You are not logged in.

#1251 2015-03-21 17:34:51

stfn

Re: The i3 thread

lounge wrote:

I see on screenshots  that most i3 users have no window borders ,how I do that ?

See https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_b … ew_windows

#1252 2015-04-01 13:03:37

LeoFa

i have a problem when i upgrade i3-wm package to i3-wm-4.10.1. The icons in i3status/i3bar dissappear.

i have this for my fonts in my i3 config:

font pango: Source Code Pro Medium 9
font pango: FontAwesome Regular 9

and for i3status

bar {
font pango:Source Code Pro for Powerline, FontAwesome Regular, Icons 9
}

this works for i3-wm 3.9, but not for 4.10, any idea's?
(for now i downgraded i3-wm)

#1253 2015-04-01 13:35:52

ANOKNUSA

LeoFa wrote:

i have a problem when i upgrade i3-wm package to i3-wm-4.10.1. The icons in i3status/i3bar dissappear.

Try placing both of the fonts for your titlebars on a single line, as you do with your i3bar font. I don't see anything about font declaration in the release notes for the big update spree that happened this past month. There's no existing bug report for it either, so consider filing a bug report if that doesn't work.

There is a chance, however, that the font itself is to blame. I'm not sure how Font Awesome measures up to encoding standards.

#1254 2015-04-01 14:27:53

LeoFa

ANOKNUSA wrote:

Try placing both of the fonts for your titlebars on a single line, as you do with your i3bar font.

thanks but that did not work, might be that i3-wm 3.9 is still patched and 3.10 is not, eventough i  don't have  i3bar-xbm-icons patch installed?

Last edited by LeoFa (2015-04-01 14:28:13)

#1255 2015-04-01 15:13:49

LeoFa

Ok i figured it out. big_smile
It seems that i3-wm 3.10 does not handle the font code from fontawesome https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/cheatsheet/ like so



in i3status.conf you have to paste the actual icon  in there then it works.

#1256 2015-04-15 08:27:59

ramonmaruko

Is there a functionality in i3 that's the same as dwm's "master" concept? For
example, I have a workspace for all my terminals. Its layout is: (a, (b, c, d))
where `a` occupies the left side of the screen, and `b`, `c`, `d` is a v-split
at the right side of the screen.

Basically, I want to swap any window in positions `b`, `c`, `d` to swap with
the window in position `a`. Is this possible with i3wm? I've looked around and
haven't found a mention of this anywhere.

#1257 2015-04-15 11:16:05

runical

If (b,c,d) is one container, you can select it and move it around just like you move around a window. Is that what you are looking for?

#1258 2015-04-15 12:14:05

bleach

within controls you would open a window press mod+h open mod+v open open. then you can move them around and move to a window and fullscreen it. swaping though ya that would be nice there may be a way but I dont know it.

Last edited by bleach (2015-04-15 12:15:01)

#1259 2015-04-17 00:17:03

ramonmaruko

Wow, didn't know about the move window command until now. Thank you to both of you!

#1260 2015-04-17 00:44:49

bleach

there is not really anything that your looking for.
it can mostly go like this

|--|--|     
|  |--|
|  |--|
|--|--|

|-----|     
|-----|
|-----|                                                                                                                                                        
|-----|

|--|--|                                                                                                                                                        
|--|  |
|--|  |
|--|--|

|-----|     
|-----|
|--|  |
|-----|

I see in aur that there are some patches but nothing specific for swaping.

Last edited by bleach (2015-04-17 01:52:48)

#1261 2015-04-17 01:30:41

LeoFa

How can i focus an application window if it exists or open it if it doesn't, with a single command?

#1262 2015-04-17 01:39:27

progandy

Basically, I want to swap any window in positions `b`, `c`, `d` to swap with
the window in position `a`. Is this possible with i3wm? I've looked around and
haven't found a mention of this anywhere.

Direct swapping is impossible, but you can move the left window in the column and then move one of the other windows left.

