing here i.e. where does dwbem look to determine if an extension is installed, besides the two files i've allready covered?

Thanks in advance!

Btw, I saw in the commit-log for the development version that you're implementin visual-mode! This is freakin' awesome, man! Thanks alot!

#1610 2013-04-20 16:38:32

LuX

Hello

I have just discovered dwb and I really appreciate it: it's extremely fast, robust, well designed and easy to customize. Many thanks for this excellent piece of work.

There are some difficulties that I have not succeeded to solve at the moment, though. Maybe (probably) I missed some points in the manual, but could anybody let me know if the following is possible with dwb, or not, or if it's possible but only through some scripting (this is the main ability of dwb that I have not explored yet)?

1) When I open a page which contains insert forms (like Google search page, for example) a cursor is blinkink in the first field, which makes me often forget that dwb is still in command mode. Is it possible to teach dwb to switch to insert mode automatically whenever opening such pages (with 'open' as well as with 'focusnext')? Otherwise would it be possible to hide the blinking prompt in the forms when dwb isn't in insert mode?

2) When your are looking for an url in the history or bookmarks list in vimperator, you can see the list of possible completions modifying itself on the fly while your are typing your key words in the command line. On the other hand in dwb, apparently if you type some key words you cannot see any completion list until you press the Tab key, but then your key words are replaced by the successive items of the completion list and you can't see them anymore. If you want to add more key words or change them, you have to press Esc first, and then again the completion list disappears. Maybe I missed domething here (I have discovered the role of the Esc key in this context only lately, for example), but is there a more vimperatorish like completion (if I can say so) available in dwb, so that your list of key words and the corresponding list of possible completions are simultaneously visible?

3) I also noticed that the Ctrl-B, Ctrl-h and Ctrl-p completions for opening an uri works differently after 'o' (prompt 'open: ') and after ':open ', which is a bit puzzling in my opinion. On the other hand the Tab completion works the same in both cases. (Btw I have not understood how the Ctrl-p completion works: it gives different results in apparently the same context... I'm lost here).

Thanks again!

#1611 2013-04-20 16:56:53

Army

LuX wrote:

1) When I open a page which contains insert forms (like Google search page, for example) a cursor is blinkink in the first field, which makes me often forget that dwb is still in command mode. Is it possible to teach dwb to switch to insert mode automatically whenever opening such pages (with 'open' as well as with 'focusnext')? Otherwise would it be possible to hide the blinking prompt in the forms when dwb isn't in insert mode?

There's a config option for this. Type Ss and then search for auto-insert-mode.

#1612 2013-04-20 18:24:38

LuX

Thank you army, this is quite nice!

There is a case which it doesn't solved, though, namely when this page has been previously opened in some tab and that I come back to it with 'focusnext' or by clicking in its tab header. Then the page remains in command mode, with the prompt blinking in the first form field. Is there a solution in this case, similar to auto_insert_mode? Otherwise is there a way to hide the blinking prompt in form fields when the insert mode is disabled?

Last edited by LuX (2013-04-20 18:25:05)

#1613 2013-04-20 23:33:25

mhertz

@portix

I did a 'ls -laR > foo' before and after installing the extension with dwbem, and when I diff'ed the output files, then I finally found the answer to my issue i.e. '.local/share/dwb/extensions/{.installed,.metadata}'.

CU, Martin.

#1614 2013-04-22 08:18:08

Mr_Kartoffelsalat

Is there an option to show information about images? When I do a rightclick on an image the only image related options I can choose from are about opening the image in a new window. Or is there any keycombination witch I might have missed?

#1615 2013-04-22 18:51:43

portix

Mr_Kartoffelsalat wrote:

Is there an option to show information about images? When I do a rightclick on an image the only image related options I can choose from are about opening the image in a new window. Or is there any keycombination witch I might have missed?

You could enable developer extras (the webinspector) and click on "inspect element" on images, the webinspector will give you some information.

#1616 2013-04-22 19:57:20

Mr_Kartoffelsalat

Thanks for the tip. It's a bit like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut but it works fine smile

#1617 2013-04-23 12:30:59

LuX

Hello!

After some more use of dwb (and other keyboard oriented web browsers) I convinced myself that probably, at the moment:

1) There is no way to show/hide the blinking cursor in a form whenever changing mode.

2) Auto-completion doesn't permit to see simultaneously the key words you are typing in the command line and the corresponding completions in the menu above it (like dmenu does). One has to switch between the two using <Tab> and <Esc>.

Please let me know if I'm wrong!

Well, this is not so bad after all: dwb is definitely an excellent browser anyway and I really like it.

Nevertheless, is there a chance that dwb evolves on one of these points (or the two of them) in future versions ?
(Yes, this is a feature request... hope you don't mind. wink)

Regards,
LuX

PS : By the way, is it possible to teach dwb to change the background colors of some things (tab's tag and/or status bar and/or maybe the page itself) depending on the mode? This would be a way to warn me that I am or am not in insert mode, more visibly than just with with the -- INSERT MODE -- flag on the left bottom corner.

Last edited by LuX (2013-04-23 12:42:06)

#1618 2013-04-23 12:59:19

jakob

LuX wrote:

Nevertheless, is there a chance that dwb evolves on one of these points (or the two of them) in future versions ?

For feature requests as well as bug reports, there's an issue tracker at the bitbucket project site

#1619 2013-04-23 17:09:35

portix

LuX wrote:

1) There is no way to show/hide the blinking cursor in a form whenever changing mode.

