You are not logged in.

#301 2011-04-12 21:49:37

milomouse
Website

Re: luakit browser framework (almost with jQuery!)

bratmaxe wrote:

Just one more general question (not only affecting luakit). I had to realize that some SSL protected sites like the archwiki and github fail to load the page design, so only the text is displayed. This seems to affect all webkit browsers except chromium. I found some threads here in the forum pointing out that this has to do with some "rc4" encryption, which is probably stated as unsecure by webkit. Is there any workaround availible yet to load those content anyway?

That's good to know, I thought I had messed something up but couldn't figure out what.  I too would like to know if there's anything to be done about this, if this is indeed the problem as to why some SSL sites only show text and not pictures (archwiki .. github).  I don't remember always having this problem though.

#302 2011-04-12 22:10:06

bratmaxe

That's the thread I found about it: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=111868
For me it sounds to be the same issue, but I'm not sure about that.

Edit: I tried MkFly's workaround-script for the archwiki in the linked thread, and this makes the wiki load correctly.

Last edited by bratmaxe (2011-04-12 22:41:24)

#303 2011-04-13 00:31:38

bratmaxe

Great (or not so great) News: I found the solution in this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=115851
The page loading fails because of a bug in the new gnutls version. I downgraded to 2.10.5-1 and this fixes it.

Last edited by bratmaxe (2011-04-13 00:32:54)

#304 2011-04-13 01:18:34

moneylcj

i can't click(no function after clicking)the check-box and submit button on the webpage,
eg. https://bbs.archlinux.org/login.php
checkbox "Log me in automatically each time I visit"
submit button "Login"

how can i do it.

#305 2011-04-13 01:54:41

mason.larobina
Website

SuNjACk wrote:

I have a problem: sometimes the graphical menu (the menu come with right-click) make luakit chrash and block the wm (I use Awesome)

The only way is to kill luakit from tty

What version of webkit-gtk are you using? (this has been reported before and it turned out to be a problem with a fairly recent webkit-gtk version).

#306 2011-04-13 04:07:01

sironitomas
Website

I haven't tried luakit since a few months ago. It changed a lot (in a positive way). Some of the thinks I most noticed are:

- Super responsive
- Better memory management
- Qmarks (are awesome)
- More doccumentation in the wiki

Thanks for develop this project. It gets better and better each day.

Best Regards!

#307 2011-04-13 06:13:02

milomouse
Website

bratmaxe wrote:

Great (or not so great) News: I found the solution in this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=115851
The page loading fails because of a bug in the new gnutls version. I downgraded to 2.10.5-1 and this fixes it.

Great (or maybe not; we'll find out)!  I knew it happened only [relatively] recently but wasn't able to backtrace it to a date, checking depends and log.  Regardless, downgrading to 2.10.5, my pages look good again.  Thanks!

@topic:
I recently installed "jre" (Java Runtime Environment), which I never had installed on this box before, and I get an error when trying to load a page with a java applet.

W: luakit: luaH_dofunction:104: error while running function
stack traceback:
    /etc/xdg/luakit/webview.lua:163: in function </etc/xdg/luakit/webview.lua:158>
error: /etc/xdg/luakit/webview.lua:163: bad argument #1 to 'match' (string expected, got nil)
#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fff5e7932d1, pid=11620, tid=140737353922784
#
# JRE version: 6.0_24-b07
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (19.1-b02 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# J  java.lang.String.hashCode()I
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /howl/down/compare_applet/hs_err_pid11620.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
[1]    11620 abort      luakit comparePage.html

I [reluctantly] installed Firefox just to test the same page and it works fine there.  I also tried with OpenJdk6 (with icedtea-web) but that doesn't seem to work on any browser I have (although it is acknowledged to load but nothing happens) where "jre" at least works with Firefox so I'll continue to try with "jre".  Any ideas, anyone?

