You are not logged in.

#1326 2015-10-25 06:14:29

ewaller
Administrator

Re: The i3 thread

Grus: Other things I would look into.  Bind some key to toggle between floating and tiled.  I use mod-space. 
Then look into binding keys to use the scratchpad.  I bind mod-downarrow to move a window to scratchpad and mod-uparrow to scratchpad.   So, hide a window window with mod-downarrow.  Bring back a window with mod-uparrow.  Cycle through hidden windows with mod-uparrow.
Lastly, I bind mod-1 through mod-9 to switch to workspace n.  If you switch to an empty workspace, you will see the desktop.  Switch two a desktop you are already on and you will switch back to the previous workspace.  So, if workspace 3 id empty, I hit mod-3 to see the desktop.  To go back, I hit mod-3  again.
In addition to what Trilby said, don't forget that you can run conky so that it is on"the desktop".  Also, make sure you install dmenu and bind some key to it too.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#1327 2015-11-02 02:49:58

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

emanuelx wrote:

my i3 configuration

https://camo.githubusercontent.com/455f … 542e706e67

https://github.com/emanuellopes/dotfiles

this looks georgeous.
i tried to use your bar configuration. i copied your bar config, your conky-i3bar.sh, conkyrc (i just removed the spotify line cause i don't use that) and installed bat_icon.sh and vol.sh in ~/.scripts
but i get:

~/.i3 ❯❯❯ ./conky-i3bar.sh
{"version":1}
[
[],
conky: Syntax error (/home/dieter/.i3/conkyrc:1: syntax error near 'no') while reading config file. 
conky: Assuming it's in old syntax and attempting conversion.
(...)

and i3 just keeps showing the old i3 bar sad
edit: looks like i wasn't restarting i3 properly, it looks good, so i guess the error is fairly harmless!

Last edited by Dieter@be (2015-11-02 03:27:18)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#1328 2015-11-02 04:49:02

x33a
Forum Fellow

@Dieter

it's not a fatal error, more of a warning. This is because conky went a major upgrade a few months back and syntax for conkyrc was also changed.

#1329 2015-11-03 19:31:40

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

thanks @x33a.

i've been having some fun coming up with my own bar with conky based on emanuelx's, changing some colors and adding some more variables to measure disk space and net speeds.

two things bother me though:
1) the config gets messy quick. when i try to use tabs and newlines to organise things better, they also show up in the output and i3 complains about not being able to parse. i guess i could work around this and strip tabs and newlines back out of the json with sed, but it seems messy.

2) some variables (mostly the net speeds) change in how many digits they use / string length. i don't seem to be able to just pad so that the bar layout remains consistent over time, i saw some people online using custom lua scripts to be able to use printf but that seems such a kludge..

otherwise, really happy with it smile

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#1330 2015-11-05 14:38:05

t0m5k1

@Dieter
I know exactly what you mean & now I use py3status as I get the same but also parts can be clicked smile

ROG Strix (GD30CI) - Intel Core i5-7400 CPU - 32Gb 2400Mhz - GTX1070 8GB - AwesomeWM (occasionally XFCE, i3)

If everything in life was easy, we would learn nothing!
Linux User: 401820  Steam-HearThis.at-Last FM-Reddit

#1331 2015-11-05 20:31:11

oliver

t0m5k1 wrote:

@Dieter
I know exactly what you mean & now I use py3status as I get the same but also parts can be clicked smile

i3blocks also supports clickable status msgs.   It's very nice to be able to modify volume with a roll of the mouse wheel.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/i3blocks/

Last edited by oliver (2015-11-05 20:32:30)

#1332 2015-11-16 20:26:47

t0m5k1

been trying to implement powerline & now having major headaches with new conky syntax grrr
anyone have a working config for use in i3bar ??

ROG Strix (GD30CI) - Intel Core i5-7400 CPU - 32Gb 2400Mhz - GTX1070 8GB - AwesomeWM (occasionally XFCE, i3)

If everything in life was easy, we would learn nothing!
Linux User: 401820  Steam-HearThis.at-Last FM-Reddit

#1333 2015-11-20 02:45:06

deags

Anyone here using i3 with gnome-flashback? I can run gnome-flashback-metacity without issue, and i3 without issue. I've tried all sorts of things found by google, I get an error with something registering, the i3-gnome package in aur has a fix for this but still things are dodgy.

