You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-21 15:08:23

chochem
Website

[solved] smbnetfs authentification

I'm trying to access some folders on my router using smbnetfs - as per instructions in the wiki.

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to authenticate. The folders are neatly mountly under /mnt/smbnet but any attempts to display their contents is met by a permission denied. Now, I obviously need to enter a username and a password but where? The /etc/smbnetfs/.smb/smb.conf file is empty and although I've edited /etc/smbnetfs/.smb/smbnetfs.conf to include:

auth            "WORKGROUP/admin" "[password]"

(the name of the workgroup is WORKGROUP)

and restarted, I'm still not permitted anything....

EDIT: It seems like my authentification was actually ok, but some file permissions needed changing. Annoyingly this information was being thrown to /dev/null by the /etc/rc.d/ script mad

Last edited by chochem (2008-08-21 18:31:59)

#2 2009-01-13 19:49:57

rekado
Website

Re: [solved] smbnetfs authentification

Hi,
I'm experiencing the very same problem. I can connect with smbclient as it is asking me for a password. Funnily, though, I cannot even type "ls" in the share as I seem not to have sufficient permissions.
Through any file manager like PCManFM or Thunar it won't work either; it either just displays nothing or complains about not having permissions. I automount the shares through smbnetfs as said in the wiki.

What files did you have to give what attributes to make it work?
Is it normal that I cannot use "ls" in the shell when on the smb drive? It seems that I don't even have read permissions. I also noticed that the mount point /mnt/smbnet is owned by root:root. Any attempt to change this won"t have any effect, even though it is said to have been successfully changed.

Confusing. sad

EDIT: did I just revive an old thread? Oops... probably should have started a new one.

Last edited by rekado (2009-01-13 19:51:15)

#3 2009-01-13 21:25:33

chochem
Website

rekado wrote:

EDIT: did I just revive an old thread? Oops... probably should have started a new one.

Kinda but if it is the same issue why no recycle it? Sadly I can't be of much assistance as I didn't stick with samba but ended up using sshfs instead. But from my edit to the original I'd say try editing the daemon script to be more verbose (remember to backup the original) and restart the daemon.

#4 2009-01-13 22:22:39

rekado
Website

Wow, that actually helped me! The daemon script /etc/rc.d/smbnetfs moved the error message plus suggestion to /dev/null. The solution for me was - as the script suggested - to execute the following command:

sudo chmod 600 /etc/smbnetfs/etc/smbnetfs/.smb/smbnetfs.conf

Now it works. Thanks for the hint.

#5 2010-10-24 15:10:07

eNTi

same issue here, but the suggestion didn't work for me. i can see the users in my workgroup, but if i try to open one, i get a permission denied error. anyone any experience with that?

#6 2010-11-10 06:12:54

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Don't necro-bump..

Closing...

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer