You are not logged in.

#726 2011-12-23 22:14:32

jomasti

Re: luakit browser framework (almost with jQuery!)

mkaito wrote:

Would anyone know why I can place

webview.init_funcs.window_decision = function (view, w) [...]

in rc.lua and have it work just fine, but it won't work in mine.lua (required from rc.lua)?

What all do you have in mine.lua? And what do you mean by it won't work? Is it a silent error?

Last edited by jomasti (2011-12-23 22:17:57)

#727 2011-12-24 02:20:11

mkaito
Website

jomasti wrote:
mkaito wrote:

Would anyone know why I can place

webview.init_funcs.window_decision = function (view, w) [...]

in rc.lua and have it work just fine, but it won't work in mine.lua (required from rc.lua)?

What all do you have in mine.lua? And what do you mean by it won't work? Is it a silent error?

It doesn't seem to fail, or produce an error. It simply... doesn't work. It's meant to force all links that request new windows to open in a new tab instead. It works just fine if I place it in rc.lua, but rien de rien when I place it in mine.lua, which is required at the bottom of rc.lua. Just for the record, everything else in mine.lua works fine. Mysterious stuff.

Below, my entire mine.lua:

-- Global config                                                                                                                               
globals.check_filepath = false                                                                                                                 
globals.homepage = "about:blank"                                                                                                               
search_engines.yubnub = "http://yubnub.org/parser/parse?command=%s"                                                                            
search_engines.default = search_engines.yubnub                                                                                                 

-- Lefty follow hints                                                                                                                          
local s = follow.styles                                                                                                                        
follow.style = s.sort(s.reverse(s.charset("asdfqwerzxcv")))                                                                                    

-- Always save browsing session, no matter what.                                                                                               
local close_win = window.methods.close_win                                                                                                     
window.methods.close_win = function (w, ...)                                                                                                   
                              session.save{w}                                                                                                  
                              close_win(w, ...)                                                                                                
                           end                                                                                                                 

-- Open all new window requests in new tabs                                                                                                    
webview.init_funcs.window_decision = function (view, w)                                                                                        
                                        view:add_signal("new-window-decision", function (v, uri, reason)                                       
                                                                                  w:new_tab(uri)                                               
                                                                                  return true                                                  
                                                                               end)                                                            
                                     end                                                                                                       

webview.init_funcs.set_win_trans = function (view, w) -- show GTK the background color                                                         
                                      view.transparent = true                                                                                  
                                   end                                                                                                         

-- Download location configuration                                                                                                             
downloads.default_dir = os.getenv("HOME") .. "/Downloads"                                                                                      
downloads.add_signal("download-location", function (uri, file)                                                                                 
                                             if not file or file == "" then                                                                    
                                                file = (string.match(uri, "/([^/]+)$")                                                         
                                                     or string.match(uri, "^%w+://(.+)")                                                       
                                                  or string.gsub(uri, "/", "_")                                                                
                                               or "untitled")                                                                                  
                                             end                                                                                               

-- Add filetype specific handlers here                                                            
                                             if file:find(".*%.torrent$") then                                                                 
                                                return os.getenv("HOME") .. "/.torrent/watch/" .. file                                         
                                             end                                                                                               

return downloads.default_dir .. "/" .. file                                                       
                                          end)                                                                                                 

print("mine.lua correctly loaded, it seems.")

Fear me! I have root! Sometimes...

#728 2011-12-24 07:49:27

jomasti

mkaito wrote:

It works just fine if I place it in rc.lua, but rien de rien when I place it in mine.lua, which is required at the bottom of rc.lua. Just for the record, everything else in mine.lua works fine. Mysterious stuff.

I tested your mine.lua with the same approach of requiring it at the bottom, and it didn't work. At least, it didn't work for the first tab. If I used the second tab, it loaded the new window link into a tab. If I moved the require line above the two default functions in rc.lua with the other require lines, it worked fine anytime. I don't know if it is a scoping issue or what (I haven't used Lua enough to know), but it seems the require line has to be in that location.