Last edited by milomouse (2011-04-13 06:14:35)

#308 2011-04-13 14:34:18

SuNjACk

mason.larobina wrote:
SuNjACk wrote:

I have a problem: sometimes the graphical menu (the menu come with right-click) make luakit chrash and block the wm (I use Awesome)

What version of webkit-gtk are you using? (this has been reported before and it turned out to be a problem with a fairly recent webkit-gtk version).

the version is 1.3.13-1 from the gnome-unstable repo

Is this version that cause problems?

#309 2011-04-13 16:36:44

mason.larobina
Website

New luakit release 2011.04.13

This is a bugfix release (plus a few extras) which fixes a serious memory leak found in 2011.04.04, eveything should be back to normal.

Check out the changelog here:

http://luakit.org/news/6

Or browse the luakit-2011.04.13 source code here:

https://github.com/mason-larobina/luaki … 2011.04.13

Or download the luakit-2011.04.13 source tarball from here:

https://github.com/mason-larobina/luaki … 2011.04.13

Enjoy guys.

Last edited by mason.larobina (2011-04-13 16:45:57)

#310 2011-04-13 18:17:37

milomouse
Website

SuNjACk wrote:
mason.larobina wrote:
SuNjACk wrote:

Most likely.  I had the same problem with 1.3.12 and 1.3.11.  Currently using 1.3.9, which seems to be the most stable of the development builds.

#311 2011-04-13 19:31:45

SuNjACk

milomouse wrote:
SuNjACk wrote:
mason.larobina wrote:

Most likely.  I had the same problem with 1.3.12 and 1.3.11.  Currently using 1.3.9, which seems to be the most stable of the development builds.

And where can I found it?

#312 2011-04-13 20:01:36

milomouse
Website

@SuNjACk:  webkitgtk.org/webkit-1.3.9.tar.gz   or you might be able to find it on an out-of-sync mirror (see Arch Wiki for "downgrading packages") if you don't want to compile yourself.

#313 2011-04-14 06:18:13

kli

The new update solved the memory leak problem. I can browse now without serious memory overflow. Deleted the cookie jar also.

Speed dial works as described on the homepage, confirmed :-)
As a matter of fact, I did not want to install cutycapt because of the qt dependencies. So I made a fake CutyCapt file in the path, and made manually thumbs of the favorite pages ,and corrected the path in the favs file.

Mason, thank you again :-)

#314 2011-04-14 07:31:53

Army

This RAM usage problem is solved here as well, now I can go back to luakit and test the new cookie features. Mason, are these changes included in luakit-develop-git? I tried to globally disallow cookies with the cookies.blacklist file, but it didn't work, so I was wondering if I made a mistake or if the changes aren't included there.

#315 2011-04-14 12:56:48

mason.larobina
Website

Army wrote:

This RAM usage problem is solved here as well, now I can go back to luakit and test the new cookie features. Mason, are these changes included in luakit-develop-git? I tried to globally disallow cookies with the cookies.blacklist file, but it didn't work, so I was wondering if I made a mistake or if the changes aren't included there.

Sorry the cookie changes aren't in develop yet as I wanted to get some feedback on whether the optional name/path matching was useful enough to justify the extra code complexity in the cookie filtering lib.

You need to checkout the cookie-filtering branch.

Let me know how it goes.

Edit: and check the commit text for information about the filtering patterns/setup.

Last edited by mason.larobina (2011-04-14 13:00:31)

#316 2011-04-14 19:19:40

Army

Ok. Since I'm no git expert, just to be sure, is it right to do the checkout via

git clone -b cookie-filtering git://github.com/mason-larobina/luakit.git

? And what do I have to do with

-- Set cookie acceptance policy
cookie_policy = { always = 0, never = 1, no_third_party = 2 }
soup.set_property("accept-policy", cookie_policy.always)

from globals.lua?

The reason why I'm asking so idiotic, I put d* into the cookie.blacklist, but cookies are still allowed. Before I tried anything I renamed .config/luakit and .local/share/luakit so luakit runs completely fresh.

