You are not logged in.

#76 2011-01-18 19:06:10

Viper_Scull
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2011-01-15
Posts: 153

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

I've found these dependencies on a Debian page, just in case someone wants to add it to the wiki.

You also need a kernel with the following options enabled:

CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_CGROUPS=y
CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=[y|m]
CONFIG_IPV6=[y|m], optional, but highly recommended
CONFIG_FANOTIFY=y, optional, required for systemd readahed. availabe in Linux kernel >= 2.6.37-rcX. Needs to be enabled for the Debian Linux kernel (605636).

I checked out the config file and they are all met.

so thanks, i'm gonna get on it.

Last edited by Viper_Scull (2011-01-18 20:45:14)


Athlon II X4 620 + Gigabyte 785GPM-UD2H + 4GB DDR3 + SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB

Archlinux x86_64 + Openbox

Offline

#77 2011-01-18 19:11:42

Zom
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2007-10-27
Posts: 406

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

Viper_Scull wrote:

Now i don't know if it's a silly question, but is it compatible with ureadahead? Is it (ureadahead) recommended for Arch?

Ureadahead also requires a patched kernel to work properly, if you didn't know.

Offline

#78 2011-01-18 20:47:51

Viper_Scull
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2011-01-15
Posts: 153

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

Zom wrote:
Viper_Scull wrote:

Now i don't know if it's a silly question, but is it compatible with ureadahead? Is it (ureadahead) recommended for Arch?

Ureadahead also requires a patched kernel to work properly, if you didn't know.

I didn't, thank you. I can see everything is well documented on the wiki.

I just commented about ureadahead because it worked quite well when i used ubuntu. But i'll try the readahead version from systemd.

Last edited by Viper_Scull (2011-01-18 20:55:33)


Athlon II X4 620 + Gigabyte 785GPM-UD2H + 4GB DDR3 + SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB

Archlinux x86_64 + Openbox

Offline

#79 2011-01-19 13:38:37

skodabenz
Banned
From: Tamilnadu, India
Registered: 2010-04-11
Posts: 382

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

I have problem booting systemd (systemd-git, initscripts-systemd-git, systemd-arch-units, udev, udisks, upower, util-linux-ng-git updated as on 19-JAN-2011)

Output of 'systemctl --all --full | grep -i dead > systemd.txt' booted in runlevel 1