#729 2011-12-24 15:03:24

el mariachi

Using luakit-git (although stable version is the same), I notice that history tab-completion is slow and that, after the results are shown, navigating through them is also very slow (hitting tab to select other options). Also sites with lot's of java like facebook work very slowly, but that's most likely a java issue no? How can I provide more detailed info?

#730 2011-12-24 15:10:38

mkaito
Website

jomasti wrote:
mkaito wrote:

It works just fine if I place it in rc.lua, but rien de rien when I place it in mine.lua, which is required at the bottom of rc.lua. Just for the record, everything else in mine.lua works fine. Mysterious stuff.

I tested your mine.lua with the same approach of requiring it at the bottom, and it didn't work. At least, it didn't work for the first tab. If I used the second tab, it loaded the new window link into a tab. If I moved the require line above the two default functions in rc.lua with the other require lines, it worked fine anytime. I don't know if it is a scoping issue or what (I haven't used Lua enough to know), but it seems the require line has to be in that location.

I can't really see anything to justify a scoping issue, but I'm no LUA wizard either. Moving the require line fixed the issue, for whatever reason. Thanks for finding it, this had been bugging me for weeks.

#731 2011-12-24 15:11:51

mkaito
Website

el mariachi wrote:

Using luakit-git (although stable version is the same), I notice that history tab-completion is slow and that, after the results are shown, navigating through them is also very slow (hitting tab to select other options). Also sites with lot's of java like facebook work very slowly, but that's most likely a java issue no? How can I provide more detailed info?

I've also noticed some sluggishness recently. Also, Java =/= Javascript. The stuff on web sites is generally Javascript.

#732 2011-12-27 15:22:35

Hiram
Website

I've been using Luakit for about 2 days, and I think it's generally pretty awesome, except it's quite unstable for me. Does anyone else experience any instability? Luakit for me, crashes at least 3-4 times a day.

#733 2011-12-27 16:55:39

mkaito
Website

Hiram wrote:

I've been using Luakit for about 2 days, and I think it's generally pretty awesome, except it's quite unstable for me. Does anyone else experience any instability? Luakit for me, crashes at least 3-4 times a day.

Never crashed on me so far.

#734 2011-12-27 17:23:57

Army

The crashes are caused by the latest libwebkit. The previous version was much more stable. Today I tried epiphany, because it uses libwebkit3. I wanted to see, if this is as unstable as libwebkit. It's not, it's much better! Libwebkit for Gtk2 is gonna be unmaintained in future releases, so this is the best timing for Luakit to switch to libwebkit3. Are there plans for this?

#735 2011-12-27 17:27:10

el mariachi

hear hear!

#736 2011-12-28 04:27:58

Hiram
Website

I think moving to libwebkit3 is a great idea. In the mean time, how old of a release of libwebkit should I find+install for stability?

Edit: I've got it compiling + running with libwebkit3, gtk3 and unique-3.0, if anyone is interested. A few problems though! I'm not a C/Gtk guy so I've no doubt introduced a few bugs. Most notably, there are no scrollbars, and the command field at the bottom doesn't come up.

I haven't looked into fixing those problems too much, my main intent was to get luakit compiling with libwebkit3 etc, to see if the stability improved for me. I can still get my segfault happening, so libwebkit3 still has the same bug I'm encountering, which obviously sucks. But still, I think libwebkit3 is worth looking into for the future.

Last edited by Hiram (2011-12-28 07:01:07)

#737 2011-12-28 09:05:01

mason.larobina
Website

Hiram wrote:

I think moving to libwebkit3 is a great idea. In the mean time, how old of a release of libwebkit should I find+install for stability?

Edit: I've got it compiling + running with libwebkit3, gtk3 and unique-3.0, if anyone is interested. A few problems though! I'm not a C/Gtk guy so I've no doubt introduced a few bugs. Most notably, there are no scrollbars, and the command field at the bottom doesn't come up.

