You are not logged in.

#776 2011-09-20 02:15:54

Wittfella

Re: qtFM - Small, fast, light Qt filemanager

That sounds like it would get annoying to me.  What if you deleted a 100 things, take you forever to get out it.  Given that your now unsure about wanting to delete things isn't just safer/faster to stop and you can select the things you are sure about.

#777 2011-09-20 02:31:49

anonymous_user

Well qtfm has the "Yes to all" option so if you really were deleting 100 items, you could use that. My request is that when the user selects No, qtfm should continue with the rest of the items instead of treating it as "No to all".

Alternatively, I suppose you could rename the button to "No to all" or even "Cancel".

#778 2011-09-25 08:06:30

bug

Also might want to add `Merge All` / `Overwrite All`. It's kind of pain when trying to do so when having 10+ directory's with the same name and varying sizes.

#779 2011-09-30 04:52:30

anonymous_user

If I use furiusisomount to mount an ISO and then try to get Properties of that folder, qtfm will close with "Floating point exception". I am not sure what the exact trigger is though.

dr-xr-xr-x  1 root  root  2.0K Nov 30  1899 rzr-2033_iso
dr-xr-xr-x  2 root  root  4.0K Sep 29 21:40 rzr-test

The first folder is from furiusisomount and the second I created manually.

#780 2011-09-30 07:10:42

kokoko3k

qtfm works very well, it has just an annoying thing, when you click on a folder with lot of contents, the ui got stuck andu nresponsive until the folder is loaded, this is evident, for example, when you have a directory full of pictures and you turned thumbs on.

Maybe qtfm could start displaying something right while loading, or at least show a progress bar?

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#781 2011-09-30 10:59:08

Wittfella

@anonymous  Guess we need to find it if is specific to that iso or furiusisomount.  Can you try to mount the iso normally and see if qtfm freaks out, like

mount -o loop rzr-2039.iso somefolder

kokoko3k  Hello, cheers!  The first time it loads thumbs it will be a little slow, it has to load all the thumbs smile  But it caches them and after that the next time you go into that folder it should be very fast.  Maybe I can look at incrementally updating the ui while loading alot of thumbs.  I'll check it.

Last edited by Wittfella (2011-09-30 10:59:34)

#782 2011-09-30 13:01:30

anonymous_user

Well it seems related to the use of fuseiso since qtfm reacts the same if I use acetoneiso2 to mount the ISO. Mounting manually with the command you mentioned causes no problem.

#783 2011-10-02 04:30:13

twilight0
Website

Thank you very much, nice piece of software.

Proud Arch Linux user since 2007.

#784 2011-10-05 15:28:43

Wittfella

Fixed a couple of things from above if you want to test out.

CHANGELOG wrote:

- added input variables to custom actions.
- added 'forceTheme' fallback to settings.
- added check for free space before copy/move.
- modified thumb loading, loads in realtime, more responsive.
- modified theme detection and icon cache, including gtk-3.0 support.
- fixed issue with auto bookmarks for mount points with a space in the name.

www.qtfm.org/qtfm-5.1.beta.tar.gz

#785 2011-10-06 07:59:18

kokoko3k

Great, qtfm is becoming better and better,
I just tried, thumb shows instantly now,

Some things i think that could make qtfm better:

• The very first time a folder with images is displayed, i have this:
    tYW9qcQ
    ...resizing the window fixes the cropped filenames.

• When renaming a file, leave it's extension out of the selection

• Im my opinion, url bar should always expand to the maximum width, now it doesnt if you put some toolbars on its right:
    tYW9qcw

• When a folder content doesn't fit in the view area and it is set to "details view", is it not possible to create a new file or folder with right click, because every right click pops up the file menu (there is no empty space to click into, maybe a submenu could help?):
    tYW9qdA

• Even if it is very, very fast, opening big folder still takes a while (/usr/bin, /usr/lib..., a slow network share...), it would be nice if you can start showing something right while loading, or a small animation (spinning circles?, mouse in busy mode?), to make the user understand qtfm is doing something and it has to wait!

