You are not logged in.

#626 2008-11-11 22:01:02

karoshi

Re: Daily KDE4 Subversion Packages

After todays update, the amarok applets in the middle didnt work anymore, only the standard kde4 wallpaper showed up there. installed amarok2-svn from aur and everything works again wink

yaourt gave me that message at the end of installation:

Packages that were installed as dependencies but are no longer required by any installed package:
mysqle
ruby

deinstalled the two packages, seems to work.

Edit: Jabber dissappeared from kopete?

Last edited by karoshi (2008-11-11 22:48:18)

It's a bug planet!

#627 2008-11-12 02:42:57

markc
Website

@karoshi: was that really "mysqle" with an "e" perhaps for embedded mysql? It's not part of [testing]. And removing ruby surprises me a bit as it is/was the foundation of amarok scripting, although I don't follow amarok that much. I did notice a script execution window when I started amarok (20081110) just now but it was for javascript (great!). Maybe 20081111 will be better as the libplasma move into kdelibs may still have repercussions. There is a Jabber messaging service in the kopete I just looked at (20081110).

@lee_connell: I think Githzera meant that extra KDE4 functionality should be enabled in kvirc, when it's built, but it doesn't seem to be active.

#628 2008-11-12 08:58:18

Githzerai

@lee_connell: marc said it: I ment of compiling kvirc with kde4 support enabled. Only thing i found it does is somther and nicer splash screen. Everything else is the same, which is normal considering kvirc is only a port to qt4 at hte moment, but I think it woluld have use of it in the future.

@karoshi: What seems to be the problem with amarok from extragear-multimedia? If something is missing, maybe (surely) we can modify pkgbuild to enable it.... BTW, msqle is a dep for amarok, and since recently without it you cant build amarok at all.

@markc: jabber protocol is missing in kopete 2008111116. I'm not sure, but maybe is a missing dep, since jabber protocol depends on some unusuall things like qca and so...

#629 2008-11-12 09:45:36

karoshi

Well, a few weeks ago when i started to use kde4.2 i couldnt get amarok to work. when i tried to play a track the only thing that happened was that my harddisk was doing really ugly scratchy noise. so installed amarok2-svn with yaourt and from then on it worked, i may remember that this installation also included patching mysql.

after yesterday update, as i posted before, the middle applets didnt show up anymore, so i updated amarok2-svn with yaourt and it worked again, even after removing mysqle and ruby.

sorry, i cant help you more on this matter, i'm just an (somehow "experienced") user and not very much in that packagebuilding stuff.

It's a bug planet!

#630 2008-11-12 10:51:06

Riklaunim
Website

KDE 4.2-SVN works quite stable now, but it's like e17 with apps. All that animations, and oxygen theme effects are bit annoying, and make the UI less responsive than on normal style + no graphics effects (and style change is needed for the standard K-menu to work without glitches too). Nepomuk - file tagging, fulltext file search - does most of the users need this by default? it's by default in KDE and nepomuk can take nice shares of CPU time.
One improvement over KDE3 that I could really use is better HTML/JS rendering in Konqueror + better navigation bars handling. The rest - "cool" visual effects etc. is rather useless to me on daily work, and it's annoying that using KDE4.2 makes CPU fan go on higher speeds (while for example OpenOffice doesn't has such "feature") smile and I'm talking about Core 2 Duo and nVidia GeForce 8600M smile So I won't move from kdemod-legacy for some time...

#631 2008-11-12 14:03:37

markc
Website

Re amarok in extragear-multimedia, atm kaffeinegl is failing with some libxine error so amarok won't be updated for another day or two. I know it now needs embedded MySQL but I can't find any "mysqle" package. I think you guys may mean just the normal mysql package (as opposed to libmysqlclient) as it contains the static /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqld.a lib for building against.

@Riklaunim: I agree with you fwiw. I bought into KDE4 back in the days when faster application startup and double buffered non-flickering widgets were going to become available via Qt4... just like on windows. It's sad to see the whole project hijacked and rerouted sideways instead of moving forward with, what is to me, the important basics. All the fluff and the promise of a "new desktop paradigm" is cool and all but not at the expense of blowing away what is/was the most important year for open source desktop deployment... the same year that vista flopped and "we" really needed a solid reliable KDE 3.6 based on Qt4. Plasma is a great idea but it should never have been allowed to steal away a whole years worth of windows replacement potential. I reckon "we've" lost millions of new users because of plasma development taking center stage. It'll be at least 4.3 before the system is profiled and stable, and has adequate documentation... right around when W7 will be released to steal all the thunder. Oh well, paradise lost. I hope to be using a fast Qt-only desktop by then anyway ;-)

#632 2008-11-12 14:29:26

karoshi

mysqle is in the AUR

It's a bug planet!