That can be done with a script:

//!javascript

Signal.connect("changeMode", function(wv, mode) {
    if (mode == Modes.NormalMode)
    {
        wv.focusedFrame.inject("document.activeElement.blur();");
    }
});

place that in ~/.config/dwb/userscripts.

LuX wrote:

2) Auto-completion doesn't permit to see simultaneously the key words you are typing in the command line and the corresponding completions in the menu above it (like dmenu does). One has to switch between the two using <Tab> and <Esc>.

You could file a feature request on the bugtracker as jakob suggested, i don't
really mind about feature request on this board, but the chance that i will
forget about it is rather high.

#1620 2013-04-23 21:03:29

gothmog123

Hi, temporary cookie whitelisting (CT) is not working for me. Session and permanent are fine.

Also html5 videos are crashing, though this seems to be a problem in my system concerning webkitgtk... midori and epiphany crash as well.

#1621 2013-04-24 13:05:02

jakob

gothmog123 wrote:

Also html5 videos are crashing, though this seems to be a problem in my system concerning webkitgtk... midori and epiphany crash as well.

Check this commit. It seems youtube_html5 also seems to be broken. Meanwhile, I switched back to autoquvi which works fine again…

#1622 2013-04-25 01:17:07

zoqaeski

I’ve started using dwb a bit over the last day or so, and I like it so far. It feels faster than luakit, but I prefer some of luakit’s default bindings (maybe just because I’ve used it for so much longer?)

However, there’s a few useful bindings that luakit has OOTB which would be nice in dwb; for example, [[ and ]] to follow the “previous” and “next” links on a page, and C-a C-x to increment and decrement the last number in a uri. These could probably be done with userscripts: there was one earlier (40-something pages back) for the next/previous navigation but it didn’t seem to work for me.

#1623 2013-04-25 01:30:42

mhertz

For the next/previous-links with '[' and ']', then I use a 'custom command' that portix posted some time ago, and atleast for me then that works quite nicely:

]:exja (function(){var e=document.querySelector("[rel='next']");if(e){location=e.href;}else{var f=document.getElementsByTagName("a");var i=f.length;while((e=f[--i])){if(e.text.search(/(\bnext\b|^>$|^(>>|»)$|^(>|»)|(>|»)$|\bmore\b)/i)>-1){location=e.href; break;}}}})();
[:exja (function(){var e=document.querySelector("[rel='prev']");if(e){location=e.href;}else{var f=document.getElementsByTagName("a");var i=f.length;while((e=f[--i])){if(e.text.search(/(\b(prev|previous)\b|^<$|^(<<|«)$|^(<|«)|(<|«)$)/i)>-1){location=e.href;break;}}}})();

(Copy above, press 'Sk' followed by 'G' and then paste into the custom commands section.)

Last edited by mhertz (2013-04-25 01:33:17)

#1624 2013-04-25 03:03:18

zoqaeski

mhertz wrote:

For the next/previous-links with '[' and ']', then I use a 'custom command' that portix posted some time ago, and atleast for me then that works quite nicely:

]:exja (function(){var e=document.querySelector("[rel='next']");if(e){location=e.href;}else{var f=document.getElementsByTagName("a");var i=f.length;while((e=f[--i])){if(e.text.search(/(\bnext\b|^>$|^(>>|»)$|^(>|»)|(>|»)$|\bmore\b)/i)>-1){location=e.href; break;}}}})();
[:exja (function(){var e=document.querySelector("[rel='prev']");if(e){location=e.href;}else{var f=document.getElementsByTagName("a");var i=f.length;while((e=f[--i])){if(e.text.search(/(\b(prev|previous)\b|^<$|^(<<|«)$|^(<|«)|(<|«)$)/i)>-1){location=e.href;break;}}}})();

(Copy above, press 'Sk' followed by 'G' and then paste into the custom commands section.)

Ah sweet thanks. Works a charm.

Actually, another thing that is bugging me a little is with new tab placement: I’ve got it set up to open new tabs to the right, and focus the left one when you close a tab, but it doesn’t quite do what I want. If I open a lot of tabs in succession, the last tab opened is the one that is immediately to the right of the current tab; I’d rather new tabs be opened after tabs that were opened from a given tab. So if I had three tabs, say |1|2|3| and I opened three new tabs from |1|, I want them to be ordered as |1|4|5|6|2|3|, but dwb opens them as |1|6|5|4|2|3|.

#1625 2013-04-26 11:39:22

LuX

portix wrote:
LuX wrote:

That can be done with a script:

Many thanks! I've just done it and it works pretty well in general.

However if the auto-insert-mode option is disabled, the blinking cursor is visible when opening a page, although dwb is (logically) in command mode. I do not intend to turn off this option, but just in case, could this be fixed in the script?

More strangely, if auto-insert-mode is turned on, this script makes dwb have the expected behaviour on most pages (for example on search pages of Arch's web site or of wikipedia) but NOT on Google! On www.google.fr the blinking cursor remains visible in every mode, with or without this script and with our witout auto-insert-mode activated. Any idea on this?

And finally I have yet another question on modes.

Suppose that I have opened several tabs and that the current tab (say tab 1) is in insert mode. I would like to be able to navigate through the tabs, then go back to tab 1 and still find it in insert mode. Is it possible?

Board footer