You are not logged in.

#276 2010-09-03 14:20:42

fiinix

Re: qtFM - Small, fast, light Qt filemanager

How about doing this as an option, as soon as someone comes up, who really does use those arrow-buttons? Why implement options which aren't used?

#277 2010-09-03 14:24:02

archman-cro
Website

I agree, cheers. smile

#278 2010-09-05 18:43:36

Shaika-Dzari
Website

Hello!

First : Thanks for QtFm ! smile

I have some problem with the icon.cache.

If this file does not exist, my icon theme (OxygenRefit2-black-version) is loaded and everything is alright.
But, the second time, qtfm load the cache and fail to use my icon theme.

Result:
l9k2o9uvg9sz8zq0hxy3_thumb.png

Some information you could add to package post-install :

If, like me, you only use a window manager (no DE), xdg-open will not work very well (it open every file with firefox...).
Adding export DE=kde (or gnome or ...) in your ~/.zshrc or ~/.bashrc will solve that.

Regards.

#279 2010-09-05 19:12:53

karabaja4
Website

A suggestion: it would be nice if hidden folders would be accessible through address bar without the need to enable the hidden files option. For example, I'd like to be able to browse through /home/user/.wine from time to time, but to do it I must enable hidden files which I don't usually have enabled because of too many dot-folders. So, what I thought is that I could browse through this folder by typing its exact address without it (or any other hidden folder) be displayed in the folder tree.

#280 2010-09-06 01:44:24

Wittfella

Shaika-Dzari wrote:

I have some problem with the icon.cache.

If this file does not exist, my icon theme (OxygenRefit2-black-version) is loaded and everything is alright.
But, the second time, qtfm load the cache and fail to use my icon theme.

Hello Shaika-Dzari, thats very weird.  I'm not exactly sure what the screenshot is showing but it looks like your mime filetype icons are not showing.  These are stored in the 'file.cache' file.  The 'icon.cache' file stores all the gui icons, like toolbar and menu images.  Have you tried one of the repo themes, like Tango, Gnome or Oxygen? Does it work ok then?  I will try to find the theme you are using and test it out and see if I have the problem.

[Edit] I tried your black theme and it seems to work fine, all the gui and filetype items look good.  Maybe try deleting your '~/.config/qtfm/' folder and starting fresh, something might be borked.

Shaika-Dzari wrote:

If, like me, you only use a window manager (no DE), xdg-open will not work very well (it open every file with firefox...).
Adding export DE=kde (or gnome or ...) in your ~/.zshrc or ~/.bashrc will solve that.

I also run with no DE and my xdg-open works fine.  Have you set your default applications?  You can do that from within qtFM by selecting the file type you want to change and then 'Edit filetype' from the menu.  Pick the application you want it to open in.

karabaja4 wrote:

it would be nice if hidden folders would be accessible through address bar without the need to enable the hidden files option

I'll have a look into this.

Cheers,
Wittfella

Last edited by Wittfella (2010-09-06 02:14:15)

#281 2010-09-06 12:08:05

fiinix

Wittfella wrote:

I also run with no DE and my xdg-open works fine.  Have you set your default applications?  You can do that from within qtFM by selecting the file type you want to change and then 'Edit filetype' from the menu.  Pick the application you want it to open in.

That menu is just awesome - it saves a lot of time. I run without DE too and have no problem except:

Off-Topic? wrote:

I can't find a regular way to change my default browser... I can open html-files with it, but not addresses like http://www.wittfella.com/. Terminal output shows me, that xdg-open tries various browsers but then fails, because mine isn't one of them. Normally you get a filetype by "xdg-mime query filetype FILENAME.EXTENSION" and then set an application by "xdg-mime default APPLICATION.desktop FILETYPE". How to do that with urls? I solved this for now by changing the source code of xdg-open and adding my browser to the list of default ones. But how was it meant to work in the first place? Any ideas?

Bug: if I open a folder where a file is just being downloaded, the filesize is correctly showing something lower than the final filesize. But it doesn't change anymore. Even if the file (seconds or minutes later) has finished downloading and I leave the folder showing it and then go back in, qtfm still shows the filesize it showed first. Changing view mode doesn't help either. qtfm has to be closed and reopened.

#282 2010-09-06 13:39:09

Shaika-Dzari
Website

Hello Wittfella!

Here a better screenshot:
5xajicmo5e561yl5qctf_thumb.png

To reproduce the problem, what I do:

1- remove config folder : rm -r .config/qtfm
2- in a shell, open qtfm andclose it 3 times.

After 2 or 3  open/close, my icons are messed up. Using QtCreator, I can see some null pointer (0x0) in the actionIcons.

if I comment the section in action.cpp where you write / read the QIcon and only keep all the actionIcons->append(...), it's work.

I'll have a look and try something. Can I submit a patch if I solve the issue?

Regards.

#283 2010-09-07 04:04:24

Wittfella

Hey Shaika-Dzari,

Thanks for the info.  There is something wrong with your theme.  In the pic on the left, almost none of your gui icons are correct.  Only the 'trash', 'left arrow' and 'up arrow' are correct, the others appear to be from 'oxygen' maybe?

I downloaded the 'OxygenRefit2-black-version.tar.gz2' from GnomeLooks, unpacked it, moved it to '/usr/share/icons', changed '.gtkrc-2.0' theme and opened qtFM (many times) and this is what I get.  All icons are accounted for.

black_thumb.jpg

Have you modified your theme directory in some way?  I don't know why its not picking up some of the gui icons, but it does highlight an issue.

All those 'actionIcons->append()' functions you reference should have a fallback icon specified.  After following your lead I notice a couple of them don't have the fallback specified, so this could cause the icon cache to contain less icons than expected if the theme icon is not found, hence leading to issues like yours.

I'll update those functions and add the fallback icons.  Patches welcome of course!  I thank you for taking the time to look at the code, much appreciated smile

Cheers,
Wittfella

Last edited by Wittfella (2010-09-07 04:07:34)

#284 2010-09-07 10:24:48

Shaika-Dzari
Website

Hello smile

Could you give me more detail on your config?
Do you start gnome-daemon? Login manager, which wm?

I'm using Fvwm on Arch x86_64. No daemon on start. I use startx (exec fvwm).

I moved my theme to /usr/share/icons instead of ~/.kde4/share/icons, change my gtkrc-2.0 (link to  ~/.gtkrc.mine) and I still getting an error.

Regards.

#285 2010-09-08 01:44:01

Wittfella

I run a minimal config, no login manager, bare essential daemons like network and ssh, not even Hal these days.  I start openbox with startx and only conky at the top, wbar at the bottom, thats it.  There are no gnome or kde programs/daemons/dependencies, never been installed.

Have you tried any other themes, do they work ok?  ie. is it only that theme that is problematic or all of them.

Witty

#286 2010-09-12 14:43:57

anonymous_user

@Wittfella

1. Is it possible for qtFM to open symlinked files with the proper program? For example, I set SVGs to open in Viewnior, but if I have a symlinked SVG, it opens in Chromium.

2. Is it possible to make qtFM show thumbnails for SVGs? If it already does this, is there a particular package I need?

3. Is it possible for qtFM to display special folder icons? What I mean is that some icon themes have icons for the Desktop folder, Documents folder, Downloads folder, etc

#287 2010-09-12 19:20:32

fiinix

anonymous_user wrote:

3. Is it possible for qtFM to display special folder icons? What I mean is that some icon themes have icons for the Desktop folder, Documents folder, Downloads folder, etc

I have a special icon for my home folder here. Didn't even recognize it, until you made me check it smile Using erectus-icon-theme. gnome-icon-theme, hicolor-icon-theme and tangerine-icon-theme are also installed.

Edit:
About 1.: sounds like a problem xdg-mime should be responsible for. What does xdg-mime query filetype symlinked-file.svg say?

Last edited by fiinix (2010-09-12 19:22:30)

#288 2010-09-12 19:46:36

anonymous_user

fiinix wrote:

About 1.: sounds like a problem xdg-mime should be responsible for. What does xdg-mime query filetype symlinked-file.svg say?

$ xdg-mime query filetype desktop.svg
application/x-symlink; charset=binary

#289 2010-09-12 20:00:25

fiinix

ok, normally after checking that you would do:
xdg-mime default appropriateapp.desktop application/x-symlink
but the question is: is there one application you want to open all symlinked files with? this, imho, is a bug of xdg, which is often used by qt applications and so in this case.

#290 2010-09-12 20:04:40

anonymous_user

Yeah I don't want all symlinks to open with the same program. Thanks anyways.

#291 2010-09-12 23:06:49

Kosava

Very nice file manager !!

Does is possible in future to add feature

- To add custom icon changing for folders
-Split view like on dolphin
-F4 button to open default terminal like on pcmanfm

good job !

Last edited by Kosava (2010-09-12 23:08:41)

#292 2010-09-13 02:00:48

anonymous_user

I have a folder whose name is misaligned when in Icon view. The problem seems related to the name but I'm having difficulty seeing the pattern.

Example names causing misalignment:

processhacker-x.y-bin (where x and y are integers)
processhacker-2.4-b
processhacker-.-bin
aaaaaaaaaaaaa-2.4-bin

Example names not causing misalignment

processhacker-2.4-
processhackerbin-2.4-
process-2.4-hackerbin

b8b59b5f94.png

#293 2010-09-14 22:34:34

anonymous_user

Just something I noticed: normally you go into folders by just left-clicking, however if you do right-click -> Open it will try to open according to xdg-mime.

And if you associate application/x-directory with qtfm, then it will Open the folder using a new instance/window.

#294 2010-09-14 22:47:28

fiinix

Oh yeah. Like an "open in new window"-button smile Nice

#295 2010-09-21 03:52:54

Wittfella

Hello, small update, mainly added a few requests from above.

Changelog wrote:

3.1    21-September-2010
- added 'group' to detail view.
- added 'F3 home', 'F4 Terminal'  shorcuts.
- added 'svg,gif' thumbnail support.
- modified delete, more efficient when trying to remove files with no permission.

#296 2010-09-22 23:41:00

Kosava

Thank you for Terminal shourcuts now is much easyer, but i founded a little bug i have some folder which are spaced so there is cannot open terminal there when i press F4

this not work
cd /home/kosava/some folder/ 

but this would work
cd '/home/kosava/some folder/'

thanks.

#297 2010-09-23 12:01:47

fiinix

Hi, thanks for the update Wittfella!

Kosava wrote:

i founded a little bug i have some folder which are spaced so there is cannot open terminal there when i press F4

I found out that the terminal app is responsible there. Tried Sakura for some time which hasn't that problem. LXTerminal does. But Sakura gives me the creeps for other reasons (sakura -e "cd /some/dir && java app" doesn't work) and now I'm back with the space-problem too. (Is there another lightweight terminal app with tabbing?) I solved this with a custom action.

Suggestion: How about in qtfm.conf you change the format of "term=..." to the one in "Custom actions"? Because that works fine with both tested terminal apps... Then the space problem should be solved once and for all smile

EDIT: Just checked again and lxterminal 0.1.9-1 as well as sakura 2.3.8-1 open folders with spaces in their names by pressing F4 in qtfm 3.1.
@Kosava: what terminal application do you use? What are the folders called, that don't open correctly by pressing F4? My problem had been, that the terminal opened in my home folder, if there was a space in the name... is that your problem too?

Last edited by fiinix (2010-09-23 14:41:08)

#298 2010-09-23 15:08:04

anonymous_user

fiinix wrote:

(Is there another lightweight terminal app with tabbing?)

Terminator maybe?

Anyways I use it and have no problems with directories with spaces.

#299 2010-09-23 17:21:14

Kosava

I use Lxterminal 0.1.9 version and i have problem with spaced folders

#300 2010-09-23 17:46:40

fiinix

Hm, strange. I just tried to recreate the problem and in between I succeeded. This is my result: if the first instance of lxterminal is opened in a non-space-named-folder and while its open a second instance in a space-named-folder ist opened it doesn't work. But if there is no open instance and the first one to open is from a space-named-folder it works. I have no clue why, but this is how I can recreate it every time. Can you confirm this?

Board footer