You are not logged in.

#1276 2015-05-19 07:21:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: The i3 thread

ewaller wrote:

Mod-a (by default) selects the parent of the window and all its siblings.

Hi ewaller smile

Yeah it does, but that does not solve the problem of a (now invisible) container between my window and the 'base' container. The only 'solution' I've found is to close both windows and then create a new one.

So to be clear, I start of with (C is a container, W is a window), situation 1:-
C1(W1)

And then I create a new window, situation 2:-
C1(W1 + W2)

And then I select W2 and do a vertical split, situation 3:-
C1(W1 + C2(W2))

And then I create a new window, situation 4:-
C1(W1 + C2(W2 + W3))

At this point, closing W3 or W2 would bring me back to situation 3. I'd like to be able to go back to situation 2. The reason being, when in situation 3, if I switch back to horizontal split, new windows will not be evenly distributed across the monitor.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#1277 2015-05-19 17:36:49

ANOKNUSA

Everyone seems to have trouble with this when first starting out. You'd have to move any window(s) remaining in C2 back into C1. Containers can only be explicitly created and destroyed, and the only way to do the latter is to remove all windows from the container.

My personal preference is to work with multiple containers and avoid nesting anything more than one level deep, since the more complex nested layouts get the more easily they get ruined by moving a single window. I usually use two or three separate stacked (occasionally tabbed) containers, each with their own set of windows and positioned where I want them. I group the windows together by some category or another (Firefox and a man page in one, editors in another, shell/utilities in another) and I mark the windows with numbers and bind those marks to "$mod+<number key>." This means I can have a half-dozen windows open, but only the two or three I need right now are visible, and every other window is just a keybinding away. If I need to see more than one window in a container I'll just switch the container's layout. If I need to see more of a single window, I'll just toggle full-screen mode. You can check out my config to see that written out.

#1278 2015-05-20 12:23:02

ninquitassar

Hi guys! I am trying to manage i3 Vim-like marks by keybinds, using i3-input tool, but I have some issues with the code.
I wrote this:

#mark workspaces
bindsym Mod4+m exec i3-input -F 'i3-msg mark "%s"' -P 'Mark as: '
bindsym Mod4+Shift+m exec i3-input 'i3-msg unmark "%s"' -P 'Unmark: '
bindsym Mod4+g exec i3-input -F 'i3-msg '[con_mark="%s"] focus'' -P 'Go2mark: '

But obviously  the last command does not work,because there are too much '.

So I tried the following solutions:

bindsym Mod4+g exec i3-input -F 'i3-msg \'[con_mark="%s"] focus\'' -P 'Go2mark: '
bindsym Mod4+g exec i3-input -F $(i3-msg '[con_mark="%s"] focus)' -P 'Go2mark: '

but, another time, it does not work.

Where am I wrong? Any ideas to manage this feature?

EDIT

I solved with this

Last edited by ninquitassar (2015-05-21 09:51:58)

CPU: AMD Sempron SI-42 - 2.1 Ghz  Video: Nvidia GeForce 8200MG  RAM: 4Gb DR
My DeviantART

#1279 2015-05-22 04:02:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Thanks Anoknusa, I came to that conclusion as well.

Now, playing around with my external monitor which I mostly only get to use on weekends, I want to use the switch.py script in [1], but found that the i3 IPC python bindings it linked with are 3 years old (i3-py). So instead I wanted to update the script to use i3ipc-python, which is in the AUR. However I can't seem to import i3ipc in python after installing that, does anyone have it working?

[1] - http://i3wm.org/docs/user-contributed/s … paces.html

EDIT: It seems i3ipc-python-git works. But this gives a different problem, I can obtain the list of outputs and workspaces, but I can't seem to move a specific workspace. So for example if I have workspaces 1,2,3 on the left monitor (2 is focused) and workspaces 4,5,6 on the right monitor (6 is focused), I can move one of the focused workspaces to the other monitor, but then it becomes the new focused workspace on that monitor and I can't move the previous focused workspace back.

Of course I could get the previously focused workspace's number, but 'move workspace 1 to output right' doesn't seem to work, nor derivatives of that. How can I do this?

EDIT2: And I solved it, here's what I currently do:-

#!/usr/bin/env python3

import i3ipc
conn = i3ipc.Connection()

outputs = conn.get_outputs()
workspaces = conn.get_workspaces()

for i in filter(lambda w:w.visible, workspaces):
    conn.command('workspace ' + i.name)
    conn.command('move workspace to output left')

conn.command('workspace ' + list(filter(lambda w:w.focused, workspaces))[0].name)

This does not work if workspace_back_and_forth is set. Ideally I'd be able to un-set this programmatically (and re-set it if it was previously set) but I can't figure out how to do that yet. Any suggestions?

