You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-14 23:05:20

xjedi

ln/ creating syslinks

Hey guys, In order to get arch to play dvds i had to create a link to the cdrom device. To do this i used the ln command. But when i restarted my computer the syslink goes away. and i have to keep creating it. Although it would make since just to create a shell script that creates the link at boot everytime im too lazy too.

SOOO is there anyway i can create the link without it deleting itself after reboot? Thanx

#2 2005-02-14 23:19:59

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: ln/ creating syslinks

ok, wow, you should really shrink that thing down

here we go - this is complicated....

when creating a symlink (ln -sf) on a normal filesystem, it is created as is any other file... however, the link you are creating is under /dev... /dev is managed by udev... it's it's own filesystem in a way... so unless you tell udev you want this symlink, it's not staying

there are two ways to go about this:
a) tell udev to make the symlink for you
b) change the configuration of the app your using to point to a different device

I prefer option (b)... (a) is going to require you to learn some udev rules syntax....

google "udev rules udev.rules" and start reading...

#3 2005-02-14 23:49:16

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

#4 2005-02-15 06:04:59

xjedi

how do i tell programs like xine and kaffien to mount a diff device?

#5 2005-02-15 08:19:35

Pajaro

easy solution

add the ln command at the end of rc.local

#6 2005-02-15 15:57:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok one way to fix it is to shrink your signature... this isn't an ad-campaign it's a forum

another way is to go to the configuration... both xine and kaffine have a "preferences" menu....

#7 2005-02-15 16:30:14

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

actually, I can't find it in Kaffeine. :-S but I didn't look very hard. It picks up my CD-ROM drive just fine, which is connected to /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 rather than the default /dev/cdrom...

Dusty

#8 2005-02-15 16:39:29

tomk
Forum Fellow

phrakture wrote:

I prefer option (b)... (a) is going to require you to learn some udev rules syntax....

I used to feel that way about it, until last week, when I needed to do the same thing. The udev way is actually ridiculously easy - as Snowman says, read the wiki, or go here.

#9 2005-02-15 17:04:47

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Dusty wrote:

actually, I can't find it in Kaffeine.

here... found it in kaffeine

Go to Settings-->Xine Engine parameters
Go to the Media menu
Click Expert Options
Scroll down and change the device from /dev/dvd to whatever it should be.

Dusty

#10 2005-02-15 23:04:36

xjedi

phrakture wrote:

ok one way to fix it is to shrink your signature... this isn't an ad-campaign it's a forum

another way is to go to the configuration... both xine and kaffine have a "preferences" menu....

umm whats wrong with showing off my gimp skills? Ive used this sig everywhere.. noones has a problem with it.. its realy not that big. Im not trying to start anything but i didnt see any rules against it.. if there are i apologize and i will take it off, plain and simple.

And thanx everyone for helping. I just added the command to the local runlevel shell script

#11 2005-02-16 00:35:37

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

It does look big, but its not really any bigger than when people put their computer's specs in their signature in plain text. I don't really like that either, mind you. It does kinda draw a lot of attention away from the main post. If I was still on dialup (I'm not mwahahahaha!) I'd be pissed off to have to load it. I guess my recommendation is to downsize it or use your skills (they're very good) to make a smaller version.

Dusty

#12 2005-02-16 00:56:28

xjedi

Dusty wrote:

It does look big, but its not really any bigger than when people put their computer's specs in their signature in plain text. I don't really like that either, mind you. It does kinda draw a lot of attention away from the main post. If I was still on dialup (I'm not mwahahahaha!) I'd be pissed off to have to load it. I guess my recommendation is to downsize it or use your skills (they're very good) to make a smaller version.

Dusty

I used to being on forums where everyone has a sig picture sig like www.aquamark3.com. Plus the sig is only 76kbs it doesnt take much to load on 56k because i was on 56k when i first uploaded it LOL... 

