MillTek

Re: Daily KDE4 Subversion Packages

habarnam wrote:

Tracemonkey, the new Javascript engine.

It is really fast. Thanks habarnam!

#804 2008-12-13 11:46:23

capthookb

markc, the package playground-base is built in 11 of November 2008. Maybe that's the reason for no working plasmoids. Additionaly, the installed package is playground-base but in your svn of eth-os/kde-svn the packages is called playground-base-plasma. I am trying to build it on my own, but it is failing in marble wallpaper.

Building process complains about missing BoundingBox.h of /usr/include/marble which is installed by kdeedu. kdeedu seems out of date as well, built on 25 Oct 2008.

Unfortunately kdeedu cannot be built. Althouth i copied all marble header files from trunk to /usr/include/marble and building of playground-base-plasma is ok. So are the plasmoids after updating playgound-base-plasma.

Last edited by capthookb (2008-12-13 13:28:20)

#805 2008-12-13 16:51:17

habarnam
Website

I can cofirm the behavior reported by capthookb.
Also I see the addition of a Network Plasmoid... unfortunately the System Configuration - Network Settings (also a new addition) doesn't seem to work.

#806 2008-12-13 18:28:07

EvilSide

@markc: extragear-multimedia is from 16 November. Can you rebuild it?
btw amarok 2 final is released wink

#807 2008-12-13 18:52:34

atomopawn

These packages no longer work with the latest version of "heimdal" (kerberos encryption library) from testing.  What happens is that kio_http breaks (it is linked against the old heimdal) and so konqueror reports "could not launch http process".  Akregator, kmail, and other utilities that use kio_http also break. 

Reverting to the old heimdal fixes the problem as a workaround, but this breaks mplayer and so forth.  Anyway, thought I'd post this in case anyone else with these packages is experiencing the same problem.

#808 2008-12-13 19:18:09

atomopawn

Hmm.  Downgrading isn't such a great solution after all.  It breaks openssh and mplayer from "extra". 

Mark -- would it be possible to build kdelibs against the new heimdal from testing?  (Version 1.2.1)

Thanks! (And thanks for providing these packages, they rock!)

#809 2008-12-13 20:11:40

b9anders

has anyone been able to get compiz working with the beta? I have a feeling kwin is the source of my troubles.

#810 2008-12-14 13:44:37

pano

is anyone capable of using the WLN (sic!) plugin with kopete?
I always get aa error when I try to add an wlm account...

#811 2008-12-14 13:57:42

markc
Website

@atomopawn: it's worth a try but it will disrupt folks who are not using [testing]... so be warned, the next update will require testing/heimdal and testing/openssh at a minimum... here's a basic recipe for non-testing users...

sudo nano /etc/pacman.conf # uncomment [testing]
sudo pacman -Sy # ignore the pacman update
sudo pacman -S heimdal openssh subversion neon apr-util # perhaps others, mplayer etc
# edit /etc/ pacman.conf again and re-add comments to [testing]
# do another -Syu to make sure you are back to "normal"

Last edited by markc (2008-12-14 14:09:32)

#812 2008-12-14 15:38:33

markc
Website

@capthookb: thanks for picking up on that, for some reason playground-libs and playground-base-plasma got left out after a recent mpkg.sqlite cleanup. kdeedu had a silly "rm indilib" line in the PKGBUILD that prevented it from being packaged and uploaded after being built so now the missing marble header is available and playground-base-plasma builds. Remove the old playground-plasma package.

@EvilSide: I rm'd my $SRCDEST/extragear/multimedia/amarok source dir altogether and did a fresh update and now extragear-multimedia seems to be building, not finished yet but looking better than it was.

#813 2008-12-14 15:44:18

capthookb

extragear-multimedia just finished on my machine and it got built ok.

#814 2008-12-14 16:54:26

atomopawn

Thanks, Mark!  I can't say how much I appreciate these packages.  KDE 4.2 fixes so many of the things that were goofy with 4.1.3.  It's sweet living on the bleeding edge.

#815 2008-12-15 04:16:01

habarnam
Website

Hello again,
Regarding the sytem-printer-manager-kde, I posted a bug, though I'm not very sure it qualifies as one.

But I have a more nasty problem, is anyone using PowerDevil, and does it work ? For me it stopped to, about 2-3 weeks ago. I have tried to use it in with and without laptop-tools, but it's the same.

By stopped working I mean:
- Suspend to RAM/Disk do not work.
- Changing screen light in the battery applet does not work.
- If letting PowerDevil to manage my monitor DPMS - this doesn't work. (with PD disabled it does)
- Does not work to change Profiles from the battery applet.

