You are not logged in.

#176 2011-01-15 18:52:14

silenc3r

Re: luakit browser framework (almost with jQuery!)

vanvalium wrote:

I click on an input field and have to press i to go to insert mode (works fine in conkeror, dunno about pentadactyl or vimperator).
Or is it like that on purpose? Haven't checked the source/configs yet.

After clicking on an input field you're going to use your keyboard anyway, so there's not much of a hassle. I wish pentadactyl has this feature (maybe it has, I didn't checked documentation tbh).

#177 2011-01-15 19:36:48

jwbirdsong

vanvalium
Which version/branch are you using?
luakit, luakit-git, or  luakit-develop-git?

I get "instant" insert mode w/ all 3 just by clicking in the an input field (no pressing on 'i' needed.

Make sure your configs are up to date "cp /etc/xdg/luakit/*  ~/.config/luakit/" 
IF you keep/use the configs in ~/config/luakit/  you'll need to do this after every update.

ADDED NOTE to anyone reading and think of installing luakit.
Do NOT let the name -git dissuade you from using this branch... it is PLENTY stable; as is the -develop-git.

Last edited by jwbirdsong (2011-01-15 19:54:14)

PLEASE read and try to FIX/FILE BUGS instead of assuming other have/will.

#178 2011-01-16 20:57:56

hellnest
Website

Well, i must admit this browser is run fast and resource friendly ^,^, When will bookmarks support available? i'm running development version right nw smile and it replace FF & Chromium on my machine

roll Snapping my own life roll
hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#179 2011-01-17 04:19:58

Xlator

Luakit is fast becoming my favourite browser. Since I finally managed to compile it on my Powerbook running ArchPPC, it has now replaced jumanji. Also got userscripts working with a little help from Mason himself on IRC. Thanks, and keep up the good work with this great browser.

My only problem is getting downloads to a standard location without getting prompted every time, but that's a minor annoyance. Working around that with copy/paste and wget for now. smile

#180 2011-01-17 06:47:02

Army

hellnest wrote:

Well, i must admit this browser is run fast and resource friendly ^,^, When will bookmarks support available? i'm running development version right nw smile and it replace FF & Chromium on my machine

Press 'B' to create a bookmark and press 'gb' to view all your bookmarks.

#181 2011-01-17 06:52:53

hellnest
Website

Army wrote:
hellnest wrote:

Press 'B' to create a bookmark and press 'gb' to view all your bookmarks.

Wow, thanks for your help. I was seaching on binds.lua but not found it before. ^^ it's work thanks once again

hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#182 2011-01-17 23:26:10

bootleg

Xlator wrote:

My only problem is getting downloads to a standard location without getting prompted every time, but that's a minor annoyance. Working around that with copy/paste and wget for now. smile

In your downloads.lua replace :

file = capi.luakit.save_file("Save file", w, default_dir, d.suggested_filename)

with :

file = default_dir .. "/" .. d.suggested_filename

in the add function.
default_dir is defined just before the function.

#183 2011-01-18 00:28:15

vanvalium

After clicking on an input field you're going to use your keyboard anyway, so there's not much of a hassle. I wish pentadactyl has this feature (maybe it has, I didn't checked documentation tbh).

it's still an annoying extra key I have to press

jwbirdsong wrote:

vanvalium
Which version/branch are you using?
luakit, luakit-git, or  luakit-develop-git?

I get "instant" insert mode w/ all 3 just by clicking in the an input field (no pressing on 'i' needed.

Make sure your configs are up to date "cp /etc/xdg/luakit/*  ~/.config/luakit/" 
IF you keep/use the configs in ~/config/luakit/  you'll need to do this after every update.

ADDED NOTE to anyone reading and think of installing luakit.
Do NOT let the name -git dissuade you from using this branch... it is PLENTY stable; as is the -develop-git.

thanks, after copying the configs it's fine
I didn't have time/motivation to play around with the configs yet so I never did that step
but it's all good now smile
luakit has become my favorite webkit browser

#184 2011-01-24 04:41:25

Berticus

is there a way to go through selection options in a pull-down menu with only the keyboard the way firefox does it? It kind of takes away from the whole keyboard driven feeling if for every pull-down menu I have to use my mouse.

#185 2011-01-26 19:21:27

hellnest
Website

hello, is that possible to change the homepage to local files? I was try but no luck

hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#186 2011-01-26 20:12:45

alterecco

hellnest wrote:

hello, is that possible to change the homepage to local files? I was try but no luck

homepage            = "file:///path/to/file",

note the triple slash at the start.

#187 2011-01-26 20:29:23

hellnest
Website

here's mine and didn't work, yeah i knew about triple slash

homepage                   "file:///home/hellnest/bin/startpage/startpage_v1.2/index.php",

big_smile ehehehe.. maybe because the extension is .php?

------------------
Update :

Lol, changing the extension to .html and it works like a charm. ^^ love this browser

Last edited by hellnest (2011-01-26 20:47:50)

hmmgithubhmm
coolMyBlogcool

#188 2011-01-27 04:51:25

Berticus

anybody have issues with luakit just eating up RAM with certain sites, like http://wikia.com?

---Edit---
specifically: http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Converting_tabs_to_spaces

Last edited by Berticus (2011-01-27 04:52:01)

#189 2011-01-27 17:36:53

bootleg

yep me too. I noticed that just on this site though.

#190 2011-01-27 18:06:44

mason.larobina
Website

Berticus wrote:

anybody have issues with luakit just eating up RAM with certain sites, like http://wikia.com?

---Edit---

It's more than likely a webkit-gtk bug, do the same sites fail in uzbl/jumanji/midori?

