You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-04 03:40:54

elifarley
Website

Modular rc.sysinit

I have a suggestion that may simplify modifying system initialization, by using something we could call SIMs (for SysInit Modules).
A SIM could simplify system initialization by spliting file rc.sysinit into modules, which could then be enabled or disabled in rc.conf.

By having system initialization modules as separate files, it could be easier for people to improve the overall process.

I have created a feature request and attached to it the relevant files (which I'm using in my ArchLinux installation) so that you guys can have a hands-on experience. It can be found at http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/14569.

#2 2009-05-04 03:44:14

eldragon

Re: Modular rc.sysinit

doesnt this go against the KISS principle?

#3 2009-05-04 04:13:09

vkumar

Some would say KISS is violated, some wouldn't.. Personally, I think it's a simple idea - but that there's a simpler one;

1. find an editor that lets you do block comments in bash scripts
2. open up rc.sysinit, and comment the lines that you don't want executed

pre: there's stuff in rc.sysinit that you don't want (RAID setup, fsck, lvm, etc. etc.).

simple smile

div curl F = 0

#4 2009-05-04 04:22:27

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

rc.sysinit is already 'split' somewhere with things like the 'network' and 'netfs' DAEMONS. Instead of 'violating' KISS and implementing a new process (aka 'SIM'), why not just extend the functionality we already have an use with DAEMONS. I know there's the obvious issue with the fact that we're not strictly speaking about daemons, but we're already doing it with the afore mentioned processes.

Failing that, I'll be the first to suggest the 'network' and 'netfs' daemon scripts become a "SIM" big_smile

Board footer