I haven't looked into fixing those problems too much, my main intent was to get luakit compiling with libwebkit3 etc, to see if the stability improved for me. I can still get my segfault happening, so libwebkit3 still has the same bug I'm encountering, which obviously sucks. But still, I think libwebkit3 is worth looking into for the future.

I am certainly interested, shoot me an email or fork on github and I'll set up a branch for the move to libwebkit3, gtk3 and unique-3.0 (which may actually be un-needed as it's included in gtk3 as the GtkApplication class though I haven't looked into that much yet).

#738 2011-12-28 10:08:13

Army

I was hoping that libwebkit3 is more stable, because there's one action which always causes a crash: Go on facebook, search for a person / group (whatever) and then click on one of the search results in the dropdown menu => crash. This doesn't happen with epiphany, which uses libwebkit3. @Hiram, on what sites does your browser crash?

Also, with the latest libwebkit the follow hints function got a LOT slower! I used to have a 1,7GHz single core laptop (32bit installation), now I have a 2x 2,3GHz core2duo laptop (64bit installation). On the new laptop I don't see the slowdown, I guess that's why most of you guys also don't see it, because those old weak computers aren't around that much anymore.

I'd be happy to try the branch with all the v3 dependencies.

#739 2011-12-28 10:32:13

portix

Army wrote:

I was hoping that libwebkit3 is more stable, because there's one action which always causes a crash: Go on facebook, search for a person / group (whatever) and then click on one of the search results in the dropdown menu => crash. This doesn't happen with epiphany, which uses libwebkit3.

This seems to be a luakit bug, i can reproduce it with luakit but cannot reproduce it with the gtk2 version of dwb.
But libwebkit3 is more stable since it doesn't support flash and many crashes are caused by flash.

Last edited by portix (2011-12-28 10:49:12)

#740 2011-12-28 10:38:41

ri

Army wrote:

I was hoping that libwebkit3 is more stable, because there's one action which always causes a crash: Go on facebook, search for a person / group (whatever) and then click on one of the search results in the dropdown menu => crash. This doesn't happen with epiphany, which uses libwebkit3. @Hiram, on what sites does your browser crash?

Also, with the latest libwebkit the follow hints function got a LOT slower! I used to have a 1,7GHz single core laptop (32bit installation), now I have a 2x 2,3GHz core2duo laptop (64bit installation). On the new laptop I don't see the slowdown, I guess that's why most of you guys also don't see it, because those old weak computers aren't around that much anymore.

I'd be happy to try the branch with all the v3 dependencies.

For me it works (most time) to open in new tab. When dropdown menu appears I use dubbletap on my touchpad then wait a couple of second before changing tab.

I got two questions while I'm at it:

1) Am I the only one experience rather slow respons while tabbing through history? You know :open bbs.arch[tab][tab]... I've tried delete history and cookies without result.

2) What's the result of private browsing with luakit? The only result I'm experience is that titles is not present when :open [tab]. But visitet urls are shown both there and in :history. Is this how it's supposed to be?

At last: keep up the good work. Luakit is my favorite browser of all time, and belive me I've tried many smile

#741 2011-12-28 10:48:53

el mariachi

@ri: As I've stated in an earlier post I also experience a slow response while tabbing through history. Some other people also mentioned that.

#742 2011-12-28 11:24:13

Army

I can reproduce this in surf, which I use for facebook (facebook is completely blocked in luakit), so I guess it's not caused by luakit. Also, this didn't happen with the version of libwebkit before the current one (v1.3.4 iirc)

#743 2011-12-28 11:25:44

Army

ri wrote:

1) Am I the only one experience rather slow respons while tabbing through history? You know :open bbs.arch[tab][tab]... I've tried delete history and cookies without result.