dev-hugepages.automount   loaded inactive dead        Huge Pages File System Automount Point
dev-mqueue.automount      loaded inactive dead        POSIX Message Queue File System Automount Point
proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.automount loaded inactive dead        Arbitrary Executable File Formats File System Automount Point
sys-kernel-debug.automount loaded inactive dead        Debug File System Automount Point
sys-kernel-security.automount loaded inactive dead        Security File System Automount Point
dev-cdrom.device          loaded inactive dead        dev-cdrom.device
dev-dvd.device            loaded inactive dead        dev-dvd.device
dev-dvdrw.device          loaded inactive dead        dev-dvdrw.device
dev-hugepages.mount       loaded inactive dead        Huge Pages File System
dev-mqueue.mount          loaded inactive dead        POSIX Message Queue File System
media-cdrom.mount         loaded inactive dead        /media/cdrom
media-Data_1.mount        loaded inactive dead        /media/Data_1
media-dvd.mount           loaded inactive dead        /media/dvd
media-dvdrw.mount         loaded inactive dead        /media/dvdrw
proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount loaded inactive dead        Arbitrary Executable File Formats File System
sys-kernel-debug.mount    loaded inactive dead        Debug File System
sys-kernel-security.mount loaded inactive dead        Security File System
systemd-ask-password-console.path loaded inactive dead        Dispatch Password Requests to Console Directory Watch
systemd-ask-password-wall.path loaded inactive dead        Forward Password Requests to Wall Directory Watch
auditd.service            error  inactive dead        auditd.service
fsck-root.service         loaded inactive dead        File System Check on Root Device
fsck@dev-sda1.service     loaded inactive dead        File System Check on /dev/sda1
fsck@dev-sda3.service     loaded inactive dead        File System Check on /dev/sda3
fsck@dev-sda9.service     loaded inactive dead        File System Check on /dev/sda9
getty@tty1.service        loaded inactive dead        Getty on tty1
getty@tty2.service        loaded inactive dead        Getty on tty2
getty@tty3.service        loaded inactive dead        Getty on tty3
getty@tty4.service        loaded inactive dead        Getty on tty4
getty@tty5.service        loaded inactive dead        Getty on tty5
getty@tty6.service        loaded inactive dead        Getty on tty6
halt.service              loaded inactive dead        Halt
hwclock-load.service      loaded inactive dead        Apply System Clock UTC Offset
hwclock-save.service      loaded inactive dead        Update RTC With System Clock
lxdm.service              loaded inactive dead        LXDE User Login Manager
poweroff.service          loaded inactive dead        Power-Off
quotacheck.service        loaded inactive dead        File System Quota Check
quotaon.service           loaded inactive dead        Enable File System Quotas
rc-local.service          loaded inactive dead        /etc/rc.local Compatibility
reboot.service            loaded inactive dead        Reboot
remount-rootfs.service    loaded inactive dead        Remount Root FS
rescue.service            loaded inactive dead        Rescue Shell
syslog-ng.service         loaded inactive dead        System Logger Daemon
systemd-ask-password-console.service loaded inactive dead        Dispatch Password Requests to Console
systemd-ask-password-wall.service loaded inactive dead        Forward Password Requests to Wall
systemd-initctl.service   loaded inactive dead        /dev/initctl Compatibility Daemon
systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service loaded inactive dead        systemd Syslog Kernel Log Buffer Bridge
systemd-logger.service    loaded inactive dead        Logging Daemon
systemd-modules-load.service loaded inactive dead        Load Kernel Modules
systemd-random-seed-load.service loaded inactive dead        Load Random Seed
systemd-random-seed-save.service loaded inactive dead        Save Random Seed
systemd-readahead-collect.service loaded inactive dead        Collect Read-Ahead Data
systemd-readahead-done.service loaded inactive dead        Stop Read-Ahead Data Collection
systemd-readahead-replay.service loaded inactive dead        Replay Read-Ahead Data
systemd-remount-api-vfs.service loaded inactive dead        Remount API VFS
systemd-shutdownd.service loaded inactive dead        Delayed Shutdown Daemon
systemd-sysctl.service    loaded inactive dead        Apply Kernel Variables
systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service loaded inactive dead        Cleanup of Temporary Directories
systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service loaded inactive dead        Recreate Volatile Files and Directories
systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service loaded inactive dead        Notify Audit System and Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes
systemd-update-utmp-shutdown.service loaded inactive dead        Notify Audit System and Update UTMP about System Shutdown
systemd-user-sessions.service loaded inactive dead        Permit User Sessions
systemd-vconsole-setup.service loaded inactive dead        Setup Virtual Console
udev-retry.service        loaded inactive dead        udev Retry Failed Events
udev-settle.service       loaded inactive dead        udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization
udev.service              loaded inactive dead        udev Kernel Device Manager
syslog.socket             loaded inactive dead        Syslog Socket
systemd-initctl.socket    loaded inactive dead        /dev/initctl Compatibility Socket
systemd-logger.socket     loaded inactive dead        Logging Socket
systemd-shutdownd.socket  loaded inactive dead        Delayed Shutdown Socket
bluetooth.target          loaded inactive dead        Bluetooth
cryptsetup.target         loaded inactive dead        Encrypted Volumes
final.target              loaded inactive dead        Final Step
getty.target              loaded inactive dead        Login Prompts
graphical.target          loaded inactive dead        Graphical Interface
local-fs.target           loaded inactive dead        Local File Systems
multi-user.target         loaded inactive dead        Multi-User
network.target            loaded inactive dead        Network
remote-fs.target          loaded inactive dead        Remote File Systems
shutdown.target           loaded inactive dead        Shutdown
sockets.target            loaded inactive dead        Sockets
swap.target               loaded inactive dead        Swap
syslog.target             loaded inactive dead        Syslog
umount.target             loaded inactive dead        Unmount All Filesystems
systemd-readahead-done.timer loaded inactive dead        Stop Read-Ahead Data Collection 10s After Completed Startup

