You are not logged in.

#101 2010-07-15 11:22:41

Spot

Re: qtFM - Small, fast, light Qt filemanager

Wittfella wrote:

@Spot
I checked out the nuvola theme and its pretty sweet!   The folder icons work ok for me, but unfortunately not many of the mime filetype icons work properly.   It seems that the names of all the icons in the theme do not adhere to the generic naming system, so qtFM is not picking them up. 

I seem to recall a small utility that could parse a theme directory and 'standardize' the mime filetype naming or some such but I can'd find it.  Does anyone know about this?  Otherwise if some awesome person has time they could modify the theme and create icon symlinks with the generic names and put it in the aur that would be fantastic smile

I will try to manually edit the filetype naming and give you an report if this works.

Version 1.8 is a nice step forward - I like your tiny FM more and more...:).....but there are still some things that makes me to prefer Thunar.

I marked the picture with numbers, to clarfiy what I'm trying to say:

1. Can the ugly spacer, which seperates the toolbars and allows them to be moved, be removed ?
2. Besides the menu bar is very much space, can menu & toolbar integrated to one single bar ?
3. Files/Folders with more then 8 letters are shortend, can this be disabled so the hole file/folder name is shown like in Thunar ?
4. The border shadow of the qtFM-main window is to dark and big, can this be modified ?
5. Can the font-size be changed ?
7. Can the Toolbar/Bookmark Naming including the Min/Max and Close Icon and the bar be removed ?
6. If Point 7 is possible, can the seperator of the toolbar/bookmark section as thin as in Thunar ?   

2010-07-15-130037_1173i0pv.jpg

#102 2010-07-15 12:28:10

Wittfella

@archman-cro - Thats wierd, not sure what's going on with your icons.  In thumbnail mode they use the actual aspect ratio of the picture, but when not in thumbnail mode they should be fixed at 48x48.  Did you just toggle 'view thumbnails' when it happens?

@fiinix - Thanks smile  I'll look into scrolling the tree to the active item on startup.

@Spot - What Qt theme are you using, it looks like motif or cde.  Did you try out the others like clearlooks or plastiq or the gtk one.  Maybe some of your items like border thickness and shadows might be better with a more modern theme.

1. Don't think so, but they look better in the other themes.
2. I'll check it out.
3. I can change this but it tends to mess up the icon alignment.  For instance in your screenshot what if the one with the long name was in the top row of icons, what does it do then?
4. Maybe looks better in the other themes.
5. Of course, change your Qt font with qtconfig.
6/7. Not really, I tried.  It's part of the whole 'dock' system in Qt.  You can do some subclassing etc., and render it yourself which I will probably try soon.

Last edited by Wittfella (2010-07-15 12:28:24)

#103 2010-07-15 13:10:27

fiinix

@Spot: I don't have problem 4. and the handler in 1. looks a lot better here indeed:
qtfm18imqx.png

6./7. A "lock" mode would cool. Who needs to be able to move that stuff around all the time? But I still prefer the handlers to not having the ability to order that stuff at all (like in thunar).

2. I like that suggestion. Goes with the current trend to use more of the space on top of the windows.

#104 2010-07-15 13:19:00

yasen

Hi, kudos on your great work.

How about some keyboard shortcuts?
Alt-Up for directory up, Alt-Left/Right for directory back/forward. Ctrl-L for location bar.
A quick toggle between the bookmarks pane and the file pane with tab would be nice. (A-la Thunar)

Those would surely make my life easier.
Customizable bindings for all available actions would just be the bomb! smile

#105 2010-07-15 13:53:55

karabaja4
Website

One suggestion: in folders with large number of files, or when starting the program (in tree view) there is a visible moment in which files are rearranged - they first show up un-arranged and then sort themselves by defined rule. Is it possible to show the files already arranged, or to arrange them before they are shown?

P.S. About the delay on close - never mind, it went away, my computer must have been cranky.

#106 2010-07-15 14:04:09

archman-cro
Website

Wittfella wrote:

@archman-cro - Thats wierd, not sure what's going on with your icons.  In thumbnail mode they use the actual aspect ratio of the picture, but when not in thumbnail mode they should be fixed at 48x48.  Did you just toggle 'view thumbnails' when it happens?

No, it remains the same if I tick or untick 'View-->Show thumbs'. Wierd indeed. The icon set is Tango.
Btw, it's also be cool if we had a properties thing on files too, with permissions listed. smile

One question. When I define some custom action, I add '/usr/share/pixmaps/xarchiver/xarchiver-extract.png' to the icon part, but it doesn't show the icon in the menu. Am I doing something wrong?

#107 2010-07-15 14:27:47

fiinix

yasen wrote:

How about some keyboard shortcuts?
Alt-Up for directory up, Alt-Left/Right for directory back/forward. Ctrl-L for location bar.
A quick toggle between the bookmarks pane and the file pane with tab would be nice. (A-la Thunar)

Keyboard shortcuts would be nice too, but when you talk about tabs, is that what you mean: qtfm18-tab1dkf.png ?