Also i kinda want it to draw attention. It promotes my business lol. But as i have said before not many people have been upset with it untill now.. so ill take it off if its that much of a problem..  But if thats the case i could complain that you have no sig, or your sig is too short and it draws too little attention lol? it all depends on how you look at things and your opinion.

#13 2005-02-16 09:39:39

tomk
Forum Fellow

xjedi wrote:

its realy not that big.

Depends on the context, IMO. Over at Aquamark, everyone has one, as you mentioned, so yours is not out of place. Around here, nobody has a sig like yours, and as you're discovering, a lot of Archers don't like sigs like yours.

AFAIK, there are no rules, about it, but you now have a recommendation from a mod - if I were you, I'd follow it.

There's another thread elsewhere about blocking sigs, which is a direct result of your posts - that may or may not bother you.

My own objection is nothing to do with bandwidth and everything to do with aesthetics and context.

#14 2005-02-16 14:20:41

Pajaro

I also think that you should take out the big picture.

My opinion is that it dificults the reading of the post, because the big and intensive coloured picture distracts our eyes. Commercials use this tecnique to call our attention and make us read something that otherwise we would have ignored.

In example: I've never read a signature in this forum.I simply skip them when reading. But I've read yours.  :shock:

Adding more weight to my side of the balance, the signs hide the posts: I have to look for the text between your pictures.

#15 2005-02-16 15:35:29

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Personally I've adblocked the image so the advertising doesn't work on me. On the whole, I don't think anybody would demand you remove it, but in the context of this forum, it would be politer to do so, and would probably provide you with more respect and help pertaining to the original. These people have a habit of going off on a tangent like this, so you may get more 'change your sig' posts than actual help!!

Dusty

#16 2005-02-16 15:47:34

miqorz

Uh, the banner in xjedi's signature is large and obtrusive.

I'm considering installing adblock just to get rid of it.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#17 2005-02-16 16:14:50

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Dusty wrote:

These people have a habit of going off on a tangent like this, so you may get more 'change your sig' posts than actual help!!

why, whoever do you mean?

Seriously though... this is a competent linux users forum... no one here, and no one that browses this forum, cares about your computer specs... I'm going to guess you have an IRC macro all setup (probably called /SPEKZ because it's rad that way) to output your "spekz" in cascading colors...

I think I'm gonna change my sig to include the specs of my file server:

PENTIUM III 766 MHz BEEOTCHEZ!
256 MB 133 SDRAM
150 GB IDE HD (ATA66, HELLS YEAH)
*Running ArchLinux, cuz everthin else is fo' sissies!*

how's that? Am I cool now too?

#18 2005-02-16 16:16:19

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

No phrakture, don't use text cause I can't adblock text! :-D

Dusty

#19 2005-02-16 18:07:07

z4ziggy
Website

i choose a passive reaction - i simply ignore those posts.

#20 2005-02-18 12:52:44

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

dude - i have my laptop model in my sig so people can relate that to the probs I have - is that bad as well?  It actually helped once!

and also, to be fair and even handed, having

vim -c "%s%s*%ivz#fpevcgvat#ehyrf%|%s/#/ /g|norm ggVGg?ggVG~"

in your sig is a bit .... too isn't it?  :?

#21 2005-02-18 14:45:06

miqorz

dibblethewrecker wrote:

No.

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#22 2005-02-18 15:37:42

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

different beasts - I'm talking about sheer size... having computer info is all fine and dandy, but people who post everthing about their computer is a bit much... if I was to post my laptop, I'd say:

P4/HT 3.0GHz - 512MB - 60GB

or something to that effect, I wouldn't do:
Pentium Four with Hyperthreading Processor at 3000 Megahertz
512 Megabytes of Double Data Rate RAM
60 Gigabyte Hard Disk

I'm not talking about putting crap in your signature... that's fine, I'm talking about sheer space

#23 2005-02-19 03:48:37

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

fair enough!  I apologise in that case!

Board footer