#191 2011-01-28 19:12:44

Berticus

ah, it does seem to be a problem for jumanji as well.

#192 2011-01-28 23:15:55

Army

All my browsers go crazy on myspace, e.g. http://www.myspace.com/unstucc even with disabled javascript and plugins. I only have 512mb of RAM. This leads to a completely unusable system. This happens with firefox and webkit browsers. Maybe wikia is the same crap?

#193 2011-01-29 15:36:42

bohoomil
Website

It's simply excellent. I use it with bfilter (which itself provides a handy way for system-wide ad blocking due to its ability to utilize AdBlock filters) and it works like a charm. It's stable, fast, and seems to be much more than it technically can be. A great piece of software and a great company for AwesomeWM. Thank you. smile

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#194 2011-01-29 16:20:30

fsckd
Forum Fellow

mason.larobina wrote:
Berticus wrote:

---Edit---

It's more than likely a webkit-gtk bug, do the same sites fail in uzbl/jumanji/midori?

Yes, but wikia works fine for me once I turn javascript off.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#195 2011-02-01 21:39:19

essence-of-foo

Thank you for this nice browser smile I'll probably switch from Opera.

I have a feature request: I need an option to disable gif-animation.

I'm using privoxy and gif-animation is stripped for most sites. But when I'm using a HTTPS connection privoxy can not alter the data stream. Therefore I need in-browser support for this feature.

Keep up the good work smile

#196 2011-02-02 00:18:14

quigybo

@essence-of-foo: You can write your own "navigation-request" and "resource-request-starting" handler functions to match the requested uri against a suitable pattern, returning false when it is a gif. Check out my (in progress) adblock branch for inspiration.

#197 2011-02-07 19:47:14

milomouse
Website

I tried Luakit a long time ago and figured I'd give it some time to mature, and now that I've returned I see that it's done so wonderfully. So, thank you, first and foremost, Luakit devs. (this post refers to luakit-git 20110205-1 AUR package --- # luakit -V  2010.12.25-r2)
My questions:
  1. As far as the tablist, I know I can comment out a line in the "windows.lua" file to remove it completely but I was wondering if it were possible to have a key toggle binding for that, or is that not possible due to how the attributes are loaded?

2. Link following; I've modified the colors, size, font, position, blah blah, but I can't figure out how to change it from numeric to alphabetic. Is this not possible with the current script in follow.lua? I'm not too familiar with javascript nor lua, so..  was hoping it would be something like JumNav where you can quickly follow with the home keys. Not big deal, anyway. I'll continue tampering with it, maybe try to merge them somehow.

3. >>my major qualm: key-binding ":q". Not matter if I change it in binds.lua it will still close all windows, even if I bind it to close_tab. I've looked everywhere but can't find where it's "higher up the ladder" where I'm able to change it. If I have multiple tabs open and hit ":q" (with bound to close_tab) it closes the entire Luakit browser, tabs and all. I've even removed the binding but it still does it, so obviously my binds.lua for that ":q" are not being respected, or am I not doing it right?

That's it, really. I'm using it now (did all my configuring last night) and can't remember or see any more I want to ask about. I thought I had more questions last night but oh well, hopefully I'll figure them out myself before I remember to come back here and ask, haha. Anyway, here's my tampering so far:
th_luakit.png

Thanks again! Will also look at this adblock branch. :}

edit: typo

Last edited by milomouse (2011-02-07 19:49:22)

#198 2011-02-08 15:04:08

essence-of-foo

2. Link following; I've modified the colors, size, font, position, blah blah, but I can't figure out how to change it from numeric to alphabetic. Is this not possible with the current script in follow.lua? I'm not too familiar with javascript nor lua, so..  was hoping it would be something like JumNav where you can quickly follow with the home keys. Not big deal, anyway. I'll continue tampering with it, maybe try to merge them somehow.

After pressing f or F, you can simply start typing some part of the link text. Once it is clear which link you want, luakit opens it automatically for you (so stop typing immediately!). To open a link with a green background press <enter>.

You can also combine letters and numbers: You first press some letter keys and then select one of the remanining links with the number keys.

#199 2011-02-08 19:09:37

milomouse
Website

@essence-of-foo: Yeah, that's sort of what I meant but not really. It's actually slower for me to do that, since I'll do "F" and watch the highlights and see the word "Today 10:04:08" as with your post, and as I type "today" it will narrow down with each letter but I have to watch to see if it's the last result or not because if I type it too fast I'll garble the command buffer with "day 10:04:08" before I realize it was the last result and opened in the background. If it highlights with alphabetic letters, say your link shows up as "jk" I know that just by typing "jk" it will open instead of wondering how many more letters I have to type it will be narrowed down enough to accept. My own problem, I guess, hah. No big deal, like I said. Thanks though.

My only real problem is still the ":q" closing all windows. I'll keep probing the .lua's.

Last edited by milomouse (2011-02-08 19:11:45)

#200 2011-02-08 19:15:01

hmo_gsm

milomouse wrote:

alternative characters for following hints

milomouse wrote:

3. >>my major qualm: key-binding ":q". Not matter if I change it in binds.lua it will still close all windows, even if I bind it to close_tab. I've looked everywhere but can't find where it's "higher up the ladder" where I'm able to change it. If I have multiple tabs open and hit ":q" (with bound to close_tab) it closes the entire Luakit browser, tabs and all. I've even removed the binding but it still does it, so obviously my binds.lua for that ":q" are not being respected, or am I not doing it right?

"d" closes a single tab ;o

HHNNNNGG | nyahahahaha *meow*

Board footer