Later edit:
According to the system-printer-manager-kde maintainer, it's a packaging problem... I agree that's true, but since Arch is somewhat a source based distro... I doubt that anyone can do anything that can go upstream unless the system-printer-manager developers split the package into *-common and *-gnome sub-packages.

Last edited by habarnam (2008-12-15 05:19:53)

#816 2008-12-15 09:43:50

Solid1986Snake

HI markc

"@markc: extragear-multimedia is from 16 November. Can you rebuild it?
btw amarok 2 final is released wink"

Vote from me too, can you please build extragear-multimedia again... on my machine i get stuck with amarok... didn't get why until now...

Some Infos: i get this output here:

/bin/sh: line 1: 13376 Segmentation fault      /home/solid/eth-os-read-only/kde-svn/extragear-multimedia/src/build/amarok/src/scriptengine/generator/generator/generator --output-directory=/home/solid/eth-os-read-only/kde-svn/extragear-multimedia/src/build/amarok/src/scriptengine/generator/generator --include-paths=/usr/include                                              
make[2]: *** [amarok/src/scriptengine/generator/generator/generator] Error 139                                                                                                             
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/solid/eth-os-read-only/kde-svn/extragear-multimedia/src/build'                                                                                           
make[1]: *** [amarok/src/scriptengine/generator/generator/CMakeFiles/generator.dir/all] Error 2                                                                                            
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /home/solid/eth-os-read-only/kde-svn/extragear-multimedia/src/build/CMakeFiles                                                                     
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

seems to be related to this one here: [ 11%] Building CXX object amarok/src/context/CMakeFiles/amarokplasma.dir/plasma/widgets/signalplotter.o 

@habarnam
powerdevil is working fine here for me... within suspend and hibernate through pm-utils... There seems to be a configuration Problem on your machine!
like mark said... reinstallig kde-svn fixes very often such weired problems... just by putting some files in the right direction..

By the way:
What do you guys think to have an irc channel for the people using daily subversion packages... maybe its more efficient than forum...

Last edited by Solid1986Snake (2008-12-15 10:54:00)

#817 2008-12-15 13:55:57

markc
Website

@Solid1986Snake: thanks for the input. I get 96% of the way thru extragear-multimedia on x86_64 but it dies when amarok tries to link in /usr/lib/mysql/libmysqld.a with an error saying it needs to be built with -fPIC. I guess the x86_64 mysql package needs to be rebuilt with -fPIC added to CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS, which is what I think I needed to do to get it to build the last time. I haven't had a chance to check out the i686 version so I'm not sure what it needs.

As for better communications, I occasionally sit on a channel called #eth-os at freenode but it gets lonely chatting to myself. One of the best places is the Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/eth-os as it's email or web based and archived. I stopped the svn updates from going into it so it's not so noisy now but the main thing is that it's totally cool to paste anything, unlike irc, so showing errors and logging to chase up and compare bugs is easier.

And to repeat myself, if anyone wants to be able to update and help co-maintain these sources packages then just join that google group and say so. I only use a few core kde-svn packages so it's impossible for me to stay on top of all of them and to keep them all well tuned and uptodate.

#818 2008-12-15 14:21:04

Solid1986Snake

@markc

you'r right with your suggestion that mysql needs to be recompiled with -fPIC swith... I got this Information form the amarok2 package from aur!

I will look at google groups..

Thanks..

#819 2008-12-16 07:33:46

tanis

Although I'm not using the svn version, 4.1.85 should be pretty similar so I guess I might ask the question here smile
The questions is if you experience the same issues - I have nvidia card, and all the effects work really nice, except for
systray. I have auto-hide enabled and when it hides all the icons in the systray don't follow. They stay in the same
place for a second or so and then they fade out. Also, their backgrounds are broken - usually it is just a part
of application or wallpaper that was displayed below when the panel was displayed, but every time I hide/unhide
the panel it changes - between that background and just plain black or sometimes dark grey. When I disable desktop effects
the problem goes away. Unfortunately it goes away together with all the effects wink

The other issue I am experiencing is screen flickering. From time to time the whole screen blinks, similar to changing resolution or refresh rate,
but it's not that and is way shorter. Have any of you experienced anything similar, or knows the solution?
I have found Ubuntu bugreport, but the problem was some Suse patch, which is not the case here.

I have nvidia card and nvidia binary drivers.

#820 2008-12-16 08:03:32

markc
Website

@tanis: atm I haven't updated in the last few days so maybe a recent svn fixed now but I also get the dangling systray icons when the panel autohides. Same with the occasional screen flicker and I use the nvidia binary driver too. You've described both problems really well so perhaps it's worth a low priority bug report at bugs.kde.org.

Added a kde-svn-extra section to kde-svn

I've made a change to the source and binary repo layout and moved some KDE related packages from the eth-os/dev and eth-os/gui sections to kde-svn/kde-svn-extra so all kde-svn related packages are now in the same area and will get built regularly along with the main daily kde-svn packages. So the /etc/pacman.conf change is to (probably) remove any references to my other [dev] and [gui] sections and add a [kde-svn-extra] one above [kde-svn]. I've only just done this so I hope it doesn't cause any, or too many, problems. Please report anything weird.

# for i686 users
[kde-svn-extra]
Server = http://pkg.eth-os.org/kde-svn-extra/i686
[kde-svn]
Server = http://pkg.eth-os.org/kde-svn/i686

# for x86_64 users
[kde-svn-extra]
Server = http://pkg.eth-os.org/kde-svn-extra/x86_64
[kde-svn]
Server = http://pkg.eth-os.org/kde-svn/x86_64

The kde-svn build order now looks like this below. I suspect the priority of the kde-svn-extra packages should be higher so they obviously build before the main kde-svn packages.

# mcfg sh kde-svn
SELECT priority,distro,section,pkgname FROM packages WHERE distro="kde-svn" OR section="kde-svn" OR pkgname="kde-svn" ORDER BY priority DESC,distro,section,pkgname
90      kde-svn/kdesupport
85      kde-svn/kdelibs
80      kde-svn/kdepimlibs
60      kde-svn/kdebase
10      kde-svn/extragear-base
10      kde-svn/extragear-graphics
10      kde-svn/extragear-libs
10      kde-svn/extragear-multimedia
10      kde-svn/extragear-network
10      kde-svn/extragear-pim
10      kde-svn/kdeaccessibility
10      kde-svn/kdeadmin
10      kde-svn/kdeartwork
10      kde-svn/kdebindings
10      kde-svn/kdeedu
10      kde-svn/kdegames
10      kde-svn/kdegraphics
10      kde-svn/kdemultimedia
10      kde-svn/kdenetwork
10      kde-svn/kdepim
10      kde-svn/kdeplasma-addons
10      kde-svn/kdereview
10      kde-svn/kdesdk
10      kde-svn/kdetoys
10      kde-svn/kdeutils
10      kde-svn/kdevelop
10      kde-svn/kdevplatform
10      kde-svn/kdewebdev
10      kde-svn/koffice
10      kde-svn/playground-base-plasma
10      kde-svn/playground-libs
10      kde-svn/kde-svn-extra/gtk-qt-engine
10      kde-svn/kde-svn-extra/hal-cups-utils
10      kde-svn/kde-svn-extra/kdesvn
10      kde-svn/kde-svn-extra/kgrubeditor
10      kde-svn/kde-svn-extra/kradioripper
10      kde-svn/kde-svn-extra/krusader
10      kde-svn/kde-svn-extra/kvirc
10      kde-svn/kde-svn-extra/lensfun
10      kde-svn/kde-svn-extra/libmsn
10      kde-svn/kde-svn-extra/libssh2
0       kde-svn/qt-copy
0       kde-svn/qt-copy-doc
0       kde-svn/kde-svn-extra/libmtp

I've had to set libmtp to a priority of 0 so it gets skipped because it does a wget of an extra file which requires manual y/n input, so it would stop an overall build. There are 2 packages like this now and I'm not sure how best to deal with that in a script.

Suggestions welcome as to what else to add/remove from kde-svn-extra, and the same for the main kde-svn packages for that matter, from playground etc.

Last edited by markc (2008-12-18 09:55:19)

#821 2008-12-16 13:10:33

mutlu_inek

tanis wrote:

all the effects work really nice, except for systray. I have auto-hide enabled and when it hides all the icons in the systray don't follow. They stay in the same place for a second or so and then they fade out.

AFAIR this has nothing to do with nvidia since it is due to conflicting concepts in the current systray spec and plasma's rendering. The plasma guys want to push a new freedesktop systray spec, but it will have to wait for 4.3.

... I wouldn't mind to remember wrongly, though.

#822 2008-12-16 18:46:03

pano

pano wrote:

is anyone capable of using the WLN (sic!) plugin with kopete?
I always get aa error when I try to add an wlm account...

can anyone please test this for me?

thank you

#823 2008-12-16 18:52:08

capthookb

I'm using the wlm plugin without any problems. Have you installed libmsn?

#824 2008-12-16 19:43:21

pano

smile thanks a lot...
I even thought that this might be a bug^^

thanks

#825 2008-12-17 11:54:16

habarnam
Website

@markc: dunno if this is a bug or not with your packaging environment, but I compiled kdepimlibs (need to submit a backtrace) and for some reason it installs libraries in /usr/lib/KdepimLibs-4.2.0/ instead of /usr/lib/KdepimLibs/ and the packages depending on it fail compiling because they can't find it.

My workaround was to symlink to the right place.

Board footer