You are not logged in.

#101 2010-12-07 13:32:41

lafka

Re: Ayatana Project on Archlinux - official thread

Great work everyone, i got a feeling we will get this working smooth soon smile

Gianfrix wrote:
lafka wrote:

I started a Wiki page for this, i will try to finish it off over the next week.

Do you need any help for that?

All the help i can get smile Im just currently working out all the package details on this to work smooth. Il set up a VM with clean Arch install later on to test everything out.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ayatana

Anyone have a list over the patches Ubuntu have made for gnome?

#102 2010-12-07 14:34:58

lafka

madek wrote:

ok
pd: you can upload gnome-panel-ubuntu and i make gnome-panel-bonobo-ubuntu

Compiling the source for gnome-panel-ubuntu(2.30.2) right now

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=44223

can't compile it, il try the 2.31 version i get following error:

applet.o: In function `panel_applet_destroy':
applet.c:(.text+0x115): undefined reference to `panel_applet_signaler_remove_applet'
applet.o: In function `panel_applet_register':
applet.c:(.text+0x1997): undefined reference to `panel_applet_signaler_add_applet'
panel-menu-bar.o: In function `panel_menu_bar_init':
panel-menu-bar.c:(.text+0x8fe): undefined reference to `panel_applet_signaler_get_default'
panel-menu-items.o: In function `panel_menu_items_append_lock_logout':
panel-menu-items.c:(.text+0x2ac0): undefined reference to `panel_applet_signaler_get_default'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [gnome-panel] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/olavfrengstad/projects/aur/gnome-panel-ubuntu/src/gnome-panel-2.30.2/gnome-panel'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/olavfrengstad/projects/aur/gnome-panel-ubuntu/src/gnome-panel-2.30.2/gnome-panel'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/olavfrengstad/projects/aur/gnome-panel-ubuntu/src/gnome-panel-2.30.2/gnome-panel'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/olavfrengstad/projects/aur/gnome-panel-ubuntu/src/gnome-panel-2.30.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2
    Avslutter ...

Last edited by lafka (2010-12-07 17:04:37)

#103 2010-12-20 20:05:56

Gianfrix
Website

I just did some modification to the introduction and to the Indicators part of the wiki page. Also I uploaded indicator-cpufreq-bzr: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=44641

Gnome-panel-ubuntu is coming soon

Last edited by Gianfrix (2010-12-20 20:06:14)

~ Gianfrix
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

#104 2010-12-28 16:29:16

City-busz
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

I made an unofficial user repository for Ayatana indicators and Notify OSD. So users who want to use these packages, they can simply install them with pacman.

• I fully rewritten most of PKGBUILDs.

• All packages are fully localised from launchpad exports.

• I only applied the minimal necessary set of patches.

More info: http://arch.ballogyorgy.com/

#105 2010-12-28 23:34:33

sironitomas
Website

City-busz wrote:

I made an unofficial user repository for Ayatana indicators and Notify OSD. So users who want to use these packages, they can simply install them with pacman.

• I fully rewritten most of PKGBUILDs.

• All packages are fully localised from launchpad exports.

• I only applied the minimal necessary set of patches.

More info: http://arch.ballogyorgy.com/

That is just awesome!! Has anyone tried these packages? I would but I don't have time right now!

#106 2010-12-30 17:38:24

XioNoX

Could you please make 64bits packages?

#107 2010-12-30 17:54:02

City-busz
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

XioNoX wrote:

Could you please make 64bits packages?

I have 32 bit only PC, so I can't provide 64 bit packages, sorry. I can do this if someone else build 64 bit versions of packages, or provide a build server for me.

#108 2011-01-04 17:49:28

XioNoX

Just for information, you can setup a 64bits VM on a 32bits host with VirtualBox

#109 2011-01-04 20:35:59

sironitomas
Website

Compiling the packages one by one is kind of tedious. Do you know how to make the proces faster after pulling from git?

Last edited by sironitomas (2011-01-04 20:36:36)

#110 2011-01-09 16:38:50

Berseker

Great work guys, just discovered that this was ported to Arch too (was a Compiz-standalone user for about one year, now I've switched back to GNOME since I would like a more confortable system)..

anyway, I've some questions
- does wicd lacks of an indicator applet or am I missing something?
- I wonder why emesene2 indicator is shown under the "envelope" indicator, doesn't it belongs to the "username" menu, in which submenu you can find all the status commands?
- the clock indicator, is there a way to edit some of the clock settings? the submenu appears but grayed (so you can't select anything under it)

anyway thank you for the great work, I'm using the [ballo] repository since I had some problems compiling a package from AUR (I think it was lilbindicator that failed)

#111 2011-01-09 17:06:58

Gianfrix
Website

Berseker wrote:

- I wonder why emesene2 indicator is shown under the "envelope" indicator, doesn't it belongs to the "username" menu, in which submenu you can find all the status commands?

See here: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/10/emes … s-testers/
Emesene2 has indicator support... maybe you can check among the plugins...

Berseker wrote:

- the clock indicator, is there a way to edit some of the clock settings? the submenu appears but grayed (so you can't select anything under it)

Install gnome-system-tools and you'll be fine. Strangely, when I compiled the packages, indicator-datetime would crash if that package is not installed.

Berseker wrote:

anyway thank you for the great work, I'm using the [ballo] repository since I had some problems compiling a package from AUR (I think it was lilbindicator that failed)

Regarding that repo, it totally f****d up my GNOME install on a clean system... I managed to restore some of the packages but the environment was completely slow or unusable (e.g.: gnome-terminal could not start yikes). I had to delete GNOME packages from my cache and to reinstall all packages from extra...

~ Gianfrix

#112 2011-01-09 18:42:13

Berseker

strange, on my system not a problem at all with [ballo] repo..

anyway yes, emesene2 has indicator support, but my question is why it is not shown under the "IM indicator" like empathy for example, but has an indicator on his own and also, the emesene icon is shown under the "envelope" indicator, togheter with mail clients (which emesene2 is not).

also if someone has experience on wicd and know something about his use with an indicator, I'm all ears wink

#113 2011-01-10 01:41:04

City-busz
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

@Gianfrix: I don't know what caused that for you (maybe broken patch, missing dependency or gnome-vfs without hal), but I'll try to fix it, if you give some more information (e.g. try patched packages one by one). I tested these packages on my 2 PCs with GNOME environment, and I not found any error.

#114 2011-01-10 10:50:45

Gianfrix
Website

City-busz wrote:

@Gianfrix: I don't know what caused that for you (maybe broken patch, missing dependency or gnome-vfs without hal), but I'll try to fix it, if you give some more information (e.g. try patched packages one by one). I tested these packages on my 2 PCs with GNOME environment, and I not found any error.

I restored the normal GNOME packages and I compiled the indicator ones on AUR, but I remember that with yout gtk2 package gdm would lock on start showing a black screen.
Also I tried starting gnome-panel but it gave me this error: gnome-panel: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiobamf.so: undefined symbol: g_desktop_app_info_launch_handler_get_type. I could not uninstall bamf though due to indicator dependencies...
I reinstalled gtk2 but then GNOME had the "messed up" feeling I talked about in my last post, so I had to reinstall completely GNOME.

Berseker wrote:

my question is why it is not shown under the "IM indicator" like empathy for example, but has an indicator on his own and also, the emesene icon is shown under the "envelope" indicator, togheter with mail clients (which emesene2 is not).

Actually it does not exist an "IM indicator" big_smile
E-Mails, IM messages and even social networking messages (with Gwibber) goes into the "messaging menu" (the envelope one). Infact in Ubuntu, empathy's incoming messages are shown in that menu, and you can open the contact list clicking "Chat", and you can change your status in the "me menu" smile

~ Gianfrix

#115 2011-01-10 20:02:59

Berseker

Gianfrix wrote:

Actually it does not exist an "IM indicator" big_smile
E-Mails, IM messages and even social networking messages (with Gwibber) goes into the "messaging menu" (the envelope one). Infact in Ubuntu, empathy's incoming messages are shown in that menu, and you can open the contact list clicking "Chat", and you can change your status in the "me menu" smile

I call "IM Indicator" the one that is composed by a "comic" icon and the username (aoh, l'icona del fumetto più il nome utente wink ) (sorry for the italian)
anyway, it's not a big deal tongue

#116 2011-01-11 10:47:09

City-busz
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Gianfrix wrote:

I restored the normal GNOME packages and I compiled the indicator ones on AUR, but I remember that with yout gtk2 package gdm would lock on start showing a black screen.
Also I tried starting gnome-panel but it gave me this error: gnome-panel: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgiobamf.so: undefined symbol: g_desktop_app_info_launch_handler_get_type. I could not uninstall bamf though due to indicator dependencies...
I reinstalled gtk2 but then GNOME had the "messed up" feeling I talked about in my last post, so I had to reinstall completely GNOME.

This may caused by a wrong combination of glib2 and bamf. Currently, bamf requires a patched glib2 for it's GIO module, but it will be changed in the next release of glib2, because the patch is accepted by upstream.

So if someone wants to use my repo with pacman, he should add my repo before all other repo in pacman.conf in order patched packages installed correctly (the original glib2 in [core]!). I hope that more and more patches are accepted by GNOME developers shortly as openSUSE and Frugalware are also started adding Ayatana stuff to their distros.

#117 2011-01-11 19:06:57

Gianfrix
Website

City-busz wrote:

I hope that more and more patches are accepted by GNOME developers shortly as openSUSE and Frugalware are also started adding Ayatana stuff to their distros.

I don't think they will. Remember GNOME 3 is incoming and Ubuntu won't be using it...

~ Gianfrix

#118 2011-01-12 01:10:12

madek
Website

pd: ubuntu only don't use gnome-shell. the rest of the gnome 3 stuff yes

#119 2011-01-16 06:56:34

Elv13

Ok, I packaged Unity-2D, the replacement of Unity for 11.10 (and alternative for 11.04). It is gnome in Qt, kind of weird. Anyway, it does not work and I don't know why. Any help on this? (by the way, the packages are ugly and half backed, I installed arch for the first time today, I could argue that they are my first packages, but I could have done better.

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/9f465b4e1c/u … r.bz2.html

not worth aur, the name on the top are not mine, I did not care editing them, credit to the author of the packages I just updated/fixed.

Unity start, but does not show up. I tried with and without compositing. It probably miss some custom patch/code drop from canonical to work. I installed arch because of this, finally something to replace my old debian with iDesk and awesome on my underpowered Eee701, but I am not there yet. Any help would be welcome. I did little debugging because I know too little about qml to fix it anyway. It have no missing file according to strace. It is weird to see a binary load both Qt and Gnome.

#120 2011-01-16 21:15:22

alexj

@City-busz: thank you for the repo smile

Disfruta la vida, es más tarde de lo que crees. - Proverbio chino
Ten menos. Haz menos. Se más. - Aboodi Shaby

#121 2011-01-17 22:11:07

City-busz
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

@Elv13: I'm currently working on Unity-2d. It requires some more package and to modify some GConf settings. It will be available in my repo, and I also upload it to AUR in next days.

#122 2011-01-18 02:15:03

Elv13

@City-busz

What did I miss? I really dont understand why it does not appear on the screen while it is running, taking ram and somehow responding to mouse click (side panel only, but I will replace ti with awesome anyway).

EDIT: The new one in AUR failed to work for me, I think I will try with ubuntu to see is unity-2d is simply incompatible with my system. It is unlikely, all graphic system fail, raster, x11 and opengl

Last edited by Elv13 (2011-01-19 02:04:35)

#123 2011-01-23 00:16:02

City-busz
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Now I added many packages to my repo that requires for Unity and Unity 2D, but it's still requires some more work. The packages that have done:
For Unity 2D only: libqtbamf*, libqtdee*, libqtgconf*, unity-2d*
For Unity only: glewmx, nux*
For both: bamf, dee*, glib2>=2.27, libunity*, libzeitgeist, unity-asset-pool*, unity-place-applications*, vala>=11, zeitgeist, zeitgeist-extensions*

These packages can be downloaded for i686 from my testing repo:

[ballo-testing]
Server = http://arch.ballogyorgy.com/pkg-testing/

*=I uploaded to AUR also, but some of them will not build from there, because I can't fix/modify those packages, which maintainer not me.

Currently, Unity 2D can be tested by running: unity-2d-launcher and unity-2d-panel. They work mostly, but unity-2d-places unusable, so you can't launch applications.

Todo:
- build and package Compiz C++ with glib mainloop: I don't want to do that, I'll wait for the first stable release.
- build and package unity-place-files: I need some help with it. The build failed with the following error: "main.vala:25.10-25.20: error: The type name `Application' could not be found", and I can't fix it. - done, it requires a patch for vala compiler.
- more patches for metacity and gnome-session
- metapackages for Unity and Unity 2D which install all required packages

Further info about packages: http://arch.ballogyorgy.com/#ubuntu-testing

Last edited by City-busz (2011-01-26 02:10:25)

#124 2011-02-02 16:11:50

City-busz
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Now I updated all indicators to the latest development releases in my testing repo. Both Unity and Unity 2D are available there, but still unusable. I created a new page about how to compile and/or test them: http://arch.ballogyorgy.com/testing.html
You can test Unity 2D by installing unity-2d-meta package, and run the following commands:

$ unity-2d-places
$ unity-2d-panel
$ unity-2d-launcher

For me, panel and launcher works well, but places not, and I don't know why. Any suggestions?

#125 2011-02-07 18:51:35

Berseker

anyone interested in packaging this one?
http://code.google.com/p/feedindicator/

Board footer