#633 2008-11-12 14:38:09

Janax

mysqle is in AUR, but you only need the 'mysql' package in 'extra' anyway.  My amarok installation from markc's repo works perfectly with it.

#634 2008-11-12 18:22:58

Githzerai

1. @karoshi 

Latest mysql packages from Arch official repositories are already patched, so mysqle from AUR is no longer required. I think what happened is that u had earlier installation of amarok-svn from period  when mysqle package was needed, since no amarok related package from AUR today depends on it( they all require mysql avavilable in [extra]), so yaourt sugested it's no longer needed and can be removed.

Trouble with mid-window applets (like now playing and so) appeared here also yesterday, or day before maybe, but it was related to bad-time amarok svn checkout, since amarok guys are doing some work on it these days. I'm quite sure that it will be gone with next build.

Also you, off course , understand that svn builds are ment to be used only by devs and trukie-jukies like us, so problems are expected, and first thing to do is to delete all previous app related user configuration in home. The usual thing, helps in almost 80% of cases. wink

2.@Riklaunim

However strange it may seeem, one of the basic ideas behind plasma is that system becomes more responsive and less CPU eating. Basic concept is that all that is related to graphics should be processed by GPU instead of CPU (and by all I mean  all graphics related things, starting with simple ones like font and text rendering, and then more complex ones like translucency and varios plasma and kwin effects), and it's not at all new idea, since modern, or not even so modern, video games use this concept all the time.What KDE guys thougth was: "Why don't we use this with UI and all the other "ordinary" applications?" Which, by all means, would be great: GPU would do all the graphics which would enable CPU more available resources to do the real jobs.

However, there is a catch: non-free graphics drivers for Nvidia and ATI do not work as they are supposed to. Things that work with no effort in video games just won't work with ordinary UI apps, for unknown reason. Your bad luck is that you have the most  problematic card available: Nvidia 8600, it's drivers are at very least damn ugly. I had same problems with Gf 8 series, and finaly decided to put my old 6600 and everything just rocket-boosted. It's just unbelieveable that much older card works so much better, but so it is. Nvidia people keep promising new drivers which will fix this but we are waiting for them for so many months now....

Also, to answer to markc about Qt4 widgets: They are at standstill for exactly the same driver problems.

I also don't think that plasma is taking the central place in KDE4 development (I mean: do you honestly think that there hasn't been a lot of improvemements in other kde apps, after seeing them and using them? wink ), it's just that plasma is the first impression user has after starting kde4 and it's the major change in kde world. So no wonder everybody talks about it....

I must say I'm very gratefull that KDE 3 is still such a great enviromet (and it will remain great for a long time) that we don't have to panic at this point. On the other hand, I'm a KDE user since 2002, and I've never seen so much progrees in kde world like in this 10 months since 4.0 was released.

3.@markc

First, kaffeine and kaffeinegl build like dream here, any sys/dep related problem, maybe ? Bad time svn checkout maybe?

Second,I not sure how much are you aware of it, i'm sure you are to some extent, but current packages are not option complete. Yes, they compile, yes, they work, but not with all options enabled, and not all apps enabled in sections
Now there are two reasons for it:
a) It's understandably hard to track down all the optional deps and resolve them, especially when you're building whole thing section by section, not app by app.
b) some of deps are maintained only in AUR (or not even there), like libssh2 needed for kftpgrabber in extragear/network, or libnice for kopete jingle plugin, and many other things.

So my question would be:
a) Would you be interested to build those optional extensions/applications ?
b) Would you be interested to add an aditional subrepo for those deps that are outside of official repositorises? (Shouldn't be more then 10-15 rather small and easily mainatinable packages, which would be needed to rebuild mayby only once in 2-3 months.)

If the answer is yes, I would be more than glad to provide all dependancy changes to existing packages and  pkgbuilds for those "outsiders". Just say the magic word wink

#635 2008-11-13 01:09:19

markc
Website

@Githzerai: absolutely wonderful, yes, that is what the [dev] repo section is for and it's had various deps in the past...

http://pkg.eth-os.org/eth-os/dev/i686/

You are more than welcome (anyone is) to co-maintain these source packages by supplying me with any Google ID (gmail etc) and I can add you as a member then you have write perms for the source package repo and make whatever changes you feel are worthy directly yourself. If you are interested the just email your Google ID to markc@renta.net.

And while we are on a good news track, I finally spent all last night and went thru all 35 PKGBUILDs and updated them to standalone source packages...

http://code.google.com/p/eth-os/updates/list

They are still not AUR compatible but anyone can now go into a package folder and type "makepkg -csi" and it should build and install, and/or install "mpkg" and use it to build the package. The only "restriction" is that $SRCDEST and $PKGDEST need to be uncommented in /etc/makepkg.conf and the listed directories (can be anywhere) need to exist and have your build user perms. I still need to do the non-kde-svn packages and refactor the mpkg script to get rid of the fetch source parts it used to do and remove some fields from the mpkg.sqlite database.