Last edited by Army (2011-04-14 19:20:13)

#317 2011-04-14 22:28:13

mason.larobina
Website

Army wrote:

Ok. Since I'm no git expert, just to be sure, is it right to do the checkout via

git clone -b cookie-filtering git://github.com/mason-larobina/luakit.git

? And what do I have to do with

-- Set cookie acceptance policy
cookie_policy = { always = 0, never = 1, no_third_party = 2 }
soup.set_property("accept-policy", cookie_policy.always)

from globals.lua?

The reason why I'm asking so idiotic, I put d* into the cookie.blacklist, but cookies are still allowed. Before I tried anything I renamed .config/luakit and .local/share/luakit so luakit runs completely fresh.

Ok it seems there is a problem actually expiring cookies in the cookie jar, I'll have to look into it when I get home from work.

#318 2011-04-16 11:53:17

jakob

Wow, what an excellent piece of software! After uzbl being strangely slow opening new tabs (however, my system isn’t the newest one neither) luakit gives me snappy feedback, comes with what I most expect from a browser already included and feels great!

However, I have to questions:

• following:
Is it intended that the hints given when hitting ›f‹ go — like on this ›post a reply‹ site — like this: 01 02 03 11 12 13 21 22 23 31? I am a NEO user, therefore have ›123‹ on the 4th level of my homerow (qwertz jkl keys); this is quite comfortable for me, though it doesn’t strike me as too logical having these huge gaps in the numbers.

I think it was already mentioned in this thread, but I’d like to second that being able to define one’s own hinting keys might really be an interesting thing to have!

• bookmarks:
If I’m not mistaken, there are two ways of defining ›shortcuts‹ to webpages: a) bookmarks and b) quickmarks. Quickmarks are meant to be only 1-grams, right? I would really enjoy to be able to define 2-, 3-, or even 4-grams for bookmarks, or did I miss a possibility to do this in luakit?

Thank you again for so actively developing such a great program, I really appreciate this!

Jakob

edit: a third thing: I just found the Beginner Guide in the wiki where there is a recommendation to create a userconf.lua to save all customizations (http://luakit.org/projects/luakit/wiki/BeginnerGuide)

Is this method still supported/recommended with the many *.lua files?

The following userconf (invoked right before the end of the user scripts section in my rc.lua) causes problems:

------------------------------------------------------------------- binds.lua 
menu_binds = {
-- Navigate items: 
    key({},          "h",       function (w) w.menu:move_down() end)
}
jakob@schreibtisch> luakit
./userconf.lua:4: attempt to call global 'key' (a nil value)
E: luakit: main:177: no windows spawned by rc file, exiting
zsh: exit 1     luakit

Am I missing something here?

Last edited by jakob (2011-04-16 12:44:27)

#319 2011-04-16 18:06:03

mason.larobina
Website

jakob wrote:

Wow, what an excellent piece of software! After uzbl being strangely slow opening new tabs (however, my system isn’t the newest one neither) luakit gives me snappy feedback, comes with what I most expect from a browser already included and feels great!

However, I have to questions:

• following:
Is it intended that the hints given when hitting ›f‹ go — like on this ›post a reply‹ site — like this: 01 02 03 11 12 13 21 22 23 31? I am a NEO user, therefore have ›123‹ on the 4th level of my homerow (qwertz jkl keys); this is quite comfortable for me, though it doesn’t strike me as too logical having these huge gaps in the numbers.

We are still trying to find the best default `make_labels` function for everyone, there are a few options (like follow.reverse_labels and follow.sort_labels) but we could do with a legacy function which replicates the old behaviour.

jakob wrote:

I think it was already mentioned in this thread, but I’d like to second that being able to define one’s own hinting keys might really be an interesting thing to have!