That's not slow here, but what's slow is :open bbs.arch[tab][backspace] (to e.g. replace .org with .de or something like that)

#744 2011-12-28 12:00:24

portix

Army wrote:

I can reproduce this in surf, which I use for facebook (facebook is completely blocked in luakit), so I guess it's not caused by luakit. Also, this didn't happen with the version of libwebkit before the current one (v1.3.4 iirc)

It seems to be caused by webkit, but the same segfault occurs with libwebkit3. I just tested it with a minimal webkit browser and it both crashed with the gtk2 and gtk3 version. I don't why this doesn't happen with epiphany and dwb.

Edit: it seems to be webkits builtin cookie handling, if i compile dwb without cookie support it also crashes.

Last edited by portix (2011-12-28 12:06:02)

#745 2011-12-28 14:09:49

Hiram
Website

mason.larobina wrote:
Hiram wrote:

I am certainly interested, shoot me an email or fork on github and I'll set up a branch for the move to libwebkit3, gtk3 and unique-3.0 (which may actually be un-needed as it's included in gtk3 as the GtkApplication class though I haven't looked into that much yet).

I've got it up here: https://github.com/nathan-hoad/luakit/tree/webkit3. I've seen, at least once, output on the terminal saying that G_IS_OBJECT returned false for a particular object, but I didn't look into it too much. I imagine it's to do with this line. Sorry I can't be of more help, I've never worked with Gtk in C!

I know for sure I've broken an event callback, which I've marked with a XXX. (line 194 in widgets/entry.c). I've noted a few things in the commit message as well. Hopefully what I've done is of help!

Army wrote:

That's actually what my browser is crashing on! It's quite nice having a reliably reproducible bug. I guess, haha.

Army wrote:

I can reproduce with UZBL as well. Definitely not luakit!

Last edited by Hiram (2011-12-28 14:10:27)

#746 2011-12-28 14:55:09

ri

Army wrote:
ri wrote:

That's not slow here, but what's slow is :open bbs.arch[tab][backspace] (to e.g. replace .org with .de or something like that)

Yep, that's really slow too.

I wish I could help more but my knowledge in C and Lua is very basic hmm

#747 2012-01-14 17:14:18

skeerly

Luakit returns "notrust" on all secure pages I visit, even though these certificates are accepted by other applications. A similar problem was reported on this thread six months ago (#585) and at luakit.org (Bug #110) but I haven't seen anything since.

Since no one else is complaining, I think I must have configured something wrong. I looked at the luakit.log but didn't see anything helpful. On this page it shows:

#748 2012-01-19 10:30:01

el mariachi

Is anyone experiencing problems with facebook? my cpu usage spikes whenever a facebook tab is selected and it gets very slow and unresponsive. I'm using verynice, but that would affect all sites right?

Also: www.8tracks.com doesn't play any music. It works with chromium and midori.
console output:

** Message: console message:  @1: Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL http://8tracks.com/nettelives/wow-i-may-feel-even-more-epic?mix_set_id=11137803 from frame with URL https://plusone.google.com/_/+1/fastbutton?url=http%3A%2F%2F8tracks.com%2Fnettelives%2Fwow-i-may-feel-even-more-epic&size=medium&count=true&annotation=&hl=en-US&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fwidget%2F__features__%2Frt%3Dj%2Fver%3Dde7ShlfPPF4.en.%2Fsv%3D1%2Fam%3D!6w1g-FwOybyIp0bjIg%2Fd%3D1%2F#id=I1_1326969234343&parent=http%3A%2F%2F8tracks.com&rpctoken=337516998&_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_resizeMe. Domains, protocols and ports must match.

Last edited by el mariachi (2012-01-19 10:33:17)

#749 2012-01-19 14:24:23

skeerly

My problem with "notrust" (comment #747) was solved by installing libgnome-keyring. I had neglected to do it. It took me a while to figure it out.

#750 2012-01-26 12:04:09

Army

Is luakit still developed? Just wondering, since there hasn't been any action in the last weeks / months.

Board footer