You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-29 04:48:37

NeoTubNinja

Screen resolution at boot

Ok I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for to be honest.

I have arch on my laptop and when I log in, after the udev is processed it switches resolutions to better suit my monitor.

This is great and all, but now I am setting up a media server on a desktop and it is doing it again.  Normally this wouldnt be a problem, but this causes my tv to occasionally lose the signal (I'm making the assumption based on the fact it never happened before I logged in for the first time and did a system update).

All of this happens before I even do anything with the xorg or for that matter even log in. Even after startx it still happens.

What I have tried so far is editing the menu.lst for grub to various framebuffer resolutions but that seems to have no effect. Short of this, I am currently at a loss to what to do.  In the end it won't be a big problem because it will eventually just be a hub to access files from other computers in the house, but updating it is annoying when I lose the picture every ~30 seconds.

Now, I'm not sure what the problem is as none of this has happened before initial update or even while I was installing arch.

--- One key note ---
I'm hooking it up to my 32 inch lcd tv with a vga cable. I also do the same to watch movies on the tv with my laptop, but there has never been an issue.

If anybody has a clue as to what is wrong, or how to go about it would appreciate it.  Otherwise I guess I will have to hook it up to my "actual" desktop monitor so I can do things, but thats is far too much of a hassle. sad

#2 2010-06-29 05:54:33

rusty99

Re: Screen resolution at boot

Search for KMS and / or nomodeset.

#3 2010-07-02 13:32:52

cantabile

Re: Screen resolution at boot

I hear there are problems with getting edid info over vga cables. The solution is to specify the resolution and refresh rate yourself on the kernel command line, in the form of 'video=1366x768@60'. ( http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document … modedb.txt )

Board footer