I'll include a make_lables function in the default follow.lua which allows you to define your own follow keys. ETA: Soon.

jakob wrote:

• bookmarks:
If I’m not mistaken, there are two ways of defining ›shortcuts‹ to webpages: a) bookmarks and b) quickmarks. Quickmarks are meant to be only 1-grams, right? I would really enjoy to be able to define 2-, 3-, or even 4-grams for bookmarks, or did I miss a possibility to do this in luakit?

Bookmarks could be better but quickmarks are only suited for "1-grams". What we need is general completion working with bookmark keywords. 

jakob wrote:

Thank you again for so actively developing such a great program, I really appreciate this!

Jakob

edit: a third thing: I just found the Beginner Guide in the wiki where there is a recommendation to create a userconf.lua to save all customizations (http://luakit.org/projects/luakit/wiki/BeginnerGuide)

Is this method still supported/recommended with the many *.lua files?

That beginners guide is in it's very early stages but yes it is good practice (considering how often the config changes) to keep all your modifications in a separate file (like a userconf.lua).

jakob wrote:

The following userconf (invoked right before the end of the user scripts section in my rc.lua) causes problems:

------------------------------------------------------------------- binds.lua 
menu_binds = {
-- Navigate items: 
    key({},          "h",       function (w) w.menu:move_down() end)
}
jakob@schreibtisch> luakit
./userconf.lua:4: attempt to call global 'key' (a nil value)
E: luakit: main:177: no windows spawned by rc file, exiting
zsh: exit 1     luakit

Am I missing something here?

Yep, `key` is the local alias of the `lousy.bind.key` function in most of the config files (same with buf, but, all and cmd). Add this line `local key = lousy.bind.key` before the table and everything should work.

If you have any more problems let me know, I'm more than happy to help solve them (either here, mailing list or on IRC).

#320 2011-04-16 22:09:34

bratmaxe

How can I overwrite keybindings by the userconf.lua? Adding new keys works but if I try to change a keybinding this way, the value in the userconf.lua is ignored.

The require invocation is on bottom of the rc.lua as suggested.

Last edited by bratmaxe (2011-04-16 22:26:37)

#321 2011-04-17 03:29:28

mason.larobina
Website

bratmaxe wrote:

How can I overwrite keybindings by the userconf.lua? Adding new keys works but if I try to change a keybinding this way, the value in the userconf.lua is ignored.

The require invocation is on bottom of the rc.lua as suggested.

You need to call add_binds with a third argument of `true` to make the add_binds func insert your bindings before the originals. Example: 

add_binds("normal", { binds }, true)

#322 2011-04-17 12:52:15

bratmaxe

That does the trick. Thank you. Now I stop questioning and enjoy this great browser smile Thanks again for sharing it!

#323 2011-04-17 13:08:12

r6

Mason - thanks for the help with keeping all tabs in the one instance. It mostly works, although I do get the odd stray new window when clicking links on my facebook wall.

Also, in the just the past week or so, (I do a git pull of luakit most days), I've had no css styles on both github and the arch wiki. I tried building a fresh copy of luakit and it still happened.

must read threads before posting. thx bratmaxe

Last edited by r6 (2011-04-20 08:10:01)

#324 2011-04-17 13:13:32

bratmaxe

@r6 : The css style problems are caused by a bug in the new gnutls version, you need to downgrade it to 2.10.5-1.
Details: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=115851

#325 2011-04-18 06:09:19

mason.larobina
Website

At long last I've installed doxygen and begun the work to fully document the current API.

You can find the (in progress) luakit API reference manual here:

http://doc.luakit.org/html/

Note however that the only file to be completely document is `clib/sqlite3.c`, found here:

http://doc.luakit.org/html/sqlite3_8c.html

As an example of things to come.

Could I now take this opportunity to invite anybody who has previously contributed code to luakit API to make another guest appearance documenting the functions and or files they've added. It would be much appreciated, thank you.

Regards,

Mason.

Board footer