+-------+-------+     +---------------+     +---------------+     +-------+-------+
|.......|       |     |.......A.......|     |       A       |     |.......|       |
|.......|   B   |     |...............|     |               |     |.......|   A   |
|.......|       |     +---------------+     +---------------+     |.......|       |
|.......+-------+     |       B       |     |.......B.......|     |.......+-------+
|.......|       |     |               |     |...............|     |.......|       |
|...A...|   C   |     +---------------+     +---------------+     |...B...|   C   |
|.......|       |     |       C       |     |       C       |     |.......|       |
|.......+-------+     |               |     |               |     |.......+-------+
|.......|       |     +---------------+     +---------------+     |.......|       |
|.......|   D   |     |       D       |     |       D       |     |.......|   D   |
|.......|       |     |               |     |               |     |.......|       |
+-------+-------+     +---------------+     +---------------+     +-------+-------+
    A focused             A focused             B focused             B focused
          => Mod-Shift-Right        => Mod-Down        => Mod-Shift-Left

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#1263 2015-04-17 01:45:16

progandy

LeoFa wrote:

Ok i figured it out. big_smile
It seems that i3-wm 3.10 does not handle the font code from fontawesome https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/cheatsheet/ like so



in i3status.conf you have to paste the actual icon  in there then it works.

You should be able to use X11 uncode input to type the hexcode instead of copying the symbol.
Press: Ctrl-Shift-u ; f ; 0 ; 8 ; 3 ; Space
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode_in … ariants.29

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add it to the previous post.

Last edited by progandy (2015-04-17 01:45:58)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#1264 2015-05-15 10:00:58

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I do not (yet?) use i3, but I've been searching around for some description of how multi-monitor support works, perhaps someone could clarify this for me?

Currently on awesome each monitor has its own tags, and I can move windows from one tag to another in the same monitor, or to the active tag in another monitor. No way to move tags themselves.

Is this possible with i3?

Also, while I'm at it, I see that i3 does dynamic tagging (removing tags which do not have any windows), can this be set to 'compact' the numbering as well? So for example if I have tags 1-5 open, and I close the window on tag 3 and then switch out, have tag 4 become tag 3 and tag 5 become tag 4.

Thanks for any reply/input!

EDIT: Oh, and bonus question, is it possible for the same window to appear twice (once on each monitor)? I'm pretty sure its not due to X limitations, but thought I'd ask.

Last edited by ngoonee (2015-05-15 10:13:53)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#1265 2015-05-15 10:21:59

runical

Try reading the section on multi monitor of the online documentation [1]. It explains how it works smile

[1] http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#multi_monitor

#1266 2015-05-15 10:35:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

runical wrote:

Try reading the section on multi monitor of the online documentation [1]. It explains how it works smile

[1] http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#multi_monitor

I did, but I'm not sure whether 'moving a workspace' as mentioned in http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_mo … dr_outputs means... well... I have no idea what it means.

In particular, if I'm understanding it correctly, this would mean that if I had this current window setup, with * marking the active tag:-

MONITOR 1
Tag 1 - 3 windows
Tag 2 - 2 windows *
Tag 3 - 3 windows

MONITOR 2
Tag 1 - 4 windows
Tag 2 - 1 window *

If I'm currently on monitor 2 and want to have Tag 1 shown on monitor 2, I'd have to switch focus from monitor 2 to Monitor 1, switch the active tag to Tag 1, and then shift it over? Or do I misunderstand?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#1267 2015-05-15 11:18:32

runical

Full disclosure: I have never used i3 with multiple monitors as I have a space shortage on my desk as is tongue

ngoonee wrote:

In particular, if I'm understanding it correctly, this would mean that if I had this current window setup, with * marking the active tag:-

MONITOR 1
Tag 1 - 3 windows
Tag 2 - 2 windows *
Tag 3 - 3 windows

MONITOR 2
Tag 1 - 4 windows
Tag 2 - 1 window *

If I'm currently on monitor 2 and want to have Tag 1 shown on monitor 2, I'd have to switch focus from monitor 2 to Monitor 1, switch the active tag to Tag 1, and then shift it over? Or do I misunderstand?

In essence, you are correct. To switch workspace 1 (i3 jargon) over from monitor 1 to monitor 2, you have to switch to that workspace and move it to the other monitor. The only problem is that you add an extra step here. The workspace namespace in i3 is global, so if you want to switch to workspace 1, you just do so. No reason to switch monitor first. There is no workspace 1 on monitor 2 and a workspace 1 on monitor 1. They share the same namespace, so the names have to be unique.

#1268 2015-05-15 12:46:00

oliver

ngoonee wrote:

Also, while I'm at it, I see that i3 does dynamic tagging (removing tags which do not have any windows), can this be set to 'compact' the numbering as well? So for example if I have tags 1-5 open, and I close the window on tag 3 and then switch out, have tag 4 become tag 3 and tag 5 become tag 4.

