You are not logged in.

#751 2011-07-10 01:04:44

ctarwater

Re: qtFM - Small, fast, light Qt filemanager

I've been away from this thread for a little bit and found myself using QTfm today thinking "I wish there were tabs".  I check the thread and there's a tabbed implementation.  I've been using it for a bit while transferring files and haven't run into a single issue yet.  Thank you!  I absolutely love this file manager - it has fully replaced pcmanfm for me.

Also, I can't believe how quickly it opens large folders and transfers files.  I'm not sure why the difference, but it's a huge one between pcmanfm and this.

Last edited by ctarwater (2011-07-10 01:07:34)

#752 2011-07-22 01:58:08

VastOne

Just started using qtFM and have removed pcmanfm and Thunar.. 

Great job goes out to Wittfella on this development and to everyone on this thread for helping in making it a great app

I run Debian Testing (Liquid Lemur) with Xfce 4.8

I have read all through this massive post trying to figure out the issue with my Icon theme not working at all.  In every other app, including QT apps, the icons work flawlessly.

I was able to get the icons to show up by putting the following in ~/gtkrc-2.0

gtk-icon-theme-name="LinuxLex-8"

but it looks terrible in the icon view within qtFM and especially large and ugly from the menus..

I am at a loss as to why this is happening only in qtFM and why none of the fixes seem to work

If I have missed the solution for this, I apologize..

Edit:  Also, changing to any of the "normal" icons (defaults - Tango,Gnome etc) does not change anything within qtFM either... it stays exactly the same

Thanks

VastOne

Last edited by VastOne (2011-07-22 02:01:12)

#753 2011-07-22 02:25:42

Wittfella

Hello VastOne,

I'll have to check out xfce4, I haven't tried it in a while, maybe something has changed.  Qtfm should see when you change your icon theme.  Also check you are not in daemon mode.  ie. start a fresh instance after changing themes.

I'll have a look at that theme too and try to see whats up.

Cheers,
Wittfella

#754 2011-07-22 04:39:20

VastOne

Wittfella wrote:

Hello VastOne,

I'll have to check out xfce4, I haven't tried it in a while, maybe something has changed.  Qtfm should see when you change your icon theme.  Also check you are not in daemon mode.  ie. start a fresh instance after changing themes.

I'll have a look at that theme too and try to see whats up.

Cheers,
Wittfella

Thanks Wittfella

I have never used qtFm in daemon mode, always just launched normally...  I did see the changes once I restarted after editing the gtkrc-2.0 file

Anything you need from me, let me know...

#755 2011-07-23 22:35:03

diegoxter
Website

Hello!
I have been using qtfm for a while ago, and there is something i am wondering:
Can i do a custom action that shows itself only on an specific folder?

I use udev for mounting devices under /media/, and i want to do a custom action that appear only when i right-click the /media/whatever device

I have tried using /media/* one "Filetype" section and it didn't work...
Thanks for the ultra-lightweight file manager! big_smile

"In brightest days, In darkest nights, no evil shall escape my sight!" Sheldon Cooper cuoting Green Lantern.

#756 2011-07-24 04:54:36

Wittfella

Hey diegoxter,

Almost correct, just leave out the trailing /*.

eg. just use

/media

#757 2011-07-24 05:10:00

diegoxter
Website

Wittfella wrote:

Hey diegoxter,

Almost correct, just leave out the trailing /*.

eg. just use

/media

So close yet so far away from the answer...
Thank you Wittfella!

"In brightest days, In darkest nights, no evil shall escape my sight!" Sheldon Cooper cuoting Green Lantern.

#758 2011-07-27 21:54:33

ThomasG

Oh,  Wittfella

Let me just thank you for a simple, no-nonsense File Manager that does EXACTLY what I expect from a file manager, without any of the cruft I don't need. ;-P

After going through a few dozen of them I only regret that I didn't start looking at the other end of the alphabet. ;-P

Thomas.

#759 2011-07-27 23:45:54

Wittfella

Hello Thomas,

Thanks! Much appreciated, glad you like it.

@VastOne - I installed xfce4 to test it out and it appears that qtfm (or Qt really) is not detecting the gtk icon theme from xfce.  For some reason it always reports 'gnome' icon set, regardless of what icon set you choose in the xfce settings.  I thought this used to work for xfce in the past, not sure.

So to change icons in qtfm you have to set the '.gtkrc-2.0' file to what you want.  You can hand edit easily, or use something like lxappearance which is nice and simple.

#760 2011-07-27 23:58:34

Wittfella

Quick tip!

I got an email from someone and realized this is not obvious and might be useful for other people.

With the shortcuts you can also use those sequential shortcuts, like vi or emacs, rather than the typical combination shortcuts.  You can use up to 4 keys in a sequence.  In the shortcuts editor, separate a key sequence with commas. Like 'd,d' or 'a,b,c'.  You can still use modifiers also, 'Ctrl+a,b'

The problem I found with this is it buggers up keyboard searching in the views (if you don't use any modifiers), but if you don't do that often then you won't care.

#761 2011-07-30 15:16:03

vasyabelkin

Hello, Wittfella. Thank you for this awesome file manager.
I'd like to report some issues that I've found with the latest version 5.0-1 from community:
1. qtfm does not show files with invalid filenames. Specifically these files were created on Windows, have Cyrillic letters in their names and were unpacked from RAR archive on Arch. Thunar appends the string "invalid encoding" to such names.
201107301738411280x1024.th.png
2. When I've tried to delete the folder "test", there were actually 2 files in it: the avi with invalid filename & the screenshot, made with scrot. qtfm deleted the picture from within the folder & felt silently (!). Only the second time, when I chose "delete" from the context menu of folder, I've got the dialog "Could not delete some items...do you have the right permissions?". [This text was copied from the dialog via selection + context menu "Copy". Is this the intended behavior, that error dialog has?]
3. Try to run qtfm without qtfm.conf file. One cannot see any custom action in the context menu, although the custom action configuration dialog lists 3 defaults, if you close the dialog with "cancel". Only after the "Save" is pressed, the actions are written to the config & are shown in the context menu. At first I thought they don't work at all, as I pressed "Cancel" 2 or 3 times, because I have not changed anything.
4.Do not show hidden files, go to .config/qtfm in the shell & open qtfm from here. You will see that you are in the hidden folder, that is not at the root, but "up" arrow on the toolbar does nothing.
5.Drag one bookmark on top of another and release the mouse button. The dialog popups with the title "No paste for you!" and the text "File no longer exists!". Both bookmarks point to existing directories. The point is not to start a copy/move in such a case, but when I've configured qtfm and wanted to change the order of bookmarks, I saw this dialog a couple of times.

Hope I've helped a bit with some testing. Thank you, Wittfella!

#762 2011-08-14 00:42:12

anonymous_user

I noticed that if you open a tab (so you have two) then close one, qtfm will display just the one tab. And if you close that tab, it just makes the tab bar disappear. Would it possible to have qtfm always display the tab bar? Or at least leave it as an option in qtfm.conf.

#763 2011-08-14 03:33:23

Wittfella

Hello vasyabelkin!

Sorry I didn't notice the new post in here, thanks for the feedback.

1&2) Yes there is an issue with files with funny names, its just seems to ignore them.  I don't know what to do about this yet.  The Qt classes are all unicode aware, I don't know why it doesn't like them.

3) Oh, yes I see that could be a bit confusing.  Those three were just examples to get you going.  I guess I could save them by default.

4) Starting in a hidden folder has issues, or more specifically starting in a folder below a hidden folder.  I think I played around with this before, for some reason it was not easy to resolve.  How often do you do that really anyway.

5) I didn't notice this, that was slightly unintended smile but probably useful...I haven't really accounted for copying a bookmark to another bookmark.

@anonymous  I like how it's easy to get rid of tabs, if you don't use them regularly.  Wouldn't you just not close the last tab?  What do you want to happen when you do close the last tab?

Last edited by Wittfella (2011-08-14 03:34:50)

#764 2011-08-14 04:38:00

anonymous_user

If the tab bar is always visible then either:

1a. Closing the last tab closes qtfm.

1b. Or you cannot close the last tab.

If the tab bar is only shown when there is more than one tab then:

2. The tab bar should be hidden by closing the second to last tab (instead of the last tab).

#765 2011-08-18 05:41:56

anonymous_user

Just something minor, the confirmation box when deleting files always has a Yes to all button even if you just selected one file.

Edit: when qtfm detects a device with a space in its name, the bookmark will show "\040" instead of an actual space. For example when I inserted a Parted Magic disc, the bookmark was named "/media/Parted\040Magic" instead of "/media/Parted Magic".

Last edited by anonymous_user (2011-08-20 18:56:47)

#766 2011-08-23 17:29:06

zester
Website

You might want to add something like ...

list->setLayoutMode(QListView::Batched);
    list->setBatchSize(10);

I added it to my copy, It speeds up directory listing. For directory's with lots
of files like /usr/bin or /usr/lib

#767 2011-08-24 02:04:06

Wittfella

anonymous Thanks, I'll check out the spaces problem.

zester Cool thanks, I'll check that out.

#768 2011-09-01 05:50:34

zester
Website

If you want to parse .desktop files you can do it like this.....

QSettings settings("/home/steven/Desktop/dolphin.desktop", QSettings::IniFormat);
    settings.beginGroup("Desktop Entry");
        qDebug() << settings.value("Name").toString();
        qDebug() << settings.value("Exec").toString();
        qDebug() << settings.value("Icon").toString();
        qDebug() << settings.value("Type").toString();
        qDebug() << settings.value("Terminal").toString();
        qDebug() << settings.value("MimeType").toString();
    settings.endGroup();

This is the output

"Dolphin"
"dolphin %i -caption %c%u"
"system-file-manager"
"Application"
"false"
"inode/directory"

If your interested in knowing how to turn your filemanager into a desktop like nautilus
let me know I can tell you what you need to do.

Not sure if you know about QFreeDesktopMime http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/QFr … tent=86454
not sure how your doing it now but take a look if you dont allready know about it.

#769 2011-09-06 07:25:23

Wittfella

Hello, there are a lot of people from all over using qtfm, so I should think about adding translations.

If someone would like to help you can grab qtfm_en.ts and do the translation into your language and we'll test it out.

Rename the file to whatever your country code is, like 'qtfm_de.ts' and then the easiest way is to open it in linguist (part of qt).

Much appreciated,
Wittfella

#770 2011-09-13 06:51:17

Wittfella

Uploaded 5.1.beta with some stuff I have been working on if you want to test out.

CHANGELOG wrote:

- added input variables to custom actions.
- added 'forceTheme' fallback to settings.
- modified theme detection and icon cache, including gtk-3.0 support.
- fixed issue with auto bookmarks for mount points with a space in the name.

Themes
I've played with the theme stuff a bit.  I added a check for gtk-3.0 settings also if it doesn't find a 'gtkrc-2.0' file.  I not exactly sure yet how gtk-3.0 and gtk-2.0 settings will work, will they merge?

I also added a new key called 'forceTheme' so if you are having issues with detecting the correct icon theme, put this in the qtfm.conf file. eg. forceTheme=Tango
Also if you don't mess with your themes anymore, you should also add the forceTheme key because it will use that and save a bunch of unnecessary cycles/io trying to detect your theme.

Variables in custom actions
I thought it would be nice to be able to input run-time variables in custom actions.  The particular case I encountered was using 7z to create password protected archives, where you want to be able to enter a password from within the custom action.  There is a new variable '%ixxx' where xxx is any variable name of your choice.  The name is used in the dialog text.

eg. my custom action looks like

7za a -mhe=on -p%iPassword %n.7z %f

This was the only case I thought of but there must be other actions where input variables would be handy.

#771 2011-09-17 05:28:52

anonymous_user

I just discovered that pasting will fail if the destination drive/partition is full but qtFM does not tell me this.

I tried copying a video file (around 700MB) to my external drive (ext4 partition) and I noticed that the transfer speed was unusally high (~2xx MB/s). And after copying, I get a message "Paste failed some items...do you have the right permissions?". The file is either 0 bytes or only partially copied.

#772 2011-09-18 10:39:22

bug

A) Seems like qtfm forgets to stop trying to write when HDD is full resulting in weird annoying stuckness.
B) The back button ignores the tabs. Basically not keeping separate back history for each tab. Resulting in frustrating back clicks.
--
Posted without a mouse. I think qtfm broke my pointer. But I can't be sure.

#773 2011-09-18 12:53:07

Wittfella

I'll look into checking free space before copying.

Yeah the back history is not per tab, it is based on the path edit history.  I remember when I first added tabs I thought about history per tab but must of got side tracked and forgot about it.  I'll take a look at it again.

I sincerely doubt qtfm has anything to do with your mouse.

#774 2011-09-18 16:11:28

freemind

Wittfella wrote:

I'll look into checking free space before copying.

Yeah the back history is not per tab, it is based on the path edit history.  I remember when I first added tabs I thought about history per tab but must of got side tracked and forgot about it.  I'll take a look at it again.

I sincerely doubt qtfm has anything to do with your mouse.

Hey Wittfella,
I don't know if you got my two previous emails (which is strange because you got my first one) about merging our projects. Anyway i need an answer...
Bye.

#775 2011-09-20 01:58:47

anonymous_user

I noticed that if you try deleting multiple files/folders and select No when qtfm prompts you, then it will not delete any of the files. Shouldn't qtfm prompt for each file/folder instead of cancelling the whole operation?

Board footer