You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-30 12:40:14

SkyTod

cups is going crazy

Hi.
I installed  cups and it detected my printer. And worked well. Today I want to print something, but can't. My cups does random fails:

[root@myhost ~]# /etc/rc.d/cups stop
:: Stopping CUPS Daemon                                                                                  [FAIL] 
[root@myhost ~]# /etc/rc.d/cups start
:: Starting CUPS Daemon                                                                                  [DONE] 
:: Stopping CUPS Daemon                                                                                  [DONE] 
:: Starting CUPS Daemon                                                                                  [FAIL] 
:: Stopping CUPS Daemon                                                                                  [BUSY] 
rm: failed to remove `/var/run/cups.pid': No such file or directory
                                                                                                         [DONE] 
[root@myhost ~]# /etc/rc.d/cups restart
:: Stopping CUPS Daemon                                                                                  [BUSY] 
rm: failed to remove `/var/run/cups.pid': No such file or directory
                                                                                                         [DONE] 
:: Starting CUPS Daemon                                                                                  [FAIL] 
:: Starting CUPS Daemon                                                                                  [DONE]

May somebody explain me what's going on?
I guess this is bug from new version of cups. Maybe not. Printer is HP LaserJet 6P. Thanks!

Last edited by SkyTod (2010-06-30 16:24:03)

#2 2010-06-30 21:46:33

SkyTod

Re: cups is going crazy

Where can I get previously version of cups?

#3 2010-07-01 13:50:30

SkyTod

Damn! Today I see following:

/etc/rc.d/cups stop
pidof: can't get program name from /proc/5289/stat

pidof: can't get program name from /proc/7323/stat

pidof: can't get program name from /proc/10382/stat

pidof: can't get program name from /proc/11210/stat

Screen of bash as proof.

And one more thing: when I make some cups-action (start/stop/restart) system is retarding(working so slow and using my swap).

#4 2010-07-01 14:43:48

benmorgan

As /etc/rc.d/cups is just a script (try looking at it), try starting /usr/sbin/cupsd and see what output it gives. On another note, why are you starting and stopping cups all the time? Or, what does it have to do with your problem? Can you not print or something?

#5 2010-07-01 15:25:27

SkyTod

I can't print anything. Cups doesn't see my printer… It used to work. I reinstalled cups and it works but it can't detect my printer anyway. Printer is attached.

#6 2010-07-01 19:28:48

SkyTod

benmorgan wrote:

As /etc/rc.d/cups is just a script (try looking at it), try starting /usr/sbin/cupsd and see what output it gives. On another note, why are you starting and stopping cups all the time? Or, what does it have to do with your problem? Can you not print or something?

Again the same fail.  /usr/sbin/cupsd :

[root@myhost ~]# /usr/sbin/cupsd
[root@myhost ~]#

Where may I see the log?

#7 2010-07-14 10:25:18

linas

/var/log/cups/ folder
You may need to increase the verbosity at /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Running cupsd in foreground might also help:
/usr/sbin/cupsd -f

#8 2010-07-14 21:42:56

AndyRTR
Developer

I had something similar in the past. Recreating the cupsd.conf from the recent shipped example conf solved it for me.

Board footer