You are not logged in.

#226 2010-08-13 08:56:01

Wittfella

Re: qtFM - Small, fast, light Qt filemanager

Yeah shetland nailed it smile  It was kinda tricky to 'add' another column, so I thought it was easier to replace the 'Type' column with the new info.  At the time I thought 'no-one uses that info anyway, its useless...", but I didn't think about sorting.

I'll have another go at adding a column and restoring the type column.

#227 2010-08-13 09:05:48

shetland_breeder
Website

Oh, I'm glad it's not just me who thinks the file-type is useless - especially since a lot of the time it's wrong wink

Pete

#228 2010-08-13 22:09:11

anonymous_user

I just noticed something minor: when qtfm renames a file (when you copy or move), it always adds the [1] before the period if there are any. So if you're copying a hidden file (period at the beginning), it will be renamed to [1].filename

Secondly, qtfm is not very smart. It always appends another [1] instead of making a [2], [3], etc.

#229 2010-08-14 14:44:15

anonymous_user

anonymous_user wrote:

7a. Enable drag and drop between windows and into folders.

I think dragging into folders only works in detail view. If Im in list or icon view, dragging always gives me the selection rectangle.

#230 2010-08-16 04:13:52

Wittfella

Changelog wrote:

2.5    16-August-2010
- added 'Type' column back in detail view.
- modified copy progress dialog, better display when copying multiple folders.
- fixed bug with Drag/Drop after swapping between list/icon modes.
- fixed bug in copy/paste and delete if all items selected with 'Ctrl-a'.

#231 2010-08-16 04:46:14

anonymous_user

Thanks for the release Wittfella. Also any news in regard to these previous posts?

anonymous_user wrote:

2. If I sort by type, the folders will be sorted randomly and not alphabetically, however the files will be sorted alphabetically. Also would be it possible to have folder first (before files)? Sorting by type makes the .gtkrc-2.0 file show first.

anonymous_user wrote:

2. Is it possible to make my mouse's backward/forward buttons work in qtfm?

6. For the bookmarks pane, is it possible to allow the user click across the entire pane instead of having to click near the item name:

http://omploader.org/vNTBudw/screenshot-1279858563.png

anonymous_user wrote:

8. When copying file(s) into a directory where a file already has the same name, qtfm should prompt the user to overwrite the files or if they prefer renaming the new files.

anonymous_user wrote:

BTW just something minor: in the context menu shouldn't the new file icon be next to the New file item? There is a separate new folder icon in many themes too.

Edit: I also noticed that if a file's extension is upper-case, its icon will become the generic text icon. Is that normal?

anonymous_user wrote:

I tried without quotes, with quotes, with single quotes and neither works. As for sudo, no I have not set it up, however I expect the terminal to still popup and prompt me.

Also I found out that using xterm -e nano %f does work; urxvt -e nano %f also works. Terminal does not work. Sakura popups and even shows nano but it doesn't open the file.

#232 2010-08-16 05:35:22

Wittfella

Forgot to add something to the changelog, I also changed the way it pastes hidden files, so it puts the [1] at the end.

anonymous_user wrote:

I also noticed that if a file's extension is upper-case, its icon will become the generic text icon. Is that normal?

I think I fixed that also a while back, the filetype icon should be correct now regardless of whether it's "pic.jpg" or "pic.JPG".  You might need to change your theme or delete the cache files for this to take effect.

anonymous_user wrote:

Is it possible to make my mouse's backward/forward buttons work in qtfm?

The 'back' function is using the standard system defined functionality so it should work if your mouse is configured.  I haven't tested it, I don't have a mouse with those buttons.  Forward is not implemented.

#233 2010-08-16 05:48:12

anonymous_user

Wittfella wrote:

The 'back' function is using the standard system defined functionality so it should work if your mouse is configured.

How do I know if my mouse is configured? FWIW the back/forwards buttons do work in Thunar.

#234 2010-08-17 16:08:54

anonymous_user

anonymous_user wrote:

I tried without quotes, with quotes, with single quotes and neither works. As for sudo, no I have not set it up, however I expect the terminal to still popup and prompt me.

Also I found out that using xterm -e nano %f does work; urxvt -e nano %f also works. Terminal does not work. Sakura popups and even shows nano but it doesn't open the file.

Ok I finally solved this. Changing it to "terminator -x nano %f" works.

#235 2010-08-18 18:19:24

karabaja4
Website

Okay, I've used qtfm some more and all looks very stable. I have just few minor annoyances to report:

- paste doesn't work right when there is no permission to paste, for example if I run qtfm as non-root and try to paste something into folder that is owned by root, when I click paste time is spent to paste (copy) the file and then nothing happens. There should be a message that says paste isn't allowed, right?

- file size column is vertically out of alignment (when using GTK+ in qtconfig and murrine themes, I dunno about others, I tried a few and it looks the same). For example:

tNTltdA

- copy/cut/paste in edit menu with "pressed" look seems funny. I know you tried to do that we see when file is actually copied/cutted so the button is displayed as pressed, but when I copy one file and I want to copy another over it, pressing a button in menu that is already pressed seems funny (I have a feeling that I'm going to unpress it). Also, I have no visual effect of pressing the button althrough the file is actually copied over the old one (the button is pressed). I think you should just make the buttons like the regular ones without the pressed feature.

- I know this is minor, but I find it so weird I have to mention it once more. In details view, it is so obvious that files are rearranged when a new instance of qtfm is opened. Is it possible to arrange the files before qtfm is opened (displayed)?

- on some png iconsets the icons inside the menus (File, Edit, View) are still screwed up. Seems like that old png/svg/whatever issue. Don't really care about this one but just a quick mention.

Wittfella, thanks for an amazing piece of software!

#236 2010-08-18 18:52:22

anonymous_user

Renaming files/folders where you have no permission also fails silently.

And I can confirm the file size column misalignment.

#237 2010-08-19 07:28:43

Wittfella

Fixed some stuff above.

Changelog wrote:

2.6    19-August-2010
- modified startup, faster loading of tree and detail data.
- modified cut/copy menu items, no longer toggles indication.
- fixed paste failed indication.
- fixed text alignment of size column in detail view.

#238 2010-08-19 07:38:57

archman-cro
Website

Wittfella wrote:
Changelog wrote:

- modified cut/copy menu items, no longer toggles indication.

Hmm, this one seemed cool, but I dunno if its existence is of any importance.
Cheers for the startup speed. Looks and runs ever better now. smile

#239 2010-08-19 12:22:50

karabaja4
Website

Nice. Some more details to iron:

- Paste now displays a failed message, but it still wastes time copying the (big) file in the folder in which it has no permissions.
- Startup is a bit faster, but files are still shown un-arranged in first 0.5 sec, then they arrange themselves. It's not a big deal, just for some reason seems unpolished. I'm not exacly sure why it even bothers me smile
- When no permissions, rename action doesn't display any kind of message, it just silently refuses to rename (not sure if it's intended that way?).
- If there are dots in a filename, and the duplicate of the file is copied over it, the [1] will go before the first dot instead of before the last one. For example: this.is.the.first.file.txt will look like this[1].is.the.first.file.txt instead of this.is.the.first.file[1].txt
- %n parameter in custom actions takes the filename to the first dot, so if the filename is this.is.the.first.file.txt the %n parameter will be "the" which is wrong - similar problem as above.
- custom actions that take time are not indicated anywhere that they are processing (for example compressing a large file). It would be nice if there were a small window indicating that action is in progress (something like indefinite copy progress).

Last edited by karabaja4 (2010-08-19 12:51:09)

#240 2010-08-19 13:56:18

anonymous_user

karabaja4 wrote:

- custom actions that take time are not indicated anywhere that they are processing (for example compressing a large file). It would be nice if there were a small window indicating that action is in progress (something like indefinite copy progress).

Wouldn't that have to be a feature of the programs you're using instead of qtfm?

#241 2010-08-19 14:38:30

karabaja4
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

Wouldn't that have to be a feature of the programs you're using instead of qtfm?

Hmm, true. But usually it's about CLI applications (does anyone use custom actions with a GUI apps?) so output is not visible... Very tricky hmm

#242 2010-08-19 15:24:27

anonymous_user

Sometimes when I paste a file, the file size will be wrong. qtfm doesn't have a refresh button, but after closing and reopening qtfm, the size will be shown correctly.

Also I think this happens more often when cutting and pasting onto my NTFS drive.

#243 2010-08-19 16:08:58

karabaja4
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

Sometimes when I paste a file, the file size will be wrong. qtfm doesn't have a refresh button, but after closing and reopening qtfm, the size will be shown correctly.

Also I think this happens more often when cutting and pasting onto my NTFS drive.

Confirmed, file size sometimes freezes at 0 bytes, refreshing qtfm fixes it.

#244 2010-08-20 21:00:21

anonymous_user

Has anyone tried cutting and pasting a file but had the original file stay there? Basically it acts like copy instead of cut.

#245 2010-08-20 21:28:46

archman-cro
Website

Yep, experienced that today. Some files were moved, some stayed, though...
A feature request: Ctrl+Q to quit the application? (That's pretty much a standardized keybind to close an application)

#246 2010-08-21 04:33:31

anonymous_user

Just a small feature request: in the context menu, move Delete so its under Paste. This is its usual spot in most application. Its current position is just very low.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-08-21 04:37:34)

#247 2010-08-21 18:24:06

karabaja4
Website

- I confirm cut acts as copy now when cutting between different instances of qtfm, otherwise it works fine.
- Paste fails if any file is selected inside the folder we want to paste in.

Last edited by karabaja4 (2010-08-21 22:27:58)

#248 2010-08-22 01:17:31

archman-cro
Website

I can confirm the cut/paste problem, too. Acts like a copy/paste.
Another glitch is when using a single click. Sometimes it reverts to a double-click temporarily (not in a config, sure) so I have to use a double click to enter the folders, and a few minutes later, it gets back to a one-click style. Dunno why, for now.

#249 2010-08-23 10:31:45

archman-cro
Website

-this happens while cut/pasting: http://i36.tinypic.com/riywc7.jpg
-tried copying the /boot folder to my home Documents, but it's only seen after a complete qtFM restart
-the directory size is not displayed correctly: http://i33.tinypic.com/15x5s8h.jpg
-displays correct size and file number after viewing "properties" for the second time.

Last edited by archman-cro (2010-08-23 10:40:59)

#250 2010-08-23 12:22:25

fiinix

Thanks for singleClick and Permissions in Detail View! Nice to see that qtfm is still blooming.

A bug: singleClick=2 behaves like singleClick=1 here.

Some comments / requests:
- About sorting: sorting by type completely reorders everything. It would be nice to have a) the folders always on top and b) files with the same type sorted internally by name (or by whatever they were sorted before).
- About the rearranging of the files at startup: I think to me it is a little bit annoying because when I see files I try to find some orientation in the folder. After some time, but before I could really get all the content in my head, the files are rearranged and I lose my bearings. What I saw at one place, now is at another... To me it would be better to see nothing for the time being.
- About the tooltip replacement: the status bar is definitely the right place for the information! But what I still miss is the ability to read what is behind truncated folder or file names. When I hover over them, there comes nothing in the status bar. Also it would be more intuitive to me to find the file name before the rest of the information, because that would just be the way detail view (my default view) works.
- About the position of delete in the context menu: delete is just like cut, copy and paste an option about the whole file/folder whereas rename is an option about only the name of the file. So maybe an intuitive order would be: (open, file stuff, ) rename, cut, copy, paste, delete (, folder stuff, properties).
- About properties: it would be nice to have properties on multiple selected files, just like the folder properties.
- About selecting files: just like ctrl+click selects files now, it would be nice to have shift+click to select a bunch of files at the same time.

Board footer