Any idea whats wrong. fsck fails for ntfs partitions mounted with mtfs-3g as fsck.ntfs-3g does not exist (but systemd tries to load fsck.ntfs-3g instead of ntfsck). Thanks in advance.


My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

Offline

#80 2011-01-20 12:43:56

serrand
Member
Registered: 2011-01-20
Posts: 2

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

I don't know how much KISS systemd is, but minit is pretty awesome. I'm really surprised no distribution has picked it up yet as their default init daemon:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=27547
http://www.fefe.de/minit/

Offline

#81 2011-01-20 20:39:24

Zom
Member
From: Sweden
Registered: 2007-10-27
Posts: 406

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

serrand wrote:

I don't know how much KISS systemd is, but minit is pretty awesome. I'm really surprised no distribution has picked it up yet as their default init daemon:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=27547
http://www.fefe.de/minit/

You registered today, posted in a thread about one init system to recommend another.

Why?

Offline

#82 2011-01-21 15:49:26

stefano.facchini
Member
Registered: 2010-11-12
Posts: 24

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

Hi,
in the old rc.sysvinit script there are some lines which remove tempfiles in /tmp and few other locations. After switching to systemd my /tmp directory is full of stuff so probabily systemd has nothing similar. Is there a way to add that part of the script to systemd in some way?

Offline

#83 2011-01-21 18:53:39

lucasdemarchi
Member
From: Brazil
Registered: 2009-03-26
Posts: 34
Website

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

skodabenz wrote:

Any idea whats wrong. fsck fails for ntfs partitions mounted with mtfs-3g as fsck.ntfs-3g does not exist (but systemd tries to load fsck.ntfs-3g instead of ntfsck). Thanks in advance.

I don't have ntfs here to test, but did you try to actually disable fsck on /etc/fstab for this partition or linking fsck.ntfs-3g to ntfsck?

Offline

#84 2011-01-22 01:01:11

falconindy
Developer
From: New York, USA
Registered: 2009-10-22
Posts: 4,094
Website

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

stefano.facchini wrote:

Hi,
in the old rc.sysvinit script there are some lines which remove tempfiles in /tmp and few other locations. After switching to systemd my /tmp directory is full of stuff so probabily systemd has nothing similar. Is there a way to add that part of the script to systemd in some way?

This is still present in systemd. Look in /etc/tmpfiles.d/.

Offline

#85 2011-01-22 01:11:20

AugustePop
Member
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 95

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

i have read the very long blog on 0pointer or whatsoever. as i understand, systemd starts daemons in parallel so that the boot time is shorter. what about the shutdown? how does systemd assure that all daemons are stopped properly? some daemon may stop correctly only if another daemon is actually running, not a fake socket or something. will systemd just blindly stop all the daemons in parallel?

Offline

#86 2011-01-22 01:19:35

falconindy
Developer
From: New York, USA
Registered: 2009-10-22
Posts: 4,094
Website

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

Systemd understands dependencies. Unit files have settings like 'After=network.target', meaning that a unit won't start until the network.target dependency has been satisfied. It's simple enough to just reverse this for shutdown.

Offline

#87 2011-01-22 03:21:06

AugustePop
Member
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 95

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

falconindy wrote:

Systemd understands dependencies. Unit files have settings like 'After=network.target', meaning that a unit won't start until the network.target dependency has been satisfied. It's simple enough to just reverse this for shutdown.

that means the dependency of daemons in systemd is also a DAG?