Running i3-gnome I don't get gnome-panel (It's not in the gnome-session file, adding it manually it still doesn't load). If I manually start gnome-panel it works, but it's evident that gnome isn't completely running (brightness control and volume control don't work where they do in flashback and unmodified gnome3).

I am working on a more thorough write up but I can't even work out how to debug this. I usually just use i3 and it's great, DE's and DM's etc are a giant convoluted mess.

#1334 2015-12-07 06:40:34

JeSuisNerd

I have a quick question for getting window control like something I miss from Awesome wm.

In Awesome, I was able to ctrl-click in a window (e.g. to select and deselect items in a file manager) without switching window focus.  This was handy for me because I have an extensive music collection that occasionally needs to be managed/pruned down, and this feature made it very easy to select some files for deletion in a second window while the media player would retain focus.

Is there a way I could implement this functionality in i3? Anything I've tried in the config so far has failed because i3 steals the bindsym keys and my window doesn't see the presses, or the --release flag doesn't work as expected (command is not run at all)

My best effort so far:

# for marking a main window to return to
bindsym $mod+b mark --toggle return
bindsym --whole-window --release Control+button1 [con_mark="return"] focus

Last edited by JeSuisNerd (2015-12-07 06:52:06)

#1335 2015-12-07 12:52:59

LeoFa

@JeSuisNerd
it will only work with modifier keys so you first need to set it e.g.

set $mod2 Control

then you can use control as modifer

bindsym --whole-window $mod2+button1 action 

if i'm correct when using  --whole-window you don't need --release. (--release is for window title only and --border for the border.)

Last edited by LeoFa (2015-12-07 12:55:44)

#1336 2015-12-07 17:21:21

JeSuisNerd

LeoFa wrote:

@JeSuisNerd
it will only work with modifier keys so you first need to set it e.g.

set $mod2 Control

then you can use control as modifer

Using Control+button1 is behaving exactly the same as using this $mod2+button1.  The problem is that as soon as I click, the other window is selected and the file manager never sees the click.  It seems as if it's because i3 is stealing this key combination and I need to pass the click through so the application can see it, but I'm not sure if that's something I can even accomplish with the settings we're given.  Thanks for the idea to try though!

Just so you can see it, here's the current configuration:

bindsym $mod+b mark --toggle return
bindsym --whole-window Control+button1 [con_mark="return"] focus

Last edited by JeSuisNerd (2015-12-07 17:22:43)

#1337 2015-12-07 20:45:11

LeoFa

JeSuisNerd wrote:

as soon as I click, the other window is selected and the file manager never sees the click

? well that's what those bindings do.. mark a window return then return to it as soon as you click, nothing more no file-manager involved. also if you need control click in your file-manager don't bind it in i3 it takes precedence over other keybindings. so i'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.. if it is to quickly fire up a file-manager with focus and then delete files, why not use a file-manager window in a scratchpad? or else i dunno man.

maybe something like this? using ranger and termite

for_window [instance="ranger_termite"]  move scratchpad, move position 690 405, move scratchpad, scratchpad show
bindsym  --whole-window $mod2+button2 exec termite --name "ranger_termite" -e "sh -c 'ranger'"

(for me the normal Control does not work I have to set it to $mod2)

hope that helps,
cheers

Last edited by LeoFa (2015-12-07 20:55:08)

#1338 2015-12-09 06:11:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ngoonee wrote:

I just found running cinelerra (worked fine with awesomewm) to produce a blank (single) window. Has anyone encountered the same or did I forget to set something up?

For the quick edit I just had to do I jumped back to awesome, but that isn't really a solution...

Still an issue for me, and I found an old forum post - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=171852 - which indicates it at least used to work.

Could someone with a bit of spare time just install cinelerra-cv from the repos and attempt to start it? If it doesn't work then at least I can rule out my own idiocy....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#1339 2015-12-09 06:19:59

loafer

ngoonee wrote:

... Could someone with a bit of spare time just install cinelerra-cv from the repos ...

I just get a blank / black screen when attempting to start it.  64 bit Arch, fully up-to-date ([testing]) and intel graphics.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#1340 2015-12-10 08:18:16

Tambalamba

@ngoonee

I managed to install it and it starts only after I hit $mod+Enter (to open a new terminal) two or three times. I installed it from the Community repo using pacman (verison cinelerra-cv 1:2.2-26 64 bit). So, I ran it from Dmenu, and then when the blank screen appears I hit $mod+Enter two more times and then the cinelerra windows appear.