If it is: move either "Tree" oder "Bookmarks" and drop it on top of the other one.

#108 2010-07-15 15:09:20

Spot

It works now with the right icons smile
I just downloaded a newer and final version of the icon theme... (click)

2010-07-15-170440_1044sxzb.png

Last edited by Spot (2010-07-15 15:09:53)

#109 2010-07-15 15:39:12

anonymous_user

The icons are stretched for me too (using Gnome-Brave icons):

tNHh1Ng

However using the Gnome icons, they appear normally. Could it be because Gnome-Brave uses SVGs for sizes greater than 32px?

#110 2010-07-15 15:39:30

Wittfella

archman-cro wrote:

One question. When I define some custom action, I add '/usr/share/pixmaps/xarchiver/xarchiver-extract.png' to the icon part, but it doesn't show the icon in the menu. Am I doing something wrong?

The icon names have to come from the current theme.

@Spot - Yeah thats what I saw earlier, but all the other filetype icons aren't working which is a shame.  I actually started trying to put togethor a script to map the nuvola icons to the freedesktop naming scheme but it's not so easy I found...

#111 2010-07-15 19:20:53

yasen

fiinix wrote:

Keyboard shortcuts would be nice too, but when you talk about tabs, is that what you mean: http://www.abload.de/thumb/qtfm18-tab1dkf.png ?

If it is: move either "Tree" oder "Bookmarks" and drop it on top of the other one.

Tab, as the key 'Tab'. Should've written it with a capital letter, sorry for the misunderstanding. Fire up Thunar (if you have it) and see what happens when you press tab while focus is in the file browser pane. Also Space for 'activate item' in Thunar is very usable...

But yea, tabs look nice wink

#112 2010-07-15 19:26:08

adriano
Website

The latest version (1.8) for me is perfect smile
Now you should implement automount function like thunar smile

Italian ArchLinux User
My projects on my homepage: www.obliquo.net

#113 2010-07-16 17:33:03

archman-cro
Website

@adriano: I'll agree with you only if it won't have any performance impact. Anyway, I don't really care about automounting, since I just keybind the mounting, and that's it. smile
One feature request if you're not completely freaked out cause of em already big_smile. Maybe a file ownership list in file properties? So it lists all users owning that file, etc...

#114 2010-07-16 17:59:17

karabaja4
Website

archman-cro wrote:

@adriano: I'll agree with you only if it won't have any performance impact. Anyway, I don't really care about automounting, since I just keybind the mounting, and that's it. smile
One feature request if you're not completely freaked out cause of em already big_smile. Maybe a file ownership list in file properties? So it lists all users owning that file, etc...

Agreed, just keybind automounts via udisks....

BTW, I noticed that properties is only available on folders.. Maybe you could make it available on files too? Also, it would be nice if properties option of multiple selected files would be available so that total filesize is displayed...

#115 2010-07-17 17:24:55

Wittfella

Wittfella's come through with the goods smile

Changelog wrote:

1.9    18-July-2010
- added a copy file progress dialog.
- added a 'view' context menu to the toolbars. Needed if you hide the menu for instance.
- added a 'layout lock' mode which removes the dock titles and toolbar handles.
- changed the menu to a toolbar, can be moved, hidden etc.

#116 2010-07-17 17:50:54

archman-cro
Website

Quite a beast it is now. smile The only thing is those crappy wide icons. Will test this release. Thanks! smile

#117 2010-07-17 18:28:58

karabaja4
Website

QTFM is extremely nice now... few more bugs:

- File copy works very nice, except when copying one large file (like 8gb image file), then the copy window and the main window freeze until file copy is finished (and it doesn't show the progress).

bigfile2_thumb.png

- Also, custom action on details view doesn't work right, for example "Extract here" on bz2:

tar jxf %f

does this:

/bin/tar: 241: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: KB: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: bz2: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: File: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: 4/17/10: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: 12\:41: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: AM: Not found in archive
/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

(seems like it takes wrong argument like file info instead of filename - mind you this is in details view, in other views it seem to work fine).

Thanks for all your work!

P.S. What I was mentioning before, the sorting thing on startup, it seems noticable only on details view. Try to start qtfm in details view to see the effect, files noticably re-arrange themselves. Not a bug but kinda annoying ^^

Last edited by karabaja4 (2010-07-17 21:57:38)

#118 2010-07-17 19:02:50

fiinix

Wow, the layout changes are astonishing! Thanks!! The feeling of watching the software grow like this is just awesome big_smile And the feeling of handling the file manager just got a lot better.

1. A bug snuck in: if I'm not too stupid to use them, the shortcuts ctrl+[x,c,v] and del don't work anymore.
EDIT: Seems I actually was too stupid to use them. Don't know what I did wrong, but it works again.

2. Also, I just had to try it: if you pick all of the toolbars to be invisible (and switched to locked layout before) there is no gui way to let them show up again tongue I removed the config files to get the menus back roll But that was when I noticed the right click menu on the scroll bar smile Like Kenan Thompson would say: What up with that?

3.a) The copy in progress bar is an important addition, but the instance of qtFM that startet the progress isn't usable while copying. Others are. Can you do something about that?

3.b) The progress bar only shows the progress of the numbers of copied files. How about showing the progress of the transfered size?

4. About the tree view: the deeper I go into the folders, the more folder names are cut off by "...". It would be nice to see whats behind that, while hovering over them with the mouse (like a tooltip) - if possible without delay...

5. About the removable devices in the Bookmars view: they are really nice there. But after plugging the device in, it only shows up after starting another instance of qtFM. The same for disappearing after unmounting. It would be really nice if the quick views of those devices would appear/disappear automatically.

6. Unmounting works really nice as a custom action, but is there a way to make it only apply to folders instead of everything (*) ? Of what "Filetype" (shown as a category in "Custom actions") are folders?

7. Right click on a bookmark shows remove. How about rename too?

Don't get me wrong: if I have too many points of questions/suggestions it's just because I like your program so much smile That leads to spending some major time testing it wink Each addition to Version 1.9 is really great!

@Everyone: vote for qtFMs inclusion in [community]!

Last edited by fiinix (2010-07-17 19:07:50)

#119 2010-07-17 19:53:51

anonymous_user

1. The view options should be radio buttons instead of allowing each one to be toggled. If I select Detail view first then select Icon view, it does nothing. I have to first unselect Detail view then select Icon view.

And if you do make them into radio buttons, you should add List view or Normal view.

2. If I sort by type, the folders will be sorted randomly and not alphabetically, however the files will be sorted alphabetically. Also would be it possible to have folder first (before files)? Sorting by type makes the .gtkrc-2.0 file show first.

#120 2010-07-17 21:39:04

archman-cro
Website

fiinix wrote:

5. About the removable devices in the Bookmars view: they are really nice there. But after plugging the device in, it only shows up after starting another instance of qtFM. The same for disappearing after unmounting. It would be really nice if the quick views of those devices would appear/disappear automatically.

I can agree to this only if FM doesn't take any more load than usually, cause I consider qtFM the best, lightest, fastest and most efficient do-what-you-need-to-do FM at its 1.9 release. smile
Performance is really needed out of FM. We don't need some resource sluggish hog, even if it gets many many useful features.

Thank you, Wittfella, for the amazing work! Cheeeers! smile

#121 2010-07-17 21:59:02

archman-cro
Website

http://i27.tinypic.com/24xhtm9.jpg
Stretch with other icon set, unfortunately. hmm
Anyone has an idea of why does it appear like that?
Can anyone test with those: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ … ent=127174

#122 2010-07-17 22:20:18

anonymous_user

I found these icons themes to have stretched icons in qtfm:

Alliance dark panel
Elementary
Erectus
Gnome-Colors
Humanities
Simplygrey

However these work fine:

Breathe
Gnome
nuoveXT
Tango
Vibrant SVG

I have no idea what the pattern is (if any).

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-07-17 22:21:56)

#123 2010-07-18 00:16:11

fiinix

Icon sets from [community]: Tangerine shows document icons normally, but folders and multimedia icons streched. Human shows folder icons correctly but the rest like Tangerine. Oxygen icons work fine.

archman-cro, I totally agree with you. If performance would be suffering: how about a refresh button, that checks on click for files, folders, bookmarks, or whatever is checked in the beginning? Maybe in the Navigation field or a separate button...? idk...

anonymous_user, I also thought about the radio buttons. Would be easier and more straight forward indeed... But the feature that sorting remembers the previous order and sorts internally after the latest sort category (same Type => sort those by file) would be really cool. I think konqueror did that, but for me it's so long ago, that I don't even bother anymore. Would be nice to have that old feature back.

Great choice for the main program icon btw^^ Ah, I almost forgot, something easy for a change: the window title is qtFM v1.x - but how about the path one is currently in? maybe in front of it or maybe the title is only the path...? In an "About" Option one could read about the rest...

#124 2010-07-18 01:16:06

archman-cro
Website

Update to anonymous_user's stretched/normal list:

Stretched:
Gnome 2.18
Gnome Alternative
Humility
SmoothGNOME

Normal:
Humanity-PNG
Stilllife

#125 2010-07-18 01:57:30

Wintervenom

I get [the same icon scaling issue] another user and user above had previously mentioned.  The icon set is of LaGaDesk.

Last edited by Wintervenom (2010-07-18 01:58:05)

Board footer