The most compatible setup is cd $SRCDEST; svn co http://eth-os.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ eth-os and then, for instance, "mpkg kdesupport" will download the source (now makepkg will too), build the package and update a local binary repo in $PKGDEST/eth-os.

#636 2008-11-13 14:27:50

EvilSide

Version 4.1.73 (KDE 4.1.73 (KDE 4.2 >= 20081112))
This version (which is provided by today's build) is very stable. So go on, upgrade! tongue

#637 2008-11-15 20:49:23

lee_connell

Todays updates, i login to kde and i see nepomuk rebuilds it's index and then i just get a beige screen, no plasma or anything, i can alt + f2 and run programs through krunner however.  anyone else experience this issue?

#638 2008-11-15 23:08:24

MillTek

lee_connell wrote:

Todays updates, i login to kde and i see nepomuk rebuilds it's index and then i just get a beige screen, no plasma or anything, i can alt + f2 and run programs through krunner however.  anyone else experience this issue?

Just completed the update without problems.  What is great is that the fix for being able to spread the panel across two monitors is now working!!!

#639 2008-11-16 02:37:26

lee_connell

The issue was with vbox, i had to install the guest addins and add vboxvideo to xorg.conf.  then del .kde directory. works like a charm now.

#640 2008-11-16 05:48:20

markc
Website

I've got a 32bit Kubuntu partition that I just upgraded from hardy to intrepid, which comes with KDE 4.1 as the default desktop, and it's very obvious how much KDE 4.2 from svn has progressed. Honestly, if I had to use that version of 4.1 I would probably follow the non-easy tutorials to install KDE 3.5.10 from an unofficial deb repo. What we use here can be rough at times but it's obviously faster and smoother than the latest Kubuntu that a lot of folks use. There is another 2 months of 4.2 devel to go yet so it may very well yet be a 1st class desktop by next January... more or less what 4.0 should have been January of this year. I still think it'll take until 4.3 on top of Qt 4.5 in the middle of next year, and until all the KDE3 extras are completely updated and profiled (konversation, koffice etc), before I'd be confident to install KDE4 on a new users machine as an introduction to linux but I can imagine by then it'll be really really good. /me thoughts after spending a few hours in Kubuntu (boring!).

For some reason composite is not working for me but there should be a new bling feature that when a panel is hidden it "glows" as the mouse gets near to the edge where it's hiding... can anyone see this?

#641 2008-11-16 12:14:28

Githzerai

If noone noticed kftpgrabber is finally a part of extragear-network. It depends on libssh2 now added to [dev].
I must say it never looked better.

Currently you have to install libssh2 manualy, but next build should recognise it automaticaly as a dep.

Last edited by Githzerai (2008-11-16 12:15:01)

#642 2008-11-16 14:13:15

capthookb

markc wrote:

For some reason composite is not working for me but there should be a new bling feature that when a panel is hidden it "glows" as the mouse gets near to the edge where it's hiding... can anyone see this?

I haven't seen it either (i'm using i686). The only thing i've seen is the glossy default bottom pannel with a blueish color when composite is off, and when it's on a bluish frame around applications on taskbar. By the way composite is really slow and in-responsive in my computer due to nvidia drivers (i guess), so most of the time i have it off.

I also saw some commits to kopete and especially msn. There is now a new plugin for msn (supporting MSNP15 although i don't know what that is) and it needs libmsn from sourcefoge.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libmsn
So markc maybe you have to add libmsn as a dependency (i don't know if you already seen it). There is a PKGBUILD in AUR
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=21501

Last edited by capthookb (2008-11-16 14:18:04)

#643 2008-11-16 14:44:47

Githzerai

It cna be done, I'll check on it. I'm already working on adding jingle support for kopete, so it would be two things done at the same time. wink

However i must say that stability is a priority : we can't have entire kopete not being able to compile because of some (experimental) plugin.

Last edited by Githzerai (2008-11-16 14:45:36)

#644 2008-11-16 15:11:39

capthookb

After today update, kopete doesn't have msn support. I guess i was left out due to missing libmsn.

#645 2008-11-17 03:20:30

markc
Website

The is really the first publically usable version of the mpkg script that I use to build the [kde-svn] binary packages. All the associated PKGBUILDs have been (finally!) converted to standalone versions so they can be used by makepkg without needing this script. The only caveat is that $SRCDEST and $PKGDEST from /etc/makepkg.conf need to be available and writable by the build user ID. The mpkg script uses makepkg and then adds the binary packages to a local repo and optionally uploads them to a remote host using rsync. It makes it very simple to update a single package or an entire "distro" so now you can download the source packages, change the cmake variable -CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release to debug or debugfull and build your own debug version using either (for example) cd /path/to/somepkg; makepkg -csi or mpkg somepkg. Just type mpkg on it's own after installing dev/mpkg to get the latest usage details as per below...

mpkg v0.5.1 20081117 markc@renta.net (AGPL)

An ArchLinux based system to manage building either single packages
or complete 'distros' using entries indexed from a SQLite database.

Usage:

mpkg [(distro|section|package)|chroot|clean_pkg|clean_src|clean_bin]

where 'distro|section|package' could be any managed package or a
whole section (like [cli] [dev] [net] etc) or even an entire distro.
The Archlinux source PKGBUILDs need to manage downloading the source
and then this script places the resulting binary package into a repo
ready for inclusion using pacman. It will also optionally sync the
binary repo to a remote server.

Examples:

mpkg pkgname     - will build an individual package
  mpkg section     - will build a distro section
  mpkg distro      - will build a whole distro
  mpkg all         - will build everything, all packages

mpkg chroot      - changes to an alternative build area
  ex; mpkg chroot 'mpkg somepkg' - builds somepkg in i686 chroot
  ex; mpkg chroot 'mpkg distro upload' - builds distro and uploads
  ex; mpkg chroot 'sudo pacman -Syuf' - execs arbituary i686 command

mpkg clean_pkg   - cleans src, pkg and log files from source dirs
  mpkg clean_src   - removes tarballs and zipfils from root of $SRCDEST
  mpkg clean_bin   - removes old duplicate binary packages from repo

Real world example:

mpkg chroot 'mpkg kde-svn upload' ; time mpkg kde-svn upload

The above chroots into a 32 bit i686 partition, builds the 30+ packages
from the KDE Subversion repository and then uploads the binary packages
to the remote host at http://pkg.eth-os.org/kde-svn. It then proceeds to
do the same for the natively hosted 64bit x86_64 packages.

Last edited by markc (2008-11-17 03:29:33)

#646 2008-11-17 14:15:34

markc
Website

And here is the associated mcfg script info to manage the SQLite database. Both are included in the [dev]/mpkg package or can be downloaded along with the source packages at... cd $SRCDEST; svn co http://eth-os.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ eth-os or http://eth-os.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/eth-os/dev/mpkg/

mcfg v0.1.0 20081117 markc@renta.net (AGPL)

A script to configure and manage the mpkg.sqlite database.

Usage:

mcfg info|show|find|new|rm|prio|init|dump|template [args]

Examples:

mcfg               - show this help screen
  mcfg info          - show basic info
  mcfg show [pkg]    - search for and show pkgs in build order
  mcfg find anything - wildcard search for pkg, dist, section
  mcfg new pkg dist [section] - add a new entry
  mcfg rm pkg        - remove an entry
  mcfg prio pkg #    - change priority number for pkg (0 to skip)
  mcfg init filename - initialize a new database
  mcfg dump          - dump the current database contents
  mcfg template      - display a basic blank PKGBUILD template

Notes:

. only the first 2 chars are needed except for ini(t) and inf(o)
. show needs an exact match whereas find uses a wildcard search
. new needs at least the package and distro names

Last edited by markc (2008-11-17 14:16:21)

#647 2008-11-17 14:45:49

Riklaunim
Website

I have a Compal FL 90 laptop with nVidia GeForce 8600M GT, and I have problem with desktop effects. On arch If I try to wobble a window (or just move it) the window gets semitransparent, but the animation of moving window isn't shown (locked at start position). On similar Gentoo install I can wobble as I like with no such effect. And standard K-menu flickers on Arch, and works rather ok on Gentoo.

The only difference seems to be X.org - 1.4 on Arch, and 1.5 on Gentoo. Can X.org make such differences?

Arch
extra/nvidia 177.80-2
extra/xorg-server 1.4.2-2
kde-svn

Gentoo
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers 177.80
x11-base/xorg-server 1.5.2
kde 4.1.73 / kde-crazy overlay // broken here and there
kde 4.1.3

#648 2008-11-17 15:27:36

lee_connell

How do i get qt4 headers?  I am trying to complile KGTK: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=36077 and it can't find qt4 headers, I don't see anything in repos regarding these headers, what should I do to get these?

#649 2008-11-17 16:09:07

Riklaunim
Website

It's for Qt3/Kde3 and not Qt4/KDE4 smile

#650 2008-11-17 16:46:37

MillTek

I have a question that my seem pretty basic.   If I install one of the daily svn sets of KDE4 packages and it has a bug that I can't live with what is the best way of 'downgrading' to the previous day's set??

Thanks

Board footer