This may be a totally useless post because I don't have the answer but it would annoy me too - so instead of numbered workspaces I moved to named ones.  So if I have 'terminals' 'browsers' and 'whatever' open and I close all the browsers, I'm still left with 'terminals' and 'whatever.'  It seemed to make more sense to me that way

#1269 2015-05-15 15:17:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

runical wrote:

In essence, you are correct. To switch workspace 1 (i3 jargon) over from monitor 1 to monitor 2, you have to switch to that workspace and move it to the other monitor. The only problem is that you add an extra step here. The workspace namespace in i3 is global, so if you want to switch to workspace 1, you just do so. No reason to switch monitor first. There is no workspace 1 on monitor 2 and a workspace 1 on monitor 1. They share the same namespace, so the names have to be unique.

That.... sounds awesome (pun not intended). So its more like tmux views (except you can't show the same windows on both sides), which does make more sense than how awesome currently does it. I think I'll need to try this out.

#1270 2015-05-15 15:36:59

ANOKNUSA

@ngonee: The gist of what you said is correct, but there are multiple layers at play here. One thing to understand is that at the lowest level, all i3 interactions are really just commands sent to the window manager via the i3-msg command. The most common way to doing that is to bind keys to the commands in the i3 config file. However, you can also send those commands directly through your user shell (i3-msg <command>); or use i3-input, which opens a textbox you can type the command into.

All workspaces have unique names (as runical said), and can be focused or manipulated with any of the above methods by just executing commands on specific workspace names. You can also script more complex command sequences and bind them to key combinations. And you can even manipulate specific windows by there EWMH titles or classes, or mark windows/containers with a unique ID (similar to a tag in dwm et al) and then execute commands on those specific marks, letting you focus/move windows without needing to switch to the workspace where they reside and focus the specific window first. In short, there are ways to quickly and easily move windows, containers and workspaces around rather than the "go here/pick this up/carry it there" method.

#1271 2015-05-15 17:29:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ANOKNUSA wrote:

@ngonee: The gist of what you said is correct, but there are multiple layers at play here. One thing to understand is that at the lowest level, all i3 interactions are really just commands sent to the window manager via the i3-msg command. The most common way to doing that is to bind keys to the commands in the i3 config file. However, you can also send those commands directly through your user shell (i3-msg <command>); or use i3-input, which opens a textbox you can type the command into.

All workspaces have unique names (as runical said), and can be focused or manipulated with any of the above methods by just executing commands on specific workspace names. You can also script more complex command sequences and bind them to key combinations. And you can even manipulate specific windows by there EWMH titles or classes, or mark windows/containers with a unique ID (similar to a tag in dwm et al) and then execute commands on those specific marks, letting you focus/move windows without needing to switch to the workspace where they reside and focus the specific window first. In short, there are ways to quickly and easily move windows, containers and workspaces around rather than the "go here/pick this up/carry it there" method.

Hey Anoknusa, long time no see smile.

Thanks, that does help. I also just came across http://i3wm.org/docs/user-contributed/w … utput.html which looks like it might do what I want.

#1272 2015-05-16 02:59:55

ANOKNUSA

Yeah, seems we're both a bit less active here these days. Life and stuff. tongue Hope you enjoy i3, I've felt at home with it for about a year now.

#1273 2015-05-16 13:47:20

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ANOKNUSA wrote:

Yeah, seems we're both a bit less active here these days. Life and stuff. tongue Hope you enjoy i3, I've felt at home with it for about a year now.

Yeah, tonight I have some time so gonna take it for a spin. Been getting a bit annoyed with awesome and felt it was time for a change.

And yes, real-life does get in the way a lot.

#1274 2015-05-19 01:56:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

So, it seems I CAN live with i3 after all (after changing jkl; to hjkl, of course, one does not simply do away with years of vim-memory). As I haven't had access to my external monitor recently I haven't been able to test that part out but it does seem do-able.

One question though. How do I get i3 to (automatically is to be preferred) move windows up the container tree?

So I start with one container and a window in it, opening a new window (Win2) in this container will take the right half of the screen (default horizontal split for a widescreen). So far so good.

I then switch to a vertical split, creating a new container containing only Win2. So I have a base container which contains my first window and another container. The second container contains Win2. How do I get Win2 back into the base container?

Similarly, if after creating the split I create Win3 and follow this up by closing either Win2 or Win3, it seems the remaining window is still in the new container rather than the base container. I can see why this would be desirable, but can't find a way to behave differently. Please advise.

#1275 2015-05-19 03:41:56

ewaller
Administrator

Mod-a (by default) selects the parent of the window and all its siblings.

Last edited by ewaller (2015-05-19 03:42:21)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer