You are not logged in.

#151 2010-07-22 10:53:29

fiinix

Re: qtFM - Small, fast, light Qt filemanager

Japanlinux wrote:

Also, would it be possible to add that to this program; the ability to use the gtk theme? Or would that just be bloat in the code?

Since everyone who uses Qt hat qtconfig, a seperate setting would be unnecessary imho.

I got a bug here: every time I delete a file or a folder, after correctly doing its job qtFM tells me:

Could not delete some items...do you have the right permissions?

Since the job is done trouble-free, this message can't be intended. Can anyone confirm this?

#152 2010-07-22 15:50:48

Nihathrael
Website

fiinix wrote:

I got a bug here: every time I delete a file or a folder, after correctly doing its job qtFM tells me:

Since the job is done trouble-free, this message can't be intended. Can anyone confirm this?

Nope, it's working fine here (both deleting a dir and a file).

Unknown Horizons - Open source real-time strategy game with the comfy Anno 1602 feeling!

#153 2010-07-22 16:00:25

shemz

Japanlinux wrote:

does it not have automounting?

Isnt it a nice "feature" not to have unneccessary bloat of code to these simple things? mount/umount for removable drives and fstab for permanent drives.

#154 2010-07-22 16:15:19

archman-cro
Website

@shemz: I strongly agree with you on that one! Simplicity needed. smile

#155 2010-07-22 18:16:26

karabaja4
Website

fiinix wrote:

Do you use latest 2.0? I had the same issues in older versions but it was all fixed.

#156 2010-07-22 22:11:09

Japanlinux

Thanks for the tip with qtconfig. such an easy solution...:rolleyes:
But qtfm works a bit funny after that. I use pekwm, and if I open qtfm from my right-click menu or from the run option (which is essentially pekwm's version of gmrun), qtfm doesn't adopt all the colors of my gtk theme. The scrollbar for example. However, if I open qtfm from the terminal, it uses the gtk theme correctly...

any help?

#157 2010-07-23 01:45:42

fiinix

archman-cro wrote:

@shemz: I strongly agree with you on that one! Simplicity needed. smile

Yeah, initially I thought that mounting partitions would be a file managers job too. But managing partitions and managing whats on them are two different things which, if you want to make the most simple software, don't have to be covered both in one program. From the start udev/fstab manages which partitions go where. qtFM accesses the files and folders there and does with them what you want it to do. Thats why now I am happy to use udev for handling automount (and umount through custom actions to do safe removals). And I'm happy to be able to use simple but still adjustable software like qtFM, which fits perfectly in my simple lightweight system.

karabaja4 wrote:

Do you use latest 2.0? I had the same issues in older versions but it was all fixed.

Yes, I have Version 2.0-1 but it's interesting that you got the same error before...
Edit: I removed the settings, which might have been from a previous version and now everything works like intended. Thanks for the response^^

Last edited by fiinix (2010-07-23 01:51:23)

#158 2010-07-23 03:48:40

anonymous_user

1. Is qtfm missing a forward button on purpose?

2. Is it possible to make my mouse's backward/forward buttons work in qtfm?

3. Is it possible to make qtfm stop adding my external drives to the bookmarks list?

4. Is it possible to manually sort the custom actions?

5. When viewing a thumbnail for a small image (anything smaller than 48px) its enlarged or blurry:

screenshot-1279858753.png

screenshot-1279858791.png

6. For the bookmarks pane, is it possible to allow the user click across the entire pane instead of having to click near the item name:

screenshot-1279858563.png

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-07-23 04:20:37)

#159 2010-07-23 09:17:21

shemz

fiinix wrote:

From the start udev/fstab manages which partitions go where. qtFM accesses the files and folders there and does with them what you want it to do.

Not entirely true. udev's job was not to mount your partitions, or to provide any sort of dus notifications. HAL was designed for this purpose. udev is a small little peice of kernel which provides dynamic access to devices in userspace by creating /dev links for the connected devices. However newer versions of udev do have provision to execute rule based hierarchial commands that can do, for example, automounting for identified partitions (I think udev and DeviceKit are now being developed to replace HAL completely) . But back in the kernel 2.4 days, mount/umount used to be the only way to do it (atleast I didn't know any way to automate the procedure).

#160 2010-07-23 11:53:27

fiinix

shemz, thanks for the explanation, but what I actually meant with "start" was the boot up process. I wanted to say something like: since partitions are handled from the system even on the boot up process, the file manager does not have to take care of such things, hence a really lightweight and simple file manager shouldn't. What it should do is show the results of device managing and offer appropriate file managing.

#161 2010-07-23 20:06:16

shemz

Oh ok. I took the other meaning of start; start of the development of udev. big_smile

#162 2010-07-24 14:04:55

na12

This is not just fast but also usable and functional little thing. Well done.

#163 2010-07-24 20:14:43

anonymous_user

7a. Enable drag and drop between windows and into folders.

7b. Also enable cut and paste between windows. Currently when I try this, the window where I paste ends up closing.

8. When copying file(s) into a directory where a file already has the same name, qtfm should prompt the user to overwrite the files or if they prefer renaming the new files.

9. When a file's name is too long, there is an ellipsis at the end and I cannot read the filename even when I select it. I have to rename to actually see the entire name.

#164 2010-07-24 20:57:48

fiinix

anonymous_user wrote:

7a. Enable drag and drop between windows and into folders.

7b. Also enable cut and paste between windows. Currently when I try this, the window where I paste ends up closing.

8. When copying file(s) into a directory where a file already has the same name, qtfm should prompt the user to overwrite the files or if they prefer renaming the new files.

9. When a file's name is too long, there is an ellipsis at the end and I cannot read the filename even when I select it. I have to rename to actually see the entire name.

7a. already works fine here, but I can confirm 7b.

to 8.: I like that qtFM doesn't bother me, when I'm moving files. Copying files however can take some time, so I would like to be asked if I really wanna waste my time with that (maybe even with a comparison of attributes of the same named files?). And: It would be nice if files that are automatically renamed would not be called name.type[1] but name[1].type or else the file icon goes away (for example my system doesn't know avi[1]-files wink)

to 9.: Yeah, I too would like qtFM to show the full name as a tooltip, if the name is cut short to fit in the according space.

#165 2010-07-24 21:56:20

Japanlinux

Well, I like this filemanager now that i've adjusted to it smile One thing that would make things easier for me is if I could set up a custom action to choose the default program to open with. I know that there is an option to choose mimetype in the menu, but I'd rather right-click on the file to access the edit mimetype thing. Can someone tell me the command I would need in order to get the 'Edit filetype' to work through the custom actions thing. Perhaps I'm just lazy, but it just makes more sense to me to access filetype by right clicking rather than selecting the file and then going to the menu...

#166 2010-07-25 01:18:50

fiinix

Japanlinux wrote:

Well, I like this filemanager now that i've adjusted to it smile

Interesting. On my end, this filemanager adjusted to me cool

Since I set file associations only once, I think a Custom action would be the way to go (if possible). Good idea. I for myself like to play my videos with totem, but HD-videos with smplayer, so sometimes there are files, that I like to play with another player. "Open with" comes to mind. Would that be possible as a Custom action? Would open with fit to this nice file manager?? What do you guys think?

#167 2010-07-25 02:53:50

archman-cro
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

I'd like that feature!

fiinix wrote:

Since I set file associations only once, I think a Custom action would be the way to go (if possible). Good idea. I for myself like to play my videos with totem, but HD-videos with smplayer, so sometimes there are files, that I like to play with another player. "Open with" comes to mind. Would that be possible as a Custom action? Would open with fit to this nice file manager?? What do you guys think?

Well, if "Open with" dialog was hardcoded in, I'd like it to be only for opening with other apps than the default ones. So, to choose the filetype, for me it's just ok to use Edit --> Edit filetype. That way there's the simplicity and a feature. smile

#168 2010-07-26 08:26:13

Wittfella

Hey Folks, back again, been away for a few days.

Changelog wrote:

2.1    26-July-2010
- added keyboard activation of bookmarks.
- added new '%F' variable for custom actions to return files/folders with full path.
- modified copy/paste naming for existing files to preserve suffix.
- modified 'folder' custom actions, now appear in tree, bookmarks, list and whitespace context menus.
- removed 'Terminal' action from tree and whitespace menu, implement with custom action.
- fixed bug with custom actions not working properly with files containing spaces in the name.
- fixed bug with copy/paste between different instances.