Last edited by ngoonee (2015-05-22 06:27:01)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#1280 2015-05-22 18:25:56

Efka
Website

Hi there, just out of curiosity is there a way to run i3bar+conky and dzen2+conky together ? i have i3bar+conky and dzen2 as separate bar, but i would like to put some info in it (like music player, and pop up or drop down menu in some sort of way if its possible) . Im looking for whole day but i cant find anything, maybe any of you chaps could help me ? smile

Edited: managed to get conky trough dzen2 smile

Last edited by Efka (2015-05-22 21:42:04)

IBM Lenovo ThinkPad T61 ; Lenovo ThinkPad X220; Lenovo ThinkPad T440p; Lenovo Thinkpad W520; Lenovo Thinkpad P71; ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen1;  FrankenPad T25
Asus Z10PE D-16 WS; 2x Intel Xeon E-5 2690V4; 32GB ECC; nVidia Titan V CEO | Asus ROG Gene XI Intel i9-9900k nVidia 3070Ti

#1281 2015-06-06 14:53:31

macaivar

Hi,
is possible to show system notifications (when uduskie auto-mounts a usb stick for example) with i3?

#1282 2015-06-06 15:31:09

ewaller
Administrator

macaivar wrote:

Hi,
is possible to show system notifications (when uduskie auto-mounts a usb stick for example) with i3?

Sure.   See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … ifications

I suggest dunst for i3

Last edited by ewaller (2015-06-06 15:31:33)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#1283 2015-06-09 14:53:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I just found running cinelerra (worked fine with awesomewm) to produce a blank (single) window. Has anyone encountered the same or did I forget to set something up?

For the quick edit I just had to do I jumped back to awesome, but that isn't really a solution...

#1284 2015-06-23 10:32:08

dom0

i3pystatus 3.33 is out with a ton of changes (including quite some work on the docs)
http://docs.enkore.de/i3pystatus/changelog.html#r3-33

j4-dmenu-desktop 2.13 is out with minor changes:
https://github.com/enkore/j4-dmenu-desk … /tag/r2.13
* GenericName fields are added to the menu, too
* Added manpage j4-dmenu-desktop(1)
* Menu is now sorted by names

Last edited by dom0 (2015-06-23 10:33:53)

#1285 2015-06-23 11:16:40

bartuka

Hello guys,

I've been using i3 for a while and I'm in love with it. HOwever, I need to use Teamviewer to access my computer from a WINDOWS Machine.  I tried the whole day to make it happen but no success here.

The problem is that I can't send key combinations (super + D for example) through the Teamviewer 10.04 from AUR.
Have anyone experienced the same?
Any workaround? THx!!

Specs: Macbook Pro Mid 2012 + 16GB RAM + 256GB SSD + 512GB HDD
Windows Manager: i3wm
File Manager: Ranger
Web Browser: qutebrowser

#1286 2015-06-23 13:39:41

bstaletic

Is super+d used to call dmenu? Change that keybinding to free it for use in teamviewer.

#1287 2015-06-23 20:04:08

bartuka

bstaletic, the problem is the other way around. I can't send Super + D from windows to Arch. But your answer, I imagine, can also work the other way around, however I have no idea how change the Windows "system keybindings". I will look that up. Thx

Specs: Macbook Pro Mid 2012 + 16GB RAM + 256GB SSD + 512GB HDD
Windows Manager: i3wm
File Manager: Ranger
Web Browser: qutebrowser

#1288 2015-06-24 01:49:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

bartuka wrote:

bstaletic, the problem is the other way around. I can't send Super + D from windows to Arch. But your answer, I imagine, can also work the other way around, however I have no idea how change the Windows "system keybindings". I will look that up. Thx

Easier to just change i3's bindings. Super-D shows the desktop by default in Windows, I don't think you CAN change it, even.

Anyone used/using cinerella? No response to my previous question. Or is there a mailing list/forum which I should ask on?

Also, I've been writing my own ipc (using i3ipc-python-git from the AUR) and I found differing behaviour for the focus command when run by i3 and when running the script itself. Where do I find i3's logs to figure out what's going on?

#1289 2015-06-24 01:49:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

bartuka wrote:

Easier to just change i3's bindings. Super-D shows the desktop by default in Windows, I don't think you CAN change it, even.

Anyone used/using cinerella? No response to my previous question. Or is there a mailing list/forum which I should ask on?

Also, I've been writing my own ipc (using i3ipc-python-git from the AUR) and I found differing behaviour for the focus command when run by i3 and when running the script itself. Where do I find i3's logs to figure out what's going on?

#1290 2015-06-24 04:51:52

x33a
Forum Fellow

ngoonee wrote:
bartuka wrote:

I think you can use autohotkey to do that.

#1291 2015-06-25 07:58:03

lounge

Hi,

Im using i3pystatus and can not get wifi info "Missing Python module i3pystatus.wireless"
I have both install netifaces 0.10.4 (latest) and basiciw.

#1292 2015-06-25 08:00:42

dom0

As per the changelog: http://docs.enkore.de/i3pystatus/changelog.html#r3-33

wireless is gone. Use network instead ; it has exactly the same features (including the wireless ones).

#1293 2015-06-25 08:02:13

Diraso

lounge wrote:

"Missing Python module i3pystatus.wireless"

The module called "network" handles wireless connections aswell. There is no module wireless wink
http://docs.enkore.de/i3pystatus/i3pyst … us.network

Edit: Ok, was too slow wink And it was called wireless in the past, didn't know that. Started using i3pystatus just two days ago.

Last edited by Diraso (2015-06-25 08:03:02)

#1294 2015-07-19 19:33:17

sllive

Hi, i3-gaps + i3blocks user here.
I've been trying to find a way to resize a container in tiled mode when it's the only one open. AFAIK, if you want to have just one window open and want it to fill, say, the left half of the screen and leave the right half empty (showing only the wallpaper), then you need to use floating mode and the layout would break (not tile) if you wanted to open a second window.
I'm using a fully transparent borderless urxvt instance as a workaround (urxvt -sh 100 -cr #666 -e sleep 10d &), sad part is that you can still see the cursor of that terminal.

In case this can't be done with i3, can I have a recommendation for some other tiling wm that can do what I need and includes a tabbed mode for containers, like i3, and gaps between windows? I've tried some window managers but couldn't find one that does all of this things. Herbstluftwm can resize windows like I want but doesn't have a tabbed mode for the windows.

#1295 2015-07-19 21:55:09

progandy

Hello sllive,
you can try and abuse the i3 layout placeholders, something like this might work:

echo "{}" >/tmp/empty.json && i3-msg 'append_layout /tmp/empty.json'

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#1296 2015-07-20 07:15:16

willemw

@sllive: Have you looked at Notion? It preserves the existing layout when you add a new window. Supports tabbed windows. Not sure it supports gaps between windows out of the box.

If I wasn't using (a patched version of) i3, I would probably be running Notion.

Last edited by willemw (2015-07-20 07:17:02)

#1297 2015-07-23 22:34:06

acar_go

Hi,

I use a conky bar with "status_command" but I have a problem when I retrieve the Dropbox status.

When i3wm is loaded, the bar is breaked. "Invalid char JSON...".

dropbox-cli status | sed 2,/^$/d

Do you know to escape the string not break to?

ty

Edit: Remove " and ' of the outcome of "dropbox-cli status" work like a charm.

dropbox-cli status | sed -n 1p | tr -d "\"\`'"

Last edited by acar_go (2015-07-27 18:08:31)

#1298 2015-08-11 21:34:03

barefly

I'm using a conky-json configuration and this is more about json than either of the two. I am attempting to get rid of as much whitespace between my json lines while still maintaining readability. For example this is a portion of my configuration.

{ "full_text" : "C:" , "separator" : false , "color" : "\#ededed" },
{ "full_text" : "${cpu cpu0}%" , "separator" : false , "color" : "\#d31717" },
{ "full_text" : "M:" , "separator" : false , "color" : "\#ededed" },
{ "full_text" : "${memperc}%" , "separator" : false , "color" : "\#d31717" },
{ "full_text" : "B:" , "separator" : false , "color" : "\#ededed" },

The output ends up looking like as it does in the following screenshot.

http://i.imgur.com/1MLgcUC.png

In comparison, the json above has no white space between the characters but when rendered there are whitespaces in the locations where the code is written on a new line. Is there a json definition i'm missing so I can omit the extra whitespace?

#1299 2015-08-14 19:29:10

hippieben

Anyone have a working config for the keyboard backlight buttons on a MacBook Pro (8,2 specifically, but I'd imagine they're all the same)?  Thanks!

#1300 2015-08-15 05:12:42

ANOKNUSA

hippieben wrote:

Anyone have a working config for the keyboard backlight buttons on a MacBook Pro (8,2 specifically, but I'd imagine they're all the same)?  Thanks!

Backlight control has nothing to do with the window manager--it actually has nothing to do with X at all, the backlight keys are managed by the kernel and should work from the time you boot the machine to the time you power it off. You can try using the xbacklight package; if it works, you can tie it to keys in your i3 configuration. If xbacklight doesn't work, there may not be a solution.

If the backlight keys work in some WM/DE but not another, that's a bug worth reporting upstream.

Board footer