• Any idea why there is a one pixel line between the menu bar and the window decoration? as you can see it does not happens with other apps (see qtfm and kwrite in the shot), it seems that the menubar has some padding or margin:
    tYW9qeA

EDIT: added something smile

Last edited by kokoko3k (2011-10-06 08:03:01)

#786 2011-10-06 08:32:48

Wittfella

kokoko3k wrote:

The very first time a folder with images is displayed, i have this:
http://ompldr.org/tYW9qcQ

No idea whats going on there, mine definitely doesn't do that.  Icons are perfectly spaced, no cropping etc.  What icon theme are you using, maybe thats causing it.  What if you try gnome or tango, is it fixed?

kokoko3k wrote:

Im my opinion, url bar should always expand to the maximum width, now it doesnt if you put some toolbars on its right:
http://ompldr.org/tYW9qcw

Not sure about this, I thinks its standard Qt dock handling.

kokoko3k wrote:

When a folder content doesn't fit in the view area and it is set to "details view", is it not possible to create a new file or folder with right click, because every right click pops up the file menu (there is no empty space to click into, maybe a submenu could help?):
http://ompldr.org/tYW9qdA

hmm yeah, not sure how to fix this elegantly yet.

kokoko3k wrote:

Even if it is very, very fast, opening big folder still takes a while (/usr/bin, /usr/lib..., a slow network share...)

How slow is it?  On my slowest computer (eeepc) big folders like bin, lib etc there is a small delay maybe, 1 second at most.  On my better machine there is no perceptible difference.

kokoko3k wrote:

Any idea why there is a one pixel line between the menu bar and the window decoration? as you can see it does not happens with other apps (see qtfm and kwrite in the shot), it seems that the menubar has some padding or margin:
http://ompldr.org/tYW9qeA

Not sure, does it go away when you 'Lock layout' and the toolbar handles disappear?

#787 2011-10-06 08:56:49

kokoko3k

Wittfella wrote:
kokoko3k wrote:

The very first time a folder with images is displayed, i have this:
http://ompldr.org/tYW9qcQ

No idea whats going on there, mine definitely doesn't do that.  Icons are perfectly spaced, no cropping etc.  What icon theme are you using, maybe thats causing it.  What if you try gnome or tango, is it fixed?

Yes, with tango it is fixed!
My icon theme is kfaenza.

kokoko3k wrote:

When a folder content doesn't fit in the view area and it is set to "details view", is it not possible to create a new file or folder with right click, because every right click pops up the file menu (there is no empty space to click into, maybe a submenu could help?):
http://ompldr.org/tYW9qdA

hmm yeah, not sure how to fix this elegantly yet.

For example, dolphin selects a file only when you click on the filename column.

kokoko3k wrote:

Even if it is very, very fast, opening big folder still takes a while (/usr/bin, /usr/lib..., a slow network share...)

How slow is it?  On my slowest computer (eeepc) big folders like bin, lib etc there is a small delay maybe, 1 second at most.  On my better machine there is no perceptible difference.

Is it 100% of the times very fast, locally.
Problems can appears when you have a remoted mounted share (sshfs, cifs) on slow links,
What about a simple busy mouse cursor?

kokoko3k wrote:

Any idea why there is a one pixel line between the menu bar and the window decoration? as you can see it does not happens with other apps (see qtfm and kwrite in the shot), it seems that the menubar has some padding or margin:
http://ompldr.org/tYW9qeA

Not sure, does it go away when you 'Lock layout' and the toolbar handles disappear?

Nope (dolphin on the back):
tYW9rOQ
...it seems like a margin property is set to 1px or something similar, you can see it on the left too, and it is evident just because my qt style uses a gradient spreaded from the window decoration, across the menu bars.

#788 2011-10-06 13:28:52

Wittfella

@kokoko3k I haven't had a good look but i'm guessing that theme probably has mostly svg icons or not all the sizes are present.  Qt doesn't seem to like it when not all the sizes are there.

I don't think it will use a mix of png's and svg's.  If there are any png's it will use them only.  Check to see if it has the normal sizexsize directories, like 16x16, 32x32, 128x128 etc.  If not it wouldn't be to hard to create them from the svg's with a few imagemagik commands.

#789 2011-10-08 19:09:11

Wittfella

Another update

CHANGELOG wrote:

- added 'per tab' history-back functionality.

#790 2011-10-08 20:51:26

giowck

Hi, really great fm so far.

It would be nice to have the follwing:

- Trash bookmark
- New tab in the menu, because a lot of people don't know the 'middle mouse click' trick. (CTRL+T works also I know)
- Rename 'edit filetype' to 'open with...' (and add this to the context menu)

Once all this features will be available, i will move from pcmanfm... for now i'll keep testing further versions. But, hey! Nice work so far!

Last edited by giowck (2011-10-08 20:51:59)

#791 2011-10-09 02:50:29

Wittfella

Hey giowck,

I doesn't have a native trash function.  You can easily set one up as a custom action.  Then add your trash folder as a bookmark, change its icon and there you go!

The edit filetype thing changes the default xdg association.  You not really meant to change this every time you want 'open with' something else.  Use the custom  actions to add different 'Open with ...' options to the context menu.  The README has some examples for ideas.

I'll add 'New tab' to the file menu.

Cheers,
Wittfella

#792 2011-10-09 09:03:33

swanson

Just installed qtfm and I like it! Amongst other things it has the sorting by date unregarding of file type or directory. It's a very nice replacement for pcmanfm which recently has been moved from standard repos to AUR.

#793 2011-10-09 09:35:48

giowck

Wittfella wrote:

Hey giowck,

I doesn't have a native trash function.  You can easily set one up as a custom action.  Then add your trash folder as a bookmark, change its icon and there you go!

The edit filetype thing changes the default xdg association.  You not really meant to change this every time you want 'open with' something else.  Use the custom  actions to add different 'Open with ...' options to the context menu.  The README has some examples for ideas.

I'll add 'New tab' to the file menu.

Cheers,
Wittfella

Hi, this is great, only saw now the README file. Really powerful.

When I try to change the icon of a bookmark, the list of icons ist just empty... Why? Am I missing something?

It is also good that qtFM changes the xdg association, so finally I can set chromium to open files with my default programs(tiling wm here).
Anyway, 'Edit filetype' sounds like, change file extensions, maybe call it 'edit filetype association' or similar.

Thank you,
Nice to replace PCManFM big_smile

#794 2011-10-09 10:05:12

Wittfella

giowck wrote:

When I try to change the icon of a bookmark, the list of icons ist just empty... Why? Am I missing something?

You sure are! smile  What icon theme are you using?  Are your theme icons working for the files?  Try gnome or Tango theme and see if they work alright.

@swanson Hey cheers. Most people think that sorting thing is a bug...they want the folders first always...glad someone likes it tongue

#795 2011-10-09 10:46:18

swanson

I really do. Never change it!

#796 2011-10-09 11:54:57

Wittfella

@kokoko3k  I tried the Faenza theme from kde-looks.org and it works fine.  I'm not sure if your using the gnome-looks one, but the kde works.

@giowck  I just changed something with the icon dialog if you want to try it.  Grab qtfm-5.1.beta and see if its fixed.

#797 2011-10-09 15:25:25

giowck

Wittfella wrote:

@kokoko3k  I tried the Faenza theme from kde-looks.org and it works fine.  I'm not sure if your using the gnome-looks one, but the kde works.

@giowck  I just changed something with the icon dialog if you want to try it.  Grab qtfm-5.1.beta and see if its fixed.

Nope, still empty list.

I'm using the elementary icon theme from gnome-look

thanks

#798 2011-10-09 17:02:53

kokoko3k

Wittfella wrote:

...kfaenza from kde-look too.
I'll try to upgrade to a newer version and/or delete icon caches as soon as possible and report back.

Last edited by kokoko3k (2011-10-09 17:03:36)

#799 2011-10-10 14:02:20

Wittfella

Hey, I tried kfaenza and elementary icon themes, they both work fine here.  Maybe try deleting the *.cache files in ~/.config/qtfm and start it again.

#800 2011-10-11 07:14:08

Wittfella

Another update

CHANGELOG wrote:

5.1    11-October-2011
- added 'per tab' view selection.
- added 'per tab' history-back functionality.

Tabs now remember their view mode, so you can have one open in icon, another in detail mode etc.

If there are no problems I should release this version soon.

Board footer