You are not logged in.

#576 2011-12-05 12:44:30

randooom

Re: The i3 thread

Hi,

does anyone else have problems with playing youtube videos in fullscreen?

I get the following view, when I click on the fullscreen button on a youtube link:

http://i.imgur.com/ppl6I.png
(Basically the video is as large as the large player option on youtube, but no real fullscreen size.)

I'm not sure if this is a problem with i3 or something else.

Thanks.

Last edited by randooom (2011-12-05 12:47:12)

#577 2011-12-05 14:32:01

seiichiro0185
Website

@randooom:

Do you by any chance have multiple monitors? I get the same as soon as I use a second monitor on my Laptop. The used window manager doesn't make a difference (same happend when I was still using openbox or xfce).

My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

#578 2011-12-05 14:45:04

randooom

seiichiro0185 wrote:

@randooom:

Do you by any chance have multiple monitors? I get the same as soon as I use a second monitor on my Laptop. The used window manager doesn't make a difference (same happend when I was still using openbox or xfce).

Yes, that seems to be the reason. Thanks.
i3 is not at fault smile

#579 2011-12-06 14:21:25

delexi

Atsutane wrote:

Okay so there are no version problems. So just to avoid another set of misunderstandings: You don't have any other tray running and when you start an application that definitely uses a tray icon(skype,dropbox), it does not show up?

Problem solved, the trays do show up i just didn't open any application with active tray icon. I was confused because i expected the network manager applet, some sound icon and all these things to show up, so i clamed the tray area to not be working although i did not have any aplication running that uses it.
Sorry to bother you and thanks for your help!

#580 2011-12-06 21:58:04

ANOKNUSA

Hey, everybody.  I've recently fallen in love with i3--much simpler than awesome, and I think I prefer manual tiling to preconfigured layouts. A small issue: I'm trying to get i3lock to launch with Mod + F3. Here's the line I stuck in my config file:

bindsym $mod+F3 exec 'i3lock -i /home/anoknusa/Images/Wallpapers/Arch/i3.png -p win'

The "i3lock" string above works fine when executed manually, but the hotkeys won't stick. Any suggestions?

#581 2011-12-07 20:58:38

Atsutane
Package Maintainer (PM)

ANOKNUSA wrote:

Hey, everybody.  I've recently fallen in love with i3--much simpler than awesome, and I think I prefer manual tiling to preconfigured layouts. A small issue: I'm trying to get i3lock to launch with Mod + F3. Here's the line I stuck in my config file:

bindsym $mod+F3 exec 'i3lock -i /home/anoknusa/Images/Wallpapers/Arch/i3.png -p win'

The "i3lock" string above works fine when executed manually, but the hotkeys won't stick. Any suggestions?

Drop the quotes:

bindsym $mod+F3 exec i3lock -p win

With quotes it will search for a "i3lock -i /..." binary in your $PATH, also due to our cairo from [extra] missing xcb image support, i3lock does not support any images. ;-)

[blog - mostly german] - [JabberID: atsutane 0x40 freethoughts 0x2E de] - [identi.ca]

#582 2011-12-09 22:35:16

ANOKNUSA

Thanks for the reply, atsutane, but your suggestion still doesn't work.  Also, I'm using i3lock-libcairo from the AUR, which allows images to be used.

#583 2011-12-10 14:00:35

Atsutane
Package Maintainer (PM)

Install the xorg-xmessage package and insert this into your config:

bindsym $mod+F3 exec xmessage Test for F3

Or check the logs though I have to say that the line from my post works fine on my machines.

[blog - mostly german] - [JabberID: atsutane 0x40 freethoughts 0x2E de] - [identi.ca]

#584 2011-12-11 00:35:38

thomas78

Creating a window that is assigned to a different workspace does not automatically switch to that workspace. Is there a way to have the focus follow the window between workspaces? I know i can assign a hotkey but that is not practical for all applications ie opening a file from a file manager.

Last edited by thomas78 (2011-12-11 00:35:58)

#585 2011-12-25 19:19:59

oldpond

I can't seem to get the i3status to appear.  I have nvidia-drivers and I use --force-xinerama.

My config:

# This file has been auto-generated by i3-config-wizard(1).
# It will not be overwritten, so edit it as you like.
#
# Should you change your keyboard layout somewhen, delete
# this file and re-run i3-config-wizard(1).
#

# i3 config file (v4)
#
# Please see http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html for a complete reference!

set $mod Mod1

# font for window titles. ISO 10646 = Unicode
font -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-C-70-iso10646-1

# Use Mouse+$mod to drag floating windows to their wanted position
floating_modifier $mod

# start a terminal
bindsym $mod+Return exec i3-sensible-terminal

# kill focused window
bindsym $mod+Shift+Q kill

# start dmenu (a program launcher)
bindsym $mod+d exec dmenu_run

# change focus
bindsym $mod+j focus left
bindsym $mod+k focus down
bindsym $mod+l focus up
bindsym $mod+semicolon focus right

# alternatively, you can use the cursor keys:
bindsym $mod+Left focus left
bindsym $mod+Down focus down
bindsym $mod+Up focus up
bindsym $mod+Right focus right

# move focused window
bindsym $mod+Shift+J move left
bindsym $mod+Shift+K move down
bindsym $mod+Shift+L move up
bindsym $mod+Shift+colon move right

# alternatively, you can use the cursor keys:
bindsym $mod+Shift+Left move left
bindsym $mod+Shift+Down move down
bindsym $mod+Shift+Up move up
bindsym $mod+Shift+Right move right

# split in horizontal orientation
bindsym $mod+h split h

# split in vertical orientation
bindsym $mod+v split v

# enter fullscreen mode for the focused container
bindsym $mod+f fullscreen

# change container layout (stacked, tabbed, default)
bindsym $mod+s layout stacking
bindsym $mod+w layout tabbed
bindsym $mod+e layout default

# toggle tiling / floating
bindsym $mod+Shift+space floating toggle

# change focus between tiling / floating windows
bindsym $mod+space focus mode_toggle

# focus the parent container
bindsym $mod+a focus parent

# focus the child container
#bindcode $mod+d focus child

# switch to workspace
bindsym $mod+1 workspace 1:www
bindsym $mod+2 workspace 2:comms
bindsym $mod+3 workspace 3:config
bindsym $mod+4 workspace 4:code
bindsym $mod+5 workspace 5
bindsym $mod+6 workspace 6
bindsym $mod+7 workspace 7
bindsym $mod+8 workspace 8
bindsym $mod+9 workspace 9
bindsym $mod+0 workspace 10

# move focused container to workspace
bindsym $mod+Shift+exclam move workspace 1
bindsym $mod+Shift+at move workspace 2
bindsym $mod+Shift+numbersign move workspace 3
bindsym $mod+Shift+dollar move workspace 4
bindsym $mod+Shift+percent move workspace 5
bindsym $mod+Shift+asciicircum move workspace 6
bindsym $mod+Shift+ampersand move workspace 7
bindsym $mod+Shift+asterisk move workspace 8
bindsym $mod+Shift+parenleft move workspace 9
bindsym $mod+Shift+parenright move workspace 10

# reload the configuration file
bindsym $mod+Shift+C reload
# restart i3 inplace (preserves your layout/session, can be used to upgrade i3)
bindsym $mod+Shift+R restart
# exit i3 (logs you out of your X session)
bindsym $mod+Shift+E exit

# resize window (you can also use the mouse for that)
mode "resize" {
        # These bindings trigger as soon as you enter the resize mode

# They resize the border in the direction you pressed, e.g.
        # when pressing left, the window is resized so that it has
        # more space on its left

bindsym j resize shrink left 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+J resize grow   left 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym k resize shrink down 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+K resize grow   down 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym l resize shrink up 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+L resize grow   up 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym semicolon resize shrink right 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+colon resize grow   right 10 px or 10 ppt

# same bindings, but for the arrow keys
bindsym Left resize shrink left 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+Left resize grow   left 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym Down resize shrink down 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+Down resize grow   down 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym Up resize shrink up 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+Up resize grow   up 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym Right resize shrink right 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+Right resize grow   right 10 px or 10 ppt

# back to normal: Enter or Escape
bindsym Return mode "default"
bindsym Escape mode "default"
}

bindsym $mod+r mode "resize"

# Start i3bar to display a workspace bar (plus the system information i3status
# finds out, if available)
bar {
        status_command i3status
}

