You are not logged in.

#51 2010-06-27 16:49:15

CPUnltd
Website

Re: Enlightenment Experience

Bimo, it's only that crowded because I have my docking station connected (which has a hub with another docking station connected to that, so I've got 2TB of highly partitioned drives plugged in and didn't think to remove them before taking pics tongue)  usually, there's only 4 partitions from the actual drive in the laptop.

you're probably right, mythus... never got around to trying to troubleshoot it (hasn't been causing crashes, so I'm not worried about it all that much... still annoying enough to do something about it...

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#52 2010-06-28 02:45:45

nexus7

CPUnltd wrote:

ok, here we go... you can see what I mean with the odd shading of the background image around pcmanfm (compare the first two pics) and where the dialog box was in the 3rd pic...

http://picasaweb.google.com/CPUnltd/201 … 9899893170

http://picasaweb.google.com/CPUnltd/201 … 5125796610

http://picasaweb.google.com/CPUnltd/201 … 5669724450

Do you have 4 or 9 workspaces then?~??

nb: once I was also a e17 user (~2yrs ago); but it became too fancy to me and now I'm about to do the opposite with settling in a tiling wm. Also I didn't like e's file manager, but entrance was cool. And there often incompatibilities with older themes I liked. Maybe I'll give e17 another chance as a 'spare wm/de' when the alpha-release is out (though I can't imagine this now).

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#53 2010-06-28 08:16:59

CPUnltd
Website

I have 9 workspaces, nexus7...  I believe that e17 is a very different DE in comparison to what it was 2years ago.  Primarily due to that fact that development is being funded to some degree by Samsung (will link to the article about Samsung financing enlightenment when I find it again, too late at night here now - past 3am - for me to do it at the moment... unless someone else beats me to it).  But I think it is well worth it's weight in platinum.  I find it fairly stable, highly functional and a nice piece of eye candy while not pushing the CPU much at all... No major complaints here. smile

#54 2010-06-28 19:10:04

BimoZX

Really didn't know that, but what do samsung needs E17 for?

#55 2010-06-28 20:08:17

CPUnltd
Website

my first assumption would be as an interface for their cellphones and mobile internet devices... possibly their tv's as well... more and more companies are going with embedded linux OSes for their systems and samsung is one of the few companies to note enlightenment's potential.  Once it becomes stable enough to reach the 1.0 stage, it will be the DE that bridges the gap between KDE and Fluxbox (as examples) with the fact that it will be as pretty and feature-rich as KDE and as lightweight (possibly more, likely less...but not by much) as Fluxbox... When that happens, it will become a much more popular DE and spinoffs will DEFINITELY emerge from it and compete with it.  Personally, I think it tops KDE with features as it is now, but that's just my opinion big_smile

#56 2010-06-28 21:36:47

mythus
Website

I tend to agree with you on that CPU, on topping KDE. There is only one feature I miss when playing with e17, that being widow grouping. KDE has it now, but I learned to love it from fluxbox and pekwm.

Other than that, e17 sure could use some more themes. I think it is really lacking in this area. I need to see how difficult it is to theme.. haven't look at that yet... but it shouldn't be too hard to port some compiz/emerald or even metacity or oher wm themes... I hope.

I'd also like more etk-based applications but that is no big deal since e17 can work well with gtk or qt.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#57 2010-06-29 01:07:31

heleos

CPUnltd wrote:

Primarily due to that fact that development is being funded to some degree by Samsung (will link to the article about Samsung financing enlightenment when I find it again, too late at night here now - past 3am - for me to do it at the moment... unless someone else beats me to it).

Googled it for you tongue

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … &px=NzcxNQ

#58 2010-06-29 06:44:24

CPUnltd
Website

mythus, I have a couple of buddies over at Unity Linux who would not have a problem at ALL showing you the ins and outs of theming e17!  Forgive me, as their names escape me at the moment (I know one begins with a V, just can't think of it at 1:30AM) but I know they have pumped out so many themes that they put together an installable package of their work so far... There should be a forum thread over at Unity about e17 themes as well as an alpha ISO of UnitE17 (e17-based branch -or remaster- of Unity Linux)... as good a place as any to start, since it's one I know personally big_smile

thanks for dropping that link in for me, heleos... I knew it wouldn't be hard to find, just needed to get around to it tongue

#59 2010-06-29 09:24:28

VCoolio

mythus wrote:

[...] Other than that, e17 sure could use some more themes. I think it is really lacking in this area. I need to see how difficult it is to theme.. haven't look at that yet... but it shouldn't be too hard to port some compiz/emerald or even metacity or oher wm themes... I hope. [...]

You can take any .edj theme, extract it with 'edje_decc file.edj´, then start modifying and run build.sh to create an .edj file again. I've only edited images so far to suit my own taste; the coding is too much for me.

#60 2010-06-29 11:13:03

mythus
Website

Thanks guys, I'll be looking into it.

I think I know who you are talking about, if only because a majority of the themes I have for e17 are made by this 'V' person lol.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#61 2010-06-29 15:34:36

CPUnltd
Website

he is also known as Agust (found that name last night tongue)

#62 2010-07-02 16:50:46

BimoZX

True, the lack of theme really drives me off DE most of the time, it's hard enough to find themes that suit my taste in gnome, much less E17, or at least I don't hope so.

Is there a theme on E17 that you can recommend that screams minimalism.

#63 2010-07-05 14:31:28

FarmerF

BimoZX wrote:

Is there a theme on E17 that you can recommend that screams minimalism.

Themes dictate colours and icons and the like. Not what is or isn't on your desktop. Though E17 is fairly minimalist by default many theme screen shots show a lot because it gives a better idea of the theme's effects.

I run E with three shelves on the bottom and a panel on the top left side. Any of which can be removed to get that ultimate minimal empty desktop look. You'll just have a menu under the left mouse button... Just try E (community was updated fairly recently and should give a safe start) and add and remove as much as you want. You can always remove E completely.

desktophw.th.jpg

Last edited by FarmerF (2010-07-05 14:42:16)

#64 2010-07-05 14:42:48

valium97582

Just add shelves, load fire, penguins and snow and rain and widgets and silly wallpapers and iTaskNG, try ecomorph with all those things put together, put on the blender (lol) and drink it (lol). That is not minimalist. Not even close.

I'm also known as zmv on IRC.

#65 2010-07-05 16:40:46

Theoden

On the other hand - remove all shelves and don't add anything to the desktop - and you have ultra-minimalist - wallpaper and a mouse.  Period.  And if you like you can ditch the wallpaper and go for pure 'ick' dull gray.

Enlightenment is/can be what you choose to make it.  All that stuff does not 'have' to be added.  Choice baby - choice.

--Theoden

"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs,
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."

#66 2010-07-05 19:03:22

CPUnltd
Website

Theoden has the best general explanation of it... e can be as simple or as elaborate as you want it to be... simple as that... and no matter what level of complexity you pick, it's probably the lightest on resources in comparison to any other DE/WM with similar functionality (at each level).

To explain that last statement... as mininal as it can get, it competes with fluxbox on resource usage, with a few features added, it competes well with XFCE/LXDE/openbox on resource usage (probably much lower) and with everything turned on full blast, it outperforms and uses MUCH less resources than KDE/Gnome... Thus has been my experience.  Just waiting for a functional version of ecomorph (that I can actually use, it seems functional for SO many others and not myself... just not sure why) and I will have a complete system based solely on e17... 

I keep XFCE and LXDE around for show (inviting OS refugees from other places not mentioned to see the variety they have access to tongue)

Board footer