@anonymous_user - You can arrange the custom action items by dragging them around and it changes the order they are displayed in the context menu. File specific actions are at the top near 'open', folder actions are always at the bottom near 'Properties' and '*' global actions are in the middle area.  I'm not sure about your edit/ellipse problem.  If I select a file in icon view with a long truncated name and 'edit' it displays the whole thing.

@Japanlinux - I removed the 'Edit filetype' from the context menu because its something that you only do once and then not touch again, so I think having it always in the right-click menu is not needed.  Rather than changing the default app every 3 seconds, you can use custom actions to add 'Open with XXX' entries for files that you periodically want to open in a different program.  For example with fiinix above, he could have the default app for avi's set to Totem and add a custom action for avi files called 'Open with smplayer'.

Auto-mounting - I don't think its the filemanagers job to be automounting things.  I think these days udev should be handling this.  Personally I don't use auto-mounting, when I plug something in I just mount it manually where I want it.  I gave up trying to configure automounting because it was always changing with HAL or udev or blah-blah.  Happily it seems things are standardizing with udev so thats probably good.  There is a case for 'un-mounting' from the file manager which you can do with a custom action.

Also quick tip, if you a trying to do something complex with a custom action you could create a script file that does what you want and call that.

Cheers,
Wittfella

Last edited by Wittfella (2010-07-26 08:34:03)

#169 2010-07-26 09:38:21

archman-cro
Website

Amazing! I've already installed the new version and am testing it. A few more ideas, though (that have been echoed before, and you may have em on your TODO already, but, here they go again):

- option for a "one click" activation (so I can enter folders or run apps with only one left mouse click) (It'd be cool if it can be activated only in .conf, not from the FM itself, so the menu doesn't get bloated)
- properties of a file, which would display the file size, permissions and the time of creation and modification

Cheers! smile

#170 2010-07-26 11:58:09

fiinix

Awesome, thanks!

There is a problem with the otherwise great feature of context menus in bookmark view and tree view. If you right click on the folder, qtFM immediately switches into it. My problem: I have a custom action to unmount a folder. I can't do it this way, because the folder is always in use, when I try to unmount it by right clicking on it in bookmark view. So for now what I have to do is:
1. click on the bookmark entry
2. go one folder up
3. in file view right click the folder of the partition and click unmount (custom action)
What I would like to be able to do:
1. in bookmark view right click the folder of the partition and click unmount (custom action)

Wittfella wrote:

For example with fiinix above, he could have the default app for avi's set to Totem and add a custom action for avi files called 'Open with smplayer'.

Nice, thanks. Didn't think about it roll

Copy&paste in different instances works, but (bug:) cut doesn't. it also copies the file. Inside the same instance everything works fine.

I still have an issue with tree view:
1. I start qtFM in a folder in my home path. tree view shows it too.
2. after that: the folders are rearranged (sorted by name) and some invisible folders get sorted above my start folder.
3. I don't see my start folder anymore.
This is only a problem in the beginning. Doesn't really hurt though...

I would like some resonance to the refresh button idea:
1. Opening the beloved qtFM (or already having it open),
2. attaching external hard drive,
3. folders and files (from automount or manual mount) pop up in tree view and file view
Now you don't see those partitions in the bookmark view. What I therefore do is:
4. close qtFM
5. open qtFM
There they are. More comfy would be:
3b. folders and files (from automount or manual mount) pop up in tree view and file view and bookmarks view
But maybe that would cost performance, for qtFM would always have to check for new partitions. Therefore my suggestion:
4b. Click on an (optional) refresh button to look for new partitions and add them to the bookmark view - just like qtFM does when starting.
That refresh button could also look for file changes (downloading file, etc.) so maybe qtFM only looks for changes every 10 seconds and only "refresh" gives the current state of your files...?

Thank you for removing terminal everywhere but in the address bar. Looks a lot cleaner now. But there is a bug: that integrated terminal button doesn't open the folder one is in, if it contains spaces.

#171 2010-07-26 12:31:21

Wittfella

fiinix wrote:

There is a problem with the otherwise great feature of context menus in bookmark view and tree view. If you right click on the folder, qtFM immediately switches into it. My problem: I have a custom action to unmount a folder.

Ahh, didn't think about that, I'll look at it.

fiinix wrote:

bookmarks...would cost performance, for qtFM would always have to check for new partitions.

As you know the filesystem is dynamic but it only checks for and automounts bookmarks at startup.  I actually did play with monitoring the /mnt and /media directory at all times but for some reason I left it out, maybe I thought it was resource intensive.  I'll have another look at it and see if it can be done efficiently.  I also didn't think it was a big deal to close/open qtfm or plug in the stuff and then start qtfm.

fiinix wrote:

Thank you for removing terminal everywhere but in the address bar. Looks a lot cleaner now. But there is a bug: that integrated terminal button doesn't open the folder one is in, if it contains spaces.

Damn...always with the spaces sad.  edit. I just tried this and it works fine here, strange!

#172 2010-07-26 14:10:54

fiinix

I removed my ~/.config/qtfm/ again but it didn't help to solve this one. No opening folders in terminal if it contains spaces here. One of the upper folders of it is opened then.

But that made me stumble upon two other bugs (that are both not really disturbing):
1. if the last bookmark is removed, qtfm closes with segmentation fault.
2. if there is only one bookmark, you can only switch to it once. After that it is always marked and doesn't react on click anymore.

Wittfella wrote:

I also didn't think it was a big deal to close/open qtfm or plug in the stuff and then start qtfm.

True. But that means I can't just keep it open all the time, to enjoy it's full awesomeness wink It somehow just doesn't feel right to close and reopen a program, to use a feature...
Related to this one: if qtFM is open and then I mount a partition manually, it doesn't always show the mountpoint's content. I've had bookmarks for inside this mountpoint but after choosing them, only those folders were shown. close and reopen helped. I still think a refresh button would be the solution. Maybe inside the view bar...

Wittfella wrote:

You can arrange the custom action items by dragging them around and it changes the order they are displayed in the context menu. File specific actions are at the top near 'open', folder actions are always at the bottom near 'Properties' and '*' global actions are in the middle area.

Edit (forgot to comment on this one;)): Although you can change the order inside the custom action view, it doesn't effect the order in the context menu.

Wittfella wrote:

I'm not sure about your edit/ellipse problem.  If I select a file in icon view with a long truncated name and 'edit' it displays the whole thing.

I understood him this way: the only way to see a files/folders full name, after it is truncated, is to edit it. My suggestion: it would be nice to have a tooltip that shows the full name, while the mouse hovers over the truncated one.

At last another bug which I couldn't recreate: after a while the sort criterias in detail view can't be changed anymore. Clicking on the column headers doesn't affect the files'/folders' order.

Suggestion: the context menu of folders would look a lot cleaner, if "add bookmark" would be removed from it and adding a bookmark would be done by dragging a folder into the bookmark area.
Alternatively (or maybe additionally): dragging a file/folder onto a folder in bookmark view could initiate the according action (like you would drag it onto a folder in tree view).

Last edited by fiinix (2010-07-26 14:22:48)

#173 2010-07-26 14:30:20

fiinix

About the order in the context menu (if the "add bookmark" option would be removed from the context menu). How about this one:

1. open and specific actions (avi/pdf/folder/whatever)
2. actions we can't live without (cut, copy, paste, rename, delete) - maybe separated because cut+copy+paste kinda belong together
3. all stuff actions (like properties [which might be added for files in the future?], compress, etc.)

"Term here" for example would go right under open, which I think makes sense, because it is kind of opening the folder with another program. What do you think about that?

Last edited by fiinix (2010-07-26 14:32:01)

#174 2010-07-26 15:32:49

anonymous_user

fiinix wrote:
Wittfella wrote:

I'm not sure about your edit/ellipse problem.  If I select a file in icon view with a long truncated name and 'edit' it displays the whole thing.

I understood him this way: the only way to see a files/folders full name, after it is truncated, is to edit it. My suggestion: it would be nice to have a tooltip that shows the full name, while the mouse hovers over the truncated one.

Yes that was my point. I don't want to rename a file just to see the entire name.

Here you can see the ellipse on both unselected and selected files:
screenshot-1280158154.png

#175 2010-07-26 23:32:19

anonymous_user

I cannot change MP3 to open in SMPlayer. I change the filetype to open with smplayer.desktop but it just opens in mplayer instead.

Also after killing mplayer, I get a Firefox download dialog box for the mp3.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-07-26 23:32:45)

Board footer