My i3status.conf:

general {
        colors = true
        interval = 5
}

order += "disk /"
order += "wireless wlan0"
order += "ethernet eth0"
order += "battery 0"
order += "cpu_temperature 0"
order += "load"
order += "time"

wireless wlan0 {
        format_up = "W: (%quality at %essid) %ip"
        format_down = "W: down"
}

ethernet eth0 {
        # if you use %speed, i3status requires root privileges
        format_up = "E: %ip (%speed)"
	format_down = "E: down"
}

battery 0 {
        format = "%status %percentage %remaining"
}

time {
	format = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"
}

load {
	format = "%1min"
}

cpu_temperature 0 {
	format = "T: %degrees °C"
}

disk "/" {
	format = "%free"
}

oldpond = glide

#586 2011-12-25 19:40:37

oldpond

Found the problem.  I started i3status from the console with this command:

i3status | dzen2 -fg white -ta r -w 1280 \
-fn "-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-C-70-iso8859-1"

It complained about failing to open the thermal zone.  I commented that out of /etc/i3status.conf and it started fine.

oldpond = glide

#587 2011-12-26 04:59:49

oldpond

Another strange i3status issue, after editing my /etc/i3status.conf I have two copies of the status running: one that I have shortened, and another default one with empty fields.

oldpond = glide

#588 2011-12-26 16:14:01

oldpond

The duplicate i3status issue is a common problem.  A simple typo in the i3status.conf file will create it.  In my case I had "+=" in the first entry "order" line where I should have had only "=".  A common mistake when editing the file.  There is also a known bug with it in that mod+shft+r files to send the correct signal to i3status and you end up with duplicate copies of i3status running.  So, fyi to those who have tripped over this like I did.

oldpond = glide

#589 2011-12-26 17:17:42

archman-cro
Website

Yeah @ duplicate copies of i3status. Just stumbled upon it when creating my own script for the status bar. You need to (p)kill your script prior to restarting.

#590 2011-12-26 18:25:34

archman-cro
Website

Strange thing about the version 4.1.1 (or maybe it's just me): I have "assign [class="libreoffice-calc"] 6:misc" in my config, but Calc (or Writer, same problem) never opens on the assigned workspace. Instead it opens on the current one..

#591 2011-12-26 18:56:57

oldpond

The irc channel #i3 on irc.twice-irc.de is very active and very helpful for the edge case issues.  I recommend hanging out there if you are into irc.

oldpond = glide

#592 2011-12-27 08:09:32

Ranmaru

Before I open a new thread for this: does anyone know how I can copy-pasting between different clients in i3? Namely between Chrome or Firefox and a terminal window respectively Vim?
I can't seem to find anything on that.

Thank you.

#593 2011-12-27 08:50:51

oldpond

Try autocutsel.

Last edited by oldpond (2011-12-27 08:51:12)

oldpond = glide

#594 2011-12-27 13:13:00

PotatoesMaster

@Ranmaru:
In order to use X primary and secondary clipboards, the easiest is to have X support enabled in vim.
The vim package in extra doesn't provide it. You can install gvim, even if you don't want the GTK interface (good old vim is included). Then, * and + registers will correspond to X clipboards ("+p will paste secondary clipboard content, :help registers in vim gives more info).
If you don't want gvim and have time to waste, you can also compile vim yourself to enable X support (this will make vim updates a pain).
If you choose the hard way,  there is a workaround using xclip (xsel would do, too).

#595 2011-12-28 03:44:28

Ranmaru

Ah, thank you. That's working nicely.

#596 2011-12-29 05:21:10

JackH79
Website

Loving i3 very much. Having used awesome for a long time, I really like the option to divide manually. Just a couple of questions though:

1) Is it possible to have gaps around the windows (ie have the wallpaper peeking through between tiled (not floating) windows)?

2) Is it possible to follow focus to a workspace automatically when I open an application that has been assigned to a specific workspace (and maybe also switch back to the previous one once the occupying application's closed)?

Thanks

#597 2011-12-29 08:03:52

archman-cro
Website

PotatoesMaster wrote:

@Ranmaru:
In order to use X primary and secondary clipboards, the easiest is to have X support enabled in vim.
The vim package in extra doesn't provide it. You can install gvim, even if you don't want the GTK interface (good old vim is included). Then, * and + registers will correspond to X clipboards ("+p will paste secondary clipboard content, :help registers in vim gives more info).
If you don't want gvim and have time to waste, you can also compile vim yourself to enable X support (this will make vim updates a pain).
If you choose the hard way,  there is a workaround using xclip (xsel would do, too).

There's vim-x in the AUR. Tested and working. smile

#598 2011-12-31 06:51:21

Grus

Hi, I've been having a few problems with i3 and I was wondering if anyone could help me with them. I've only found this thread recently, but I've read through it and couldn't find any answers, so I really hope someone here knows one or two answers to my questions.

I've previously been using i3-wm-old from the AUR, because the newer i3 did away with i3-wsbar and replaced it with i3bar, which didn't work nearly as well as the old i3-wsbar for me, and only generated the following problems.
I use dzen2 to display all relevant stuff on my bar, like date, time, CPU temperature and so on (I used to use i3status together with dzen2, but I dropped it because it wasn't necessary anymore), but the newer versions of i3 still show the dzen2-bar when a window is fullscreened, but the older i3 did not. Fullscreen mode is pretty much pointless now if I use dzen2, so I was wondering...

1. Is it possible somehow to get dzen2/i3 to behave correctly again? If I recall correctly, there were some options to start dzen2 with to "lower" the shown bar, but it either put the dzen2-bar below everything else (making it invisible), or it was still on top of everything else, including fullscreen windows. If this isn't possible, are there any alternatives to dzen2 that will behave correctly? I'm kind of forced to use it, because there's a lot of shit I want to display (output of dmesg, sed-ed output of lm_sensors, the current weekday and so on...).

2. Is there any way to get the old i3-wsbar back, and replace i3bar with it?

3. This is unrelated to any of the above dzen2-problems, but everytime I launch i3, it display the nagbar that there's something wrong with my config, but it won't allow me to click on "Show Errors" or "Edit Config". I can close the nagbar just fine, but neither of those both buttons will work. I've already figured out that the culprit is the line "bindsym $mod+v exec dmenu_run". The line itself works fine though, and I can't find anything wrong with it. In fact, the exact same line, but with the v replaced by a d, doesn't show the nagbar. The line with the d is default; I just wanted to change it back to opening it with v, because that's what I was used to. Is there any reason why bindsym $mod+v exec dmenu_run shows the nagbar, but bindsym $mod+d exec dmenu_run doesn't? Also, is there any way to disable the nagbar, or to keep it from starting/showing?

In either case, thanks anyway. I hope someone out there is able to help me, because I really don't want to ditch i3 because of these smallish gripes, but they just make using it so annoying.

Last edited by Grus (2011-12-31 07:06:02)

#599 2011-12-31 13:08:54

beatle

Grus wrote:

3. This is unrelated to any of the above dzen2-problems, but everytime I launch i3, it display the nagbar that there's something wrong with my config, but it won't allow me to click on "Show Errors" or "Edit Config". I can close the nagbar just fine, but neither of those both buttons will work. I've already figured out that the culprit is the line "bindsym $mod+v exec dmenu_run". The line itself works fine though, and I can't find anything wrong with it. In fact, the exact same line, but with the v replaced by a d, doesn't show the nagbar. The line with the d is default; I just wanted to change it back to opening it with v, because that's what I was used to. Is there any reason why bindsym $mod+v exec dmenu_run shows the nagbar, but bindsym $mod+d exec dmenu_run doesn't? Also, is there any way to disable the nagbar, or to keep it from starting/showing?

I had very similar problem this night. Please double check your config looking for lines where "$mod+v" is already binded to another command. I suspect that you haven't changed the default binding for "$mod+v":

# split in vertical orientation
bindsym $mod+v split v

If so, you will have to change it to some other unused combination. I use "$mod+x" for horizontal split (easy for me to remember as - order windows on X-axis) and "$mod+y" for vertical split (order windows on Y-axis) because I needed my 'h' back for normal vim like HJKL navigation. (I can't quite understand why JKL; is the default. Very confusing imho.)

Hope it helps!

#600 2012-01-02 00:16:49

kcirick

Hello,

After a long pause, I'm coming back to using/playing with linux again. In the 6 months of my absense, there seem to have been some advancement in i3, and mostly toward good direction, however I am sort of not liking this bit:

i3 treats workspace names beginning with a number in a slightly special way. Normally, named workspaces are ordered the way they appeared. When they start with a number, i3 will order them numerically.

I tend to like to name my workspaces, and i don't like having it start with a number. But then my workspaces will not be in order by the keymap (for example keybind mod+4 (workspace "foo") was opened before creating a workspace "bar" mapped by keybind mod+2, then i3bar reads " foo bar", where it should be "bar foo" because 2 is left of 4... I hope I'm making myself clear...

Does anyone know where I can fiddle around in the source to avoid the sorting of the workspace names (just keep it in order of keymaps, just like it was in earlier i3 version)? I am almost sure it's in src/workspace.c, but I can't see which lines they correspond to... i3 is getting a little complex for me to go in and look at the code... I hope someone can point out where I can go

Board footer