Here's what it looks like http://i.imgur.com/URV7P75.png

I didn't have time to play with the windows' layout - I hope it's possible to arrange them to your liking.

#1341 2015-12-10 20:29:47

dllu

I can't get the right font to show up (Source Code Pro, installed from adobe-source-code-pro-fonts). Using i3-dump-log reveals that the correct font is selected. Using pango-view reveals that Pango is able to render the font correctly. Also, fc-match and xlsfonts both correctly have the font. But the window titles and i3bar still show the wrong font! I've also run fc-cache --force and $(for dir in * ; do if [  -d  "$dir"  ]; then cd "$dir";xset +fp "$PWD" ;mkfontscale; mkfontdir;cd .. ;fi; done && xset fp rehash) to no avail.

Screenshot: https://lawrence.lu/sc/77d5cae503.png

Other applications such as qutebrowser display the font just fine.

It was working in i3 before but I'm not sure why it stopped working (the only package I installed in the meanwhile was gimp-git from aur which shouldn't affect this). Also, the font in urxvt and dmenu seems to have stopped working.

EDIT: it seems to be an issue with font names with spaces or something. I set an alias for monospace --> Source Code Pro in ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf and updated my Xresources and i3config to use monospace instead of "Source Code Pro" and now it works.

Last edited by dllu (2015-12-10 22:11:12)

#1342 2015-12-10 21:51:09

loafer

Tambalamba wrote:

@ngoonee

I managed to install it and it starts only after I hit $mod+Enter ... when the blank screen appears I hit $mod+Enter two more times and then the cinelerra windows appear.

Yes, I can replicate that.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#1343 2015-12-11 09:09:14

ulke

Does anybody know of a way to get (i3) titlebars for GTK3 applications with client-side window decorations? I use a bunch of them (file-roller, epiphany, some others), and it's annoying not to be able to tell which window is active.

#1344 2015-12-14 12:19:41

jo-shva

Hi, I have

Error: status_command processs exited unexpectedly (exit 1)

And I have googled my fingers to the bone trying to figure out how to fix this error.
my i3status.conf is

# i3status configuration file.
# see "man i3status" for documentation.

# It is important that this file is edited as UTF-8.
# The following line should contain a sharp s:
# ß
# If the above line is not correctly displayed, fix your editor first!

general {
        colors = true
        interval = 5
}

order += "ipv6"
order += "disk /"
order += "run_watch DHCP"
order += "wireless wlo1"
order += "ethernet eno1"
order += "battery 0"
order += "load"
order += "tztime local"

wireless wlo1 {
        format_up = "W: (%quality at %essid) %ip"
        format_down = "W: down"
}

ethernet eno1 {
        # if you use %speed, i3status requires root privileges
        format_up = "E: %ip (%speed)"
        format_down = "E: down"
}

battery 0 {
        format = "%status %percentage %remaining"
        format_down = "No battery"
                   status_chr = "⚇ CHR""
                   status_bat = "⚡ BAT"
                   status_full = "☻ FULL"
                   path = "/sys/class/power_supply/BAT%d/uevent"
                   low_threshold = 10

}

run_watch DHCP {
        pidfile = "/var/run/dhcpcd*.pid"
}

tztime local {
        format = "%Y-%m-%d %I:%M:%S"
        timezone = "America/Chicago"
}

load {
        format = "%5min"
}

disk "/" {
        format = "%free"
}

Help would be excellent!

[SOLVED] I installed 'i3pystatus' and the issue whent away.

Last edited by jo-shva (2015-12-15 10:06:30)

"Democracy is being allowed to vote for the candidate you dislike least." -- Robert Byrne
http://killhellokitty.deviantart.com/

#1345 2015-12-19 12:42:49

toketin

HI guys, i'm looking for a KISS solution to get my system suspended after an idle period. Since i'm using i3 on my notebook i've the need of identify two scenarios: one with battery, where i would like the system goes sleep after 15 minutes of idle, the other with AC plugged, when it should be enough to just lock the screen.
Other question, i've tried xss-lock following the i3 wiki page to get the lock on lid closing and it works fine, i've tried also with xautolock but with no luck. I guess the wiki command (xautolock -time 10 -locker "i3lock -i 'background_image.png'" -lockaftersleep &) is wrong since -lockaftersleep doesn't appear on xautolock's menu. I've tried with -detectlseep, but it doesn't lock the screen after sleep.

Thanks!

#1346 2015-12-19 14:05:03

patroclo7

My understanding is that the -detectsleep option for autolock is not expected to make the system go sleeping, but to reset the xautolock timer, in order to avoid the locker to be triggered when the system awakes. I do not know about the -loackaftersleep option.
You should indicate the suspension command in the option -locker, and then configure your system to lock the screen before suspension.
In my system, I have the following line in ~/.xinitrc:

xautolock -time 30 -locker "sudo systemctl suspend" -detectsleep&

Sudo should be configured in order to allow the user to run "sudo systemctl suspend" without providing a password.

I have enabled the following systemd service in order to lock the system before suspension (I use physlock - in the git version - but it should be easy to adapt the service to i3lock):

[Unit]
Description=physlock
Before=sleep.target

[Service]
User=patroclo7
Type=simple
Environment='DISPLAY=:0'
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/physlock -m -s

[Install]
WantedBy=sleep.target

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#1347 2015-12-19 15:35:01

toketin

patroclo7 wrote:

My understanding is that the -detectsleep option for autolock is not expected to make the system go sleeping, but to reset the xautolock timer, in order to avoid the locker to be triggered when the system awakes. I do not know about the -loackaftersleep option.
You should indicate the suspension command in the option -locker, and then configure your system to lock the screen before suspension.
In my system, I have the following line in ~/.xinitrc:

xautolock -time 30 -locker "sudo systemctl suspend" -detectsleep&

Sudo should be configured in order to allow the user to run "sudo systemctl suspend" without providing a password.

I have enabled the following systemd service in order to lock the system before suspension (I use physlock - in the git version - but it should be easy to adapt the service to i3lock):

[Unit]
Description=physlock
Before=sleep.target

[Service]
User=patroclo7
Type=simple
Environment='DISPLAY=:0'
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/physlock -m -s

[Install]
WantedBy=sleep.target

Thanks for the tweak, this works fine also with i3lock. In this way you can't discriminate the two scenarios of laptop on battery or AC plugged. I mean that when plugged i wouldn't suspend the system on idle, it would be enough to just lock the screen. Haven't you faced this trouble?

P.s. Glad to see that you're from Veneto too big_smile

#1348 2015-12-19 15:49:04

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

You can write your own "power manager", e.g

1. Inhibit logind (needs polkit)

#!/bin/bash
exec systemd-inhibit \
     --mode=block \
     --what=handle-lid-switch \
     --why='ACPI event daemon' acpi-action

2. Listen to ACPI events (needs acpid)

#!/bin/bash
acpi_listen | while read event; do
    handler $event
done

3. Do stuff (example needs pm-utils):

#!/bin/bash
case "$2" in
    LID) 
	if grep -q closed /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state; then
	    if on_ac_power; then
		i3lock
	    else 
		i3lock && systemctl --no-block suspend
	    fi 
	fi
        ;;
esac

You can also disable actions in logind.conf and do it all from /etc/acpi/handler.sh (provided you can get the Xorg variables from root - see the wiki).

Last edited by Alad (2015-12-19 16:02:23)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#1349 2015-12-23 11:53:34

tetratux

Strange effect
In my notebook i have two users one for gnome-shell and the other for I3wm.
In the last months i use only gnome-shell, but one week ago i try again I3.

Apparently all was perfect, but if i exit from I3 with an open application the notebook freeze.
I try to clean completely the user configuration, create a new user, but the result is even the same, if i exit with a window open the computer freeze.

I passed the last days searching in the forum and internet too, but i can't find anything about.

Maybe could be related with the fact  that gdm is using Wayland and I3 XOrg, but before was the same and worked perfectly.

#1350 2015-12-23 16:41:18

Docbroke

Hi,
I am new to I3. I have two questions, if someone can help. I posted this questions as separate threads but later found out this thread.

1. When i try to use libreoffice impress in presentation mode after connecting to second screen through HDMI, I get presenter screen on my laptop but presentation slides does not appear on bigger screen ( or anywhere for that matter).

2. I have successfully enabled power/suspend/brightness/volume keys with help of "bindsym" function in i3 configuration and using xbindkeys. Only missing thing is lock on lid close, and for this single function I have to rely on xfce4-power-manager.
I am looking for a simple way to lock screen on lid closure without suspending, if possible through systemd-logind. I tried to find out lid closure event with "xbindkeys -k" and "xev", but the event is not recognized. I am using slock as screen locker. I am not using acpid.

thanks

Board footer