Offline

#88 2011-01-22 03:30:43

falconindy
Developer
From: New York, USA
Registered: 2009-10-22
Posts: 4,094
Website

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

Directed acyclic graph? Yes, it's implemented using some amount of graph theory. I haven't looked at that section of the source in a long time.

systemd 17 released tonight.

Last edited by falconindy (2011-01-22 03:31:06)

Offline

#89 2011-01-22 04:11:56

AugustePop
Member
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 95

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

falconindy wrote:

Directed acyclic graph? Yes, it's implemented using some amount of graph theory. I haven't looked at that section of the source in a long time.

systemd 17 released tonight.

yes. i thought the dependencies is treated as a DAG in sysvinit, only the sorting is conducted by users. i thought systemd may finally cope with cyclic dependency in daemons by parallel starting all of them. seems i was wrong.

and assuming the daemons array can form a DAG by their dependencies does not necessarily means that the init program should explicitly use that graph theory to cope with it. what the end users care is WHAT a program do, not how. and i think most people who thinks sysvinit is simple is talking about its easily describable and quite predictable behavior.

that's just my personal thought. i think systemd will get its place in big distributions, and the .target files it needs will be provided upstream gradually. anyway, Arch is bleeding edge, but i'd rather have those ubuntu guys be our guinea pigs.

Offline

#90 2011-01-22 13:19:57

dieghen89
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2009-06-24
Posts: 134

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

Hi guys...I'm testing systemd v17 on my eeepc...I have some questions:

1) To booting the graphical session i have enabled the kdm@.service...It works, but there is another way to boot an X sessions? Such as adding a daemon in rc.conf despite enabling it in inittab...

2) When i boot (only with v17, before all worked) the eth0 and wlan0 devices are disabled...To have network manager working i have after every boot to:

# ifconfig eth0 up
# ifconfig wlan0 up
# systemctl restart networkmanager.service

3) I haven't found the {gdm,slim}.service, where have i to search them?

I take advantage of this post to congratulate with falconindy (and also Tom Gundersen) for the work done on the porting of systemd on Arch big_smile

Last edited by dieghen89 (2011-01-22 13:20:50)


XPS 13 DE 2015 + K*5
"Machines are so stupid that if you tell them to do something perfect, they'll do it"

Offline

#91 2011-01-22 14:26:39

Viper_Scull
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2011-01-15
Posts: 153

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

falconindy wrote:

systemd 17 released tonight.

I can see on the change list that Tom has removed rc-local.service.

Does that mean that rc.local is not supported anymore, or has it been moved to another location?

Last edited by Viper_Scull (2011-01-22 14:32:33)


Athlon II X4 620 + Gigabyte 785GPM-UD2H + 4GB DDR3 + SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB

Archlinux x86_64 + Openbox

Offline

#92 2011-01-22 15:20:20

m_s_i
Member
Registered: 2010-12-02
Posts: 2

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

I have one problem with systemd is crypt swap. Cryptsetup.target is enable, but crypt swap don't mount.

Offline

#93 2011-01-22 16:22:40

falconindy
Developer
From: New York, USA
Registered: 2009-10-22
Posts: 4,094
Website

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

dieghen89 wrote:

Hi guys...I'm testing systemd v17 on my eeepc...I have some questions:

1) To booting the graphical session i have enabled the kdm@.service...It works, but there is another way to boot an X sessions? Such as adding a daemon in rc.conf despite enabling it in inittab...

2) When i boot (only with v17, before all worked) the eth0 and wlan0 devices are disabled...To have network manager working i have after every boot to:

# ifconfig eth0 up
# ifconfig wlan0 up
# systemctl restart networkmanager.service

3) I haven't found the {gdm,slim}.service, where have i to search them?

I take advantage of this post to congratulate with falconindy (and also Tom Gundersen) for the work done on the porting of systemd on Arch big_smile

gdm and slim service files are part of systemd-arch-units, as is the NetworkManager service. Loading KDE as a daemon isn't even really supported in Arch. Boot with multi-user.target and run startx if you want an alternate way of starting X.


Viper_Scull wrote:
falconindy wrote:

systemd 17 released tonight.

I can see on the change list that Tom has removed rc-local.service.

Does that mean that rc.local is not supported anymore, or has it been moved to another location?

sudo systemctl enable rc-local.service


m_s_i wrote:

I have one problem with systemd is crypt swap. Cryptsetup.target is enable, but crypt swap don't mount.

I assume the rest of your encrypted stuff works? There was a recently fixed bug with encrypted swap that should have made it into v17.

Last edited by falconindy (2011-01-22 16:28:50)

Offline

#94 2011-01-22 17:25:19

dieghen89
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2009-06-24
Posts: 134

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

Mmh I have the package updated, but:

diego@eeepc ~>y -Ql systemd-arch-units
systemd-arch-units /etc/
systemd-arch-units /etc/tmpfiles.d/
systemd-arch-units /etc/tmpfiles.d/openntpd.conf
systemd-arch-units /etc/tmpfiles.d/openssh.conf
systemd-arch-units /lib/
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/scripts/
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/scripts/sshdgenkeys
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/alsa.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/console-kit-daemon.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/console-kit-log-system-restart.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/console-kit-log-system-start.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/console-kit-log-system-stop.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/cups.path
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/cups.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/cups.socket
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/dcron.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/exim.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/fcron.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/hal.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/heimdal-kdc.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/irqbalance.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/kadmind.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/kdm@.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/kpasswd.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/microcode.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/modem-manager.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/mpd.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/network.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/nfs-common.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/nfs-server.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/ntpd.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/openntpd.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/polkitd.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/rpcbind.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.socket
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/rtkit-daemon.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/single.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/smartd.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/sshd.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/sshd.socket
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/sshd@.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/sshdgenkeys.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/syslog-ng.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/udisks.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/upower.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/wicd.service
systemd-arch-units /lib/systemd/system/wpa_supplicant.service

The question about KDM was only a curiosity smile So systemd doesn't support the launch of X session through startx, as sysV with:

x:5:once:/bin/su diego -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c startx >/dev/null 2>&1"

Last thing, nobody has the problem of the network interfaces that aren't enabled after the boot?


XPS 13 DE 2015 + K*5
"Machines are so stupid that if you tell them to do something perfect, they'll do it"

Offline

#95 2011-01-22 17:48:42

Viper_Scull
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2011-01-15
Posts: 153

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

One more thing.

I've got util-linux-ng 2.18 installed, so when i try to install from aur util-linux-ng-git (cause wiki says 2.19 will have the needed feature) and replace the previous one, the terminal prints a warning telling i cannot do it because it's a dependency for several files (hal, mkinitcpio, etc, etc).

Do i need to remove all these packages, install systemd from git, and then reinstall them again?

Last edited by Viper_Scull (2011-01-22 17:54:05)


Athlon II X4 620 + Gigabyte 785GPM-UD2H + 4GB DDR3 + SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB

Archlinux x86_64 + Openbox

Offline

#96 2011-01-22 18:41:40

anachron8
Member
Registered: 2009-12-21
Posts: 8

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

Viper_Scull wrote:

One more thing.

I've got util-linux-ng 2.18 installed, so when i try to install from aur util-linux-ng-git (cause wiki says 2.19 will have the needed feature) and replace the previous one, the terminal prints a warning telling i cannot do it because it's a dependency for several files (hal, mkinitcpio, etc, etc).

Do i need to remove all these packages, install systemd from git, and then reinstall them again?

You can force pacman to ignore the dependencies when removing a package by doing

pacman -Rd util-linux-ng

Then install util-linux-ng-git normally.

Offline

#97 2011-01-23 13:03:57

Leffe
Member
Registered: 2006-05-30
Posts: 47

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

dieghen89 wrote:

So systemd doesn't support the launch of X session through startx, as sysV with:

x:5:once:/bin/su diego -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c startx >/dev/null 2>&1"

You can create a new service, I've used something like this:

[Unit]
Description=xinit for %i

[Service]
User=%i
ExecStart=/bin/bash --login -c startx

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target

Put it in /etc/systemd/system/xinit@.service and add a symbolic link to it from /etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/xinit@diego.service.

Offline

#98 2011-01-23 14:13:34

stefano.facchini
Member
Registered: 2010-11-12
Posts: 24

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

falconindy wrote:
stefano.facchini wrote:

Hi,
in the old rc.sysvinit script there are some lines which remove tempfiles in /tmp and few other locations. After switching to systemd my /tmp directory is full of stuff so probabily systemd has nothing similar. Is there a way to add that part of the script to systemd in some way?

This is still present in systemd. Look in /etc/tmpfiles.d/.

The systemd.conf contains this line

d /tmp 1777 root root 10d

According to the man page, everything older than 10 days should be deleted from /tmp, but my /tmp actually contains stuff much older than that. Maybe I have to enable some service?

Offline

#99 2011-01-23 20:58:55

vostok4
Member
Registered: 2010-12-16
Posts: 61

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

First off, falconindy: THANK YOU. Awesome work here, systemd truly is something special in my opinion, a very practical and proper approach to solving the thrash that is system initialization.

I have some questions, I just switched from systemd-git to systemd from AUR to get v17 (was on some old git sync previously), so that is my version.

It seems like there is no net-auto-wireless unit, nor laptop-mode unit, however, from reading this thread I had thought that you were using the DAEMONS array to automatically start things from /etc/rc.d when they did not have a unit defined? Since right now I still have to manually /etc/rc.d/net-auto-wireless start if I want that service to start.

If I wanted to write units for this, would I fork your git repo and then create pull requests after the commits have been added (I've never pushed commits up so I'm a little new to this smile)

Also, how come there are packages initscripts-systemd-git and systemd-arch-units since both seem to provide units for systemd... shouldn't initscripts-systemd-git be merged into systemd-arch-units at some point?

Again, thank you! Hopefully I can submit some units to help out.

Offline

#100 2011-01-23 21:45:15

falconindy
Developer
From: New York, USA
Registered: 2009-10-22
Posts: 4,094
Website

Re: systemd: Yet Another Init Replacement

vostok4 wrote:

First off, falconindy: THANK YOU. Awesome work here, systemd truly is something special in my opinion, a very practical and proper approach to solving the thrash that is system initialization.

I have some questions, I just switched from systemd-git to systemd from AUR to get v17 (was on some old git sync previously), so that is my version.

It seems like there is no net-auto-wireless unit, nor laptop-mode unit, however, from reading this thread I had thought that you were using the DAEMONS array to automatically start things from /etc/rc.d when they did not have a unit defined? Since right now I still have to manually /etc/rc.d/net-auto-wireless start if I want that service to start.

This is supposed to be triggered by arch-daemons.target. We may still have some bugs to hunt down...

vostok4 wrote:

If I wanted to write units for this, would I fork your git repo and then create pull requests after the commits have been added (I've never pushed commits up so I'm a little new to this smile)

Fork me on Github, commit to your fork, send me a pull request.

vostok4 wrote:

Also, how come there are packages initscripts-systemd-git and systemd-arch-units since both seem to provide units for systemd... shouldn't initscripts-systemd-git be merged into systemd-arch-units at some point?

Again, thank you! Hopefully I can submit some units to help out.

initscripts-systemd provides more than just unit files. It's more like gluework to bind Arch's BSD'ish init config framework to systemd. On the other hand, systemd-arch-units is just a massive collection of unit files -- all of which should be getting distributed by either upstream, or by the individual packages that they belong to. If anything, I'd rather see systemd-arch-units disappear.

Last edited by falconindy (2011-01-23 21:45:54)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB