You are not logged in.

#26 2010-06-04 00:05:31

karabaja4
Website

Re: qtFM - Small, fast, light Qt filemanager

Wittfella wrote:

Hello,

I can't see the pic you posted about the icons.  What icon theme have you got set so I can try it?  I have tried a bunch of themes and they look fine.  I don't explicitly set any size, the Qt function somehow figures out the best size to use and everything looks good for the themes I tried.

I left the DragDrop copy only for now because it wasn't working properly for folders, I will look at making it 'move'.

I don't understand the delete problem.  Are you sure the folder is empty...it should only ask for confirmation if its not empty.  Is there anything else different, like is it the local filesystem or a mounted ntfs filesystem etc.

Try this pic:

tNGh1dQ

Yes, I'm sure the folder is empty. And even in non-empty folder, the scenario is like this:

Delete the folder -> folder not empty, are you sure -> yes -> folder deleted -> folder not empty (again), are you sure -> yes -> segfault.
I don't understand how it works differently for you. Try to delete any empty folder. I'm using pretty much basic openbox, folders I'm describing are in /home/user...

As for the icon theme:

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ … tent=72619

Use it with MurrinaBlu GTK if possible, thanks.

#27 2010-06-04 04:01:42

Wittfella

Whoa! Those icons are messed up!  I have never seen that.  I tried the basic themes like Oxygen, Gnome, Tango etc.  I'll check yours out and see whats up.

Meanwhile I updated again:

- DragDrop is now 'move' not copy.
- Column header widths are now remembered.
- I modified the delete routine again.

Here are a couple of my theme shots for reference: Tango : Oxygen : Human : Gnome

tango_thumb.jpg  oxygen_thumb.jpg human_thumb.jpg  gnome_thumb.jpg

#28 2010-06-04 13:46:02

karabaja4
Website

Ok, delete works better, only after each file/folder delete there is a message:

Could not delete some items...do you have the right permissions?

This happenes AFTER the file/folder is successfully deleted.

P.S. Icons indeed work ok with oxygen/tango...

Last edited by karabaja4 (2010-06-04 16:08:03)

#29 2010-06-04 22:20:42

madeye
Website

Nice little filemanager. It's amazing how many tools show up from time to time in Arch.

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

#30 2010-06-05 18:46:42

Wittfella

Ok, finally found the problem causing the 'delete failed' message in some cases.  Updated package again.

#31 2010-06-10 09:30:17

karabaja4
Website

Wittfella wrote:

Ok, finally found the problem causing the 'delete failed' message in some cases.  Updated package again.

I'm really sorry to do this to you (I'm beginning to annoy myself always complaining about stuff), but the problem is still there for me sad

I can delete files normally, but the 'delete failed' message pops up always, in all cases (file, empty folder, full folder) after the folder is successfully deleted.

Last edited by karabaja4 (2010-06-10 09:31:00)

#32 2010-06-10 19:44:07

Wittfella

Hello karabaja4, don't be sorry, if its buggy I need to get it fixed, no problem.

Is there a difference between the tree and the list?  ie. selecting something in the list and deleting works ok, but selecting something in the tree and deleting gives the message?  I found the probelm above was only with the tree and I thought I fixed it.

Cheers,
Wittfella

#33 2010-06-15 16:07:25

Wittfella

Small update

1.4    14-June-2010
- added option to 'Run' or 'Open' executable files. Used for opening scripts etc in text mode to edit.

I can't find any more problems with the delete fail message, can anyone else confirm the problem or possibly give some more info on when it occurs.

@karabaja4 - I haven't had a chance to try out your icon theme yet, I am away from home with limited net at the moment.  Should be able to do more next week.

Cheers,
Wittfella

#34 2010-06-21 23:24:00

karabaja4
Website

Wittfella wrote:

@karabaja4 - I haven't had a chance to try out your icon theme yet, I am away from home with limited net at the moment.  Should be able to do more next week.

Cheers,
Wittfella

Sorry I haven't replied for so long, I've been very busy. Icon theme doesn't really matter since it could be buggy icon theme.

Here's the delete problem:

In non-detail (tree?) view there is no problem, everything works ok.
But, in detalied view, file selected:

qtfm1_thumb.png

Then I punch delete key, I get this (file deleted and a message):

qtfm2_thumb.png

P.S. xdg-open in the repo has been fixed.

P.P.S. Can you default the double-click to open, not run? I have bunch of mkv and avi files on a NTFS partition which are not executable but the system sees them as if they are, and I can't chmod them (NTFS files can't be chmoded, they are all 777), so double click doesn't open the video - instead it tries to run it as a script and nothing happens. Plus, I hate running scripts accidentally by double clicking them.

Last edited by karabaja4 (2010-06-22 00:39:17)

#35 2010-06-22 03:51:25

Wittfella

Ok, found it, delete problem fixed now.

Also made double-click default to 'Open'.  Right-click 'Run' if you explicitly want to run an executable.

Cheers,
Wittfella

Last edited by Wittfella (2010-06-22 03:52:04)

#36 2010-06-22 10:49:24

karabaja4
Website

Sweet! Thanks.

May I suggest a custom actions (commands) in the right-click menu (like in thunar), so that is possible, for example, extract an archive? I assume this is quite a bit of work, so this is just something for you to think about smile

Thanks for all your hard work.

Last edited by karabaja4 (2010-06-22 11:15:07)

#37 2010-06-23 17:20:41

karabaja4
Website

Few more bugs to report smile

- When right clicking a folder, sometimes the wrong menu opens if nothing is selected - for example right click in the empty folder space, and Run, Open etc. menu appears.
- Cut action takes way longer on large files than drag-and-drop move which is instant. I assume this is because the file is first copied, and then the original is deleted? Why not just move the file?
- Sorting the main detail window by clicking an attribute also sorts the tree? Is this expected behavior?
- Rename is missing in the menus. The only way to rename the files is slow-double-click? Same question as above, is this by design?
- It would be nice if there were some window informing the user that copy action is in progress. The interface just freezes when a large file is being copied.

Cheers!

Last edited by karabaja4 (2010-06-23 19:51:23)

#38 2010-06-24 12:15:47

Wittfella

karabaja4 wrote:

Few more bugs to report smile

- When right clicking a folder, sometimes the wrong menu opens if nothing is selected - for example right click in the empty folder space, and Run, Open etc. menu appears.
- Cut action takes way longer on large files than drag-and-drop move which is instant. I assume this is because the file is first copied, and then the original is deleted? Why not just move the file?
- Rename is missing in the menus. The only way to rename the files is slow-double-click? Same question as above, is this by design?
Cheers!

Hello, fixed these issues.

The rename thing was sort of by design, you can also use the F2 shortcut.  I always hated that to rename in other file managers it was a menu click/dialog instead of in-place renaming. Anyway I added the menu items.

I'll have to think about how to do the feedback on a large copy thing.

Cheers,
Witty

#39 2010-06-27 17:04:08

archman-cro
Website

Will there be a possibility to run the terminal with some options? I've tried with term="urxvt -uc", term='urxvt -uc' or without brackets in config file, but it doesn't open, and there's no errors in the console.
Also, a one-click for browsing folders and running apps would be cool! smile

Last edited by archman-cro (2010-06-27 17:54:28)

#40 2010-06-28 16:56:58

adriano
Website

The first and only lightweight file manager (like explorer) in QT! Nice! I love you big_smile

Italian ArchLinux User
My projects on my homepage: www.obliquo.net

#41 2010-06-28 17:14:10

karabaja4
Website

archman-cro wrote:

Also, a one-click for browsing folders and running apps would be cool! smile

I have to strongly disagree on this, except if it would be optional to current configuration.

adriano wrote:

The first and only lightweight file manager (like explorer) in QT! Nice! I love you big_smile

Indeed, this file manager is pure gold big_smile

Last edited by karabaja4 (2010-06-28 17:15:17)

#42 2010-06-28 17:25:06

archman-cro
Website

@karabaja: Optional, yes, if possible. smile

#43 2010-06-29 23:04:14

adriano
Website

suggestion: you can implement ctrl+h for show the hidden files like in thunar wink

Italian ArchLinux User

#44 2010-06-30 03:59:14

lordmetroid

As always you can not make everyone happy. Qt makes me unhappy but thank you for providing the filemanager.

#45 2010-06-30 09:04:53

archman-cro
Website

adriano wrote:

suggestion: you can implement ctrl+h for show the hidden files like in thunar wink

And to leave the setting on the next time fm starts, so we don't have to push "show hidden files" all the time.

#46 2010-06-30 11:11:47

Wittfella

Hey Peoples,

Thanks for the feedback, updated again to include most of the suggestions above.

1.5    30-June-2010
- added 'ctrl-h' shortcut for hidden mode.
- hidden mode now remembered.
- modified terminal run function to accept command line parameters.
- modified copy/paste, now executed in different thread to prevent gui from feezing up on large copies.

To change your terminal command, either open '~/.config/qtfm/qtfm.conf' and edit the 'term' key, or just delete the file and it will ask you again.

I played with the feedback on large copy problem but its kinda hard, the QFile::copy() does not provide any progress callback or such so you have to do it manually and its a bit of a hack.  So I tried threading it so now at least the gui doesn't freeze and you can sort of see the progress as the files appear.  I think its reasonable, see how it goes and let me know if you think it sucks and still really want a progress deal.

@archman-cro

I'm not totally sure what you mean by 'one-click', do you mean in the list on the right, like how the tree works?  I personally never liked that behavior but I will look at an option, don't think it will be difficult.

@lordmetroid

Sorry bout that man, maybe we can convert you one day smile Cheers!

#47 2010-06-30 12:14:12

adriano
Website

I'm trying this new version! It is really nice, thanks you smile

I've another suggestion for you:
Under "View" menu you can add an item for Hide/Show the left side of file manager (tree view).. Some users like me could want to see only right side without the tree view wink

Edit:
I seen that I can move the separation bar on the left to Hide the tree view, it could be a solution

Last edited by adriano (2010-06-30 12:16:15)

Italian ArchLinux User

#48 2010-06-30 12:52:14

karabaja4
Website

Wittfella wrote:

I played with the feedback on large copy problem but its kinda hard, the QFile::copy() does not provide any progress callback or such so you have to do it manually and its a bit of a hack.  So I tried threading it so now at least the gui doesn't freeze and you can sort of see the progress as the files appear.  I think its reasonable, see how it goes and let me know if you think it sucks and still really want a progress deal.

It still freezes when copying a large folder. About that, would it be difficult to add a small popup window that says copying x to y, no progress bar needed - just to let the user know copy action is in progress?

Thanks!

EDIT: In fact, when copy/pasting the folder with files inside, the program freezes unrecoverably.
EDIT2: And sometimes during large files copy too hmm (and sometimes it just crashes, like segfault).
EDIT3: Now it crashes/freezes at random during copy, lol. I can't copy and paste anything without a freeze.

Last edited by karabaja4 (2010-06-30 13:12:09)

#49 2010-06-30 13:10:16

archman-cro
Website

Wittfella wrote:

Hey Peoples,

Thanks for the feedback, updated again to include most of the suggestions above.

1.5    30-June-2010
- added 'ctrl-h' shortcut for hidden mode.
- hidden mode now remembered.
- modified terminal run function to accept command line parameters.
- modified copy/paste, now executed in different thread to prevent gui from feezing up on large copies.

To change your terminal command, either open '~/.config/qtfm/qtfm.conf' and edit the 'term' key, or just delete the file and it will ask you again.

Awesome, it is working now!

Wittfella wrote:

@archman-cro

I'm not totally sure what you mean by 'one-click', do you mean in the list on the right, like how the tree works?  I personally never liked that behavior but I will look at an option, don't think it will be difficult.

Yes, the list on the right, so when I click on a folder or a file only once it enters/runs instantly, so I don't have to click twice. They called it "The Mac style" under Winblow$. (Sure, that should be only an option for turning on/off)

Also, one more idea (sorry, I know I'm boring big_smile): Can you implement the right click menu properties in the right view, so we can see the size of the folder, its permissions and similar?

Wow, this app is SO gonna make me launch exo+libxfceutil+hal+thunar out of my installation forever! Thank you for your work! smile

#50 2010-07-01 18:35:28

adriano
Website

New error (version 1.5)

I set "xterm" as terminal but when I press on terminal icon i received this error in the console:

/usr/bin/xterm:  bad command line option "-cd"

Last edited by adriano (2010-07-01 18:35:41)

Italian ArchLinux User

Board footer